Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

learnincurve posted:

Did he just seriously call a reference to an old two Ronnies sketch about blowing raspberries at Queen Victoria backseat modding?

I think that new study with pigs breathing from their assholes might explain it?

Blitter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That's a hell of a page snipe :allears:

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
One of my better friends is married to basically a turd of a human. He was boring at best before all this. I'm doomed to see him for the rest of my natural life because I'm godfather to his kid and his wife is legit one of my favorite people. He's been very vocal and skeptical about Covid and poo poo like that. Whatever. Annoying and causing me to shake my head. But whatever. But recently he's been posting pictures with "Impfung macht Frei" (Impfung=vaccine). And then today a yellow 6 sided star with "unimpfed" (unvaccinated) in like Hebrew script. I honestly am at a loss for words about it.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

this is the title of my new novel, a story about freedom and American spirit pursuing the truth. :911:

okay legitimate question: do people not remember that masks in hospitals were the norm before this for those who were in the ICU and stuff? I honestly think it's a good idea for it to be more widespread long-term in hospitals regardless of covid. Colds and flus kill sensitive patients and it seems like it'd be a great way to prevent that spread, too.

Well, no. SW Florida, 1994, had a family member in the peds oncology floor, and no, masks were NOT the norm. I frequently had to beg nurses to use them around her. And yeah, she died, because she caught chicken pox.

And yeah, frankly, I'm a lot salty about how everybody else's loved ones are 'important' and 'essential' NOW, compared to when I was begging people to please take care back then. Guess when you're po' white trash and in the minority, your life doesn't matter as much.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Blitter posted:

I think that new study with pigs breathing from their assholes might explain it?

uh yeah can i get a username change please

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

bollig posted:

One of my better friends is married to basically a turd of a human. He was boring at best before all this. I'm doomed to see him for the rest of my natural life because I'm godfather to his kid and his wife is legit one of my favorite people. He's been very vocal and skeptical about Covid and poo poo like that. Whatever. Annoying and causing me to shake my head. But whatever. But recently he's been posting pictures with "Impfung macht Frei" (Impfung=vaccine). And then today a yellow 6 sided star with "unimpfed" (unvaccinated) in like Hebrew script. I honestly am at a loss for words about it.

Cool, your friend is married to a soon to be nazi (if he isn't already one). Congrats

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bollig posted:

Lemme guess what he does for a living--does he work with computers?

I've also got a godson's-father-married-to-a-dear-friend like that (who works with computers) and in his case it's just a pathological need to always be the centre of attention and always have the last word. There is no greater suffering than whatever inconvenience he has at the moment and no conversation can take place without his input. Your guy seems like he's figured out the one weird trick to make everyone pay attention to him and when that stops working he'll just go back to whatever online crew of yes men he's found that will tell him that he is history's biggest martyr for missing the ice hockey playoffs or having to wait another 2 weeks to go to the club.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

greazeball posted:

I've also got a godson's-father-married-to-a-dear-friend like that (who works with computers) and in his case it's just a pathological need to always be the centre of attention and always have the last word. There is no greater suffering than whatever inconvenience he has at the moment and no conversation can take place without his input. Your guy seems like he's figured out the one weird trick to make everyone pay attention to him and when that stops working he'll just go back to whatever online crew of yes men he's found that will tell him that he is history's biggest martyr for missing the ice hockey playoffs or having to wait another 2 weeks to go to the club.

I'm not going to say you're wrong about what type of personality this guy has. I just want to point out that, among all the people I've known with extravagant/narcissistic tendencies, only a single one has worked as a computer toucher. And he was mostly an instructor, at that.

I think computers in general is not where extreme extroverts tend to congregate. I have found them mostly in the arts, sports and teaching, so far. Places where you are likely to get a lot of attention and the chance to have lots of people look up to you (if you do well).

