Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

If it doesn't do anything anyway why not just ignote it and let it pass then. Why was blocking it so important

I mean I suppose Israel would freak out if they didn't, making actual ceasefire demands impossible? Israel is super big on symbolic gestures, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm not sure what is worse:

Bibi's obvious and unrestrained bloodlust to kill as many Palestinians as possible that go back to his special forces days, or the loving cynicism to do all this to openly provoke the Palestinians, purely to remain in power.

Aren't we hitting the point in the old Cold War dynamic where this might warrant a "regime change" of an ally? Bibi is clearly a threat to any Middle East policy as long as he runs Israel. I just don't see any other option at this point for any path going forward on a peace process than his removal from power.

Just a reminder, Lapid is the one who's currently tasked with forming a government since their last election. Hopefully Netanyahu won't be able to continue blocking it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Sean posted:

They can be criminals and still hold office.

Right, but when it comes to things like votes in the House or Senate, if they're in jail, are they just considered not present, or do they appoint someone to vote in their absence, or...

I guess what I'm asking is how much reaping is going to happen from the Republican kiddy diddlers sowing while thinking God-President Trump was going to protect them forever?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1395704160906063873

Lol he's now performatively talking himself into it in the media, looking good Senator Hamlet

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

I mean I suppose Israel would freak out if they didn't, making actual ceasefire demands impossible? Israel is super big on symbolic gestures, after all.

Why would Israel freak out if it does nothing.

Isn't the theory behind this latest attack that Bibi is a cynical realpolitik guy who fomented this massacre in order to rally support and divide his political opposition and he agreed to the cease fire once that goal succeeded? So why would he need to continue and risk all those gains because a meaningless "sternly worded letter" happened

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

zoux posted:

Lol he's now performatively talking himself into it in the media, looking good Senator Hamlet

That’s really cringe. He needs to stop 🛑 and step out of his persona for a moment. Maybe then he’ll realize how critical it is to nuke the filibuster.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Randalor posted:

Right, but when it comes to things like votes in the House or Senate, if they're in jail, are they just considered not present, or do they appoint someone to vote in their absence, or...

I guess what I'm asking is how much reaping is going to happen from the Republican kiddy diddlers sowing while thinking God-President Trump was going to protect them forever?

I'm pretty sure they just show up or they don't, like normal. That's a fair question, though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

zoux posted:

The Kabuki will go on.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Randalor posted:

traditionally there is no such thing as proxy voting. right now because of covid the house has limited proxy voting

a house member is privileged from arrest while going to or coming from voting, but i don't believe that has ever been interpreted as giving them a right to get out of jail to go vote

usually it's solved by congress expelling the criminal

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Vorik posted:

That’s really cringe. He needs to stop 🛑 and step out of his persona for a moment. Maybe then he’ll realize how critical it is to nuke the filibuster.

TBH if he doesn't act on killing the filibuster he may be in danger of getting primaried during the next elections, voters are gonna be real salty on his rear end if the extremely slim window to pass anything meaningful over the next decade falters because if his stubbornness.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Parrotine posted:

TBH if he doesn't act on killing the filibuster he may be in danger of getting primaried during the next elections, voters are gonna be real salty on his rear end if the extremely slim window to pass anything meaningful over the next decade falters because if his stubbornness.

The conclusion here seems contrary to reason.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Parrotine posted:

He's already likely to lose his next election, which he has to understand. He went from commanding a clear lead in his first election to his most recent one basically being a dead heat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, as we've beaten to death before, the last time progressives tried to primary him they got absolutely crushed. It's not happening.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

evilweasel posted:

traditionally there is no such thing as proxy voting. right now because of covid the house has limited proxy voting

a house member is privileged from arrest while going to or coming from voting, but i don't believe that has ever been interpreted as giving them a right to get out of jail to go vote

It seems increasingly likely that the Florida GOP's plan when they were caught on this sex trafficking ring was to have Trump installed as dictator so they could yell "I HAVE POWERFUL FRIENDS AT COURT!" "POWERFUL FRIENDS!" :byodood:

Too bad for them :unsmigghh:

gudetama
Apr 1, 2021

Vorik posted:

Is the little stop sign in there to help people understand what you meant by the word "stop"?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

gudetama posted:

Is the little stop sign in there to help people understand what you meant by the word "stop"?

Sometimes my phone keyboard puts related emojis right up next to the keyboard automatically, I've definitely accidentally clicked 🕐 before

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Parrotine posted:

If Manchin loses it will be to a republican in the general lol. he absolutely demolished the leftist primary challenger in ‘18. So if Manchin/Sinema do not budge then our only bet is to try and pick up at least 2 senate seats next year while losing none.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Sometimes my phone keyboard puts related emojis right up next to the keyboard automatically, I've definitely accidentally clicked 🕐 before

Yeah, newer phones autosuggest emojis based on what words you type.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh is that what's going on with those gimmick emoji posters.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He's already likely to lose his next election, which he has to understand. He went from commanding a clear lead in his first election to his most recent one basically being a dead heat.

the rumor is he wants to run for governor, which would make sense, and why he is still maintaining his brand instead of just going "gently caress y'all, im leaving, i do what i want" like a high school senior in the spring

people are getting better about realizing that who your senator supports for majority leader matters a lot more than what their views are, and so even well-liked democratic senators in red states are having a lot of trouble and have lost (heitkamp lost to someone who basically said "look we all love her, but we need a republican senator"). the same is not true of governors, which makes it a lot easier to talk people into crossing party lines to support someone from the opposite party for governor.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

What little I've gleaned of Sinema - especially her party hopping - makes her come across to me as too fundamentally shallow of a person to hold out for long as the lone defector on something important. Plus it's hard for me to imagine Biden or Schumer or the majority as a whole to keep playing nice for very long if they're truly down to literally one holdout.

