Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

Cartoon Network
Speaking of, they are trying to diversify their demographics beyond "Teen Titans fans" with a new preschool block, and this whole take two years to make a cartoon can really bite people in the rear end:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess maybe it could just be because if you're swapping the race of a character for a new series, odds are you don't wanna make a big thing about it or imagine much about how the character's new race would impact their life, so you'd do it for some side character or background character. Possibly one that was already distinct from the rest of the cast by having a different color hair.

Almost assuredly this is it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Holy poo poo the new adventure time special

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

If I recall correctly the titular robot is barely even in the show too, like it's brutally obvious that the people making it had just taken their own unrelated sci-fi concept and made just the bare minimum amount of changes and lip service so they could call it a Voltron show

S1 is basically a completely different show.

It's pretty decent all around, aside from just sort of meandering for the last 2 seasons to wrap everything up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just started the latest AT special and saw Jmoyns has a story credit and I am already losing it

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Speaking of, they are trying to diversify their demographics beyond "Teen Titans fans" with a new preschool block, and this whole take two years to make a cartoon can really bite people in the rear end:

Loooooool, lemme guess, is that cat she hangs out with a war criminal too?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Just started the latest AT special and saw Jmoyns has a story credit and I am already losing it

Finished. I cried. It’s amazing

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

If I recall correctly the titular robot is barely even in the show too, like it's brutally obvious that the people making it had just taken their own unrelated sci-fi concept and made just the bare minimum amount of changes and lip service so they could call it a Voltron show

Just how the fanbase wanted it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
new Adventure Time reduced me to a sobbing wreck, 10/10

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Nu Voltron shipping wars were unusually intense and it really started to drag on the crew from what I understand.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did the series get a proper ending at least? And assuming it was a reboot, how much of the original Go Lion story wound up being retained?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Larryb posted:

Did the series get a proper ending at least? And assuming it was a reboot, how much of the original Go Lion story wound up being retained?

Yea.
It was a reboot, yup.
Never seen Go Lion or the original voltron, so idk.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Yea.
It was a reboot, yup.
Never seen Go Lion or the original voltron, so idk.

It’s on Crunchyroll if you’re curious. By 80’s anime standards it’s actually pretty decent overall (though I will warn you that the uncut Japanese version can get super dark and violent at times and the ending was kind of a wet fart in my opinion).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The OP will also get stuck in your head.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Holy poo poo the new adventure time special

It’s incredible. Satisfying in every way. I like how they keep adding tiny touches to leave parts of the world open beyond what we’re able to see, like Simon, Marceline, and Bubblegum not being in the deadworld despite the Bubblegum thing inside the castle, and Jake’s death and Finn’s life being huge open questions despite small hints.

Really, this is an excellent complement to the series finale, giving us a sense of closure for Finn and Jake’s relationship while the series finale is more like the last day of school, with a sense that what we experienced is changing into something else, but with a clear future that’s wide-open.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s incredible. Satisfying in every way. I like how they keep adding tiny touches to leave parts of the world open beyond what we’re able to see, like Simon, Marceline, and Bubblegum not being in the deadworld despite the Bubblegum thing inside the castle, and Jake’s death and Finn’s life being huge open questions despite small hints.

We've seen what ends up happening to a few of those characters, haven't we? In one of the Grayble episodes.

That and this episode's vision of the Bubblegum Lich thing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
New season of high school musical delivers, although the villain seems a bit underbaked. Which is realistic, it’s very hard to be a fellow student and have any sort of power beyond squealing.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Open Source Idiom posted:

That and this episode's vision of the Bubblegum Lich thing.

That was a flashback all the way to the season 2 finale

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

That was a flashback all the way to the season 2 finale

Huh. I've not seen a lot of the early seasons. Cool.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Man that AT special reduced me to tears and I love and miss this show so much. Just the sheer creativity. Wow.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Open Source Idiom posted:

We've seen what ends up happening to a few of those characters, haven't we? In one of the Grayble episodes.

