Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm sorry I want a new Clive Barker game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'm sorry I want a new Clive Barker game

Jericho 2 when???

Nah I played the poo poo out of Jericho, it had a lot of neat ideas, visuals, and gameplay but the tone was just.... not scary, mostly due to the lighthearted banter between the squad mates and how unthreatening the enemies were.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Xenomrph posted:

Jericho 2 when???

Nah I played the poo poo out of Jericho, it had a lot of neat ideas, visuals, and gameplay but the tone was just.... not scary, mostly due to the lighthearted banter between the squad mates and how unthreatening the enemies were.

Yeah thats what I mean. Undying and Jericho had amazing visuals and feeling, of course Undying at least was actually scary in its time. I really liked the space of Jericho, how it could be any kind of hell really.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How are the Dread X collections? I've heard generally good things about the first one, are they all worthwhile?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
They're all decently good but the meta game within the hub level where you choose which game to play gets better with each subsequent entry. Whichever Dread X you like more will probably depend on your tastes. The games are more consistent in quality than the the free itch.io compilations like C.H.A.I.N.E.D or the Haunted PS1 Madvent Calendar/demo discs but not many of them are quite as memorable imo. If you like Haunted PS1 or the itch horror scene in general you'll have a good time with them. If you haven't played any of those compilations you might as well start with them since they're free and will give you a pretty good idea of what the Dread X collections have in store.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm kind of surprised that "PT-likes" aren't as common as you'd think. Sure, there are some (Visage, etc.) but not as many as you'd think. Something about that dream-like, looping hallway, that feeling of tension as you round each corner...

Also, while I don't have the patience to play any of them, I do enjoy the recent surge of "working a mundane job but uh oh, poo poo's getting creepy fast" games. Joe's Diner apparently sucked, but I've seen a few others (Convenience Store, Night Shift, Night of the Consumers, etc.) that seem neat.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Read After Burning posted:

I'm kind of surprised that "PT-likes" aren't as common as you'd think. Sure, there are some (Visage, etc.) but not as many as you'd think. Something about that dream-like, looping hallway, that feeling of tension as you round each corner...

Also, while I don't have the patience to play any of them, I do enjoy the recent surge of "working a mundane job but uh oh, poo poo's getting creepy fast" games. Joe's Diner apparently sucked, but I've seen a few others (Convenience Store, Night Shift, Night of the Consumers, etc.) that seem neat.

Well there's tons of PT clones if you go digging around the free games on Steam or itch, but none of them are very notable and all do basically the same things with different window dressing, so I'd say it's more that there are very few notable PT-likes.

The "job horror" trend will continue, I think, but yeah there aren't a ton that do much that's super notable. I liked Convenience Store just fine for what it was, though.

Actually I have found that I really enjoy the trend of indie devs putting out relatively cheap, relatively short horror "experiences" even if they're not a game per se, and Convenience Store is a pretty good example of that. I love me a good, robust horror game that I can sink some hours into, but I think stuff like Anatomy and a bunch of other indie games I'm forgetting have proven that there's an audience for shorter experiences that explore what you can do in the medium.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I did Twitter threads about 2, 3, and The Hunt, just giving my impressions of the games. You can kind of watch me get more and more excited about the whole thing- I've really enjoyed them and am looking forward to more.

E: Christ, that's a mess- I figured it wouldn't do the embed if they were actual links with text. Should be clear what they are anyway, I guess.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The DreadXs are all great.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There's only so much you can get from a demo that was about walking down the same hallway repeatedly while spooky stuff happens around you.

Did it ever get confirmed before it was cancelled that the full game was going to be anything like PT?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Len posted:

Did it ever get confirmed before it was cancelled that the full game was going to be anything like PT?

Apparently not:

Wikipedia posted:

"Kojima elaborated that P.T. and Silent Hills have no canonical and direct relation, and that Silent Hills would have been enhanced by elements that were never in P.T."

Despite it being commonly called a demo of Silent Hills, there is no evidence that it was going to be a part of Silent Hills aside from the reveal of the trailer and title after the end of the game. Hideo Kojima himself explained that it was not a demo of Silent Hills and described it as a "teaser" in a tweet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It was all just a tease

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tease nuts

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm kind of surprised that "PT-likes" aren't as common as you'd think.

Indies had that cover far above and beyond for a while, not in a good way though. For a while practically every game was coincidentally a looping experience.

Also no we need more 'The monster is you' instead of 'THE MONSTER IS YOOOOU', ala rad stuff like Stubbs The Zombie and Carrion.

Also my favorite story about Clive Barker's Undying is this interview
"We had this fellow called Magnus. Count Magnus Wolfram. Who was bald, tattoed, looked like a comic book hero. And I got them all in a room, and I said, 'Look, does anyone in this room know a count? No. Does anybody in this room know anybody called Magnus? No. Does anybody really want to be in this guy's skin? Since this is a first person play, why would you want to be in this man's skin? Why would you want to play [as him]?' And so we threw him out, and I said, 'Look. You've got a gay man in charge here. Bring me somebody I want to sleep with. Bring me somebody fabulously sexy.'"
"Brian Horton about ten days later sent me the character that now appears on the screen. Who was wonderful, he's everything I wanted. He was just the right kind of character. He seemed like somebody you would want to be, somebody you would want to play, whose skin you would want to occupy for a period of time. Even if you are going against the hordes of hell, at least he was going to do it with a smile on his face."

