Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

Micheal Rosen saying the protocols of zion photoshop was done by the gnasherjew account. Which I gather they have now issued legal threats over.

Ok sorry wait what. So this "gnasher jew" does a tasteless photoshop; then some oval office uses it in a libellous way; then Michael Rosen, one of the people in the doctored photo, says "ah it seems 'gnasher jew' has done this photoshop"; and then... "gnasher jew" threatens to sue Michael Rosen? For what, smearing the good name of... "gnasher jew"? By saying something that's 1) true 2) by itself relatively harmless? :confused:

I don't understand anything any more

e: 119 is what you call in the UK if you want to book a Covid-19 vaccine and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Murdoch's sapient belly demands BBCs market share. No advert free broadcast, no advert free website, all will be consumed by Sky.

Murdoch hasn't owned Sky for quite a while now. In fact I don't think there's any major cross-media ownership any more (GB News was set up by a bunch of people from Liberty, who own Virgin , but Virgin sold all their TV channels to Sky ages ago and I don't think Liberty have any actual ownership stake) - Uncle Rupert was the last of the old-fashioned moguls that way.

In any case it's not about profit - Murdoch almost never makes a profit off of news (and even the rest of his media arm is only propped up by the occasional spectacular win from 20th Century Fox like Avatar) - it's that the idea of a broadcaster even *theoretically* not beholden to him and his class is like a cross to a vampire. This is also why the Tories have such a hate boner for it, for that matter.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

jaete posted:

Ok sorry wait what. So this "gnasher jew" does a tasteless photoshop; then some oval office uses it in a libellous way; then Michael Rosen, one of the people in the doctored photo, says "ah it seems 'gnasher jew' has done this photoshop"; and then... "gnasher jew" threatens to sue Michael Rosen? For what, smearing the good name of... "gnasher jew"? By saying something that's 1) true 2) by itself relatively harmless? :confused:

I don't understand anything any more

e: 119 is what you call in the UK if you want to book a Covid-19 vaccine and such

Gnasherjew just approvingly shared the image on their Facebook page instead of creating it. Which makes legal action pretty toothless as mistakenly crediting them as the creators wouldn't harm their reputation in any meaningful way

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Was it here I read that GnasherJew isn't actually even Jewish? My partner seems to think they are but I'm sure I heard they aren't. If anyone could clear that up I'd appreciate it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jakabite posted:

Was it here I read that GnasherJew isn't actually even Jewish? My partner seems to think they are but I'm sure I heard they aren't. If anyone could clear that up I'd appreciate it.

Euan Philipps isn't jewish at least

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Luke Akehurst isn't jewish either, which was quite a surprise to me when I found out the other day.

A lot of the most emotionally-invested supporters of Israel don't actually seem to be Jewish: I think they should probably find a new hobby.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Just to reignite entertainment-chat, and in particular my bemoaning of series now just being one long sequel hook - I've (re)discovered the exact opposite of this.

I present for the thread's consideration, Minder. I remembered it from when I was a kid as "Arthur says something funny, Terry looks exasperated" and sometimes there was a pub or a copper, watching it as a (ludicrously pretentious) adult I can appreciate just how amazingly well-written and absolutely perfectly-acted is. Dennis Waterman was one of the biggest stars on telly at the time and had the sense to just stand back and let George Cole do his thing, and what a loving thing it is, he can give three pages of dialogue with a single facial expression. Once the writers realised this in Season 2 you've got 5 seasons of absolutely perfect comedy-drama (S1 is *okay*, but like I say once they all realised that Arthur was the star of the show even if Waterman got his name first in the credits it just flies. 30-odd episodes, each completely self-contained and satisfying to watch in isolation (even if you've never seen a single episode, the relationships are all right there up on the screen the moment you start watching).

A rotating supporting cast of every decent character actor to have ever dropped an aitch, and plots that are basically mini Ealing capers, and I think that this might actually be one of the greatest TV shows ever made (I admit a mild sense of late-lockdown delirium and entertainment burnout might be colouring that - it's still really loving good though).

Also it's just reminded me of the general perfection of Euston Films productions. The Sweeney and London's Burning will always be the most famous along with Minder, but there's also Prospects (which I've mentioned before as being my screen debut), all of Jack Rosenthal's one-offs, they just didn't miss.

While I'm on the subject, what happened to comedy dramas generally? Why back in my day, you could get three comedy dramas for a tanner, and still have change for a big onion to tie to your belt.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pistol_Pete posted:

A lot of the most emotionally-invested supporters of Israel don't actually seem to be Jewish: I think they should probably find a new hobby.

It's almost as if their support is completely disingenuous. Maybe they just hate Muslims?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

It's almost as if their support is completely disingenuous. Maybe they just hate Muslims?