Unfortunately I think conspiracy theories can take hold in a lot of other types of personality, too.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

greazeball posted:

Definitely correct on the computer touching. But he is just a blob of a human, just sort of shows up and is boring as gently caress and is a general party pooper. And this pathology is definitely religion adjacent. I will say this, he has always seemed to keep his religiousness to himself in the sense that he doesn't evangelize or really try to force to on other people. And his wife seems to shut him down. Who knows. But I hate it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

Well, no. SW Florida, 1994, had a family member in the peds oncology floor, and no, masks were NOT the norm. I frequently had to beg nurses to use them around her. And yeah, she died, because she caught chicken pox.

And yeah, frankly, I'm a lot salty about how everybody else's loved ones are 'important' and 'essential' NOW, compared to when I was begging people to please take care back then. Guess when you're po' white trash and in the minority, your life doesn't matter as much.

:smith: I'm sorry about your family member.

I wonder if the mask thing is just military hospitals, then. Or maybe I've just been lucky with doctors being cautious?

bollig posted:

I've seen the impfung macht frei poo poo but holy poo poo doing that star of David poo poo is sinister.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Sort of yes, sort of no.

People are already moving back towards 2019 normal at an incredibly rapid rate. In the next month or two, it'll be like covid doesn't exist for the majority. And that's regardless what the numbers do. We aren't going to go back because people feel entitled to their Applebees appetizers and they already did everything they were advised to do.

Society is largely throwing in the towel on trying to stop this poo poo and are just shrugging because "well if it won't go away when I'm tired of it, whatever, we'll just deal with it".

It remains to be seen what happens with cases and vaccines and everything else. We are entirely in uncharted territory because this is a new disease, still, and we're still learning a lot about it; especially as variants pop up.

The thing is, we're gonna have to learn to deal with the maskless and the people who are "tired". Quarantine fatigue is certainly a real thing and the vast majority of the public no longer care. So those of us who do are just going to have to keep doing what we were doing this whole time. And that's okay.

Essentially: you might see a lot of people doing things that you wouldn't personally, and the best thing to do is try to avoid them. It might spike cases. It might not. It's okay to be nervous about the unknown, but we have decent data and models that suggest you can have your appetizer, too. Eventually.

You're gonna be okay. We all are. Just continue to be careful and sparse while we see how this thing plays out :love:

This is a good post.
Seems like you’re maybe feeling a little bit better than earlier, and that makes me happy, You’ve been through a lot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

King Vidiot posted:

All of this sarcasm plus, you know, the fact that as more and more people actually get vaccinated and the odds are recalculated the percentage might actually go up to like 99.8% or whatever. Could also go down but :shrug:

Confidence interval says: :hmmno:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Azathoth Prime posted:

This is a good post.
Seems like you’re maybe feeling a little bit better than earlier, and that makes me happy, You’ve been through a lot.

This is the kind of stuff I posted all the time in the other thread and trying to be compassionate to a scared goon who sees the writing on the wall is a good thing.

Shitloads of people are going to continue to die and nobody cares anymore because they want ice cream on their IHOP and they got mad that it was melted by the time they got home, so now they can go inside and boy are they going to. Hopefully I'm wrong about the death toll.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

bollig posted:

He ever seem a bit stunted? Does it make sense as teenage contrarianism?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Sort of yes, sort of no.

People are already moving back towards 2019 normal at an incredibly rapid rate. In the next month or two, it'll be like covid doesn't exist for the majority. And that's regardless what the numbers do. We aren't going to go back because people feel entitled to their Applebees appetizers and they already did everything they were advised to do.

Society is largely throwing in the towel on trying to stop this poo poo and are just shrugging because "well if it won't go away when I'm tired of it, whatever, we'll just deal with it".

It remains to be seen what happens with cases and vaccines and everything else. We are entirely in uncharted territory because this is a new disease, still, and we're still learning a lot about it; especially as variants pop up.

The thing is, we're gonna have to learn to deal with the maskless and the people who are "tired". Quarantine fatigue is certainly a real thing and the vast majority of the public no longer care. So those of us who do are just going to have to keep doing what we were doing this whole time. And that's okay.

