Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS-LQr2X2dg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
https://twitter.com/darksoulstoilet/status/1374718386899390466?s=19

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So is there some trick to expedite the first phase of the fire demon fight? It’s not like, super hard or anything cause it’s designed to be blown through, but unlike other multiphase/gimmick fights like Ornstien/Smough, Bell Gargoyles, Abyss Watchers and the the Lothric Bros they don’t die very fast, even a single guy takes like 250ish damage unbuffed so umm, should I just say gently caress it and summon?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Last Celebration posted:

So is there some trick to expedite the first phase of the fire demon fight? It’s not like, super hard or anything cause it’s designed to be blown through, but unlike other multiphase/gimmick fights like Ornstien/Smough, Bell Gargoyles, Abyss Watchers and the the Lothric Bros they don’t die very fast, even a single guy takes like 250ish damage unbuffed so umm, should I just say gently caress it and summon?
Summoning can work (I've heard), Lapp is pretty good if you don't find a human. However, there is a way to expedite the fight, and that is hitting them enough in short succession to trigger a visceral. Of course that's tough when there's two dudes going mental on you, but they do actually have some openings where one is laying down a slow ranged attack far away and the other goes melee, then you can dodge + punish that one. They stagger surprisingly quickly, so you can visceral multiple times.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ah, I pulled off a few BB style viscerals after whaling on them enough but didn’t connect it to damage in a certain timeframe even though more proced after the first one went down, I just figured it was damage to the head.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think any damage is fine, as long as it's enough. I think they have an invisible stagger bar that builds up as you hit them, much like your own status bars and how poise worked in DS1 and 2. When it's full, they stagger. While you're not hitting them, it depletes.

There's a lot of enemies you can visceral that you might not know because they usually don't allow aggression. Nameless King for example can be visceraled, but usually he's to fast to build up the bar.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Most of my boss fights have been with pyromancy so I wouldn’t have noticed anyway, heh. Although Soul of Cinder did stagger a few times when I got bolder with dark orb spam and I heard a weird sound effect, maybe it was that?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Every boss in the Ringed City DLC is designed as an endurance marathon with tons of HP and the defence to match. The fight with Demon Prince is giving you a taste of things to come.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
A caution against summoning an NPC- they will help take targeting off of you but generally speaking I never found Lapp or Gael to do enough damage to balance out giving the demon princes even MORE health. They have so much health.

I spent a while my first time trying to beat them alternating summoning and going solo and eventually knocked them out on my own. If you have a friend, especially one that knows the fight, it'll probably be much easier otherwise I would just try and take them on by yourself, you'll get it eventually.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Pyromancers can make decent use of the Dark magic staffs to cast Great Soul Dregs. It has crazy good range and tracking against the demon prince.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zesty posted:

I don't know this game very well.

I'm trying this build.

I have a bandit's knife as a third weapon. What should I infuse it with? Hollow for +5 luck? Bleed? Sharp?

You really don't need to fill all your weapon slots. Like you mentioned dumping the great scythe because of the weight -- the build isn't saying to stick both of those in your weapon slots, it's saying to pick one or the other to equip.
If you already have the straight sword I wouldn't bother with upgrading a Hollow/Sharp knife also since they're not that different in terms of moveset or effective range etc. The real benefit of having multiple weapons is using stuff that's good in different situations. However having one "pure damage" weapon and one bleed-focused weapon for different situations is a good idea.

The value of Hollow Infusion here is that the build has 40 Luck and Hollow adds luck-based damage scaling, so it'll do more up-front damage than bleed infusion. Anri's Straight Sword can't be infused but it has innate luck scaling as well, which is why the build suggests it. The +5 luck for wielding a hollow weapon while fully-hollowed is just a nice side bonus to the real benefit: damage.
If you're not fully leveled yet and you have more points in dex than luck, you can see whether hollow or sharp gives you more total damage with your current stats by just hovering over the option for each in the blacksmith's infusion menu. (You can change infusions at any time, if you have the materials, so it's not a big deal to use one now and switch to a different later.)

