Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If you want to know if you're doing your ear plugs right just go shooting and you'll figure it out pretty quick.

*edit*
Also, tinnitus sucks and me and my friends who have it only got religious about plugs after developing tinnitus. Buck the trend and start wearing them before you get hearing damage.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lmao the first time I took my 308 out to the range and thought my electronic earmuffs would be enough.

The ringing didn’t stop for six or seven hours and I immediately decided I never wanted to risk tinnitus again.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guns seem like so much fun :sigh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They are but you have to be very careful not to become a gun weirdo and start fetishizing them and making up fake reasons in your head for why you need one always

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rode out to the country on my WR with a 22 strapped to my back last weekend to shoot at steel targets. Good fun. Totally legal :911:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They are but you have to be very careful not to become a gun weirdo and start fetishizing them and making up fake reasons in your head for why you need one always

Yeah this. You don't need to always have a gun on you for the lottery-like chance you'll actually need it. People who every day carry are looking for reasons to use it. I have a concealed carry license, I've never carried once.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Tinnitus is one of those things I didn't realize I even had until I learned what it was much later. I've just always had some ringing in my ears, especially when it's dead quiet. I really should have taken better care of my ears as a youth but like a lot of things we think we're invincible. Years of guitar/drums/loud music really took their toll but thankfully I don't have any hearing loss, yet anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Verman posted:

Tinnitus is one of those things I didn't realize I even had until I learned what it was much later. I've just always had some ringing in my ears, especially when it's dead quiet. I really should have taken better care of my ears as a youth but like a lot of things we think we're invincible. Years of guitar/drums/loud music really took their toll but thankfully I don't have any hearing loss, yet anyway.

Between having two separate surgeries to get ear tubes installed and spending every spare moment of my life from 7 years old onwards riding two stroke dirt bikes with zero ear protection, I too did not discover till later in life that not everyone has constant loud ringing in their ears.

Since I’ve had it basically all my life though, it doesn’t really bother me. To me, it’s sort of like breathing, you never notice that it’s happening until you think about it then you just forget about it again.

I really feel bad for people who get it later in life and I totally get how it drives people insane if they aren’t used to it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I watch a LOT of forgotten weapons videos and the parallels between military firearms and race bikes are spooky:
- the opposed forces of technology and innovation vs technique, tradition and real life
- the tension between performance and reliability
- the persistence of seemingly horribly outdated poo poo that somehow refuses to be improved on and the endless train of revolutionary boondoggles that don't help anything
- the fact that solid philosophy and ease of use always trump outright performance
- the various design epochs with their own distinct trends and style

Also the general sense that it's something both fun and dangerous that is largely ruined by absolute muppets who don't know what they're doing/shouldn't be allowed to have them.

The late 19th/early 20th century era are the most interesting guns by far to me, I don't think I'm gonna be open carrying my home defense first amendment don't tread on me tactilol glock because I'd rather spend hours cleaning a lebel and inspecting proof marks and poo poo. Basically I want one really badly because they're a cool and lovely *thing*, the shooty part is secondary.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Guns seem like so much fun :sigh:

Even with the 2019 changes, they’re not unobtanium in NZ (or even nogun UK). You need to join a club.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I got tinnitus anyway and I've always been very protective of my ears :( But I don't believe I have hearing loss and can still hear pretty high in the hz range for an adult.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Also the general sense that it's something both fun and dangerous that is largely ruined by absolute muppets who don't know what they're doing/shouldn't be allowed to have them.

Yeah, but motorcycles, at least the ones that aren't the Suzuki TL, aren't designed with the express purpose of killing things. Guns can be fun, I own a couple of them, but I could honestly make do with being a member of a club or renting from the local target range. Gun "culture" here in the US has been off the deep end for a long loving time.

Back to motorcycle chat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

Back to motorcycle chat.

Because

Jazzzzz posted:

Gun "culture" here in the US has been off the deep end for a long loving time.

And also because TFR exists

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s me.

I’m the guy who confusedly mutters “oh come on what the gently caress is wrong with my bike???” at the lack of power as he slooowly pulls away from a stop sign in 3rd gear because he neglected to shift down.

I swear I shift down instead of coasting to a stop on the reg; Not sure what happened there >:|

Anyway, don’t be me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Back to motorcycle chat.

Ok!

Martytoof posted:

It’s me.

I’m the guy who confusedly mutters “oh come on what the gently caress is wrong with my bike???” at the lack of power as he slooowly pulls away from a stop sign in 3rd gear because he neglected to shift down.

I swear I shift down instead of coasting to a stop on the reg; Not sure what happened there

Anyway, don’t be me.