Essentially: you might see a lot of people doing things that you wouldn't personally, and the best thing to do is try to avoid them. It might spike cases. It might not. It's okay to be nervous about the unknown, but we have decent data and models that suggest you can have your appetizer, too. Eventually.

You're gonna be okay. We all are. Just continue to be careful and sparse while we see how this thing plays out :love:

I forgot to thank you for this post. It helped me a lot. Thank you!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be at a grocery store tomorrow for he first time since masks became optional. Not exactly excited to see how quickly my area that had been 100% compliant on masks before completely gave up on it. I did had to stop by a hardware store earlier this week and 0% of the staff and only half the patrons were wearing them, but I dunno if hardware store is necessarily the best barometer of the public at large.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Revins posted:

I've been fully vaccinated since the 4th and have yet to go maskless. it's weird how naked the thought of going out without one makes me feel. also there are still a lot of unvaxxed people and I want to keep up mask awareness because until a lot more people get their pokes its still a ways to go until corona is behind us

you know how there are reports like "incidence of flu, tuberculosis, etc down 90% in 2020!!" well it's that

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a bunch of states are starting to do the vaccine lottery thing like Ohio. Ohio went from gaining like .10% to .20% new vaccinations a day earlier this month to over .30% a day this week. I use those numbers since our portal updates by the date the shot was given and some places take a week, sometimes longer, to report so we won't see the actual day to days for a week or two. Friday last week appears to have been the biggest day since early April. Still not anywhere near the peak from when 16+ opened up, but a nice sorely needed bump.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 21, 2021

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

Looks like a bunch of states are starting to do the vaccine lottery thing like Ohio.

Come on, big money!

If I win, I'm going to buy a emigration!

Somewhere nice but not too hot.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I went to a local Bevmo today (a nationwide liquor store chain for those not familiar). The door has a sign that says masks must be worn, and there's even a table beside it with another sign and a box of surgical masks for anyone that doesn't have a mask. I saw people walk in and out without masks on. At this point I think the stores have given up on masks even as they still "require" it.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This is the kind of stuff I posted all the time in the other thread and trying to be compassionate to a scared goon who sees the writing on the wall is a good thing.

Shitloads of people are going to continue to die and nobody cares anymore because they want ice cream on their IHOP and they got mad that it was melted by the time they got home, so now they can go inside and boy are they going to. Hopefully I'm wrong about the death toll.

I'm hopeful that things will continue to get better, but like you I'm afraid a lot more people are going to die that don't have to. It's horrible and terribly upsetting, but there's not really anything I can do to change the big picture. I can do my part by getting vaccinated, wearing a mask, and not licking any of those tasty doorknobs, but beyond that I have to make my peace with the situation. I'll advocate where I can, but my ability to change even my family's minds is limited. So I try not to dwell on it, and protect my own mental health as best I can.

The whole world is going to dealing with PTSD from this for many years to come. I've had it incredibly good - well paying stable job that I can do almost entirely remote, good working conditions at home, etc. - but I’ve still been effectively under house arrest for the last 14 months, and it has definitely taken a toll.

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 22, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Kragger99 posted:

This might come across as doomposting, but it's a serious question.
With much of the US going maskless, and variants mutating in parts of the world that lessen the efficacy of vaxxes, aren't we moving into a new normal where covid is just accepted a part of everyday life, and the vaccines (which will most likely require boosters every 6-12 months) basically lower the chances of having severe symptoms/dying, keeping the hospitals from being overwhelmed? I know there's a lot of other factors involved, but if the hospitals aren't being overwhelmed, why would anyone in Gov't/general pop care about it as long as the economy has number go up, and they could still enjoy the amazing appetizers at Applebees?
There will be a pocket of people like me that continue to wear masks, and take things way more seriously, but generally once people get back to "normal", why would they give that up if the threat is low that they will have severe symptoms/die from it?
My hope is that the group that continues to mask/not go out everyday/night is large enough that it still impacts the economy, but I'm worried it will get smaller as things progress.

