Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like Bruno Faidutti became a minor main character for bg twitter today, even got notable nice man Rodney Smith was dunking on him.

He was saying he doesn't trust anyone who doesn't drink and that religion(Muslims as an example) is no excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Quixotic1 posted:

Looks like Bruno Faidutti became a minor main character for bg twitter today, even got notable nice man Rodney Smith was dunking on him.

He was saying he doesn't trust anyone who doesn't drink and that religion(Muslims as an example) is no excuse.

Don't worry, he deleted the tweet, and then the followup 'please, i only meant you suck unless you have a medical exemption!' tweet.

He left the Facebook post of it up though, because that got better traction. So, he's not actually sorry, just didn't get the right attention.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Ravendas posted:

Don't worry, he deleted the tweet, and then the followup 'please, i only meant you suck unless you have a medical exemption!' tweet.

He left the Facebook post of it up though, because that got better traction. So, he's not actually sorry, just didn't get the right attention.

Really glad Faidutti hasn't been relevant in years so I don't have to rethink supporting his work.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I've played it 22 times on bga. Bga does not support the asymmetric fractions of the (supposedly better) advanced tech tree rules.

That said its pretty decent. I think it has a surprising amount of staying power but it's solidly B tier. It's better than most stuff out there but I'm not sure it's a buy.

It is very smooth playing which is a plus, absolutely whips around.

It's a solid base that, like many games I play on BGA, is enjoyable enough online but seems like it will be way more fun in person. It also has an already announced expansion that will add some more asymmetry and complexity, which I suspect will give it better legs. I don't regret buying it even though I've only gotten it to the table virtually.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quixotic1 posted:

That is quite surprising. Faidutti has been one of the prime supporters of the nascent Iranian boardgaming industry, going so far as to visit Tehran to meet the designers and publishers. He even gave his blessing to their reskinned version of Citadels.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I used to really love TM but playing the official Steam version ruined it for me. It just takes too long to play and is too complex to still be so utterly dependent on lucky synergy draw.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jedit posted:

That is quite surprising. Faidutti has been one of the prime supporters of the nascent Iranian boardgaming industry, going so far as to visit Tehran to meet the designers and publishers. He even gave his blessing to their reskinned version of Citadels.

Right, I remember that story, but didn't think about it here because I guess I thought it was the other Bruno. That would jive more the chartiable interpetation I thought of when I first read it: he was thinking about just stuffy white evangelical Christians where not drinking isn't actually dogma and it's a just a localized culture of repression. I'm certainly do not mean to excuse this: it would still be an exclusionary thing to say about Muslims and Mormons, and would still be a hurtful thing to say so glibly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Magnetic North posted:

Right, I remember that story, but didn't think about it here because I guess I thought it was the other Bruno. That would jive more the chartiable interpetation I thought of when I first read it: he was thinking about just stuffy white evangelical Christians where not drinking isn't actually dogma and it's a just a localized culture of repression. I'm certainly do not mean to excuse this: it would still be an exclusionary thing to say about Muslims and Mormons, and would still be a hurtful thing to say so glibly.

He's French right? The French seem to have a different take entirely on drinking. I remember they had some kind of riot or something and after the police got things calmed down they all went to a restaurant and drank wine while still in uniform. You would not see that in the US. Maybe he thinks not drinking is a knock on France?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Great Game Brain segment on how to handle game nights Mayveena! I completely get shifting from big organized nights to one or two people come over with a game decided already, even moreso now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Great Game Brain segment on how to handle game nights Mayveena! I completely get shifting from big organized nights to one or two people come over with a game decided already, even moreso now.

Thanks :) I'm supposed to go to their game night tonight and not sure if I'm up for half hour-hour milling around deciding what to play.They start really late for me in the first place as I mentioned.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Thanks :) I'm supposed to go to their game night tonight and not sure if I'm up for half hour-hour milling around deciding what to play.They start really late for me in the first place as I mentioned.

Yeah I've gotten more and more tired of the what game should we play game.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The idea I really like is playing games kind of League-style, where we play one game several times in a row (once to learn, once to practice, and once "for real") then go from there.

Playing a game once then "whelp, done with that" feels like stopping right as we're all getting started.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

silvergoose posted:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

The idea I really like is playing games kind of League-style, where we play one game several times in a row (once to learn, once to practice, and once "for real") then go from there.

Playing a game once then "whelp, done with that" feels like stopping right as we're all getting started.

We'd be done about 2AM if we tried that on a Game Brain game night and that's way too late for me, I'd have to uber myself home ($$$).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh, I didn't mean all in one sitting (yikes), more just as a scheduling thing/plan.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We had a good arrangement of new games getting played a few times over a few weeks so we could settle on how we liked it, with the rest of game nights being old games we all knew so things kept moving. I liked that a million times more than my old group where every game was something new or new to half the players.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Picked up Dungeon Petz for a song and a dance is there anything I should know before playing?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

silvergoose posted:

I used to just set out one appropriate game per player and let every guest take turns vetoing them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ropes4u posted:

Picked up Dungeon Petz for a song and a dance is there anything I should know before playing?

