Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Same with excavators, my family has a company and I was p surprised at how little of a process there is before a dude is ploinked into one of those bad boys.
isn't your family's company the one responsible for training and vetting people before they ploink them in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

ElBrak posted:

The one thing I look forward to most as my state opens things up again is driving a forklift again. I usually do AV jobs for my Union, but every now and again I take jobs unloading poo poo with a forklift. I just hope things aren't a diaster when concerts and conventions happen again.

When our shop opened back up after our states big shutdown, moving some stuff around with the forklift was one of the first things I did.

Felt good.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

jetz0r posted:

The jet of clean fire going straight up at the start of the video is the BLEVE relief valve venting gas from the propane tank. The valve is attempting to let pressure out so the tank doesn't explode, or at least delay and reduce the severity of an explosion if the tank is being heated faster than pressure can be reduced.

If you see that, it's a sign that you should be running away or looking for cover.

Speaking of BLEVE relief valves in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX8RUR-WgAY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Armitag3 posted:

Please be aware that I am incredibly stupid, but isn't there a way to slowly rotate it the other way to help unravel?

That may help get your auger back, but the cables themselves are probably a writeoff now. They may have been bent too far and snapped, or pulled too hard and broken somewhere underground

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

haveblue posted:

That may help get your auger back, but the cables themselves are probably a writeoff now. They may have been bent too far and snapped, or pulled too hard and broken somewhere underground

Yup. That's a very bad day for a lot of people involved.

What are the odds that the utility markers hosed up marking before he started drilling? Imagine if that was a clandestine NSA fiber optic setup.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Imagine if that was a clandestine NSA fiber optic setup.
that would be a win!

schmug
May 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/eriksolheim/status/1395650753289756680?s=21

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

This would explain why there were so many empty industrial areas in Cyberpunk 2077.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Today in 1946, Louis Slotin had a whoopsie-doodle with a screwdriver.

Happy Demon Core Day, everyone!

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Cthulu Carl posted:

Today in 1946, Louis Slotin had a whoopsie-doodle with a screwdriver.

Happy Demon Core Day, everyone!

More like Louis Slot-out

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Soon capitalism won't even need the people its supposed to benefit.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/may/19/gwyneth-paltrows-goop-sued-vagina-scented-candle

I'm not sure there is anything more OSHA than a fireball spewing vagina scented candle. This motivated me to actually register my account and contribute.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Harry_Potato posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/may/19/gwyneth-paltrows-goop-sued-vagina-scented-candle

I'm not sure there is anything more OSHA than a fireball spewing vagina scented candle. This motivated me to actually register my account and contribute.

I thought it was only that Texas occurrence, but apparently there was another vagina candle exploding in London too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NetworkRailEUS/status/1395742393001988102

"This is the cabinet with electricity. But, it has too much electricity".

(Apparently a signal relay box that managed to get 25kv from an overhead line through it)

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I'm not a candle expert, but is an explosion a common failure mode?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Harry_Potato posted:

Yeah this has been happening, not sure how you gently caress up making a candle that bad, but they certainly did it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Air pockets in the wax as it settles and cools in manufacturing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the deadliest queef of all

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yellow Yoshi posted:

you can tell from the look on his face that he appreciates a good spaghetti wherever it happens

a surveyor friend of mine told me about a time this happened with a fiber optic line that carried most of the phone and internet traffic for the city of ottawa. the guy running the auger shut down the machine, put the keys on the seat, left the job site and never came back

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I assume the glass was defective and couldn't handle high temperature for that long. I've had candles in glass containers that got pretty hot, too hot to hold comfortably in my bare hands. Though I don't know why anyone burns a candle for longer than an hour. You want the scent to develop in the room. If you want the aesthetic of open flame and soft lighting, you buy scentless pillar candles.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Would be kinda surprising if only one single candle out of the batch had the problem so yeah there's probably a bunch of these around

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

value-brand cereal posted:

I assume the glass was defective and couldn't handle high temperature for that long. I've had candles in glass containers that got pretty hot, too hot to hold comfortably in my bare hands. Though I don't know why anyone burns a candle for longer than an hour. You want the scent to develop in the room. If you want the aesthetic of open flame and soft lighting, you buy scentless pillar candles.
I just saw an Etsy shop for somebody who pours candles into vintage glassware. Not tempered vintage glassware, just jadeite cups and vases. I closed the tab and tiptoed slowly backward.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just saw an Etsy shop for somebody who pours candles into vintage glassware. Not tempered vintage glassware, just jadeite cups and vases. I closed the tab and tiptoed slowly backward.

Open that tab back up and find the fine print where they state they're not to be burned only used for decoration, which is even more funny.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Speaking of questionable exploding candles, here's Ann Reardon explaining why 5 minute hacks can sometimes explode or give you third degree burns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdaKrT9x1Zc

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qtgr1xRMCK1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qtgapcUnyl1qejbir.mp4

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
I was already clenching my buttcheeks while waiting for the sewer gas kaboom.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Hamster Huey and the Poo-ey Kablooey.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What even went wrong there? he didn't torch the actual cylinder or connectors. It looked like the torch was pointed about 6 inches away from the valves, and there must have been <whatever that is> escaping from a leak, which got ignited?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
He found a leak, yes

Enoch Root
Aug 28, 2007

redreader posted:

What even went wrong there? he didn't torch the actual cylinder or connectors. It looked like the torch was pointed about 6 inches away from the valves, and there must have been <whatever that is> escaping from a leak, which got ignited?

Acetylene, usually used for soldering but is also useful for warming up the lead in a closet flange. He's lucky he had a b-tank with an actual handle, most of the ones I've used need a key or a crescent wrench to shut the needle valve. The torch assembly itself has its own valve but if the leak is upsteam of that, well, hope you have the key handy!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1395822463796359174

Why don't they just raise the monorail?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Monorails are the dirigibles of rail vehicles.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

raising the monorail is really more of a shelbyville idea

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

That's the look of a little motherfucker who knows exactly what he's doing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Is there a chance the track is bent?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

According to my lawyer friend, Mickey Mouse took out a $15 million insurance policy last month and it went into effect *on tuesday* of this week.

It will almost certainly settle out of court with zero coverage but there’s a non-zero chance that Mickey is hosed. Of course he’s rich as hell so he won’t change anything about his bullshit behavior for literally over 70 years but it’s still nice to know he might die shamed and alone having alienated his few remaining fans. He might finally see that the happy families exploring his parks don’t fill the void so much as define the void.

What a loving fall from grace, my god. He used to be one of the most popular mice on the planet and now he’s just a widower peering through the blinds at other people living a real life that he gave up for money.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

If you think that's sad you should see what's happened to Donald. I'm just glad Daisy got out in time.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://giant.gfycat.com/HarmfulFaintAnemoneshrimp.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

So people hanging around the current eruption in Iceland started noticing a slight issue with their hair.