Please poke holes in my assumptions, as I don't want them to happen, as they are making my already fragile mental state worse.

I have absolutely no idea how any of this will play out in the long-term (nobody does) but it's important to remember that unchecked COVID spread and pushback against masks etc is mostly a Western thing. Community transmission of COVID is still considered an unacceptable policy by a lot of governments around the world, most importantly China. If COVID and its variants come to be accepted as another type of seasonal flu in some parts of the world, that doesn't necessarily hold true for others, and that's going to have impacts on international travel and trade.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I work for a small business that recently announced that anyone who provides proof of vaccination to HR will be allowed to go maskless in our offices. Overall the company and all my coworkers have taken covid very seriously, everyone has been masked, maintained distance including re-arranging of certain spaces to allow for distance, allowing remote work for those who had jobs where it was possible, etc. I'm vaccinated and will still be working mostly remotely, but when I do go into the office I'm not gonna be sure what to do. On one hand, I still want to wear a mask, on the other hand I don't want others around me to have to worry about me potentially being unvaccinated, or an anti-vaxxer because I'm still wearing a mask. Anyone else in a similar position and if so how are you handling it?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Went to the store and only 60% of people had masks including staff. Kiss your bitch asses goodbye OPEN BIDEN

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

J posted:

I work for a small business that recently announced that anyone who provides proof of vaccination to HR will be allowed to go maskless in our offices. Overall the company and all my coworkers have taken covid very seriously, everyone has been masked, maintained distance including re-arranging of certain spaces to allow for distance, allowing remote work for those who had jobs where it was possible, etc. I'm vaccinated and will still be working mostly remotely, but when I do go into the office I'm not gonna be sure what to do. On one hand, I still want to wear a mask, on the other hand I don't want others around me to have to worry about me potentially being unvaccinated, or an anti-vaxxer because I'm still wearing a mask. Anyone else in a similar position and if so how are you handling it?

Not in a similar situation but I don't think the anti-vaxxers would be wearing a mask in the first place. But if anyone asks, you can just tell them that you're more comfortable with it on for now?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Went to the grocery store tonight. Much better than the trip to the hardware store. 100% masked other than one guy who was wearing his on his chin. There was a group of young girls walking in front of me where one of them wasn't wearing a mask and loudly complaining "If someone says something I'll put it on." But before they even got in her friends started pointing out everyone is wearing them and she put one on.

I guarantee this is not the norm, especially not in Ohio, but nice that my area is still doing okay for now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

J posted:

That's the awkward thing about deciding to stick with masking up, and I wish there was an easy way to let people know I am vaccinated.

At this point I am planning to keep wearing a mask not for me, but for other people. I'm not a risk, and I don't feel at risk, but people like the cashiers and restaurant staff don't know that. If I can make them feel more comfortable then the tiny discomfort of wearing my very nice mask is a very small price to pay.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's the awkward thing about deciding to stick with masking up, and I wish there was an easy way to let people know I am vaccinated.

At this point I am planning to keep wearing a mask not for me, but for other people. I'm not a risk, and I don't feel at risk, but people like the cashiers and restaurant staff don't know that. If I can make them feel more comfortable then the tiny discomfort of wearing my very nice mask is a very small price to pay.

beau ties of vermont got you covered

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Please don’t wear a cloth mask for personal protection.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:hfive:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I technically don't *have* to wear one under CDC guidelines anymore, but I work with people who are not fully vaccinated and especially when I am going into stores and such, I don't know if the people working there are vaccinated so I don't want to accidentally get them sick.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Please don’t wear a cloth mask for personal protection.

Mine is a cloth mask with replaceable N95 filters inside, so it's actually some level of protection. It's a bit moot since I'm fully vaccinated, but I've been sticking with the filters anyway.

That reminds me, I should order more just to have more in stock. If wildfires are bad this year I'm going to deploy my masks for that, too.