The heavy crossover with TERFery fits into my general theory that they're just poo poo people who want to feel like they're good people and so when someone identifies an acceptable target to unload their shittiness on they just go loving hog wild with it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jiggerypokery posted:

Unpopular opinion but I think the left is going to seriously miss the BBC. Its like the one prison guard that isn't 100% on board with the beatings the others are dishing out but doesn't speak up

so functionally useless and tacitly supporting a poo poo system

got it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The heavy crossover with TERFery fits into my general theory that they're just poo poo people who want to feel like they're good people and so when someone identifies an acceptable target to unload their shittiness on they just go loving hog wild with it.

I think that's most people on twitter tho.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

jiggerypokery posted:

Unpopular opinion but I think the left is going to seriously miss the BBC. Its like the one prison guard that isn't 100% on board with the beatings the others are dishing out but doesn't speak up

I have confusing opinions about the BBC too because I know it's poo poo, but I still feel like it shouldn't be, and there's leftover feelings from being younger and more innocent and living in a time when Cameron hadn't stuffed it full of his cronies and Saville was an amusing figure of childhood nostalgia where I saw it as reliable and trustworthy.

I'd be sad to see it go, but also a bit relieved. It's a parody of itself and just getting rid of the whole rotting edifice so it can't be used to provide cover for monstrous deeds would make the world a better place.

But it didn't have to be like that. It could and should have been something good.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My opinion on the BBC is generally clouded by insane Scot Nat brain, in that part of me is fully invested in the idea of it being UK State Propoganda and needs to be destroyed utterly.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 21, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So about the BBC thing, did Martin Bashir have an established career before he pulled off the Princess Diana interview? Or was his career made by getting that interview?

Since if it's the later, his timid apology is even more hollow if it breaks down into "yes I broke all journalist ethics and lied. But I made my career and fortune having done this, so what are you going to do about it?"

In other news, I saw this on my news feed.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/priti-patel-joins-police-raids-people-smugglers-arrested-nca-b936270.html

Is this not just Priti Patel pulling a John Terry? Like if she shows up with the people who did the work, and get photographed does she hope that she will fool people into thinking that she played a part?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There is a nostalgic part of my brain screaming that losing the BBC means losing the best source of new comedy, but I don't think that's been true for a long time now, with the exception of some of the straight to iplayer stuff.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There is a nostalgic part of my brain screaming that losing the BBC means losing the best source of new comedy, but I don't think that's been true for a long time now, with the exception of some of the straight to iplayer stuff.

It's not been true for going on 15 years at this point, and all the weirder stuff started on radio anyway.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The BBC's good for documentaries and food shows but just lol if you trust it for news or political analysis

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Some of you might be interested in this online event. (It's not free btw!)

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/game-not-over-a-fireside-chat-with-john-carmack-tickets-154620523147

quote:

Virtual fireside chat with John Carmack + panel discussion with Garry Kitchen, Kelsey Lewin, Kate Willært and Jason Scott

About this event

For decades, gaming has been one of the central driving forces behind technological progress in the digital age — from increased storage and memory needs to advancements in graphic capabilities, and even how we interact with and socialize around media and each other. How has this medium morphed and changed, and more importantly, how do we ensure the preservation of this cultural driver in all of its forms? Please join us for Game Not Over! on June 23rd, featuring a fireside chat with John Carmack, independent AI researcher and Consulting CTO to Oculus/Facebook; and a panel discussion with Garry Kitchen, Industry Consultant and President/CEO of Audacity Games; Kelsey Lewin, Co-Director, The Video Game History Foundation; Kate Willært, Geek Culture Historian and Founder of A Critical Hit!; and Internet Archive's Free-Range Archivist Jason Scott as they discuss the past and present of the gaming industry, as well as why the Internet Archive is key to understanding its history. This is an Internet Archive fundraiser. Ticket sales will go towards the preservation of our software collection.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The BBC website is good for popular sports generally, especially the live plays. But yeah, it is picking little good bits out of an overall rotten operation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

My opinion on the BBC is generally clouded by insane Scot Nat brain, in that part of me is fully invested in the idea of it being UK State Propoganda and needs to be destroyed utterly.

I also think this except I don't think it has anything to do with scotnat brain.

Like it has been poo poo for longer than I have been alive, so I see it as just the "reasonable" arm of the same institution as the Mail and the Express and the rest of the murdoch shite. They scream and rage, the BBC comes up afterwards to go "there is much screaming and raging, we must consider whether or not this is justified" and the melt brigade go "hmm yes".

It is a laundry shop for opinions cooked up by the tories but which they might otherwise have a marginal amount of dificulty selling to the liberals without a nice rinse under the apparently boundless font of credibility that people afford the BBC for reasons I cannot understand.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 21, 2021

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

It's been said in these threads before, but at its best, the BBC's drama division (Line of Duty, Peaky Blinders etc.) is second to none and pretty drat lefty

it's such a shame that it's tied to an increasingly right-wing comedy division (rip the Mash Report) and a far-right state news broadcaster

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The BBC's kids content has been superlative during lockdown, and even before that was top stuff.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Hey Duggee is a national treasure.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I stopped reading papers after Millie Dowler, stopped watching TV news after the Brexit referendum and finally radio cut off Radio 4 & BBC iPlayer after finally noticing that their reporting was now pro Tory.

