Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

I just rewatched it and I thingk she and Wong are the stand outs. Cumberbatch is fine but sort of just drifts through some scenes. Mads and Mcadams were thoroughly wasted.

This makes me wonder, what's the best talent that the MCU has just utterly wasted?
Obviously Mads is up there but you also have people like Eccleston who had next to no words and was just absolutely caked in makeup and Sam Rockwell who didn't even get the dignity of being killed before being sent to the memory hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Probably Mads because his role was so one dimensional

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sterling K Brown is a great actor who's only in BP for about 10 minutes. It's a good and important role and he brings a lot to it but it still would have been nice to see more of him, hopefully they use him in one of the Wakanda follow up projects

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Probably Mads because his role was so one dimensional

Ditto with Mads.

I mean, they still have a chance of bringing him back, fixing the character and making good use of the man's acting chops. But it's probably damned to be another forgotten MCU villain.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If Rockwell and Kingsley aren't in a post credit scene after Shang Chi we riot.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CapnAndy posted:

I actually don't understand this and don't agree, because it seems to me to lose sight of why they changed the Ancient One's race in the first place: Because otherwise you're running face-first into the Mighty Whitey trope where some other culture has been doing poo poo for thousands of years and then a white guy with zero experience shows up and is instantly the very best person ever at it. It's colonialist and racist as gently caress and Dr. Strange's origin is absolutely dripping with it. It's also why they changed Mordo's race and promoted Wong so that he outranked Strange (and seems to be second-in-command now).

I think the one possible counter argument here is that in the MCU specifically Doctor Strange kinda ISN’T the very best person at it. His Sorcerer Supreme-ness is still very much a work in progress and he is more the successor by virtue of ideology than by being a wunderkid.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Cumberbatch is a man who looks like an English accent given human form and there's no compelling reason to make him do his American voice if you're absolutely committed to him being in a movie. Dr Strange does not need to be American, he can be a selfish jerk from England and it doesn't change anything.

anyway, Rockwell was the best part of Iron Man 2 and they should bring him back.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t mind Cumberbatch’s American accent. It reminds me of Hugh Laurie’s House voice and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think the one possible counter argument here is that in the MCU specifically Doctor Strange kinda ISN’T the very best person at it. His Sorcerer Supreme-ness is still very much a work in progress and he is more the successor by virtue of ideology than by being a wunderkid.

The mention how he is a natural magician like 47 times in the film. Like how he's able to use the Eye with little effort once he figures out sling rings.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Laurie's a little better at it but they both hit weird inflections from time to time that make them sound like when somebody films a golden retriever sort of yelping "I love you." like their mouths were simply not designed for these noises to come out of them naturally.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Really don't see how having the ancient order who's HQ is in china run by a white lady is less colonialist. It's the exact same problem but one step removed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rhyno posted:

The mention how he is a natural magician like 47 times in the film. Like how he's able to use the Eye with little effort once he figures out sling rings.

Yeah. Which gets him in the game, but he spends the entire finale struggling against other wizards and achieves his win via social engineering rather than magical proficiency. Even by Avengers the Ancient One is still probably a better sorcerer than him.

He might step into his role fully in Multiverse of Madness but he kinda isn’t there yet.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

They're bringing Tim Roth back so I think there's no way Rockwell is gone forever. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the big bad in Ironheart.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Or Armor Wars

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

I want him to make some patriotic armor for Willem Dafoe, I want the two of them to have several scenes together, chatting

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think he'd really work as a Big Bad, he could be an amusing comedic sidekick type character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Karma Tornado posted:

I want him to make some patriotic armor for Willem Dafoe, I want the two of them to have several scenes together, chatting
So Norman Osborn Iron Patriot?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I forgot we had Rachel McAdams in an MCU movie which probably means we won't get her as somebody way more interesting later.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
A romantic lesbian drama between her and Rosario Dawson.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, I think this is it. In a lot of ways making the Ancient One a white woman, and then dressing her up like a Buddhist monk whipping energy constructs that look like fans around was a worst of both worlds decision.
This precisely. When Tilda Swinton was cast, the generous assumption was that they would completely revamp The Ancient One to be some sort of ethnically-ambiguous, esoteric wizard character. Instead they just yellowfaced the character. They kept all the stylistic trappings of Asian mysticism and just made her white. Of all the ways to solve the original problem, they might've picked the actual worst solution.

The other problem is that, in an effort to not offend the poor beleaguered Asians with the stereotype of a...wise and powerful mystic?...you ended up making it so that there are even less Asians in your story, congratulations. They had the inclination to swap characters' races here, and they could have done so in any number of ways -- Strange himself could have been Asian, for instance -- and yet when the cards fell, what we ended up with was the whitest man in the universe as the hero, his teacher also white instead of Asian, and the future bad guy turned black. It's...it's literally like you made the worst choices you could have made, representation-wise, at every step of the process.