My friend can I interest you in a royal enfield with an upside down right hand shift? They don't have a shift drum and therefore have the possibility of non-sequential shifting. Unfortunately the same thing that makes this possible also makes the gearbox complete and utter garbage. But not too worry! Enfield quickly realized that if you need to stop in a hurry you have no chance of getting down to first gear and will end up in your situation, so they put a tiny foot lever next to the shifter. You stamp on that and it bypasses the sequential lockout and you can just go straight from fourth to first at a standstill. This ingenious device works perfectly at least a quarter of the time!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
How to feel that you have mastered this motorcycle thing:
Unexpectedly being in 2nd from a stand still and clutch modulate it out with zero hassle.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
My neighbour got his first bike today and I got to take him out on his first ride around the neighbourhood. I’m still a new rider but it was nice to help a baby duckling hatch into the world. But seeing his bike makes me start to rapidly obsess over the N+1 bike ownership formula.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

My friend can I interest you in a royal enfield with an upside down right hand shift? They don't have a shift drum and therefore have the possibility of non-sequential shifting. Unfortunately the same thing that makes this possible also makes the gearbox complete and utter garbage. But not too worry! Enfield quickly realized that if you need to stop in a hurry you have no chance of getting down to first gear and will end up in your situation, so they put a tiny foot lever next to the shifter. You stamp on that and it bypasses the sequential lockout and you can just go straight from fourth to first at a standstill. This ingenious device works perfectly at least a quarter of the time!

I could probably ride 90% of my ride never leaving 2nd gear either way :q:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

speaking as a gun lover; motorcycles are cooler :D

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hi everyone. i hope ur having a good day. i hope this is the right thread for this. i looked and i think it was. but im noob so...

im thinking about buying something. im thinking about buying this:

https://cscmotorcycles.com/city-slicker-black/

i will use it for:

- riding to the gym. 1.7 miles (lol)

- im really stupid so im going back to school. im going to csula. here is basically the route im thinking of taking, assuming in-person comes back (bad) but possible. ima start myself at the park which is near but not too near. to keep my many stalkers and lovers at bay:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gri...698!2m1!1b1!3e0

this route avoids freeways since this thing can only go 55. and also it seems more scenic and kinda pleasant.

this thing says it has the range of 20-50 miles, which reckon depends on how hard ur hammering it and also how insanely fat you are or maybe if you're carrying a boulder.

im a manlet weighing in at 5'10" 160lbs so i dont think it will be comically small. but still maybe a little small which is good because i live in an apartment with a challenging parking situation but understanding and friendly neighbors.

other uses will be stupid errands around town.

is this a really bad idea? before i was thinking of buying a kymco scooter which is cheaper and has way longer range but also isnt as cool nor is it a meme. cool and meme factor is very important to me.

charging it looks like a pain in the rear end to remove the battery and schlep it inside, but i steal electricity from the laundry room already so i think this will be alright.

very grateful for any feedback. thank you cycle asylum goons. :tipshat:

e: i walk to work so no big there

Smythe fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 22, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

You ever ridden a motorcycle before?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

You ever ridden a motorcycle before?

no but i have crashed a lot of lime scooters

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Smythe posted:

If you want to ride a motorcycle, you should do it properly with the right training and gear. Those are integrated costs and you'll discover that motorcycles aren't THAT practical day to day.

If you want to ride a motorcycle because the idea of riding gives you enjoyment and coincidentally go somewhere you need to be then maybe look at a bike.

If you aren't specifically married to the idea of a motorcycle and want an electric meme machine to get around, get an electric scooter or hell even an electric unicycle (or maybe not, given your propensity for crashes) or E bike. Scooters and EUCs in particular can be wheeled places a motorcycle can't go (shopping centres, offices etc) and depending on your state, don't attract registration/insurance like a motorcycle does.

Edit:

Specific to the bike you mentioned; I haven't heard anything about electric motorcycles in that price range (either good or bad). I'd be inclined to go with a Grom or whatever the Kawasaki equivalent is if you're seeking novelty value simply to avoid the gamble on a brand/build I know nothing about.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 22, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

If you want to ride a motorcycle, you should do it properly with the right training and gear. Those are integrated costs and you'll discover that motorcycles aren't THAT practical day to day.

If you want to ride a motorcycle because the idea of riding gives you enjoyment and coincidentally go somewhere you need to be then maybe look at a bike.

If you aren't specifically married to the idea of a motorcycle and want an electric meme machine to get around, get an electric scooter or hell even an electric unicycle (or maybe not, given your propensity for crashes) or E bike. Scooters and EUCs in particular can be wheeled places a motorcycle can't go (shopping centres, offices etc) and depending on your state, don't attract registration/insurance like a motorcycle does.

Edit:

Specific to the bike you mentioned; I haven't heard anything about electric motorcycles in that price range (either good or bad). I'd be inclined to go with a Grom or whatever the Kawasaki equivalent is if you're seeking novelty value simply to avoid the gamble on a brand/build I know nothing about.

based advice thank you

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you're able bodied, a bicycle would be perfect for what you're looking to do imo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

If you're able bodied, a bicycle would be perfect for what you're looking to do imo.

less exciting but more practical indeed. i understand fully. probably for the best really. for your health!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If you're in LA, then I'd recommend getting an actual motorcycle instead of that electric mini bike.

Take the MSF/BRC first

https://motorcyclesafetyca.com

If you don't like it then yeah get a bicycle.