In all this the only annoying thing is all the letters i get after cancelling the TV License.

As Brexit kicked in it's now a foreign press and of no use to me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Venomous posted:

It's been said in these threads before, but at its best, the BBC's drama division (Line of Duty, Peaky Blinders etc.) is second to none and pretty drat lefty

it's such a shame that it's tied to an increasingly right-wing comedy division (rip the Mash Report) and a far-right state news broadcaster

See I disagree, BBC drama is *also* terrible.

I know I was shouting at clouds earlier about Euston Films, but drama generally - and BBC drama in particular - has sunk into this godawful shitsack world where everybody and everything is Very Serious and the characters seem to have absolutely no internal life that isn't also Very Serious (I admit I've not actually watched Peaky Blinders at all so maybe they all burst into a rousing chorus of Consider Yourself every once in a while to even things out). You're never given any reason to actually like any of the characters because they are never shown in a lighter moment, and ultimately that nullifies any dramatic impact the story has.

I'm trying to think of the last time a BBC drama actually had some effect on me and it was probably series 1 of Spooks - everything since then - including Spooks - has tried to get into this psuedo-sophisticated position of "Well none of the characters are actually good or bad, they're just people" which *can* be done well but also completely negates any idea of character progression or growth - they're no longer protagonists (or even antagonists), they're just crash-test dummies. Events happen to them over which they have no control, and we just watch them react to it along the very rigid lines that the writers have laid out for them.

Now you can make the argument that this is actually a more accurate reflection of life (and maybe go into the Eastenders writers room with this concept and a gun, but that's another rant) but drama is supposed to be... dramatic. If I want to watch people who I don't particularly care about discuss events over which they have little control I could just go to Twitter.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Eastenders lol.
If you want to quit any addiction, be it drugs, alcohol, etc, watch Eastenders and take a hit when someone is happy for longer than 5 seconds on that show.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Tsietisin posted:

Totally agree with posters saying BBC Childrens' output in general is brilliant, but Hey Duggee and Sarah and Duck are legit the best things on UK TV. I will die on this hill. Awoof

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Party Boat posted:

Gnasherjew just approvingly shared the image on their Facebook page instead of creating it. Which makes legal action pretty toothless as mistakenly crediting them as the creators wouldn't harm their reputation in any meaningful way

I still don't get it. If I were to create a Twitter account named, say, "Wanker Gentile", and post all kinds of weird and dumb bullshit on that, one time re-distributing some meme thing that targets a random children's book author for example; and suppose this author then posted on Twitter "ah it seems that this 'Wanker Gentile' has posted some weird stuff"; apparently I could then sue that person for... what? Besmirching the good name of well-known important person "Wanker Gentile"? By posting a true statement on Twitter?

The lawyer nightmare in this country seems even worse than I had thought, or maybe I'm missing something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Please don't doxx George Galloway.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tsietisin posted:

drat straight. Also Bluey

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I mean you can sue someone (or more relevantly, threaten to sue them) for basically anything. It doesn't mean your claim has any merit, and in situations like this just makes you look like a gigantic pissbaby.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

As a trans person:

Lol

Lmao

No they can burn for legitimising terfs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Gnasher is lashing out because they'd have to name the account owners if Rosen was to sue them.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

To be fair now, the BBC did air some of my favourite shows as a child. The Simpsons, Star Trek, Farscape...

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1395800308199141376?s=20
Amazing

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that's definitely what the country wants, to know the medical details of a 70 year old man who is a back bench MP and grower of vegetables

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

This is even worse than the amount of time they spent saying "DID CORBYN EVEN VOTE REMAIN HUH?" despite the fact he tweeted a picture of himself outside the polling station on the day of the referendum saying he was voting remain.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

In Our Time and quite a bit of their documentary stuff is really good, with a good bit of dross mixed in of course.

Pretty sure that's all stuff that's next on the chopping block though given the kind of content the Tories want it to put out. And Gove hosting In Our Time to hold forth about the greatness of empire and his readings of the classics.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lord of the Llamas posted:

This is even worse than the amount of time they spent saying "DID CORBYN EVEN VOTE REMAIN HUH?" despite the fact he tweeted a picture of himself outside the polling station on the day of the referendum saying he was voting remain.

Yeah but what if he didn’t, what if actually voted leave? What kind of bastard would lie about their vote like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

crispix posted:

that's definitely what the country wants, to know the medical details of a 70 year old man who is a back bench MP and grower of vegetables

Lord of the Llamas posted:

a lot of the same people seem to have criticised him for wanting to know how much doe we send to israel too lmao