Kinda-sorta. We see the distant future of the Candy Kingdom, but not PB herself. There was a cameo of a savage-looking bearded thing that appeared to be Simon after completely losing himself to the crown, but the series finale revealed that was actually Gunter. And I don't think we got any clue of what became of Marceline in that episode.

Also yeah the AT special was great.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pakled posted:

Kinda-sorta. We see the distant future of the Candy Kingdom, but not PB herself. There was a cameo of a savage-looking bearded thing that appeared to be Simon after completely losing himself to the crown, but the series finale revealed that was actually Gunter. And I don't think we got any clue of what became of Marceline in that episode.

Also yeah the AT special was great.

I was assuming the crystallized PB we saw behind PepBut wasn't a statue.

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

The black/ginger thing is a racist talking point that the right wing like to bring up as white erasure.

Saying it's white erasure is a racist talking point but saying that it happens weirdly often is just an accurate observation

MonsterEnvy posted:

Character designs from the new Superman

Small girl is apparently part of the Newsboy/girl/people Legion, but don't quote me on it, Just what I heard and is probably just a theory.

The small girl is April O'Neil from Rise of the TMNT. She later becomes a reporter after hanging out with all these other reporters

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Also is it me or does that fashion already look dated? The whole ankles and big coats over tight clothing thing was early 2010s. We're past that now

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
They could dress like it was the 80s, shoulder pads and all, and I would be fine with it if they give me a non cynical Superman.

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Twibbit posted:

They could dress like it was the 80s, shoulder pads and all, and I would be fine with it if they give me a non cynical Superman.

:hmmyes:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Jimmy has bisexual pant cuffs.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

The_Doctor posted:

Jimmy has bisexual pant cuffs.

Hmm, seems my farm kid overwrote my Bi in that one. Also this is the first I heard of that one O.o I mean I knew about the not knowing how to use a chair properly but pants cuffs is new to me.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, that's probably the ideal stopping point. My ramble on the show's issues:
so first 26 episodes are pretty great. Then season 2 finale ends with the leader, Shiro, seemingly dying to almost kill the big bad. This leads into Keith, the pilot of the Red Lion taking over. It takes 3 episodes for the team to adjust with a new lineup, while they're fighting the equivalent of Azula, Ty Lee and Mai from ATLA, one evil AU episode, an episode about how Shiro is actually alive and gets back with the team, a big lore flashback episode, and then we just take Keith out of the main cast so Shiro is back to leading.
The Azula equivalent kinda spends the rest of his time being the actual joke definition of morally gray "evil, but attractive, so who knows" with a slave planet but sometimes everyone acts like he has a point.
The pacing is all kinds of hosed for the four remaning seasons.
We spend nine episodes on a dreadful run back to earth where they don't have the fast travel, so it's just kinda edgy and sad. It's sorta cool, but if the show's grinding on you then this will be absolutely awful.
Much like this show's Azula's morals bouncing back and forth for a while, this show's Princess Allura spends way too long on a heel turn fakeout, only to be killed at the end.
They made a big deal in the leadup to the final season about how Shiro was gay all along and they'd go into it. He gets 1 flashback where his (implied) husband is around, and then we find out he died. In the final there's 1 frame where he married some new character.
The cast just doesn't feel like they get room to grow after those first two seasons. There's some cool hints of stuff here and there, specially in the stretch when Keith has to be the leader, but it never pays off.
can't really remember why, but i was very upset during the final few episodes. Just couldn't enjoy anything that was going on.

It also kind of loses focus when they kill off Zarkon at the start of season 5, and the series kind of flounders without a concrete Big Bad to fight against.