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 22, 2021

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yardbomb posted:

Indies had that cover far above and beyond for a while, not in a good way though. For a while practically every game was coincidentally a looping experience.

Also no we need more 'The monster is you' instead of 'THE MONSTER IS YOOOOU', ala rad stuff like Stubbs The Zombie and Carrion.

Also my favorite story about Clive Barker's Undying is this interview
"We had this fellow called Magnus. Count Magnus Wolfram. Who was bald, tattoed, looked like a comic book hero. And I got them all in a room, and I said, 'Look, does anyone in this room know a count? No. Does anybody in this room know anybody called Magnus? No. Does anybody really want to be in this guy's skin? Since this is a first person play, why would you want to be in this man's skin? Why would you want to play [as him]?' And so we threw him out, and I said, 'Look. You've got a gay man in charge here. Bring me somebody I want to sleep with. Bring me somebody fabulously sexy.'"
"Brian Horton about ten days later sent me the character that now appears on the screen. Who was wonderful, he's everything I wanted. He was just the right kind of character. He seemed like somebody you would want to be, somebody you would want to play, whose skin you would want to occupy for a period of time. Even if you are going against the hordes of hell, at least he was going to do it with a smile on his face."

And from that we got hunks mcgoo, thankfully

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wish we could get another Undying game. And also just a remaster or something.

I should pick it up on gog some day since it's pretty cheap.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TheWorldsaStage posted:

And from that we got hunks mcgoo, thankfully

Jaamed

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FirstAidKite posted:

I wish we could get another Undying game. And also just a remaster or something.

I should pick it up on gog some day since it's pretty cheap.

The thing you'll have forgotten is that there's a surprisingly high number of loading spots because they thought they were going to port it to Xbox and made the maps small so they could fit in the Xbox's RAM. Much more tolerable on a modern machine.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Pope Guilty posted:

The thing you'll have forgotten is that there's a surprisingly high number of loading spots because they thought they were going to port it to Xbox and made the maps small so they could fit in the Xbox's RAM. Much more tolerable on a modern machine.

I tried to replay it last year and didn't get far. There is an annoying number of "where the gently caress am i supposed to go, let's consult a walkthrough, oh, it's that little hole in the landscape here that's not marked in any special way" moments, the character animation in the cutscenes is pretty terrible and the whole thing is a bit of a slog to be honest.

Plus it was designed for 4:3 monitors, and while there are patches to make the whole thing work on a 16:9 format, it never quite looks right.

The title song still kicks rear end though. ♩ Dum spiro spero, dum spiro scio... ♫
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_sg5-o5qa4

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

The Invisible War Experience

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Honestly what I remember the most is the LP from over a decade ago where the LPer spent a good portion of the levels at super low HP and just refused to heal up and still kicked everyone's rear end with magic skull missiles, a tibetan war cannon, a revolver loaded up with silver bullets, and the magical scythe capable of killing immortals.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The other thing is that I think they rushed the end of the game- once you hit the Eternal Autumn and go after Bethany, it kind of nosedives. Final boss is cool-looking though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you're going to have me playing as The Real Monster at least have me play as a literal monster.

Like a Frankenstein, or a Dracula, or a The Blob.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

If you're going to have me playing as The Real Monster at least have me play as a literal monster.

Like a Frankenstein, or a Dracula, or a The Blob.

Mentioned it earlier, but if you haven't played CARRION it did that real well, you get to be the horrible thing that escapes containment and rampages through the facility.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/953490/CARRION/

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/VonisV2/status/1396535281445183498?s=19

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blue jeans and a green bomber jacket, time to fight psychological horrors and be the monster all along.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

al-azad posted:

Blue jeans and a green bomber jacket, time to fight psychological horrors and be the monster all along.

Ah cmon, that's not fair on Alan. He's not the monster, he's a shoddily written protagonist.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fil5000 posted:

Ah cmon, that's not fair on Alan. He's not the monster, he's a shoddily written protagonist.

I can think of nothing scarier :ohdear:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/KhayyaamButt/status/1397278332157317124?s=19

https://twitter.com/KhayyaamButt/status/1397287781236367360?s=19

https://twitter.com/affectionatWeeb/status/1397325447956992001?s=19

https://twitter.com/MazingerEternal/status/1397311935851364354?s=19

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
forbidden power

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Personally my most cursed RE knowledge is what Ethan Winters actually looks like

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Basic Chunnel posted:

Personally my most cursed RE knowledge is what Ethan Winters actually looks like

I derive great pleasure from knowing he's the most unstoppable Terminator-esque protagonist while looking like a complete milquetoast video games youtuber

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/DoubleAgtSmith/status/1396888130603606021?s=19

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
(Um, actually, dogecoin is very stable and a smart investment. Just lol if you're still not convinced Elon is a genius, like, I got 2000 upvotes and was gifted gold on Reddit for this post about him, here let me show you...)
|/

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The best description I've ever heard for Ethan Winters is 'what if you gave Griffin McElroy a loaded gun.'

Also that picture is a fan render, if I'm not mistaken.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You actually get to see Ethan's face in RE7 no? Or am I misremembering

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

You only see like part of his lower face late in the game, after the boating accident.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

That's really all you need - the fact of his being a boater is enough to reconstruct the image seen above

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

You actually get to see Ethan's face in RE7 no? Or am I misremembering

not in 7 but you can see it in 8 if you know where to look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Basic Chunnel posted:

hate to break it to you but this is fan art

you can tell since the url for that image has the person who made its name in it