Bleed tends to be pretty weak against a lot of low-hp normal enemies since you need to hit them enough times to proc it that you might've killed them already with a higher-damage weapon. But it's great against bosses and tankier single enemies (at least ones that don't resist it), so it's not a bad idea to have both a pure-damage weapon and a bleed-infused weapon. The luck stat also gives a bonus to bleed buildup, which is why luck builds in particular like the bleed infusion.
The best weapons to bleed-infuse are ones that already have some base bleed, like your Bandit Knife or the Warden Twinblades, but you never want a bleed-infused weapon to be your only weapon because they sacrifice damage for that bleed effect and some enemies/bosses can be resistant or outright immune to bleed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Alright. I'll play around with it. I've restarted the run because apparently killing Anri for that straight sword hosed up the ending I was going for.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah, killing NPCs in souls games tends to create a lot of issues. Can be cool for some sequence-break or speedrun strats to get certain items earlier but overall I wouldn't recommend it on your first playthrough.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

War Wizard posted:

Pyromancers can make decent use of the Dark magic staffs to cast Great Soul Dregs. It has crazy good range and tracking against the demon prince.

Dorhy's Gnawing works well on the Demon Princes, they're sensitve to bleed. Used this on my mostly Pyromancer guy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Been trying to get a guided playthrough of DS1 going with a friend, but that stalled a bit and I got bored and had a head full of Dark Souls so here I am. Stopped last night at the Road of Sacrifices bonfire.

So far the combat has felt fine. It's obviously faster paced and more fluid than the previous games, but nothing has felt too egregiously fast or insurmountable yet. (The Spindly Irithyll Fuckface? in the basement of the Giant's tower was maybe the former, but not so much the latter.)

My real beef so far has been the map and encounter design. And I guess even the general graphical sensibilities. The first two games were various degrees of simple, elegant, or just sparse, and not in a particularly negative way either (yes, even DS2). Here though...jeez. It's a next gen Dark Souls so let's have every area be screamingly overdesigned. I get it in Bloodborne, where it's very explicitly "mannered Victorian England got Cthulhu all over it", but here it just makes for a lot of visual noise in a way that's a bit of a turn-off.

Some encounters are right out of your classic Dark Souls playbook - the side path in the Undead Settlement where all the little hooded guys pepper you with darts and also ambush you. Or the *chef's kiss* moment where the giant rat jumps at you through the fog. Other times it just feels sloppy and weird. So many other spots in the High Wall where dudes just...ambush you because it's Dark Souls. But with no real way of predicting their presence or taking preventative measures. Lots of enemies with patrol routes that mean encounters can play out completely differently, too, not helped by everything resetting via bonfires so certain routes act differently depending on which bonfire you used. In a lot of cases you're meant to just ignore them or path around - you don't need to and really shouldn't fight the fatty every single time you pass through that courtyard for instance - but I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the plus side, they've really gone shortcut-happy, especially for boss runbacks, which is appreciated.

And granted, my playthrough is going to feel a bit wonky because I'm following a guide to avoid breaking any NPC quests, but the broader map design just hasn't impressed yet either. High Wall splitting off between "basically pointless dead end" and "way you're actually meant to go" is dumb. Undead Settlement is a pain to mentally map out because of all the terrain changes, crossing paths, and such. It is well done that every path eventually leads to the boss arena, but in the moment actually sussing out all of those paths has felt, idk, clunky.

Also wasn't a fan of how the Corpse Rotted Greatwood fight turned more into a fight against the camera than anything else... The camera in general has felt really off. I have the usual suspects turned off in the options, but I think because they pulled the camera back compared to the first two games it's just fundamentally different now?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That "pointless dead end" section from the first bonfire in the high wall actually connects to a locked door that's a shortcut to the boss -- you probably missed it in your run-through. Plus the goo monster up top drops the first titanite shard in the game!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Second, unless you skip the one in cemetery of ash

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
this is the ideal male body. you may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

bring it in big guy

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That "pointless dead end" section from the first bonfire in the high wall actually connects to a locked door that's a shortcut to the boss -- you probably missed it in your run-through. Plus the goo monster up top drops the first titanite shard in the game!

I did find that shortcut, I just forgot it linked up there. :v: (That was one of the runbacks I was talking about, actually - there's ledges the whole way along to speed past enemies.) I also failed to elucidate my point properly, which is that it feels kinda assy to be faced with a binary left or right choice and then one of them is a weird stunted path that doesn't really do anything for the moment while the other one is the entire rest of the level, so you just have turn around and go back. It's not some giant hassle, but I'm comparing it to the Undead Burg which I think is a masterpiece of design.