Speaking of: Has anybody noticed how killing off the main villain midway through a show has kind of been a thing over the past decade or so? Voltron did it, Star Vs. The Forces of Evil did it, BBC's Sherlock did it...It never seems to go well, so I'm kind of baffled why so many shows choose to do it. Is it an outgrowth of the relatively recent popularity of that "The villain gets captured midway through the movie but that was all part of his grand master plan!" schtick that The Dark Knight popularized or is there something else that inspired its rise in popularity?

Dog King posted:

Also is it me or does that fashion already look dated? The whole ankles and big coats over tight clothing thing was early 2010s. We're past that now

I mean, Jimmy's always been kind of a huge dweebus and walking fashion disaster, so this seems entirely in-line with the character. I hope that they also carry over the fact that he's been an inexplicable weirdness magnet even before he met Superman!

It's actually weird, because "A lighthearted sitcom that focuses on the staff of the daily planet and Clark's civilian life over his life as Superman" is a show concept I've been half-jokingly talking about on forums for years...

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 22, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KingKalamari posted:

It's actually weird, because "A lighthearted sitcom that focuses on the staff of the daily planet and Clark's civilian life over his life as Superman" is a show concept I've been half-jokingly talking about on forums for years...

Lois and Clark?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Has Clark Kent ever been interesting?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Watch Superman and Lois.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Giving a character red hair used to be shorthand for presenting them as Irish, which very much used to be a minority group. Nowadays Irish people aren't thought of in the same way, so making a redheaded character black works to achieve a similar effect.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Lois and Clark?

Yeah, the 90s Lois and Clark was goofy as hell but in a really fun way, even the terrible christmas special with the evil toymaker trying to ruin christmas had some fun moments, and it had some strong moments with the other primary characters, like when Lex Luthor saves Lois from a minor criminal while superman is busy elsewhere and gets to enjoy the look on his face when he arrives and Lois exclaims "Superman! Lex saved me!"

The minor characters like the Kents had stuff to do as well, like an episode had a subplot where Pa Kent finds a nude painting of his wife and thinks she's having an affair (and the actual situation, that she's started taking an art class because she's bored of wasting her old age doing nothing on a farm is super cute.).

I also loved the episode with the time traveller who claims (it's possible he's deliberately trolling her) that Lois goes down in history, as the stupidest woman who ever lived because she never figured out Clark's secret despite it just being a pair of glasses.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alan_Shore posted:

Always has been. And I am tired of pretending he isn't, or however that meme goes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BioEnchanted posted:

I also loved the episode with the time traveller who claims (it's possible he's deliberately trolling her) that Lois goes down in history, as the stupidest woman who ever lived because she never figured out Clark's secret despite it just being a pair of glasses.

Tempus was such a great character. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Nov7vSkmU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think in general time gimmick characters are always fun. Like Temple Fugate in Batman TAS and (his variation in Arrow), who initially appears as a hyper-punctual timing obsessive and is able to fight Batman to a stand still because he knows exactly how long it takes him to throw a punch and he just need to not be there anymore, and then in his second episode he has a time manipulation device that in the first scene of the episode he's just using to troll the auction secretary before doing the actual crime.

Also Dr Kronos from The Mask Cartoon, who always had very elaborate and fun plans, and funny ways of defeating her, like in one episode she traps stanley in a Time loop for 30 minutes, and every time he loops, it results in a new Kronos showing up as she is using a sideeffect to basically clone herself so she can break time and become a goddess, and it ends with the Mask trapping HER in a 10 second time loop where he's eternally pummelling her with a grandfather clock.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 22, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Similarly Professor Paradox was pretty consistently the best aspect of the Alien Force/Ultimate Alien portions of the original Ben 10 continuity

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Let's not forget a darker example - the guy from the Teen Titans show that accidentally thrust Starfire into a future where she disappeared because of being thrust into the future suddenly, leaving the team without a very important member and emotionally ruining them for years due to the shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Anyone else watched Jurassic Park Camp Cretaceous?
it was pretty decent! And I’m glad the kids finally got off the island