Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Reality Protester posted:

Yes. It benefits the party to pass things their voters want, ensuring future support of those voters. If someone does not want to vote for things their voters want, they should not be a part of the party.

So your argument is both "Dems have a majority, get things done bing bong so simple" while simultaneously being "Manchin needs to join the GOP," thus ending the Democrats' Senate majority.

Either you haven't thought this out that well (likely), are just interested in posting "Dems bad" (definitely), or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

Your'e confused. They got what they as a party wanted during that time.

Campaign promises? Hahahahahahahahaha no

They didn't even get their full wishlist, and not like they lacked for appointees that were still crazy enough to flame out. It's just that most Republican priorities don't rely on passing legislation so much as gumming the works. Many Democratic priorities do. Even if Dems in 2021 governed exactly like Republicans in 2017 it would not result in the President Goku effect much of the left seems to expect it would.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Republican party, 2017-2020. Obamacare repeal failed but they passed everything else they tried to pass. Including a ton of 50 vote + Pence judge votes. They got it done.

:laffo: I think you're mis-remembering a number of Trump's campaign promises: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I cannot think of a worse example in recent history of fulfilling campaign promises than the GOP under Trump. Well, explicit promises, the "I will be evil towards the right people" was implicit.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Republican party, 2017-2020. Obamacare repeal failed but they passed everything else they tried to pass. Including a ton of 50 vote + Pence judge votes. They got it done.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that a leftist is looking to a party held together by cult-like devotion to a single individual for inspiration. Trump did almost none of the things he promised in his campaign. And the few things he did attempt, he failed spectacularly at aside from tax cuts. His base is still obsessed with him because he says things to trigger the libs. Not because they give a single gently caress about what he actually achieved.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Please stop dogpiling me

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Trump was an insatiable liar. Biden,I assume, is not. Thus he should want to pass his campaign promises and not be easily defeated by Joe Manchin.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Republicans also wanted to destroy the EPA and end a bunch of programs permanently, but didn't have the votes to nix the filibuster to do so. There was a lot of grumbling in my family because of that, but at the end of the day they vote Republican to keep Democrats out of power.

They were also pissed about the Republicans failing to repeal the Antiquities Act and weren't entirely happy that Trump only went with the "half measure" of reducing the size of national parks. They did often blame the GOP for not having the balls to nuke the filibuster and do what Trump wanted, but that's a secondary concern to keeping a boot on the throat of non-Christians.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that a centrist is looking to a party held together by cult-like devotion to a single individual for inspiration. Biden has done almost none of the things he promised in his campaign. And the few things he did attempt, he failed spectacularly at aside from COVID relief. His base is still obsessed with him because he says things to trigger the left, not because they give a single gently caress about what he actually achieved.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

das hipster posted:

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that a centrist is looking to a party held together by cult-like devotion to a single individual for inspiration. Biden has done almost none of the things he promised in his campaign. And the few things he did attempt, he failed spectacularly at aside from COVID relief. His base is still obsessed with him because he says things to trigger the left, not because they give a single gently caress about what he actually achieved.

This is straight up delusional who are you even talking about?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Please stop dogpiling me

Pointing out the problems in your posts isn't "dogpiling". Why do you keep moving the goalposts? Why did you ignore the fact that Obamacare wasn't repealed and replaced? You didn't mention infrastructure week either.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

motoh posted:

Meanwhile, policing is advancing its definitions and going gig work:

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1395792073874411521

This is going to be an effective abstraction of oppressive force, and a natural reaction to defund/abolish movements, long before they have even gained any noteworthy traction.

I saw this movie. I like the part where the cyborg cop guy remembers who he was and and starts shooting everyone.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

I read that a couple times and I have no idea what's going on. It sounds like he's talking about Trump, but then mentions Biden for some reason out of the blue. It doesn't make sense that he's referring to Biden through all of it- because the descriptors don't match anything that would point to Biden. It seems like some disparate thoughts that could have been expressed better in separate paragraphs.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Looks like Biden's counter-offer of $1.7 trillion to the GOP's less than $600 billion on infrastructure isn't going anywhere. So I guess we can add that to the pile of reconciliation bills Schumer's cooking up, along with immigration.

https://apnews.com/article/ap-top-news-jen-psaki-cabinets-donald-trump-joe-biden-ecdf60f0688478899c08d3de2f73efbb

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Trump was an insatiable liar. Biden,I assume, is not. Thus he should want to pass his campaign promises and not be easily defeated by Joe Manchin.

Does Joe Biden elect Manchin?

socialsecurity posted:

Thought they were being clever by c/p'ing Vorik's post and replacing "leftist" with "centrist" and other words with total nonsense to own the one lib.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

after all, we did build a wall and Mexico did pay for it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

They passed tax cuts.

To rich people. They promised them to the average person.

The tax cuts was the lowest point of popularity for Republicans within their own party.

I told you. You're confusing party priorities for campaign promises.

Please stop dogpiling me

lol

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 21, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1395823353554997252

I don't think loving your wife is an excusable absence? But I haven't read the House rules.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Doctor Butts posted:

I read that a couple times and I have no idea what's going on. It sounds like he's talking about Trump, but then mentions Biden for some reason out of the blue. It doesn't make sense that he's referring to Biden through all of it- because the descriptors don't match anything that would point to Biden. It seems like some disparate thoughts that could have been expressed better in separate paragraphs.

It's an interesting tactic but I dont see how they are in any way comparable.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Democrats have majorities in both houses.

No, they actually don't. If you look at a 50/50 senate and that the 50 blue senators represent 40 million more people and trillions more in GDP and yet think that 'the reason nothings happening is because dems are bad.' and not, "LOL, this country is so in the bag for republicans we should be talking revolution.' you're really arguing in bad faith.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Trump administration had definitely passed both "more money for us" and "gently caress you" by the end of the first year

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

I don't think loving your wife is an excusable absence? But I haven't read the House rules.