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

It’s weird to be feeling hope again and then receive news that an old friend died (“in his sleep”, I hope) while at home during his COVID quarantine because he caught it and didn’t make it. They found him a couple days later when he didn’t show back up for work after quarantine, and no one went to visit because he was in quarantine.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
drat, sorry for your loss.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Electric Sugar posted:

It’s weird to be feeling hope again and then receive news that an old friend died (“in his sleep”, I hope) while at home during his COVID quarantine because he caught it and didn’t make it. They found him a couple days later when he didn’t show back up for work after quarantine, and no one went to visit because he was in quarantine.

Oh that’s awful
I’m so sorry for your loss.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:smith: I hope he had a very nice life filled with happy things.

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:smith: I hope he had a very nice life filled with happy things.

He had some challenges, but he’d gotten into a good job and he had a great group of long-term friends (he was very loved, which makes the way he was found so rotten).

Roll some dice with your friends when you can.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Mine is a cloth mask with replaceable N95 filters inside, so it's actually some level of protection. It's a bit moot since I'm fully vaccinated, but I've been sticking with the filters anyway.

That reminds me, I should order more just to have more in stock. If wildfires are bad this year I'm going to deploy my masks for that, too.

Beau Ties of Vermont masks have pockets or whatever in them for filters!

During the pandemic if I had to go out I wore an n95 mask or a 3m respirator after I got one in like September?

But since I've been vaccinated I just wear these nice cloth masks from the vermont people. I am probably gonna keep doing it for a while in spite of the CDC guidance just to be a positive role model for others.

Got a couple paisley ones and some different colored geometric ones that look like necktie patterns, like this one

the beau tie place also makes and sells ties, bow ties and pocket squares in the same fabrics, but its summer now and too hot to dress nice and that much coordination is a bit much anyway

they have a zillion designs and they are made in vermont and its a very nice cotton fabric, beautiful patterns like silk neckwear, a lot of floral stuff, and fun stuff too and only like 12 bux each, highly recommend

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 22, 2021

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

0.03% chance: Getting coronavirus after being vaccinated incredibly rare in L.A. County

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-05-21/breakthrough-coronavirus-infections-of-vaccinated-people-exceedingly-rare-in-l-a-county

quote:

It is exceedingly rare for fully vaccinated Los Angeles County residents to still get infected by the coronavirus, according to a new analysis by the Department of Public Health.

The analysis results are just the latest evidence of the remarkable effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines, and explain why even cautious public health officials have begun to endorse a widespread reopening of the California economy next month.

“These numbers show that the vaccine is working extraordinarily well to prevent infection, illness and death in almost everyone vaccinated,” L.A. County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said.

Of the 3.3 million L.A. County residents fully vaccinated as of May 7, only 933 — or 0.03% — later tested positive for the coronavirus, including people who showed no symptoms but were tested anyway because of workplace requirements, Ferrer said.

Furthermore, only 71 fully vaccinated residents, or 0.002%, were later hospitalized with so-called breakthrough infections. Twelve residents, or 0.00036% of fully vaccinated people, died.

Of the 12 who died, four had severely weakened immune systems, according to the analysis. In such people, vaccinations may not produce the kind of immune system response needed to adequately protect against COVID-19, experts say.

“People whose immune systems are suppressed may need to continue to take additional steps to protect themselves in seasons and in situations where COVID and other respiratory viruses are spreading more easily,” Ferrer said.

More research is needed to determine which steps those people should take.

The study was completed by matching immunization records of fully vaccinated people with people who tested positive, were hospitalized and died. The county’s results are consistent with what the state has found.

Other studies have found that being fully vaccinated results in a 97% to 99% effectiveness rate in terms of staying out of the hospital, Ferrer said.

“We now have mounting proof that these vaccines really work,” Ferrer said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1396015144233222144

e: Because I know people won't bother to click through - for context, this is basically in line with the real-world pre-variant efficacy numbers we've been seeing in the population as a whole, with a mixture of Pfizer and Oxford vaccines. So now it really is just a race to get the jabs in the arms at a faster rate to account for the faster spread of this variant.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 22, 2021