Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1029780/Going_Medieval/
https://i.imgur.com/EGi7Vyf.mp4
Interesting 3D Rimworld/Dwarf Fortess-esque game that just popped up on my radar. Probably more Dwarf Fortess than anything, since it has some really cool deep digging, building, and colonist mechanics. It releases June 1st, but there's an open beta until May 24th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

John Murdoch posted:

Just to elaborate on this a bit more so you can rest easy: Everything related to the endgame is behind the third King's Gate found at...the King's Gate bonfire in the Castle.

Read up to here, that's enough for now. :) Thanks.

Also made it to Shulva just now. Done for tonight but I'm honestly embarassed at having missed that door in the pit. I went down from the top earlier today as well (before focusing on GoS) and somehow still didn't see it, even though one of the ladders basically takes you straight to it. Ugh.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

drat, was excited for the Epic $10 coupon but found out that it doesnt work on DLC :argh:

anyone know if the Snowrunner DLC has ever gone on sale on Epic? Wondering if I should just wait for the premium edition to go on sale on Steam and just pick that up instead

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Victoria 3

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

explosivo posted:

Anyone here playing Galactic Mining Corp? It looks kinda neat

There's some discussion in the new games thread and one other, maybe the epic thread. I played for a few hours last night and it's... interesting. It's essentially an idle game with the barest of gameplay mechanisms begin mining these blocks down into different planets and asteroids to eventually reach the core. Every upgrade of anything basically goes to making your drills dig faster and live longer.

It's kind of cute, and there is that dopamine rush of upgrading a lot of different things, but the lack of gameplay means it is basically a slight-more-involved idle/clicker game. If that sounds good to you then by all means

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

explosivo posted:

Anyone here playing Galactic Mining Corp? It looks kinda neat

its really an idle game. Great if you WFH and don't really want or need to work, good sountrack if you like d'n'b, good art but otherwise pretty much a huge waste of time for grinding things to do the same thing over and over again, holding down MB1.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sailor Dave posted:

Interesting 3D Rimworld/Dwarf Fortess-esque game that just popped up on my radar. Probably more Dwarf Fortess than anything, since it has some really cool deep digging, building, and colonist mechanics. It releases June 1st, but there's an open beta until May 24th.

Thank you for your service. This looks very cool.

I kinda got that semi idler vibe from looking at it as well. I actually thought it looked like it might be better to have on my phone to dick around with when I'm bored instead of on my PC. I think I'll keep it wishlisted for now but thanks for the insight!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Glare Seethe posted:

Also I quite liked the SoA boss by the way. Goofy yes (but I'd say Jabba the Hutt Covetous Demon is goofier) but I thought it was a decent fight. I did leave a lot untouched in SoA. I think I know what your post-bonfire warning was for and I made sure not to aggro any of that at all, I mostly wanted out at that point. Maybe I should pop back some time.

I just like to imagine a bunch of people sitting around a table saying "okay, so, like, it's a big rear end frog, right?" and everybody says "uh huh, uh huh, I see where you're going" and then "but then it opens its mouth and THERE'S A SKULL INSIDE" and then everybody says WHOAAAAA

And yeah, you walk out of that cave with the bonfire and there's like a million spellcasters just staring at you and then you just have to laugh because they also throw an NPC invader at you. Pretty easy at that point in your day to just say "not today, satan"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Play posted:

There's some discussion in the new games thread and one other, maybe the epic thread. I played for a few hours last night and it's... interesting. It's essentially an idle game with the barest of gameplay mechanisms begin mining these blocks down into different planets and asteroids to eventually reach the core. Every upgrade of anything basically goes to making your drills dig faster and live longer.

It's kind of cute, and there is that dopamine rush of upgrading a lot of different things, but the lack of gameplay means it is basically a slight-more-involved idle/clicker game. If that sounds good to you then by all means
It honestly almost feels like a flashgame, the gameplay is so simple. The character art is nice though

Also, is there even an ending?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sailor Dave posted:

Oh heck this looks pretty cool, thanks for the notice!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Orv posted:

So for the last couple years, Yager, yes that Yager, has been working on The Cycle. After Dreadnought was DOA it's been their current project, though how that studio got from The Line to weird riffs on niche F2P genres I have no idea.

The Cycle was a sort of in-between attempt at a Hunt Showdown style game. PvPvE with a PvE focus on quests, objectives and not having to PvP until the very last bit of the match. The Cycle was also bad. It was extremely, extremely bad. Bad shooting, bad designs, bad gameplay. Good art and sound design though.

All this to say, they're rebooting a game that never actually got out of early access and while that's not exactly laudable, I thought it might be a curiosity for some people to want to gently caress with.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/868270/The_Cycle/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=alphaemail01&utm_campaign=alphasignup&utm_content=steam

They're doing that semi-new thing of request access to the playtest, insofar as I know access is unlimited you just have to 'ask' for it through Steam or EGS.

