Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Someone brought up Final Fantasy Tactics, and that has a really good one where if your Bravery stat gets debuffed to a certain point, iirc something like below 10, your unit gets turned into a chicken and runs away until they they gain enough Brave (it regens slowly) to be at 10 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't forget the Boots in Symphony that increase his height by one pixel

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I liked the doom equivalent status effect in Fantasian which is literally just a time bomb strapped to your character and requires a defusal kit to get rid of.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Someone brought up Final Fantasy Tactics, and that has a really good one where if your Bravery stat gets debuffed to a certain point, iirc something like below 10, your unit gets turned into a chicken and runs away until they they gain enough Brave (it regens slowly) to be at 10 again.

I found this interesting because there was pretty much no reason to ever use it other than to see if it worked

Reducing an enemy character's Brave stat to that extent was AFAIK always much harder than neutralizing them in pretty much any other way

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Phantasium posted:

the Alucart status from Symphony of the Night, where if you equip all the knockoff Alucart gear it changes your name on the status screen ( though also giving you 30 luck)

i don't know if it counts but I'll always love it

Too bad Castlevania died before we could fight Tracula.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

loquacius posted:

I found this interesting because there was pretty much no reason to ever use it other than to see if it worked

Reducing an enemy character's Brave stat to that extent was AFAIK always much harder than neutralizing them in pretty much any other way

Iirc Beowulf can do like -50 Brave at once with Chicken, which is pretty good sinxe one even one cast on a 60+ Brave guy can still nerf knight swords/fists and iirc monster attacks.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc Beowulf can do like -50 Brave at once with Chicken, which is pretty good sinxe one even one cast on a 60+ Brave guy can still nerf knight swords/fists and iirc monster attacks.

dang, I actually didn't know Chicken did that much Brave damage, because Beowulf can also cast Break and instantly petrify stuff

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lunar Suite posted:

dangit, I was really looking forward to RF5. Now I'm no longer sure.

yeah its really disappointing, i spent the last 4 months getting ready for this so it doesn't hurt as much but im still just so bummed lmao

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Could have just given me the portrait swap tbh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I will never smooch anyone in any game that allows me that freedom, but still a bummer here.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

loquacius posted:

dang, I actually didn't know Chicken did that much Brave damage, because Beowulf can also cast Break and instantly petrify stuff

Or HP drain the final boss for 999(x2) damage.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KariOhki posted:

Some Suikoden games had the Balloon status effect where if you get three balloons on you, that character is removed from battle because they floated off.

But it's okay, because there was equipment that protected you from it.

The Pointy Hat, because they popped.

Also, in Suikoden Tactics, if you could get just two balloons it boosted your jump height. Third one was still an ejection from battle, though, so be careful with this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's so dumb, I haven't played Rune Factory but my understanding of the games it doesn't seem like it would hard at all to make the romance options not care about protagonist gender and I doubt there's anyone who was planning on buying the game but was so homophobic that that would make them change their mind.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the series director has hang ups about how he thinks they should make explicitly gay characters instead of making everyone bi which would be understandable if these were games that had massive casts and budgets to keep making more options and not games that at the height of their resources look like a ps2 game that dips down to 20fps

this is extra weird because rune factory 4 did not gender lock initial romance events, it only locked the ability, to propose. given story of seasons it's obvious there's nothing stopping rune factory from going the same route

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah it sounds like BS to me, like no matter your gender characters blushing and going weak knee at the stuff you are saying in RF4
and again in rf4 you have like two dudes who are pretty clearly into each other

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres probably no actual logic to it. it just didnt really occur to them as something important to add. trying to read logic into it is attributing too much malice to it, giving them too much credit, and gives idiots avenue with which to counter argue about why it is/isn't worth it. if you don't wanna buy the game because it doesn't have it, that's fair. if you do buy the game, find some official avenue to voice your displeasure with the lack of the option, be it official forums, feedback surveys jp game companies tend to post up every now and then, etc.

when the game come out in the west it'll probably be mentioned in every single review it gets, so hopefully it's something they notice and respond to.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

are the "i am setsuna" games sequential or can be played in any order?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i can read what i want into it, which is they don't really care and are just making up excuses which is dumb. im still going to play the game.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i didn't even know there was more than one

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think there's a setsuna canon they're just all games by tokyo rpg factory

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its weird that neo twewy is selling the collecter editionstuff separately outside of Japan

I love the first game enough is drop another 40 on some knickknacks but an extra $100 for some trinkets and a soundtrack?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The stories/worlds aren't connected in any way so the order doesn't matter.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is only one way to order an empty set, anyway.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

OddObserver posted:

There is only one way to order an empty set, anyway.

god drat

said it better than I would have

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The female mc in rf5 looks way cuter to me than the guy so I'm super sad I can't look cute and romance girls at the same time. Oh well, still gonna get it since I've been really craving more rune factory.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i enjoy the writing in mega man star force but man basically everything about this game's design just makes it feel like they made a version of battle network where everything related to the cyberworld and combat are much worse and have like half the personality they used to huh

the worst part is probably how on top of limiting your movement to three tiles they, still give enemies aoe attacks. so sometimes you literally just cannot avoid enemy attacks because you only have three tiles and their attack, covers all three, and you have no opportunity to try and dodge by teleporting in front of them with an attack chip.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 21, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Don't you get a shield to block those AoE moves?