"Service as a husband" or "husband as a service"? HaaS? I hope the VCs have the cash ready for my new startup.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Grammarchist posted:

Looks like Biden's counter-offer of $1.7 trillion to the GOP's less than $600 billion on infrastructure isn't going anywhere. So I guess we can add that to the pile of reconciliation bills Schumer's cooking up, along with immigration.

https://apnews.com/article/ap-top-news-jen-psaki-cabinets-donald-trump-joe-biden-ecdf60f0688478899c08d3de2f73efbb

This is good. Now we can move on and pass the full thing. I love how if Rs were even remotely interested in bipartisanship they’d be able to significantly downsize a lot of dem propositions, but since they’re the Fox News party we can now pass the full $2.3 trillion bill instead.

Gadfly
Dec 21, 2018

"It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact."

They passed tax cuts.

That was the only big legislative victory the Republicans got while having a majority and Trump as president. No infrastructure package, no overturning of Obamacare, no huge sums of money for border wall/control (IIRC) etc.

The GOP of 2017-2020 was a total failure to get major bills passed with the exception of the tax cuts.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

"Service as a husband" or "husband as a service"? HaaS? I hope the VCs have the cash ready for my new startup.
Do you, Karla P Flemens, take this man, bigKev420@gmailcom, to be your lawfully wedded husband, for better or worse, until MARCH 14, 2022?

✅ I DO

Do you, Karla P Flemens, wish to purchase Extended Support?

✅ I DO

Do you, Karla P Flemens, wish to be notified of special offers via email?

✔️ I DO

[ PROCEED TO PAYMENT ]

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Did I have a stroke or did Biden bash incrementalism by name in a speech?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/20/789540931/2-years-later-trump-tax-cuts-have-failed-to-deliver-on-gops-promises

quote:

But while most Americans give the economy high marks, that doesn't extend to the tax cut. A Gallup Poll last tax season found only about 40% of Americans approved of the cut while 49% disapproved.

Even though experts say most workers did get a bump in their take-home pay, it was largely invisible to many taxpayers. Only about 14% of those surveyed by Gallup believe their taxes went down. (That figure includes 22% of Republicans, 12% of Democrats and 10% of independents.)

Not to mention those tax cuts mushroomed the deficit which is a perennial campaign promise to shrink.

Trumps term was a disaster in terms of campaign promises on every issue but court appointments. Unfortunately he got 3 big ones.

But I do find it fascinating that conservative propaganda is so pervasive that I regularly see people parroting it here, even though they hate Republicans.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm confused, that article is making it seem like some grand new betrayal, but I thought the Biden administration was always going to focus on the covid relief bill and the infrastructure bill in 2021, with a vague promise of a student loan reform in the fall. Also, wouldn't healthcare reform not be a part of the budget?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*checks calendar* Wait was this a "Biden leftist hero day" or a "Biden craven centrist day"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Tibalt posted:

I'm confused, that article is making it seem like some grand new betrayal, but I thought the Biden administration was always going to focus on the covid relief bill and the infrastructure bill in 2021, with a vague promise of a student loan reform in the fall. Also, wouldn't healthcare reform not be a part of the budget?

It's signalling that "vague promises" have dropped down to "nope" but none of those were vague promises.

Those were major issues that people voted based on. Dropping any one of them is bad, all three is really bad. It means he thinks that infrastructure alone will carry him in '24.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Solkanar512 posted:

This is loving Shadowrun level poo poo right here.

Absolutely correct.

My thoughts exactly. I'll take any race but human during the upcoming cataclysm.

I wonder how long before one of these Citizen employees gets hospitalized and how THAT will play out without unions.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Trump was an insatiable liar. Biden, I assume, is not. Thus he should want to pass his campaign promises and not be easily defeated by Joe Manchin.

This is the third new goalposts of yours.

Your original thesis (and correct me if I'm wrong!) was that Dems are a waste because they cannot whip sufficient votes to pass Biden's campaign promises.
Your example of a party that is able to do this is the GOP under Trump.

Now you say that example is actually a bad one, because Trump's promises were lies, and Biden's are not.

No President in modern memory has been able to pass all their campaign promises in their entire term, much less their first year.

In my experience, it's pretty rare for voters to expect the President to fulfill every campaign promise, and certainly not to do so in the current political climate, within the first year of his term.

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

It's an interesting tactic but I dont see how they are in any way comparable.

It really wasn't meant to a comparison. It was meant to highlight the absurdity of was actually being said in that statement. Saying that it isn't surprising that a leftist would look to Trump or any other individual authoritarian figure as a source inspiration is just as off base and divorced from reality as what I wrote, yet such a fundamental misunderstanding of what the left values seemed to pass by without any objection. I felt it was worthy of pointing that out with an equally absurd statement.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN/status/1395855628875218946

Hmmm that doesn't sound good.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Gaetz gon' get got!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Gilliam II posted:

What happens if protesters hire these guys to protect them from the police? Or if protesters and counterprotesters both hire them?

Something funny and worth grabbing popcorn for, that's what.

(Seriously though, what if all the protesters just apply to be the citizen agents? )

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
At that point doesn't it just become What's App

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gilliam II posted:

What happens if protesters hire these guys to protect them from the police? Or if protesters and counterprotesters both hire them?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

syntaxrigger posted:

My thoughts exactly. I'll take any race but human during the upcoming cataclysm.
Goblinization was last month. The lack of goblins suggests we, unfortunately, will not be getting Dunkhelzahn the Dragon as president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

Lmao

Yeah sure buddy.