Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God Bryan losing his loving mind going off about the HBK comeback match against HHH ruining his life on the latest B&V is hilarious :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Great AEW Unrestricted with Tay Conti. I knew the story that when WWE contacted her she'd never heard of them and thought it was human trafficking but didn't know the details of her wanting out of WWE and her release. It's a very funny interview, and I think the story of how she got a look in AEW and Aubrey's reaction to it will surprise a lot of people.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Huge fan of Dave gushing over Ezra Judge's body and the extended "If you could build a wrestler" Orton/Luger tangent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II8V5DHPZ-0&t=38s

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I haven’t had a chance to listen yet, has Ezra Judge ever done anything in the ring or is everyone just super psyched on the fact he’s a protein elemental?

I tried googling him but couldn’t find any matches.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MassRafTer posted:

Great AEW Unrestricted with Tay Conti. I knew the story that when WWE contacted her she'd never heard of them and thought it was human trafficking but didn't know the details of her wanting out of WWE and her release. It's a very funny interview, and I think the story of how she got a look in AEW and Aubrey's reaction to it will surprise a lot of people.

Yeah, Tay came across great.

Straight up saying "they're not nice over there". WWE refusing to release her and then offering that she can go home but they'll keep paying her is so absolutely insane.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Wazzu posted:

Yeah, Tay came across great.

Straight up saying "they're not nice over there". WWE refusing to release her and then offering that she can go home but they'll keep paying her is so absolutely insane.

The “he’s got ten years experience, give him your chair” story isn’t surprising, but it’s still amazing that poo poo persists.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I haven’t had a chance to listen yet, has Ezra Judge ever done anything in the ring or is everyone just super psyched on the fact he’s a protein elemental?

I tried googling him but couldn’t find any matches.
He was a natural in sports so if he cared about wrestling he could be taught everything. Like Dave said, he's a legit 6'7 or so and built better than Lex Luger so if he has any bit of charisma or willingness to learn to wrestle he'd be like Kane or Big Show, or just better than both.

AEW taught Shaq to wrestle a match and it was good, imagine a guy about that size and almost 20 years younger.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Diesel Dog Mafia 4 Life

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

RealFoxy posted:

He was a natural in sports so if he cared about wrestling he could be taught everything. Like Dave said, he's a legit 6'7 or so and built better than Lex Luger so if he has any bit of charisma or willingness to learn to wrestle he'd be like Kane or Big Show, or just better than both.

AEW taught Shaq to wrestle a match and it was good, imagine a guy about that size and almost 20 years younger.

Being generous, maybe 10% of the super athletic people WWE hire turn out to have charisma or be good in the ring. I can easily believe he wasn't progressing.

Or he might have been an rear end in a top hat, or wanted better treatment, any number of reasons.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
A bit nitpicky but Shaq is way bigger than 6'7"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Putting aside current (fairly unique!) COVID-19 issues, New Japan is a great example of a promotion that builds stars but is also able to replace or lose them and keep on going well because they have a great baseline of quality and an investment in continually building other stars who can slot in.

They lost Prince Devitt, AJ Styles, Karl Anderson, Kenny Omega (considered one of the greatest wrestlers of all time), Shinsuke Nakamura (at the time considered basically one of the greatest and most charismatic wrestlers in the world) etc and the promotion just keeps on producing more and more stars, even with Tanahashi and Okada taking less prominent roles, Ibushi only being a comparatively recent full-time signing, etc. They have people in place who can step in or step up, the likes of Ospreay, Switchblade, Takagi, Taichi, ZSJ etc and the matches keep being great, plus they have probably the best/highest potential rookies in the world.

Even they'd admit that they strike out at times (EVIL, anyone?), but at least they give it an honest try.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

The “he’s got ten years experience, give him your chair” story isn’t surprising, but it’s still amazing that poo poo persists.

Wasn't there a story about a ref or a ring announcer who got into "trouble" because they had used their frequent flier miles to upgrade to first class, and that was seen as a big "no-no" (because supposed it made them appear as if they thought they were "better" than the other personnel. Like, even Kane and the Big Show didn't fly first class, even though it would've been far more comfortable for them.)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Davros1 posted:

Wasn't there a story about a ref or a ring announcer who got into "trouble" because they had used their frequent flier miles to upgrade to first class, and that was seen as a big "no-no" (because supposed it made them appear as if they thought they were "better" than the other personnel. Like, even Kane and the Big Show didn't fly first class, even though it would've been far more comfortable for them.)

The story I had heard was that Blue Meanie got booked late on a flight by WWE and ended up in first class because that was the only ticket left. So he sat up there not knowing anything about dumb backstage politics and all the veterans were pissed at him for not giving up his seat to one of them. Of course, no one bothered to even tell him this, they just got pissed that he didn't do it on his own. Then JBL beat the living poo poo out of him in a match.

It's possible it happened with a ref or ring announcer, too, I wouldn't be surprised.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Wazzu posted:

Being generous, maybe 10% of the super athletic people WWE hire turn out to have charisma or be good in the ring. I can easily believe he wasn't progressing.

Or he might have been an rear end in a top hat, or wanted better treatment, any number of reasons.

I've heard a rumor that Ezra Judge got into fights with Drake Wuertz, and if that's true it's good to know WWE has the same approach to internal affairs as an ineffectual middle school principle.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, it was during the Invasion, and I believe it was a referee brought in from WCW (Billy Silverman, I think?).

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Kane and Big Show not flying first class seems physically impossible.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mkay0 posted:

Didn't Show just buy himself a tour bus eventually?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

mkay0 posted:

They would have been flying first class most likely. The WWE policy has always been that the champ gets first class and keeps it after losing the belt. Both were former champs by the time Billy Silverman showed up.

Presumably it was about someone else on the roster like Viscera.

