Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The Mako segments really aren't that great from a gameplay standpoint. However I think they really do a lot for the World building and vibe of the game. Having gone through most of Mass Effect 1 even though it's way smaller of a game than the sequels in terms of content it feels a lot larger and that's part of the reason.

One of those things that if you take it on its own terms you can appreciate but you can also skip it if you don't enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Does the remastered version fix the horrible "Samara won't love me back" bug? :smith:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Virmire down. RIP Ash, you were just too racist for my ship

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Simone Magus posted:

Virmire down. RIP Ash, you were just too racist for my ship

I honestly don't understand why Alenko gets hate. He is chill and good.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Most of the recruitments make sense for the Illusive Man to push on Shepard, considering he didn't know Archangel was Garrus, but I do wonder why they thought Jack was a good idea, if only because she hates Cerberus with no clear aversion to murder.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Does the remastered version fix the horrible "Samara won't love me back" bug? :smith:

old news but the citadel dlc fixes that

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bobjr posted:

Most of the recruitments make sense for the Illusive Man to push on Shepard, considering he didn't know Archangel was Garrus, but I do wonder why they thought Jack was a good idea, if only because she hates Cerberus with no clear aversion to murder.

It makes more sense if you understand that the goal of Cerberus projects is to go bad and kill lots of Cerberus people. Not a great place to work tbh

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Was going to try finish the side missions in ME that involve Cerberus because they come up again in 2 but I'm sick of the bland side missions so I'm just gonna do Ilos now. The main content of ME1 is pretty good, too much filler though.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Theotus posted:

Oh I agree! I think male shep romancing him in 3 is actually the best written of all the romances, and it's cool that it addresses bisexual fears about coming out! :)

Kaidan is my friend

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Was going to try finish the side missions in ME that involve Cerberus because they come up again in 2 but I'm sick of the bland side missions so I'm just gonna do Ilos now. The main content of ME1 is pretty good, too much filler though.

Cerberus is only, what? Three missions? Maybe four? I'd just tough it out and complete the side quest so you have more ammo to call Miranda, Jacob and The Illusive Man out with in ME2 about how much they all loving suck.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

All you get got doing the Cerberus missions is Shepard going "what about all those experiments?" and Miranda going "totally benign I swear, also it was a different cell and they just do their own thing."

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Garrus also goes ”yo do you, like, remember how hosed up Cerberus is” when you talk with him

It’s a nice and essential bit of story context for why everyone hates Cerberus (and why my Shepard vehemently denies working for Cerberus to anyone who’ll listen) but like most things in ME it doesn’t really affect anything in-game.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Simone Magus posted:

Going Renegade on Feros is hilarious because of how unnecessarily cruel it is

Even my Space Ultrafash didn't go for it. It makes no sense even from the Renegade point of view - you're Making The Tough Choices that Save Goddamn (human) Lives, it makes no sense to murder people when you *know* they can be saved with minimum effort and precious little risk.
Well, unless you're me and you always forget you can kill creepers fine because they don't count and you should save your grenades for the actual colonists who are not, in fact, creepers yet. loving bait and switch hangar, man. Ah well, there's always the trusty rifle butt...

bobjr posted:

She's a biotic wunderkind and they figure Shepard can keep their hand tight on her leash long enough for the rest not to matter (also TIM is probably betting she will die along with the whole squad on the other side of the Omega Relay, so no worries there)

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Q3z8dwZlo

Someone finally did it!

I'm surprised this mod didn't come out years ago (or get fixed in the legendary edition) with how much I've seen people talk about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So apparently I started ME 2 with over a million credits after importing

Can I just buy literally everything in the game no worries? I kinda like the idea of not having a favorite store on the Citadel this run.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Can I just buy literally everything in the game no worries? I kinda like the idea of not having a favorite store on the Citadel this run.

Yeah they changed the save import into ME2 so you now get 10% of your credits in ME1 to carry over.

