Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

My boyfriend and I do the Spotify Premium Duo. Two premium accounts for 13$ total so it's like 6.5$ a person. Even with that, I refuse to listen to podcasts on Spotify. The functionality is not as good as Pocket Casts, and I STILL get ads. I've just decided that I won't listen to any Spotify exclusive podcast, which works because the only one I was listening to before they went exclusive was LPotL. So I'm loving the alternative recommendations you guys keep posting, even if a lot of them aren't really my style. I'm going to give Redhanded a shot later though.

Edit: What a lovely snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Halloween Liker posted:

Love Has Won cult.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Has_Won

Their Youtube channel (LoveHasWon) is up and they are still uploading videos.

Heres one with "Mom" from March
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCPq5ocJFCU

Bit of an update on this:
https://twitter.com/GuardianUS/status/1392593960711958528

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The Seattle/TikTok zombie woman.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Halloween Liker posted:

I just googled that to see wtf you were talking about, and I can stomach some terrible videos, but just seeing stills in articles and reading that it was legit medical distress made some primal lizard part of my brain refuse to click play and want to just throw my phone away.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Halloween Liker posted:

Awwww :(

I hope she's okay. Seen a few patients like that in the ER.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Busket Posket posted:

I just googled that to see wtf you were talking about, and I can stomach some terrible videos, but just seeing stills in articles and reading that it was legit medical distress made some primal lizard part of my brain refuse to click play and want to just throw my phone away.
Same. Just sad man :(

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Sarcopenia posted:

Same. Just sad man :(

:( :respek: :(

Moving on...

The blood seeped through her ceiling where the fan was running, causing it to splatter across the room

Woman wakes to blood dripping from ceiling of apartment in Texas

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/BoltzmannBooty/status/1394796172255039488?s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's how Mueller and Comey made their bones.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Does homebrew count? It is kinda lame for this thread's standards, but my step-father woke up yesterday to a bloodied house. Just a continuous trail of blood drippings from their dorm upstairs to mine, downstairs and in the opposite side or the house. Nobody else was there at the time, he's fine, our cats are fine and neither have any blood on them. There's no dead carcass, feathers, hair or any trail that evidences a wounded animal trying to hide or flee through a window. Just a bloody trail from one room to another, which then disappears entirely. We don't have a lot of wildlife here either, short of some small birds and corvids and maybe a mouse or two.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Shellception posted:

Does homebrew count? It is kinda lame for this thread's standards, but my step-father woke up yesterday to a bloodied house. Just a continuous trail of blood drippings from their dorm upstairs to mine, downstairs and in the opposite side or the house. Nobody else was there at the time, he's fine, our cats are fine and neither have any blood on them. There's no dead carcass, feathers, hair or any trail that evidences a wounded animal trying to hide or flee through a window. Just a bloody trail from one room to another, which then disappears entirely. We don't have a lot of wildlife here either, short of some small birds and corvids and maybe a mouse or two.

Don't want to panic you but recent experience has taught me that cats can indeed bleed from their rear end without getting blood anywhere on them while also trying to get away from the blood coming from their rear end leaving blood everywhere and you forcing bubblegum flavored antibiotics into them for weeks. Call your vet.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/M__Verbruggen/status/1394877995878424579?s=19

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

absolutely loving evil

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Desert Bus posted:

Don't want to panic you but recent experience has taught me that cats can indeed bleed from their rear end without getting blood anywhere on them while also trying to get away from the blood coming from their rear end leaving blood everywhere and you forcing bubblegum flavored antibiotics into them for weeks. Call your vet.

:stonk:. Well, al least I know which one of all the assholes we have is the prime suspect. Any more blood droplets and she's getting shipped to the vet right away.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Shellception posted:

:stonk:. Well, al least I know which one of all the assholes we have is the prime suspect. Any more blood droplets and she's getting shipped to the vet right away.