In general the map layouts have caused a lot of choice paralysis for me, feels like every area so far has had really divided A/B/minor C paths. (With Cathedral shaking things up with the multiple mostly-linear loops to the same central bonfire thing.) Though again, a non-zero amount of this anxiety is also being caused by me trying not to break side quests - how the hell do I know whether that ladder goes to a single discrete piece of loot, a side area with lots to do, a bonfire, and/or the entire next area but oh yeah taking more than three steps in instantly fails half the NPC quests. :iiam: And to whit - there's a common chance for Patches to never show up in the Cathedral and instead jump ahead to the Firelink tower. Nobody seems to actually have a concrete idea as to what causes this and all the ideas I've read must be wrong because they don't apply to me (ie, buying the tower key early). :argh:

Anyway, progress report: Road of Sacrifices is cleared out. Managed to survive and overcome a watchdog double teaming, which I'm pretty proud of. Cathedral is fully cleared except for the boss.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 22, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Not having Patches show up in the Cathedral doesn’t break his or Siegward’s quest. It’s stupidly fragile.

Just don’t light the dead lady’s bonfire(?) or join her covenant if you want to do Siris’ quest.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I think you can actually join the covenant, you just have to refrain from paying into the covenant once you’ve joined.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

axolotl farmer posted:

Not having Patches show up in the Cathedral doesn’t break his or Siegward’s quest. It’s stupidly fragile.

I know it doesn't break, it's more the fact that even now nobody's 100% sure why it happens. I think I've heard in the past going up to the rafters early can do it, and I will say that is something I did as I was exploring, so that's my best guess anyway.

And yeah, from what I've read Sirris' quest was patched to make it less ridiculous. She gave me her gesture even after I joined the covenant, lit the bonfire, and GTFO.

Progress report: Knew I could just go sweep out the Deacons without much fuss, so I did. Cleared out Farron Swamp pretty thoroughly, even the rear end in a top hat tree mages. Next two steps are to take the watchdog tower elevator (which I immediately forgot existed because yay ADHD :v:) and get my precious, precious Havel's Ring and then fight the Artorias fanboy squad.

Also...what on earth is the purpose of the shortcut from the Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire back into Road of Sacrifices? :psyduck:

Also also, considering its reputation I expected the swamp to be way worse. Honestly just kind of annoying more than anything. Though the jumpy Ghru fuckers with the grab are real dicks. :argh:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 22, 2021

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

John Murdoch posted:

Also...what on earth is the purpose of the shortcut from the Farron Keep Outskirts bonfire back into Road of Sacrifices? :psyduck:

Interconnectivity! :haw:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

The Protagonist posted:

Interconnectivity! :haw:

The whole area is a PvP arena. You need that interconnectivity to play hide and seek until your tormentors get too close to the ladder.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Fought these two passive clowns for a good while until I realized I could just go for their host downstairs instead...
https://i.imgur.com/ipyKFkb.mp4

Gravity OP

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

War Wizard posted:

The whole area is a PvP arena. You need that interconnectivity to play hide and seek until your tormentors get too close to the ladder.

My other PVP experience so far was a Watchdog invading in the swamp, apparently having no idea how to handle it because he spent the entire time on the totally wrong end of the place getting poisoned and slowly dying. As I just shrugged and started clearing out slugs and not giving a crap, a blue cop actually got pulled in near me but quickly got bored and left. About a minute later the invader died without me ever seeing him. I didn't use a giant seed, so I'm not really sure what happened there.

Oh, and also I guess someone was trying to invade just as I was entering the Crystal Sage fight because I automatically sent POINT DOWN AT ME packing. :v:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

John Murdoch posted:

My other PVP experience so far was a Watchdog invading in the swamp, apparently having no idea how to handle it because he spent the entire time on the totally wrong end of the place getting poisoned and slowly dying. As I just shrugged and started clearing out slugs and not giving a crap, a blue cop actually got pulled in near me but quickly got bored and left. About a minute later the invader died without me ever seeing him. I didn't use a giant seed, so I'm not really sure what happened there.