They seem to have hit their target number of playtesters already, because I hit the "request access" button just now and it just said "ok you're on the list" instead of instantly granting access.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They seem to have hit their target number of playtesters already, because I hit the "request access" button just now and it just said "ok you're on the list" instead of instantly granting access.

Same, tried it right after the post was made and I haven't gotten an email about it yet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

It honestly almost feels like a flashgame, the gameplay is so simple. The character art is nice though

Also, is there even an ending?

No clue, and I don't see myself playing long enough to find out. I'm guessing eventually you've reached all the cores on each quadrant and each level and are fully upgraded in every way so there's nothing left to do. And yeah, it could easily be a particularly good looking flash game.

It's also not a roguelike/lite at all in the traditional sense. You start over on each drilling session but the overall game progress is totally persistent.

Strange game, overall. Should be under 5 dollars imo

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Sailor Dave posted:

I don’t like playing games like this as I find them tedious, but I really like watching others craft their world. Probably a weird stance but I’ll definitely check out some gameplay on Twitch when it releases.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played like a half hour or so and it's absolutely "Rimworld in 3D" to a T. That's not necessarily a bad thing because rimworld rules and I like the idea of digging mines and stuff but it's funny how quickly I was able to pick it up because of how closely it imitates Rimworld specifically. Pretty fun though and very playable for a pre-EA state. The 3D layers stuff might get annoying; dealing with like a 3 story house in the Sims is annoying, I'm not quite sure how this will all work once you have deep mines and stuff.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sailor Dave posted:

It looks rather polished. I'm pretty hesitant to trust a Dwarf Fortress knockoff though after Clockwork Empires bit the dust.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Have you ever noticed that the ring isn’t quite gold but more silver than anything?

Hello old friend

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Can someone who understands Steam bundles help me decide the best way to go about buying the Saints Row The Third Remaster? I already own Saints Row The Third, Genkibowl, Gangstas in Space, the Trouble with Clones, and the Nyte Blayde pack.

This bundle is $18.90 for me. However, there is also this older Full Package bundle for $3.74. If I buy the Full Package to pick up the rest of the bits of DLC I don't already have, won't it bring down the first bundle (the one that is currently $18.90) to less than $15.16? I am having a hard time understanding why buying the old Full Package bundle seems to take off more than $3.74 on the remastered bundle, especially if you consider the Full Package bundle includes a "season pass" (which is essentially access to Genkibowl, Gangstas in Space, and the Trouble with Clones) that is absent in the newer bundle. Most people on the Steam discussion are mentioning prices closer to $12-14 for the new bundle, so I don't understand the discrepancy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is it a worthwhile remaster?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rinkles posted:

That wasn't the question. But yeah it's pretty neat if you like those games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Play posted:

That wasn't the question.

I know, I was just asking.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully that Going Medieval game won't end up abandoned and unfinished like Towns. :(

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I can't quickly link it, but Digital Foundry did a performance video when it released last year and they seemed more than surprised at how great of quality it is. The one thing that turns me off, besides the fact I have played it several times now, is that the remaster has issues with high refresh displays and you need to use a cheat engine table to fix it, according to PCGW. And the weird pricing, I guess. Maybe I will bite the bullet and just buy the full package and then the 3rd st saints bundle.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Can someone who understands Steam bundles help me decide the best way to go about buying the Saints Row The Third Remaster? I already own Saints Row The Third, Genkibowl, Gangstas in Space, the Trouble with Clones, and the Nyte Blayde pack.

This bundle is $18.90 for me. However, there is also this older Full Package bundle for $3.74. If I buy the Full Package to pick up the rest of the bits of DLC I don't already have, won't it bring down the first bundle (the one that is currently $18.90) to less than $15.16? I am having a hard time understanding why buying the old Full Package bundle seems to take off more than $3.74 on the remastered bundle, especially if you consider the Full Package bundle includes a "season pass" (which is essentially access to Genkibowl, Gangstas in Space, and the Trouble with Clones) that is absent in the newer bundle. Most people on the Steam discussion are mentioning prices closer to $12-14 for the new bundle, so I don't understand the discrepancy.
Yes, you're right. The full package is all the DLC, some of it duplicated through the season pass, and then the bundles that include it include that mess that costs more than the full package even at discount. SR3 has always been like this.
For example this bundle: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/1505/Saints_Row_Ultimate_Franchise_Pack/
is $12 for me, even though all I'm missing is some SR3 DLC.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yes, you're right. The full package is all the DLC, some of it duplicated through the season pass, and then the bundles that include it include that mess that costs more than the full package even at discount. SR3 has always been like this.
For example this bundle: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/1505/Saints_Row_Ultimate_Franchise_Pack/
is $12 for me, even though all I'm missing is some SR3 DLC.

This basically answers my question then in that buying the $3.74 pack will bring more than $3.74 off the newer bundle. Thanks!

