Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I agree that if Berserk needed to end, here is the best place it could have ended at basically any point in its story to date. Casca is regaining herself, she would have gotten to the point where she could approach Guts and talk to him. Guts was able to rest and was in safety, his followers are also safe, they're not on the loving boat....

But this is just not how it should have ended, the way Miura died is not fair (and I know this happens every day to people who aren't famous, but it's not loving fair then either). I feel selfish because it feels like life stole more Berserk from me, more Miura masterpieces, but the actual tragedy is that the Miura family lost Kentaro way too young, and he gave too much of his life to make his legacy. And I love his legacy, it'll be eternal and extends far beyond the work itself, but the way it had to end feels so wrong.

The fact that he was just a genuinely good person, making sure others were okay, not embroiled in defending the skeezy pedo poo poo in manga recently, hurts more.

I know, none of it is fair. 54 is too early for anybody. That a genius of his medium was taken that early - let alone a genius who was a genuinely good person with so many relationships in in the industry and who paid his success forward to those working under him - is beyond cruel. All the more so since the medical complications that lead to his death were almost certainly the result of the industry he was working in. Even after he had finally been able to take some time to himself (hopefully) with the hiatuses, how much he wrecked his body in his earlier years finally caught up with him. I keep using the word tragic, but I can't think of another one. He had so much left to give and take from the world that he'll never have the chance to now.

e. No matter what, I genuinely hope it's true:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Puukko naamassa posted:

I wish more mangaka took Mizuki-sensei's advice:

You shouldn't have to go through a world war and lose an arm to realize that destroying your health by overworking is not worth it.

Both Tezuka and Ishinomori died at 60, which is not far off from Miura; the industry is hosed up beyond belief

I love this thread of various little and big guys and penis people from Berserk

https://twitter.com/HeresyL0ud/status/1395433967575310338

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Miura giving his staff stability and the opportunity to build their own lives is the best ending for Berserk.

I'm so sad he's gone.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/cirenkoyenk/status/1395421927712325635?s=20

Well, it's something

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

I love this thread of various little and big guys and penis people from Berserk

https://twitter.com/HeresyL0ud/status/1395433967575310338

https://twitter.com/HeresyL0ud/status/1395439754024529928

i had a talk with friends about how great berserk monsters are and this little fellow showed up as an example, and i just wanna point out how its both memorable, very nice and simple, rather goofy, but also the art is composed in such a way that its goofy, harmless appearance is incredibly ominous. Miura could make big scary ornate creatures, but he could do a lot more and knew how to utilize them to make them more intimidating than most attempts at fantasy monstrosities.

e: and he knew how to make them so goddamn weird

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 21, 2021

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Schnoz is iconic.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
A lot of monsters are inspired by art of mythical creatures or even real animals. Its always funny finding something while reading mythology that was depicted in berserk. The sea monsters from ship chapters are mostly real ocean animals.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

temple posted:

A lot of monsters are inspired by art of mythical creatures or even real animals. Its always funny finding something while reading mythology that was depicted in berserk. The sea monsters from ship chapters are mostly real ocean animals.

I think a lot of artists and designers just reference prior material from media they liked (or are forced to by marketing dorks) rather than having that much respect for how things like arms and armor actually need to work and be designed around, or are willing to really look and study weird creatures for inspiration or reference to make things look credible even if they're bizarre monstrosities. Mostly because doing it the latter way is hard and if youre not really that interested in the subject matter, pretty dull as well. Miura obviously put a lot of time and effort to create his depictions and craft them in unique and inspired ways, which I've always admired.