Use the advanced card rules from the start (I forget the exact terminology).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Uhh. Poop need is before disease need so be careful using both of those on the same pet.

The "advanced" rule about using double symbols is honestly barely more complicated than base and reduces the variance enough that I encourage using it from the beginning.

Honestly just take care of your petz and they'll be fine and then you sell them to a dungeon lord and they get to munch on adventurers in the other game in that universe!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Use the advanced card rules from the start (I forget the exact terminology).

Thank you

silvergoose posted:

Uhh. Poop need is before disease need so be careful using both of those on the same pet.

The "advanced" rule about using double symbols is honestly barely more complicated than base and reduces the variance enough that I encourage using it from the beginning.

Honestly just take care of your petz and they'll be fine and then you sell them to a dungeon lord and they get to munch on adventurers in the other game in that universe!

Thank you

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
King is Dead 2e is fuckin dope

Camel Up meets Chess

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ropes4u posted:

It's best with four players, great with three, and pretty alright with two.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyone got a good tutorial video for Lorenzo Il Magnifico?

Ones I've found are so-so

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I haven't gotten a chance to try the changes of Kemet 2.0, but the storage solution that comes with it is amazing. Saves some much time for setup in a setup-heavy game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My KS copy of Mini Express finally turned up today, as Australia got shunted to the bottom of the list due to 'rona.

The game aside it arrived in one of the nicest packages I've received yet for a KS game. Fully bubble wrapped, corners of the box had plastic braces to avoid crushing, inside the box had the metal coin in it's own container, the bits delineated from the rest of the box by a line of cardboard, each of the cardboards to punch out had a corner missing so you could fit you finger into it to pull out easily.
Like straight up just a lovely package that had a lot of care and thought put into it to make sure it arrived in immaculate condition, so shout-out to designer Mark Gerrits & Moaideas Game Design for their hard work. :allears:

And now to broach the game as a warm-up to see if any combo of my groups would be interested in 18xx's :hmmyes:

I can't even get Chinatown to the table.. how the gently caress am I going to do stocks :negative:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My copy of Dirty Money arrived this morning, giving Capital Gains the unique distinction of being the only company I've ever backed who managed to deliver two months early.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
At long last, Oath has shipped. I am beside myself with excitement.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Got to play games around a table with actual people this weekend, for the first time in over a year.
I slid in to the game of X-Men Mutant Insurrection that had just gotten started when I got their. It's essentially Elder Sign but with X-Men, and far less brutal. It was an ok game to play with a bunch of people, but I don't see myself buying it.
After that was a game of Rising Sun and I really wanted to like it more then I did. It was the first time I'd played and I felt a little underwhelmed. The guy that owned the game went all out when it was on Kickstarter, so it looked great, but I didn't feel like I had a ton of different paths to take while playing. I'm sure a lot of that is down to just not being familiar with the rules and strategy though. I'd like to try it again now that I know how it works, and maybe try another clan or something.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CitizenKeen posted:

I got mine last week. It's pretty. Takes up more table space than I was expecting, that's a long map. Got three multiplayer and two solo games in; I think it's a good time.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

StarkRavingMad posted:

I got mine last week. It's pretty. Takes up more table space than I was expecting, that's a long map. Got three multiplayer and two solo games in; I think it's a good time.

Played a half dozen games on TTS as it was playtested. Currently trying to picture the union of (a) people I play games with who love crunch, and (b) people who can reliably make it to more than one game.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Did anyone play Puzzle Dungeon (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/262498/puzzle-dungeon) and To the Death (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/283805/death) ?
Any favorite ?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Saw this in the Boardgame Deals thread, but Cardhaus is taking preorders for Hansa Teutonica Big Box reprint

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The Eyes Have It posted:

My play group plans to start doing this play model, beginning with Cubitos, this week sometime. Though Cubitos is basically the perfect game to play as a league-style format.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Eyes Have It posted:

This is my new policy.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Yeah but then everyone is all “noooo I’m tired of facing the white lion”

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yeah but then everyone is all “noooo I’m tired of facing the white lion”

but we need NARDS guys
NARDS

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I played X-Men game, the characters are interesting but it is utterly interchangeable.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

CitizenKeen posted:

My anticipation is growing with every post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I mentioned before that I picked up Guards of Atlantis, even though the sequel is on the way.

What I hadn't really realized was that if I'd turned down the first offer I got of someone settling it, I literally couldn't have bought it.

This feels kinda weird, I'm lucky in that the game getting essentially a reprint meant that I got it cheap, but in basically any other circumstance, it would have been insanely expensive.

The whole Kickstarter thing is cool, because it means you get games getting made that never would otherwise. But this side of it, I hadn't actually seen before, where it's just literally impossible to get hold of after the fact. (Like I'm not at all concerned about not having the sequel instead of the old one, because I literally can't).

Does this often come up?