Edit: nvm that one doesn't have the remaster. I am just gonna wait a couple of days and scour the discussions since it is on sale for a week.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Rinkles posted:

I'll just link it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNhwSnDdvRM

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 22, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone try that free weekend WWI shooter game yet, Beyond the Wire? I guess its still EA.
I played this today and I think it's pretty good. I didn't think I would like it, but the guns are really satisfying to shoot and the explosions and just general feel of the game are great. The issue that has always kept me from buying and playing is no one plays the game. Before this free weekend, there were like 40 people playing. I hope it picks up because it's a good game in my opinion.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Here is the Digital Foundry video going a bit more in-depth into the remaster differences.

As it turns out, yes, buying Saints Row: The Third Full Package for $3.74 before buying the newer, 3rd Street Saints bundle wound up being $1.25 cheaper than if I had just bought the 3rd Street Saints bundle first. :confused:

With that said, it looks like Gamesplanet has The Full Package for $2.99. If you don't own SR3 at all and are interested in giving the remaster a shot, you can buy that and it brings the price of the remaster bundle down to $13.91 on Steam.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 22, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The DLC they won't say that got removed from the older version:

The Team Fortress 2 Masks
Bloodsucker Pack
Unlockable Pack

They don't even sell those for the older version anymore. What happened with that?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 22, 2021

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Aside from the masks those were "cheat" DLC that people always recommended you disable so maybe that's why.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I can't quickly link it, but Digital Foundry did a performance video when it released last year and they seemed more than surprised at how great of quality it is. The one thing that turns me off, besides the fact I have played it several times now, is that the remaster has issues with high refresh displays and you need to use a cheat engine table to fix it, according to PCGW. And the weird pricing, I guess. Maybe I will bite the bullet and just buy the full package and then the 3rd st saints bundle.

I have it on EGS and it is a great remaster but I really have to go in and see if it does any post 2012/13 controller settings because hoooo boy is it kind of hard to override the muscle memory sometimes.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The big downside to anything Saints Row is that Volition is absolutely insistent on garbage cameras. One of the best things about GTA and something Rockstar deserves huge props for is respecting the player's god drat camera control. Saints Row insists on having every movement of every vehicle you're driving move the camera, which is awful and really hurts in SR3 where you spend more time driving than any other SR.

Zesty posted:

It looks rather polished. I'm pretty hesitant to trust a Dwarf Fortress knockoff though after Clockwork Empires bit the dust.

This game is 90 times further along than CE ever was. It already has functional 3d building, for example. I feel like it still needs as bunch of UI work because it doesn't really feel smooth, but it's absolutely worth checking out as a free trial right now.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 22, 2021

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

The graphics are significantly better in the SR3 remaster, but the cutscenes are capped to 30 FPS and the only way to unlock them is to do full scans + edit floating point values with cheat engine, which must be done fresh every time due to the data being shifted around to a different spot in memory each launch. :negative: Same thing applies to the original SR3, too.

It's so jarring going from ~120 FPS down to 30. I must have been playing on a 60 Hz display last time I went through the game because I barely noticed the cutscenes' rates being halved. There must be a soft cap of 120 FPS, too, without tweaking something. GSYNC will take care of that, so it's not a huge deal that I can't get it closer to 144, but bleh these cutscenes are rough.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 22, 2021

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I have everything in the Full Package bundle except for the $1.74 Season Pass DLC and everything in the 3rd Street Saints Bundle except for Saints Row: The Third Remastered. The price of the 3rd Street Saints Bundle is showing up as $13.91 for me.

The way complete-the-set bundles work is that the bundle discount is applied to the total price of all the items you don't already own. In this case I own everything in the 3rd Street Saint Bundle except the $23.99 SR3 Remastered, and the bundle discount is 42%, so the total price I'd pay is 58% of $23.99 which is $13.91.

The discrepancy is just because Deep Silver messed up the pricing. Or they don't care.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 22, 2021

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1395936248322088970?s=20

I think some people were interested in Biomutant, it may just be dlc but a good deal if it works so caveat emptor

Edit: Dead already, folks on twitter saying they're going to do refunds

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 22, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

K8.0 posted:

This game is 90 times further along than CE ever was. It already has functional 3d building, for example. I feel like it still needs as bunch of UI work because it doesn't really feel smooth, but it's absolutely worth checking out as a free trial right now.

Oh hey, instant playtest.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hub Cat posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1395936248322088970?s=20

I think some people were interested in Biomutant, it may just be dlc but a good deal if it works so caveat emptor

Guess we'll see. If I go to the game page in the EA Client, I see this now:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Can someone sell me on Days Gone? Apparently its super well ported more like Death Stranding and less like Horizon Zero Dawn.

Steam reviews seem to like it, though I cant really tell what games it's mechanically similar to.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ragequit posted:

Guess we'll see. If I go to the game page in the EA Client, I see this now:

Yeah same for me. I figure 3 bucks isn't a huge gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rusty posted:

Before this free weekend, there were like 40 people playing.

Thats pretty dire