It always seems like a bit of an overly pedantic thing to go on about but I find when I read about creative processes for really great, genre defining works, they are done by people with a huge amount of interest and admiration in things outside media. The effort for authenticity shows thru, even if the viewer isn't an expert at all themselves.

e: and of course, tbf, all artists rip off each other

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 21, 2021

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Here's a neat thread showing off some of the art references https://twitter.com/Henrique_Lage/status/1395259303792099329?s=19

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One thing I really appreciated was how deep Miura went on the false Christ theme with Griffith, making him the object of worship of an early Christian apocalypse cult, destroying the beast of revelation and creating his own heaven on earth, it was pretty cook to see a story take that concept and imagery and use them as a serious focus of the story and not just as superficial set dressing

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think a lot of artists and designers just reference prior material from media they liked (or are forced to by marketing dorks) rather than having that much respect for how things like arms and armor actually need to work and be designed around, or are willing to really look and study weird creatures for inspiration or reference to make things look credible even if they're bizarre monstrosities. Mostly because doing it the latter way is hard and if youre not really that interested in the subject matter, pretty dull as well. Miura obviously put a lot of time and effort to create his depictions and craft them in unique and inspired ways, which I've always admired.

It always seems like a bit of an overly pedantic thing to go on about but I find when I read about creative processes for really great, genre defining works, they are done by people with a huge amount of interest and admiration in things outside media. The effort for authenticity shows thru, even if the viewer isn't an expert at all themselves.

e: and of course, tbf, all artists rip off each other

I think part of what makes Miura a great artist is that he appreciates great art.

temple fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 21, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Devastating news. As someone who got into anime & manga in the early 00s Berserk always felt like an institution. At that time folks still talked about the 90s anime on a fairly regular basis, and reading those janky scans of the manga was very formative for me. Even though I fell off of the manga so many years ago, it was always nice to see it still going strong and I kept thinking about how someday I should really catch up. I had made peace with the idea that it might never get a proper ending, but this was never how I imagined it would go down.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

temple posted:

I think part of what make Miura a great artist is that he appreciates great art.

Yeah, that is also very important, I was being too reductionist. Great art can broaden your horizons for understanding and appreciating various aesthetics and designs. I think the takeaway is that its good to broaden your own studies of whatever it is you're trying to depict and work to incorporate them into your own vision.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I've been reading and rereading Berserk since I was 14, I am now 29. I feel a very strange sense of loss that I don't know how to articulate to friends. I have in the past, when depressed, binge read the series over a weekend. Guts' story, and Miura's art, always provided me with enormous comfort and escape when I needed it most. I wish I could have told Miura what his work has meant to me. I wish I could have told him that even for how much I love Berserk, I would never have said it was worth the price of his health.

I don't know if there is a greater mangaka. His talent was kaleidoscopic. For my money, Kentaro Miura was one of the greatest storytellers of our time.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This is why those timetables of manga artist' workweek with like 3-4 hours of free time for the whole week are depressing (adding to the obvious negative health effects) - with that volume of daily grind, you just dont have time to read or watch something that may inspire you and help your own creative work.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
What a loss for the world---I guess in terms of sheer Magnum Opus scope, let alone influence near and far, this is probably the worst utterly premature loss since and beyond the likes of Guin Saga? Though perhaps some cues can be taken from that for after the fact and Epilogue wranglings, if any manifest.

Definitely drives the drumbeat harder to live better and take time to really, actively pursue the good stuff as things can get cut so horribly short.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Out of all the scenes in berserk, this is the one that rocked my world. This was my moment of closure.
Its such a small thing but so meaningful. That's what Berserk captures better than any other story I've read. Those small but important moments of humanity.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Since we're sharing other people fanboying over Miura's incredible sense of design I'll throw in this;

https://bogleech.com/halloween/hall14-trollcaves.html

He goes page by page of the Qilpoth chapter talking about every little beastie there is, talking about the real world animals that possibly inspired them or just marvelling at the strange ideas. Each description is just a few sentences but it really shows the density of unique creatures Miura creates for just one or two panels.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmmm. This is a very cryptic tweet but the amount of times its been shared shows people are reading it as this guy is Miura's heir apparent. When it could just mean he's going to do his best now that he has to try to make his own manga if Studio Gaga no longer exists.