Oh, and also I guess someone was trying to invade just as I was entering the Crystal Sage fight because I automatically sent POINT DOWN AT ME packing. :v:

Might be slightly cheesy, but if you keep a homeward bone in your item slot, it'll go dim when you get invaded, even before the invader actually spawns.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

John Murdoch posted:

And granted, my playthrough is going to feel a bit wonky because I'm following a guide to avoid breaking any NPC quests

I really wish people wouldn't do this. Play how you want ultimately, but it isn't how the games are designed to be approached. The lesson in "NPC quests are very easy too miss" isn't "you should read a guide and follow it as you play" its "embrace failure, they aren't important for your first run".

FROM treats NPC quests as secrets to discover on replay in all the souls games but so many people refuse to do it that way. Oh well, as long as you have fun. I just can't imagine reading a guide and spoiling all the cool secrets that dark souls only gets to deliver once.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
People get attached to the NPCs and just want the best for them :shobon:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
In lots of cases you can't save everybody :cheeky:

Although I'll say Sekiro does a much better job of getting you really attached to the NPCs, hopefully FROM continues in that vein in the future.

Thing is Sekiro has important story dudes you care about like Kuro, (who can't really be missed) but it also has small side people like Jinzaemon who are easily missed.

The thing about Souls is it only has dudes like the latter, Solaire and Lucatiel and Anri and so on are cool, but can't hold a candle to the Sculptor or Emma or Isshin.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Yoel of Londor always made me feel wanted when I spoke to him. Love you, little buddy!

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

New to Souls 3, having just run through 1 and 2. Love how every time I start the game I have to dismiss a patch announcement from 2017. gently caress that eggy tree,

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Glimpse posted:

New to Souls 3, having just run through 1 and 2. Love how every time I start the game I have to dismiss a patch announcement from 2017. gently caress that eggy tree,

I miss the old Souls PC release where every time you logged in there was a popup that said

"There is no new information"

Like lmao

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Glimpse posted:

The greatest troll in any FROM game isn't any of the enemies or levels, its how long it takes to get into the loving game and the fact you have to go back to the menu again when you're done instead of being able to qtd from in game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

People get attached to the NPCs and just want the best for them :shobon:

Except finishing an NPC's story/quest line in a souls game usually ends in them going hollow, getting killed, or committing suicide.
The most reliable way to keep them alive is to not progress their quests.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zaphod42 posted:

I really wish people wouldn't do this. Play how you want ultimately, but it isn't how the games are designed to be approached. The lesson in "NPC quests are very easy too miss" isn't "you should read a guide and follow it as you play" its "embrace failure, they aren't important for your first run".

FROM treats NPC quests as secrets to discover on replay in all the souls games but so many people refuse to do it that way. Oh well, as long as you have fun. I just can't imagine reading a guide and spoiling all the cool secrets that dark souls only gets to deliver once.

Main thing is I don't get the itch to immediately start over and replay the games, so I'd really just prefer to just see as much cool stuff as I can in one go. And with how finicky and arcane most of this poo poo is, it's not like I'd figure any of it out beyond absolute dumb luck even if I did replay the game. I'm not literally playing 1:1 with some step by step instructions, I'm just making sure I don't get tripped up by any really egregious poo poo, and unfortunately 3's quests are full of egregious poo poo.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 24, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I know this poo poo’s like ten hours once you’ve memorized the rough blueprint of “poo poo what I need for my build” buy Im pushing seventy on my first playthough (a lot of that is probably water/bathroom breaks so like sixty but still) and still have the actual Ringed City to go. I’m definitely coming back to this at some point for a replay but I’m a no life loser so i get just wanted to play an amazing game once.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 24, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also I feel like the whole "but it's fun to figure out how to resurrect Rhea all on your own on NG+++!" argument breaks down when DS3 goes as far as to make core NPCs like Orbeck possible to arbitrarily sabotage. Thankfully I don't care about magic, but also as a result I can't even get Yuria to ask me to kill him because he needs to move to Firelink for that to happen and he won't if you don't have 10 INT. Can't hand him those scrolls he so desperately wants either. So as I understand it the second I enter the Catacombs he'll just vanish forever. Sucks to be me if I wanted to respec into a magic build at some point.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I think all of that rules and is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The best way to do npc quests has always been ‘do whatever the first time and watch everything you touch die’ and then look at a guide when you’re done/when you’re ready. I loved stumbling into the lord of hollows ending (‘huh, a lot of statues of decapitations’), but the Sirris quest may as well be tagged as ‘guide necessary’. no idea how to do the Leonhard one either.

sirris one is worth it though. Sunset gear rules.