My cat is a master trash and hair eater and the diagnosis was "dumbass ate something dumb probably." But def check your litter boxes for gross poops and so forth.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/847120560677097472?s=20

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Shellception posted:

Is she spayed? Queens in heat get periods and don't use little kitty tampons.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.
I don't know about you but I sure feel safer now that the sad pizza guy who tried to talk someone out of committing acts of violence is off the streets and in prison, where he will have nothing to do but slave labor stew in his resentment at the government that pulled bullshit like that! There's no chance someone could be radicalized by that process.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Is she spayed? Queens in heat get periods and don't use little kitty tampons.

Hahaha, yeah, she's spayed. We picked her from the streets and she had already been a mom at like 7 months old, so no more heat or kittens for the little lady.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TorpedoFish posted:

I don't know about you but I sure feel safer now that the sad pizza guy who tried to talk someone out of committing acts of violence is off the streets and in prison, where he will have nothing to do but slave labor stew in his resentment at the government that pulled bullshit like that! There's no chance someone could be radicalized by that process.

In the second season of Confession Tapes there's a case of a loner kid getting entrapped by a highly paid FBI informant. Later he traveled to Pakistan for a wedding and they got him to "confess" he'd gone there for terrorist training but where he claimed the camp was is a forested area. It was also close enough to a CIA office they could've strolled down to confirm the information. I think he got put away for more than 20 years.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's a guy who traveled from the US to Albania to Pakistan to gitmo visiting family, and he got picked up and interned for half his life because he had the same name as a suspected terrorist.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Groovelord Neato posted:

In the second season of Confession Tapes there's a case of a loner kid getting entrapped by a highly paid FBI informant. Later he traveled to Pakistan for a wedding and they got him to "confess" he'd gone there for terrorist training but where he claimed the camp was is a forested area. It was also close enough to a CIA office they could've strolled down to confirm the information. I think he got put away for more than 20 years.
Oh, hey, now that I think about it, this also reminds me of the Fort Dix "plot" from 2007.

It starts the way all chilling criminal plots do: A group of guys, including three brothers and their brother-in-law, dropped off a video to be converted to DVD at Circuit City. The video was of their recent vacation in the Poconos, doing things like skiing, playing paintball, shooting at a range, and other vacation stuff. They were Muslim, so this was clearly an indication of a terrorist plot, and the FBI got involved.

Among the damning evidence against these men: one of them had a map of Fort Dix, an Army (now joint Army/AF) base in Central Jersey. He worked as a delivery driver for his family's restaurant, and they delivered on base, and the map was just a basic street map with low detail, but it was cited as evidence of recon for their terrorist plot.

One of them, at one point, listened to a lecture by a radical Yemeni cleric, who was later killed without due process in a drone strike ordered by Obama. He told his brothers they should listen to the lecture as well.

Another guy talked, on at least one occasion, about a hypothetical plan to hit an area with lots of soldiers. He allegedly conducted reconnaissance trips to several military installations, which mostly consisted of "driving there and looking at the fence line and gates while talking poo poo to his new friend the FBI informant."

They allegedly conducted "tactical training" in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, which has basically zero undeveloped space and is extremely suburban; unless you're training to breach a suburban home I genuinely can't imagine what sort of tactical training you could do anywhere in the town.

Under significant pressure from two informants, who attempted to set up deals, the group allegedly attempted to buy firearms on the black market.

One guy got off light with 5 years for weapons charges. The others got at least life sentences, despite one of the informants essentially recanting their story and openly saying that they guys didn't know anything about a plot because there was no plot, there was at most some guys talking poo poo about a violent fantasy.

At least one of them graduated from my high school a year or two before I did, and pretty much everyone was astonished by the suggestion that any of these guys were actual terrorist conspirators. It seemed pretty clear to people who knew them, and from one of the informants, that they were a bunch of unhappy kids in their early 20s who were at most talking a big game and liked shooting guns.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Sorry to stray from the topic at hand, but I just need to say that I wish I never loving listened to Sword and Scale. One of the episodes really hosed me up and I can’t seem to forget it. I won’t go into detail, just a high level description: the one where a man talks about sexually assaulting his son and nearly killing him What a trashy, disrespectful podcast.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Peter Yarrow, of the folk group Peter, Paul and Mary, was convicted of molesting a 14-year-old in 1969 and was pardoned by President Carter in 1981. Yarrow gets to move on and has. Everybody around him is pretty blasé the whole thing, including the victim's sister. More accusations have surfaced against him.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Ripped from the headlines : It was just like Romeo and Juliette.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/554730-cheney-primary-challenger-impregnated-14-year-old-when-he-was-18
His victim eventually committed suicide after they broke up, and he some how manages to drag his estranged son, but the real problem is that this is why good people don't enter politics, cause people will just keep bringing up your rapes to drag you down...

