Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

makes me think, what's the modern equivalent to an SK-1 toy for kids? probably just an i pad I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A MIRACLE posted:

makes me think, what's the modern equivalent to an SK-1 toy for kids? probably just an i pad I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSsQznGO3RM

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

a yakbak my mom got me at a kmart was where i learned the word "drone" since it was one of the sound effects

now 20-ish years later i make droning sounds on a synth sometimes

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

A MIRACLE posted:

https://blipblox.com/

mine has an sk-1 with a couple of broken keys

volcas are also a good consideration

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
someone in this thread once
posted about a hydrasynth and like a year or so later I am so close to joining yiu

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

echinopsis posted:

someone in this thread once
posted about a hydrasynth and like a year or so later I am so close to joining yiu

i have one, it owns. lotta fun to design sounds on.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s what I wanna hear

might go have a play on one this weekend in the shop tbh unless I could take it home I doubt i’ll get much of a feel for it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

beeker posted:

i have one, it owns. lotta fun to design sounds on.

:same:

Plus: RANDOM button :getin:

but turn the volume down first

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if/when I get this synth I need a new USB interface that has two inputs. I have a Komplete or something that has 1 input (it used to also have a mic interface but I broke that lol).

And I would quite happily get the Komplete that has 2 inputs.

Unless of course one of you keyboard touchers has some other recommendation?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

if/when I get this synth I need a new USB interface that has two inputs. I have a Komplete or something that has 1 input (it used to also have a mic interface but I broke that lol).

I just ordered this very fine piece of audio equipment. I'll post a trip report when it arrives:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07KXS7STC/

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

echinopsis posted:

I have a Presonus 26c and it's cool. Komplete/Focusrite/whatever are probably about equal at that level.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm trying to get my Drumbrute Impact to play nice with Cubase and there's a ton of midi jitter if I use USB midi.
Will the timing be more solid if I use the old school DIN output on my interface?

Basically, I want to jam/layer it with Maschine but it drifts so much in USB.

After a bunch of research it looks like I can't use the Drumbrute as the master clock for Cubase due to the way the DAW works, which is a bummer.

If I program a pattern on the midi roll it plays back perfectly solidly, the issue is trying to get the Arturia's onboard sequencer to sync up

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

echinopsis posted:

Komplete is good, focusrite is good, folks seem to really like the Motu M2 and M4, too.

I have the older Komplete Audio KA-6 (with the dc coupled outputs) and a Focusrite 8i6 and both have been great.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks party people. I liked the one I had enough already so might as well stick with what I know.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Moog Model D iOS is currently free.

edit: or maybe all Moog apps are free?

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 21, 2021

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Holy crap I've been wanting animoog forever thank you.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

bees x1000 posted:

Moog Model D iOS is currently free.

edit: or maybe all Moog apps are free?

Looks like it's all of them:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/all-of-moogs-ios-synth-apps-are-currently-free-get-the-minimoog-model-15-animoog-and-filtatron-for-nothing

Nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

snorch posted:

Holy crap I've been wanting animoog forever thank you.

It's sad that it appears to be abandoned software, the noises you can get out of it are delicious and I guess it still performs that function, but they've been updating some of their other stuff to auv3 and it's unfortunate that animoog hasn't gotten that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I finally figured out what this "Arpeggiator" button does. Ahahahah cheat mode this is the best button. Learn to play the piano? Pfft I'll just hold down these three keys lol owned :smug:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Rutibex posted:

So I finally figured out what this "Arpeggiator" button does. Ahahahah cheat mode this is the best button. Learn to play the piano? Pfft I'll just hold down these three keys lol owned :smug:

what the gently caress

u spyin on me bro???

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
wtf guys :ssh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

In Ableton Live there's an arpeggiator but also a chords plugin where you can hold down just one key and it'll send a proper chord to the arpeggiator, it's magic

Also there's this great documentary, Synth Britannia, where folks like Depeche Mode and The Human League state that they got into synths because they couldn't play and synths had sequencers and poo poo. Well not in those words.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I always stayed away from synths as a teen because sequencing and arpeggiators felt like 'cheating' to my wanna be guitar hero brain. Which is dumb because its not like there's much inherently difficult about banging out power chords either.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Even windmill Pete played his power chords into an arpeggiated synth

massive spider posted:

I always stayed away from synths as a teen because sequencing and arpeggiators felt like 'cheating' to my wanna be guitar hero brain. Which is dumb because its not like there's much inherently difficult about banging out power chords either.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It was an organ, pedants, I know calm down

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

In Ableton Live there's an arpeggiator but also a chords plugin where you can hold down just one key and it'll send a proper chord to the arpeggiator, it's magic

especially if you put a scale plugin in the middle of it so it sounds musical

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

There is a special mode where I can split this keyboard between auto-chords on left side and arpeggiator on right side called "Casio Chords". Very nice! I underestimated Casio, this keyboard rules. Unfortunately I can't use the auto-chords and arpeggiator together :(

I'll keep that in mind if I try out Ableton. Though I assume I could find a similar function in FL studio?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Do any of y'all use cakewalk? I got frustrated early with ableton lite limiting my track count, so went in search of another free daw. Seems pretty good, but I don't hear much about it.
Eta: use case is I find midi files of Dutch nursery rhymes, or classical music, and assign instruments to each part. A lot of midi files have more than 4 parts.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 22, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

B33rChiller posted:

Do any of y'all use cakewalk? I got frustrated early with ableton lite limiting my track count, so went in search of another free daw. Seems pretty good, but I don't hear much about it.
Eta: use case is I find midi files of Dutch nursery rhymes, or classical music, and assign instruments to each part. A lot of midi files have more than 4 parts.

I use a open source program called Midi Editor:
https://www.midieditor.org/

edit: might not be useful if you want to assign actually good sounding instruments

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 22, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

B33rChiller posted:

I sometimes do similar things with the Sforzando vst and some random soundfonts. I use it in Reaper. Cakewalk declared war on multi monitor setups years back (when it was called Sonar), that annoyed me a lot.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

can't remember if i've asked this here before but what's a good way to get into being able to make my own patches? i have a lot of synth VSTs of real analog synths but i'm limited to cycling through presets. how would i pick that up?

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just found out about it myself but the new york school of synthesis videos on youtube are what you need

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pieuvre armement posted:

Just found out about it myself but the new york school of synthesis videos on youtube are what you need

just what i was going to recommend.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
whatever happened to Dean Friedman?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

he sells stuff on his website. seems like he's living the (modest) dream

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

landgrabber posted:

can't remember if i've asked this here before but what's a good way to get into being able to make my own patches? i have a lot of synth VSTs of real analog synths but i'm limited to cycling through presets. how would i pick that up?

This video series was helpful to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBEZF2pAbMg

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

landgrabber posted:

Finding a widely used platform to learn on in our YouTube lives is a good start. A few years ago Massive was the home producer softsynth due, in my opinion, to its very straightforward UI and ability to make wub wub noises. Therefore, there are a ton of tutorials showing basic synthesis design using Massive. I think Serum was the big one after Massive, and now people have moved on to some other wavetable softsynth that I'm forgetting.

The real answer is to buy hardware with many, many knobs.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

serum is still the “industry standard” even if vital is offering a lot of competition (and i personally prefer it)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This video is making me feel like I'm going insane. There are really quiet subtle sounds in the background, like their microphone is picking up a radio station or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/FLOOR_BABA/status/1396325087360454657
lol