Since hitting the money cap is trivial in ME1, you can easily walk into ME2 with a cool million.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah they changed the save import into ME2 so you now get 10% of your credits in ME1 to carry over.

Since hitting the money cap is trivial in ME1, you can easily walk into ME2 with a cool million.

Though you may spend that replacing fish if you aren't careful (though seriously, I feel so much better splurging at the Citadel gift shop early now).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Theotus posted:

He's also racist. And Canadian.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I got to ME3 and again, holy poo poo the quality of the gameplay above ME2 is loving massive. You move so much faster, have the ability to roll, and the guns feel so much better. Also I forgot about the heavy melee which is cool as hell.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

He's also racist. And Canadian.

Racist how?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Theotus posted:

Racist how?

Renegade Ashley can be made not racist, Paragon Kaidan can be made racist.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Does Overlord still only count as one mission for the end game count down in ME2? My usual approach was to do Legions loyalty quest then Overlord before the final mission.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Does Overlord still only count as one mission for the end game count down in ME2? My usual approach was to do Legions loyalty quest then Overlord before the final mission.

Since overlord doesn't kick you back to the bridge of the normandy, yes. The timer only starts once miranda goes all "Hey let's load everyone into the shuttle for this mission that you haven't selected yet."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Simone Magus posted:

Wait... was there always a geth assault rifle in ME1??? I swear I never found one before

It's always been there but it suuuucks because you can't mod it and in the remaster the windup rate of fire is significantly worse than the firing modes on other ARs. I just end up sticking it on the back of squad mates who don't actually use rifles purely because it looks pretty cool.

I was trying to be a completionist for my first playthrough on ME1 and oooof are these random planets rough after awhile. I think the most egregious so far is the system that's four random geth outpost planets in a row and your reward is...a fifth geth outpost! Thanks, devs!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

bobjr posted:

I think it's in 3 where you find either a recording or email that outs that the entire time TIM was buttering up Shepard by surrounding them with people they'd trust and make useful rather than typical Cerberus types. It's why the Normandy is loaded with previous allies and "I have nothing against aliens, I just care about humanity" types while Cerberus' mad scientists and racists are off elsewhere doing crimes

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

I think it's in 3 where you find either a recording or email that outs that the entire time TIM was buttering up Shepard by surrounding them with people they'd trust and make useful rather than typical Cerberus types. It's why the Normandy is loaded with previous allies and "I have nothing against aliens, I just care about humanity" types while Cerberus' mad scientists and racists are off elsewhere doing crimes

The only person who remotely gives away the game is Rupert Gardner. He comes across harmless when you talk to him because he’s so friendly and genial, but if you really listen to what he’s saying he’s actually pretty drat racist and holds a lingering grudge against aliens for what happened to his family, so it’s no surprise that he’s basically the only member of the SR-2 crew who goes back to Cerberus, no questions asked, between ME2 and ME3.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

Renegade Ashley can be made not racist, Paragon Kaidan can be made racist.

Guess I haven't seen it since I haven't played ME3 yet.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

drat the dudes who demanded planet scanning be a part of ME2! It’s better than trying to drive the mako straight up mountains and wishing you just had one more second of boost I guess.

Vanguard ME2 with full charge is really fun. I can just zip around knocking people over and shooting them with a shotgun. I was a bit worried I hosed my “build” up because I didn’t feel that powerful until level 7 or so.

The background views for Kasumis loyalty mission are really really good.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

nuketulsa posted:

drat the dudes who demanded planet scanning be a part of ME2! It’s better than trying to drive the mako straight up mountains and wishing you just had one more second of boost I guess.

Vanguard ME2 with full charge is really fun. I can just zip around knocking people over and shooting them with a shotgun. I was a bit worried I hosed my “build” up because I didn’t feel that powerful until level 7 or so.

The background views for Kasumis loyalty mission are really really good.