Like with Meanie, Silverman had not been told any of this before he got in trouble.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

yes

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

davidbix posted:

They would have been flying first class most likely. The WWE policy has always been that the champ gets first class and keeps it after losing the belt. Both were former champs by the time Billy Silverman showed up.

Presumably it was about someone else on the roster like Viscera.

Like with Meanie, Silverman had not been told any of this before he got in trouble.

So Jindar gets to fly first class for life? lol

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

A few guys have gotten buses over the years. Randy Orton did, and I believe CM Punk did as well.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I'm not sure anyone was using the buses as a substitute for air travel, though, were they? I could see Wight being an exception, but my understanding was that it was about getting more sleep, being able to have a fridge/better food on the road, and not having to constantly drive while exhausted late at night.

1glitch0 posted:

So Jindar gets to fly first class for life? lol
Unless something's changed? Yes.

If you're a WWE wrestler, just getting a quickie title run leads to a massive quality of life improvement for the remainder of your time in the company. One would hope this has been extended to the women, even if most of them would have less issues with traditional airline seating, but I"ve never asked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

davidbix posted:

If you're a WWE wrestler, just getting a quickie title run leads to a massive quality of life improvement for the remainder of your time in the company. One would hope this has been extended to the women, even if most of them would have less issues with traditional airline seating, but I"ve never asked.

Bayley: Oh come on now, it's not like the company can afford a First Class ticket for me!

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

davidbix posted:

I'm not sure anyone was using the buses as a substitute for air travel, though, were they? I could see Wight being an exception, but my understanding was that it was about getting more sleep, being able to have a fridge/better food on the road, and not having to constantly drive while exhausted late at night.

When you look at the people who got them(Orton, Punk) I'd say "not going to the airport" played a huge part

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dave talked about athlete's who have their own way of excelling that are ruined by orthodox coaches on the last show. I remember him giving a specific example years ago of a field athlete, I think a javelin thrower, who was setting world records but looked goofy doing it and eventually was worn down by coaches into doing 'proper' technique, after which he was nothing special. Something like that.

Anyone remember their name?

*Edit*

Also on the Lance show, Bryan returned to the old song of "Oh people say they're leaving forever but that never happens," with the zombie thing. Every year he says it the total ratings for the show have been lower.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 22, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Mob posted:

When you look at the people who got them(Orton, Punk) I'd say "not going to the airport" played a huge part
I don't think they were taking long bus rides home from everywhere in the country, though. Maybe if they were already in the midwest, but otherwise?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Arbite posted:

Dave talked about athlete's who have their own way of excelling that are ruined by orthodox coaches on the last show. I remember him giving a specific example years ago of a field athlete, I think a javelin thrower, who was setting world records but looked goofy doing it and eventually was worn down by coaches into doing 'proper' technique, after which he was nothing special. Something like that.

Anyone remember their name?

I don’t remember their name but it was a javelin thrower. I distinctly remember listening to that story at the HK airport.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
2 hour WOR today :eyepop:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
“Dave and Garrett…”

:blastu:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

davidbix posted:

Unless something's changed? Yes.

I love the idea of Brian Kendrick cockily sitting down in first class because he won the world championship for a few minutes in that scramble match. I'm going to imagine that happened.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

I love the idea of Brian Kendrick cockily sitting down in first class because he won the world championship for a few minutes in that scramble match. I'm going to imagine that happened.

He was cruiserweight champ so he only gets to ride first class if there's enough overhead bin space.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The Rudo Recap for AEW Dynamite is up on our YouTube page! We speculate on Cody's jacket, why the Pinnacle's dinner would have been better if they had a good sommelier, and Max Caster rapping his own funeral dirge:

https://twitter.com/RudoWrestling/status/1396148759671627780

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRwktFjPKpM

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Enjoyed Bryan describing his daughter tripping and falling as her taking a bump

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
The way Dave reports anything he hears from someone he likes as total fact without a second of skepticism: “So the guy stepped on his toe so he beat the poo poo out of him so he stabbed him with a knife he had urinated on”
:rolleyes:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Dave’s a primo bullshitter. Love the dude tho

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DAVE. PERM.

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1396322854682218498?s=20

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay

No wonder he got so mad when she smashed that banana in his hair. Of course he sought retribution in kind.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Halverine posted:

The way Dave reports anything he hears from someone he likes as total fact without a second of skepticism: “So the guy stepped on his toe so he beat the poo poo out of him so he stabbed him with a knife he had urinated on”
:rolleyes:

what about prefacing a story by saying he's heard dozens of stories and it was the story he was told the most counts as "reporting as total fact"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The version of the Rikidozan stabbing Meltzer told lines up with what appears to have been reported/recorded in the court case for the dude who stabbed Rikidozan. The urine soaked blade thing seems ridiculous, but the guy who had it was a young Yakuza member who did his bid and came out and continued to be Yakuza.

I don't know anything about organized crime in Japan in the 1960s (or now) but having weird weapons as a member of a gang seems less insane to me than being "a guy out drinking who has a urine soaked knife". It may all be total bullshit, but it's the accepted narrative pretty universally from the look of it, as opposed to Bischoff's "murdered for being Korean" narrative. It's like how we don't know for a fact that Owen Hart definitely would have retired from wrestling in 2000 and maybe became a firefighter, but it's what a lot of people close to him claimed. It's closer to objective truth than "if Owen hadn't climbed up to the arena ceiling in May 1999, he was going to become the new bassist for Metallica and fight Tito Ortiz at UFC 30, becoming the most dominant light heavyweight champion to ever assassinate a sitting President"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Enjoyed Bryan describing his daughter tripping and falling as her taking a bump

I feel like Bryan really is the master of slipping wrestling terminology into everyday conversation