longer article
https://trib.com/news/state-and-reg...cd0f832eda.html

"This is really a message about how dirty politics is," said Bouchard, one of Wyoming's most prominent gun rights advocates. "They'll stop at nothing, man, when you get in the lead and when you're somebody that can't be controlled, you're somebody who works for the people. They'll come after you. That's why good people don't run for office."

WaywardWoodwose has a new favorite as of 17:56 on May 21, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It is an immensely unnerving rabbit hole just wondering how many of the shooting sprees of the last 30 years were situations like this guy where American intelligence/security orgs just goaded and pushed some lonely idiot along with no regard for what could happen (if we stop him we get a medal, if he does a shooting spree we get more funding).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Ripped from the headlines : It was just like Romeo and Juliette.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/554730-cheney-primary-challenger-impregnated-14-year-old-when-he-was-18
His victim eventually committed suicide after they broke up, and he some how manages to drag his estranged son, but the real problem is that this is why good people don't enter politics, cause people will just keep bringing up your rapes to drag you down...

longer article
https://trib.com/news/state-and-reg...cd0f832eda.html

"This is really a message about how dirty politics is," said Bouchard, one of Wyoming's most prominent gun rights advocates. "They'll stop at nothing, man, when you get in the lead and when you're somebody that can't be controlled, you're somebody who works for the people. They'll come after you. That's why good people don't run for office."

You know in Romeo and Juliet, Romeo also kills himself.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Rest In Peace Aaliyah, she had some unnerving things going on in her tragically short career

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 20:16 on May 21, 2021

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Hooray, Caitlin Doughty just put out a video about the Love Has Won cult!

Is It Legal to Mummify Your Cult Leader?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I live in Lincoln, NE, and I'd never really looked into the Starkweather case. It's a small city and all the important locations are still here.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
El Salvador police arrested an ex-officer for two murders. Then they found a mass grave of women in his yard

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Surprised this hasn't popped up here yet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57166662

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't this like the third time? Honestly him and the isdal women are the two killings I'm ninety percent sure are some cold war spycraft.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Don't think he's ever been exhumed. I've read about people wanting to do it, but they never did.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The secret deportations: how Britain betrayed the Chinese men who served the country in the war.

Liverpool had a sizable Chinese population through World War II and many men naturally helped out with the merchant navy. Shortly after the war, Liverpool covertly rounded up the men and forcibly deported them, even if the men had married British wives and fathered children. None were told it was going to happen and families were not told it did. Many thought they had been abandoned and went to their graves without knowing the truth.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Double post of sorts, but I spotted an article I missed from a few weeks ago.

A DNA profile has been obtained from the "Boy in the Box", an unsolved murder from Philadelphia in 1957. There's really not much to say about the case itself over the years, a male child was found deceased alongside a road in a box. Pretty much nothing concrete can be established beyond that. Theories have come, supposed eyewitness accounts of the boy made, but no solid evidence, nothing.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The secret deportations: how Britain betrayed the Chinese men who served the country in the war.

Liverpool had a sizable Chinese population through World War II and many men naturally helped out with the merchant navy. Shortly after the war, Liverpool covertly rounded up the men and forcibly deported them, even if the men had married British wives and fathered children. None were told it was going to happen and families were not told it did. Many thought they had been abandoned and went to their graves without knowing the truth.
Wow. Thank you for posting this. I had absolutely no idea that this happened, but I can't say that I'm surprised.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Repatriation of Cossacks after World War II

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anybody who saw Goldeneye knows of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
prob sex thing and not spies tbh

wisconsingreg has a new favorite as of 05:25 on May 29, 2021