Who knows. I mean, I'm sure the publisher would like more Berserk as it sells so well but I don't know if any artist is really fit to take over. I do not want a "Kevin J Anderson writes Dune sequels" situation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems like the general consensus so far is that Miura's assistant is taking over the series but yeah, it could also be possible it just means he’s going to be starting a project of his own. We’ll see I suppose.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If there is more to come I will trust his assistant's who helped him for years complete chapters to do him justice. It won't be the same, but I'd still take it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I was looking at the schedule of the manga over the years and it kind of fits with the idea of people not really realizing they're mortal until they hit their 40s. From 1992 to around 2006 Miura's schedule was insane, pumping out these chapters on an almost monthly basis. It was only when he turned 41-42 that the chapter releases really started to become more sparse, culminating when he was 44 and only 1 chapter was released. Part of this could also have to do with him deciding to up the detail at the expense of schedule, now that he had enough money from royalties and so forth to not have to keep to a schedule, but health and the growing appreciation that mortality exists was probably part of it too.

I've seen this happen in the vfx industry where guys do burnout hours for 10-15 years and then in their early 40s as a lead or supervisor they realize its killing them. An old supe had to go lie on a boat for 3 weeks after delivering a trailer for some poo poo film because the client had us in the studio for 4 months from 9 am to 1 am. Alcoholism is rampant, and some use harder drugs too to keep the energy up when caffeine isn't doing the trick anymore. I got out to go back to making kids cartoons cause they let me put in an 8 hour day and call it quits.

It's got to be even more pressure when its not a client but both an editor and 'your life's work' that's keeping you in the studio at all times.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Working as a Technical Artist in the Game Industry has hosed me up to the point I went from "doesn't take any drugs, square as gently caress" to taking meds whose only purpose is reduce the withdrawal effect of other meds, plural, so I can function properly which is getting harder by the year. Considerably.

Last game I worked on I was working from the moment I woke up until the moment I slept to a boss who pretty much bragged about having no idea what was going on in the coding side.

Some industries are cursed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Larryb posted:

Seems like the general consensus so far is that Miura's assistant is taking over the series but yeah, it could also be possible it just means he’s going to be starting a project of his own. We’ll see I suppose.

It's a completely baseless assumption in every single way.
Hakusensha will announce what will happen to Berserk in time, but the most likely outcome is that it's over, they'll still make merch & publish anything not in a volume yet though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's a completely baseless assumption in every single way.
Hakusensha will announce what will happen to Berserk in time, but the most likely outcome is that it's over, they'll still make merch & publish anything not in a volume yet though.

Fair enough, and as others have said the last published chapter works well enough as an ending in a sense (I forget though, are there any plot threads that still remain unresolved?)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Larryb posted:

Fair enough, and as others have said the last published chapter works well enough as an ending in a sense (I forget though, are there any plot threads that still remain unresolved?)

Aside from the Godhand having got everything they wanted and having turned most of the material realm into hell on earth?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Rickert can handle it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

hatty posted:

Rickert can handle it

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

hatty posted:

Rickert can handle it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Read the second chapter

You little poo poo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Puck is the most undersung hero of Berserk.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I should probably read Berserk now, huh?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Pollyanna posted:

I should probably read Berserk now, huh?

Yup.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Are the two Berserk animes worth watching? And what particular arcs do they each cover?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Larryb posted:

Are the two Berserk animes worth watching? And what particular arcs do they each cover?

The 90s anime primarily covers the Golden Age arc, and is worth watching, same with the Golden Age movies. The 2016 CGI anime covers later arcs and is a notorious trash fire that should be ignored.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Really only problem with the 90's anime is that the prologue arc is just gutted. The Golden Age arc itself is done really quite well but you lose some important context from the prologue.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

The 90s anime primarily covers the Golden Age arc, and is worth watching, same with the Golden Age movies. The 2016 CGI anime covers later arcs and is a notorious trash fire that should be ignored.

What’s wrong with the 2016 version exactly?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Larryb posted:

They gave it to an inexperienced director at an inexperienced studio and they squandered their pre-production time trying to figure out the CG pipeline, then had to put the show together in a slapdash panic. It moves badly, has bad camera work, laughable crowd simulations, bad shading, bad sound design, etc etc.

We got two good new Susumu Hirasawa songs out of it but that's about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It looks something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E40KiYBJAHM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Larryb posted:

and on and on and on