Prices are bad right now but if you shop around you should be able to find something good (enough) for 3k or less.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/mca?purveyor-input=all&max_price=3000&max_engine_displacement_cc=400&motorcycle_street_legal=1

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

https://www.redfoxpowersports.com/boom-125cc-motorcycle-type-125-10-with-12-inch-wheels

There's a few Chinese Honda Grom knockoffs for cheaper with similar capabilities. Still a motorcycle. Take the extra money you save and spend it on training, licensing, and some gear. Go for it!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Toe Rag posted:

Take the MSF/BRC first

Always my advice for anyone who is unsure about riding. Worst case scenario is you're out the money and you fail the test. Maybe you decide you don't like riding. Maybe you pass and get a permanent M on your license but decide it's not for you anyway. In any case figure this out on their equipment with instructors around. If nothing else there's always a decent chance you'll get to see a fat guy in tattoos dump a DR200 in a parking lot.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gorson posted:

Always my advice for anyone who is unsure about riding. Worst case scenario is you're out the money and you fail the test. Maybe you decide you don't like riding. Maybe you pass and get a permanent M on your license but decide it's not for you anyway. In any case figure this out on their equipment with instructors around. If nothing else there's always a decent chance you'll get to see a fat guy in tattoos dump a DR200 in a parking lot.

Hipster on a virago 250 fail the boxed figure 8 in my case, but yeah.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Smythe posted:

Lol me too

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I’d recommend getting a bicycle or electric bicycle for now.

Look at motorcycles when you aren’t a student and have proper full time income coming in, gear and the bikes themselves get expensive fast.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I don't understand all the discouragement, I got into motorcycles as a hobby, but I have found it to be one of the most convenient and cheap forms of commuting. Good gear doesn't have to be expensive, it's just not gonna be the fanciest stuff.

However, having looked at electric bikes, tats a different story entirely, cost is a lot higher and not worth it other than as a toy. IMO

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’m only suggesting a bicycle if you do the training class and decide you don’t like it. I 100% support getting a bike. OP has a car I am sure so a bike could be an opportunity to save both time and money, as well as discover a new hobby. There’s lots of easy access to good riding in the LA area.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
motorcycle ownership in california makes a two-hour deathcrawl from east LA to the beach into a hair-raising half-hour lanesplit

it makes crossing san francisco a 15 minute trip instead of 45 minutes.

it makes you spend every waking moment monday through friday staring at google maps looking at mountain passes that the blessed saints working as 1960s Caltrans engineers laced with cambered sweeping corners

buy a motorcycle

from a brand you heard of

ideally one that also makes cars, musical instruments, or jet fighters

used but still kinda shiny

that burns gasoline

-------------

re: earplug chat

were you not rolling them compact before sticking them in your ears?

how!?

the instructions are right there on the back

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Smythe posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gri...698!2m1!1b1!3e0

this route avoids freeways since this thing can only go 55. and also it seems more scenic and kinda pleasant.

tbh since Riverside functions as an alternate route to the 5, I'd feel more comfortable on a proper bike that can go normal speeds than I would on a bicycle or slow ebike. The MSF class is a cheap and fun way to see if you want a bike (you do). If my bike didn't just get totaled I'd meet you in a parking lot for the time-honored tradition of having someone interested in bikes do circles in a parking lot to convince them the MSF class is worth it, as I live 10 mins away.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Getting a bike is genuinely the best material thing i ever did in my entire life.
Go take some courses and see if you like it.

Gear can be relatively affordable. LS2 makes decent but cheap helmets that start around €100 new, suits can safely be bought 2nd hand as long as you check out the protection and stitching, new gloves can be had for around 50 bux, and underneath you can wear some cheap lycra running gear. The cost of boots varies wildly but i started out with some heavy leather army boots that i got 2nd hand for not too much money.

IDK how the 2nd hand market is at your place, but i managed to snag one free 2pc leather suit and one for €50 from a biker forum. Both were around 15 years old but still just fine for me when i started riding, until i decided that ohfuck this is awesome and i dumped a lot more money into a new suit.

The main issue right now is the ridiculous 2nd hand market. Before c19 i could get an old Yamaha XT600 brapmobile for between €1000 and €2000, today they're exclusively above €2000.
There is normally enough to find for about one monthly wage that maybe isn't the prettiest bike but will run fine, as long as it's japanese.

If you aren't opposed to wrenching yourself and don't have to rely on the bike, you can consider the bottom range of 'monthly wage'. But fixing up a non-running bike is generally a bad plan, it rarely is cheaper than buying something that runs well right away.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 22, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

Getting a bike is genuinely the best material thing i ever did in my entire life.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

LimaBiker posted:

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Well my bike finally got here today. I’ve only spent 45 minutes or so before I came back home to eat. I’m going to hop back on it after dinner. I must say I’m having the time of my life on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LimaBiker posted:

Absolutely same. I know I post this a lot, but I am 31 years older than i was in this picture and I’m still as stoked to ride today as I was then