Just as a reminder, the amount of Asian main characters in the MCU films at the time was zero. Right now, today specifically, it is still zero. If we include side characters in the mix we end up with...I think five. One of them (Hogun) is dead.

And when I tried to explain this back when these decisions were announced, some of the very same white posters right here right now spouting 2021 wokeness told me I was being racist against my own people. :buddy: So, Feige coming around on the matter now feels like a bit of vindication and it's definitely nice to see views can change over time, though it really also goes to show that people should probably have listened to PoC in the first place all along.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 20, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, I agree it's a bad decision and the lack of Asian main characters is still a problem. Still I think the Tilda Swinton decision, given that she was a side character there for one film, wouldn't have really affected the latter. As it is, at least we have Wong? I like Wong.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I find it courageous that Marvel made the decision to remove a racist Asian Stereotype and change the character to a non-binary person.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

Really don't see how having the ancient order who's HQ is in china run by a white lady is less colonialist. It's the exact same problem but one step removed.
One step forward is still progress.

They really should've leaned more into what I think they were going for with changing the Ancient One's race, which is that Kamar-Taj is where a collection of outcasts and weirdos from around the world all inevitably end up if they're the sort of personality who could learn magic, and Tibet is just where it happens to be. Hell, it doesn't have to really be in Tibet! How to portal-jump around the world is literally the first thing they learn, why is there one central location? It would even make sense, like yes, that outpost is in Tibet because Tibet is where dudes like Stephen Strange go when they're sufficiently desperate. There are rooms everywhere. We know for a fact that there's on in New York City, that Strange didn't actually have to go anywhere at all -- but he did, because the Strange who'd knock on the door in Bleecker Street isn't the Strange who's in a mental state ready to learn magic. But for the desperate immigrant who pulled every possible string and lied and cheated and stole just to get into the United States, and New York City specifically, and Manhattan specifically, because they were chasing a dream of an impossible opportunity? Bleecker Street would open for them, but they would've found nothing in Tibet.

"There's a door everywhere, it just doesn't open for anyone except someone who's ready" is... kinda a theme in the movie already!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Strange goes to Nepal in the MCU, not Tibet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dr. Strange couldn't be Asian because it's already established the greatest Asian surgeon in the MCU is that guy from the China cut of Iron Man 3 who's not in the international one. He's so good only he can heal Iron Man.

You don't mess with strong continuity like that.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 21, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

theironjef posted:

Strange goes to Nepal in the MCU, not Tibet.
Well, don't I feel loving stupid, then!

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

The Ancient One is suppose to be Tibetan. It's just that no major studio will do anything with Tibet because of China.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

CapnAndy posted:

It all seemed pretty Tibet coded to me but we're probably too influenced by the comics.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
who's voicing Proty though

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1395759224387510272

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Deadline is reporting that Henry Cavill is in talks for the twenty-years-in-development Highlander reboot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Henry Cavill really likes swords.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He would be a better Kurgan.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

What Scottish actor can they cast to play an Egyptian with a Spanish name?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Codependent Poster posted:

What Scottish actor can they cast to play an Egyptian with a Spanish name?

Ewan McGregor could pull it off. Plus, he has experience waving fancy swords around!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rhyno posted:

Deadline is reporting that Henry Cavill is in talks for the twenty-years-in-development Highlander reboot.

I am assuming that it's as a TV series?

The story of Highlander is too rich and evocative to be just a single film. Even if the 90's series went off the rail, you'd want the film as either a Trilogy or a 2-3 season prestige series.

That also reminds me that I need to watch the first Highlander film before my Netflix accounts lapses.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Question IRL posted:

That also reminds me that I need to watch the first Highlander film before my Netflix accounts lapses.

I loved Highlander but I made the mistake of rewatching it and man, the fight scenes... are bad

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

The Question IRL posted:

I am assuming that it's as a TV series?

The story of Highlander is too rich and evocative to be just a single film. Even if the 90's series went off the rail, you'd want the film as either a Trilogy or a 2-3 season prestige series.

As someone who has seen all the Highlander films, though...there really should've been only one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Highlander 2 fuckin rules.

The fifth one is such a colossal piece of poo poo.

Yeah, there's FIVE.

Edit: Cavill has confirmed he is doing the film.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 22, 2021

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I've only ever seen the first Highlander, and always thought that it's a great concept with flawed execution. So it's a good candidate for a remake. I don't like that the remake will have 100% less Queen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lots of Queen covers.