Not that it makes it much better, battle system's still just a shadow of Battle Network either way

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah I dunno they didn't just keep making MMBN forever. I mean, I guess they were probably dropping off in sales, but did Star Force do any better?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I got scared about the move to 3D for Rune Factory and it seems I was not misguided. None of the 3D Harvest moon games did it for me and I was hoping RF5 would break the curse. I'm getting sick of Stardew and RF4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Clarste posted:

Yeah I dunno they didn't just keep making MMBN forever. I mean, I guess they were probably dropping off in sales, but did Star Force do any better?

honestly battle network wasn't really dropping off that hard, there's a big dip after bn4 because. well. bn4. but 6 was actually slowly climbing back up, it sold notably better than 5

capcom just... decided bn6 had to be the ending of the entire series. for some reason. and then decided star force should throw out half of the polishing that bn had done over the years so while its new writing stuff is decent its gameplay is just inexplicably worse lol. that coupled with randomly jumping to a new series out of nowhere is probably why star force did not, keep up the momentum that bn5 and 6 were building back up

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i will say the weirdest thing about star force as an actual continuation is how like. divorced it feels from key elements of bn's setting. like i get that things change over the years but the fact that navis literally just barely exist now is like. ok. i... guess those robot bodies built specifically so navis could live irl alongside regular people didn't see any real use then?? it feels more like a second weird branch off the timeline alongside battle network rather than like, an actual progression off of bn6

which is funny to contrast with the mega man zx games pretty definitively building their storytelling off the zero series. why are the platformers better at this than the rpgs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

honestly battle network wasn't really dropping off that hard, there's a big dip after bn4 because. well. bn4. but 6 was actually slowly climbing back up, it sold notably better than 5

capcom just... decided bn6 had to be the ending of the entire series. for some reason. and then decided star force should throw out half of the polishing that bn had done over the years so while its new writing stuff is decent its gameplay is just inexplicably worse lol. that coupled with randomly jumping to a new series out of nowhere is probably why star force did not, keep up the momentum that bn5 and 6 were building back up

Tbh it kinda always seemed like there was a huge degree of turnover between BN3 and BN4 cause even ignoring the overambitious jank pile 4 turned out to be iirc there’s a definite shift from 1-3’s encouraged playstyle and 4-6, so maybe Star Forces was just even more turnover. Iirc it tracks with a lot of the Mega Man franchise as a whole.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, I don't play any niche RPGs, anyone have any examples of unique status effects in anything you've played? More things need to make left side Ataxia a problem you've got to deal with.

The MegaTen games have had a lot of somewhat offbeat ones. Bomb was already mentioned, but another one that comes to mind is the Fly status effect when fighting Beelzebub in Devil Survivor. If you don't cure it quickly, the character takes a bunch of damage and fly monsters spawn around them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Thuryl posted:

The MegaTen games have had a lot of somewhat offbeat ones. Bomb was already mentioned, but another one that comes to mind is the Fly status effect when fighting Beelzebub in Devil Survivor. If you don't cure it quickly, the character takes a bunch of damage and fly monsters spawn around them.
There's also Lost from SMT4, which Wind/Force attacks can cause, and it's literally just the attack blew your demon clear of the battle and you have to find them again.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

megami tensei 2 has the Lost Arm status ailment, when the protag's arm with the comp gets cut off and you gotta get a new one while taking damage

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Clarste posted:

It could be that other titles (Street Fighter, RE, Monster Hunter) were doing just that much better and the benefit of additional seasoned devs for those teams was worth more than continuing the MMBN games even if the games were profitable but not nearly as much as the bigger series.

Booky posted:

megami tensei 2 has the Lost Arm status ailment, when the protag's arm with the comp gets cut off and you gotta get a new one while taking damage

Dragon Quest 3 had the Limbo spell which, instead of killing you like Beat/Defeat, sent your party member back to the tavern in Alliahan and the spell explicitly cannot work on the hero (because even back then they knew people would run heroless parties I guess, or because casting it on a solo hero probably broke the game).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh it kinda always seemed like there was a huge degree of turnover between BN3 and BN4 cause even ignoring the overambitious jank pile 4 turned out to be iirc there’s a definite shift from 1-3’s encouraged playstyle and 4-6, so maybe Star Forces was just even more turnover. Iirc it tracks with a lot of the Mega Man franchise as a whole.

It would not surprise me if they burned out a bunch of employees with these games because like, they released all 6 Battle Networks over 5 years. That's an absolutely breakneck pace. And like, yeah, Capcom's a bit notorious for doing that sort of thing, but even the classic Mega Man series took 7 years for the first 6 games.

It's honestly a miracle the games are as good as they are (excepting 4).

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh yeah ff5 had the Old ailment, where your stats got gradually lowered iirc!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I always liked the Trouble status effect from FF9, where if the character inflicted with Trouble gets hit, everyone else takes damage, too (with the icon implying it's because they won't stop whining about it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

in ffxiv gremlins can inflict a status effect called misery by using an ability called "Bad-mouth" and while its trivial and you can just wait out the duration the only way to cure it is to use the "comfort" emote