But 1.) who loving knows and 2.) we still gotta get Manchin there to test this assessment.

She might also be so shallow she holds out forever. Its possible she's actually just a lovely person, consider that she's being shittier than Manchin who actually does have the excuse of being probably the only Democrat alive who can win WV, whereas AZ has shown it can do better than her.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vorik posted:

I don't really understand people who take everything that Manchin says at face value. It's politics, everything they say and do is performative, we should know this in the de facto politics thread.

Manchin appears to be fishing for something that is important enough it gives him cover to go along with nuking the filibuster. He's made some noises about voting rights issues that could be interpreted both ways, but that was most likely going to result in a carve-out for voting stuff. I'll be damned if the GOP actually gives Manchin a bloody shirt over the commission stuff. Maybe I just became overly cynical because of the Trump years, but this commission issue being hosed with seems to be getting much more play than I expected. It would be just too on brand if the thing that finally gets us there is kabuki theater over a congressional commission and not voting rights, healthcare, or any of the critical life or death issues that we need to kill the filibuster for.

I honestly read that statement by Manchin as a threat. Using the term "Patriots" is framing the issue in a way that reasonable minds cannot disagree, which is distinctively and dramatically different from the way Manchin typically frames things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I used the term "performing" in the actual post, I think we're all on the same page.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

Why would Israel freak out if it does nothing.

Are you...are you familiar with Israel?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

zoux posted:

I used the term "performing" in the actual post, I think we're all on the same page.

I know, I wasn't reacting to you.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Jarmak posted:

I don't really understand people who take everything that Manchin says at face value. It's politics, everything they say and do is performative, we should know this in the de facto politics thread.

Manchin appears to be fishing for something that is important enough it gives him cover to go along with nuking the filibuster. He's made some noises about voting rights issues that could be interpreted both ways, but that was most likely going to result in a carve-out for voting stuff. I'll be damned if the GOP actually gives Manchin a bloody shirt over the commission stuff. Maybe I just became overly cynical because of the Trump years, but this commission issue being hosed with seems to be getting much more play than I expected. It would be just too on brand if the thing that finally gets us there is kabuki theater over a congressional commission and not voting rights, healthcare, or any of the critical life or death issues that we need to kill the filibuster for.

I honestly read that statement by Manchin as a threat. Using the term "Patriots" is framing the issue in a way that reasonable minds cannot disagree, which is distinctively and dramatically different from the way Manchin typically frames things.

I hope you're right, but I mean this is the first time in modern politics that we've come this close to nuking the legislative filibuster so it's hard to know what's theater and what are their actual positions. FWIW I'm not sure if there will be anything more important than HR1 and the AFP on Biden's agenda before midterms so if they're gonna pull the trigger, well, the clock's ticking.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The commission is the best choice for breaking the filibuster because a bunch of House Republicans voted for it after it gave Republicans a bunch of concessions. It is a bipartisan agreement. Any call that this is a Democratic power grab are swatted away with "it passed the house with a ton of Republican votes and gives Republicans equal power" boom done, put your fingers in your ears and say it again and again because any counter-arguments are meaningless.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://mobile.twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1395730553249349635

Primary challenger to Liz Cheney

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Romeo was 15 or 16

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:barf:

Increasing confirmation that Qanon was entirely projection

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

According to the comments, they got married, then divorced, and then she killed herself when she was 20.

We call this The Aristocrats!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

mobby_6kl posted:

According to the comments, they got married, then divorced, and then she killed herself when she was 20.

Jesus christ, that poor woman. :(

Because the world is cruel, I predict this guy will be the winner of the anti-Cheney primary.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

It was like the Romeo and Juliet story in that there was a suicide

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So does this guy have a detailed explainer up on his campaign site about this yet or maybe a t-shirt that answers these questions

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Like I get being 15/16 and dating a 14 year old to some capacity, but at 18 you look like an adult going to college, and she looks like a an early teen out of middle school. You are a pedophile dude. It's called "grooming".

I'm sure this is one of those great defenders of child marriages. It's wierd how this sounds more and more like a statatory Rape covered up by a quick forced marriage, but based on Gaetz and Trump the GOP seems pretty into that

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I guess Liz will live to see another term.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

There is one (1) senator I'm aware of who was convicted and sentenced to jail but continued to serve: Truman Newberry, elevator aficionado and star of a somewhat dumb Supreme Court case in 1921. He was found guilty of election overspending against Henry Ford (lol) and sentenced to two years in prison.

Now, I can't find clear reporting about when or whether he actually wound up serving time, but the Senate allowed him to stay a while during his appeal process. I'm almost certain that last time I looked this up he did in fact cast votes in the Senate between his conviction/sentencing and the Supreme Court reversing his conviction. Having trouble finding the citation for the voting on el telefono.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 21, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

He was found guilty of election overspending against Henry Ford (lol) and sentenced to two years in prison.

This was a felony offense at one point?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

Only because the opponent was a Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

violated a clause of the federal corrupt practices act of 1910: thou shalt not spend more than ten thousand dollars of thy own money on thy senate election

well, originally convicted for a violation, the supreme court decided he didn't because primary elections aren't elections, so congress can't regulate anything about them

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 21, 2021