Vanguard is the only way to play ME2 imho. Tends to be a glass cannon (all of my deaths so far are entirely due to making a bad call on where to Charge) but just a ton of fun, especially when you bring along a biotic team member. Strip away shields/armor/barrier if necessary with Overload/Incinerate/Warp/bullets, then cast Singularity or Pull Field and Charge into the mass of writhing enemies, exploding the fuckers into the stratosphere. Excellent times. Becomes quite a bit harder on Insanity, though...

Kasumi’s mission is really great, unique bit of gameplay for the series too. Compare to something like Zaeed’s mission (which I just did) which is more or less just standard ME2 fare. Kasumi’s mission also has some fantastic music https://youtu.be/Q9lLd0rBwyQ

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 22, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SubponticatePoster posted:

:confused: Honestly ME3 MP had the least annoying lootbox system ever. Whatever difficulty you played on, completing a game guaranteed enough credits to buy a box of that level. If you were an impatient doofus you could pay money but I never did that. Also EA is probably going to avoid doing any new lootbox poo poo because of how bad they hosed up SWB and almost got sued by governments for gambling. Doubt a 10 year old system that has been running the entire time will raise any eyebrows.

I will scream if I have to remember how long it took me to get the loving N7 Valiant.

do you know how many N7 guns I never used I got??? SO MANY

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Is there an easy way to cheat myself a mountain of minerals for any subsequent ME2 runs? I've seen the scanning now. im over it

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No favorite stores, they all discriminate against the poor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So I can only take screenshots in Steam (or with Nvidia) if I disable HDR, which is kinda annoying. Photomode is cool but I was hoping to replace some of my older screenshots of favorite moments with prettier graphics, and having to drop the quality in order to be able to take the snaps feels like it is sorta defeating the purpose.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Man, the Firewalker missions really are made entirely out of rear end, aren't they ? And not good, firm Asari rear end either. Like, Krogan Husk rear end.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jerusalem posted:

So I can only take screenshots in Steam (or with Nvidia) if I disable HDR, which is kinda annoying. Photomode is cool but I was hoping to replace some of my older screenshots of favorite moments with prettier graphics, and having to drop the quality in order to be able to take the snaps feels like it is sorta defeating the purpose.

Does Win+PrtScr work (screenshots will be in your Screenshots folder in Pictures)? If it does, there are ways of setting up a macro so it only requires a single button press.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Does Win+PrtScr work (screenshots will be in your Screenshots folder in Pictures)? If it does, there are ways of setting up a macro so it only requires a single button press.

Oh I seriously didn't know that was a thing, I'll try it out. If it works, it basically solves all my problems. Thanks! :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

Man, the Firewalker missions really are made entirely out of rear end, aren't they ? And not good, firm Asari rear end either. Like, Krogan Husk rear end.

They bad

At least the thingy is nicer to control than the Mako

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

How do you take shots with Nvidia? It says the game doesn't support it when I try, even with no HDR.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
You know, when I first played ME2 way back when I instantly hated Miranda because "Ugh, bimbo" and "Ugh, loving devs treating me like I'm a horny 12 year old" ; but I'm really warming up to her in my old age. She's self-assured without being cocky, bit superior but not obnoxioulsy so, has a nicely dry sense of humour, and her ability to deal equally well with barriers, shields or armour is very welcome on Insanity. I kinda wish we could be ~*gal pals*~ now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

How do you take shots with Nvidia? It says the game doesn't support it when I try, even with no HDR.

I hadn't gotten so far to try that, when Steam didn't work I looked it up and saw people saying they had the same problem with both Steam and Nvidia not doing it but turning off HDR fixing it. I tried it with Steam that way and it worked but with the caveat the graphics didn't look quite as nice, and I assumed it would be the same with Nvidia too. I do know Origin and Nvidia both by default use the same shortcut command to bring up their overlays so that might be interfering with it if you can't get their overlay up?

The Win Print-Screen option, provided it works, seems like the best solution at the moment short of turning off HDR. I do wish I could just hit the screenshot button and have it just automatically work but any solution is better than none.