Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

a teams chat came in

quote:

please take a look at [tf repo] and revert me an advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Obviously time to go undo whatever they did. :v:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Looks like enough justification to expense lunch at a Chinese place to get a fortune cookie for the necessary advice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Looks like enough justification to expense lunch at a Chinese place to get a fortune cookie for the necessary advice.

Solution; Fortune cookie deployed to user's desk. Awaiting confirmation of resolution before closing ticket.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Someone today tried to print a 2.2GB 3,667 page document. Of course, since that ran the printer out of paper, everyone else tried to print their jobs multiple times too. FFS.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kensei posted:

Someone today tried to print a 2.2GB 3,667 page document. Of course, since that ran the printer out of paper, everyone else tried to print their jobs multiple times too. FFS.

Is that too big?

Did they then try to scan it in and fax it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why is there not such a thing as a "you are trying to print a document that will require more paper than there are trees in the world to create, are you sure? y/n" dialog

Oh yeah, because printers are the ninth pocket of the tech malebolge

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I worked on some industrial printers that did about 1000 pages per minute, and that would still take too long. It must have taken an age to RIP before it even started printing.

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

kensei posted:

Probably showing my outdated printer knowledge here, wouldn't the printer job crash everything it touched before anything printed?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

kensei posted:

"This isn't printing for me, can you try it?" *Attaches document to email*

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Knormal posted:

"This isn't printing for me, can you try it?" *Attaches document to email*

Hmm I'm not sure if it got sent correctly you can you send it like a dozen more times or so?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Hang on, it was set to the wrong paper format and orientation, I'll change it and try again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

kensei posted:

When did this person think they were going to have the time to actually read this document

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fil5000 posted:

When did this person think they were going to have the time to actually read this document

Its a sales pamphlet

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

It was an entire year of renewal contracts. The printer is of course leased, pay per page. I let the onsite admin know and she sighed deeply and told me she would let the users know that was not okay. Again.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

me reviewing the 3,667 pages of renewal contracts i just printed out

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
We're currently using keepass as a password manager but we're kinda hitting the limits with it. Preferable, we'd like something that we can use as team and is in the cloud rather than local. Also, free. Any suggestions?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I used 1password for teams at my last job and it worked quite well

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Edit: ^^ 1Password is no longer free. $3/month for individual, $7/month per user for business.

Are you a Microsoft Shop in Azure? Azure Key Vault is clunky but could do this. Similarly maybe the AWS/GCP Equivalent. It's not exactly free free but the price is so negligible it doesn't matter. Something like $.03/transaction.

SaaS and Free do not go together, if you're not going to get this feature bundled with another product, you're going to pay for it.

The Business PAM I really like is Thycotic's secret server. Their pricing is not ridiculous, and I hear the cloud solution is good. If you can stand it up internally, you can use it for 10 peeps and 250 secrets for free.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 26, 2021

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

sixth and maimed posted:

We're currently using keepass as a password manager but we're kinda hitting the limits with it. Preferable, we'd like something that we can use as team and is in the cloud rather than local. Also, free. Any suggestions?

Build your own service with a cloud keystore (don't do this) or pay for a teams license are really your only option here. I highly recommend getting together the cash, which for a small team probably won't exceed a few thousand/year.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

As much as I love keepass using a shared vault sounds like a nightmare.

I'm going to suggest CyberArk(do not listen to me)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’ve never used it, but bitwarden comes up a lot in the infosec thread

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Credential management and the ability to revoke access from team members seems like a thing worth paying for

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

Credential management and the ability to revoke access from team members seems like a thing worth paying for

The main thing I feel is worth paying for is automated credential rotation. I know too many people who copy passwords into their personal keepass vault because its easier and more reliable than the company one(thats gonna gonna get yet another incomplete migration to yet another new vault in a couple years) and thats the easiest way to fix that

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm the last man standing in Azure for my company. We just started interviewing consultants to parachute in for 3 months and actually do stuff. Had to pass on this one guy that I'd love to work with, mostly because he's where I was 3 years ago. Trying to leverage a lot of on-prem experience, knowledge, etc. into cloud. He had so much stuff that would have trained in well, but they're deffo not converting this role to perm and as such we can't train him into Azure.

I really wish we could do better at mentoring people.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

An email came in.

Customer wants to disable the lock screen on 7 org-owned iPads issued to field staff, because they lock after 2 minutes of inactivity and it takes "a few" minutes every time for the field staff to unlock the iPads.

This is a training issue, not a tech issue. How is it THAT difficult to touch the screen in a memorized sequence of numbers?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Do they wear gloves?

I could see that being problematic

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sixth and maimed posted:

What are the limits?

I have a small team and we've had no problems using Keepass. We've got the vault sitting in a Sharepoint site and we sync that locally to our computers with OneDrive. We haven't run into any desyncs as a result.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

dragonshardz posted:

An email came in.

Customer wants to disable the lock screen on 7 org-owned iPads issued to field staff, because they lock after 2 minutes of inactivity and it takes "a few" minutes every time for the field staff to unlock the iPads.

This is a training issue, not a tech issue. How is it THAT difficult to touch the screen in a memorized sequence of numbers?

I think you overestimate just how dumb people can be when it gets them a few minutes to suck down half a cig

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

sixth and maimed posted:

Bitwarden
Bitwarden
Bitwarden
Bitwarden
Bitwarden
Bitwarden
Bitwarden

Use Bitwarden. Also pay for it you cheap bastard. It holds your org credentials.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 27, 2021

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Bitwarden over 1Password if only because it has SSO out of the box.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Fool posted:

Do they wear gloves?

I could see that being problematic

Buy touch-enabled gloves with your office supplies budget. Problem solved.

RFC2324 posted:

I think you overestimate just how dumb people can be when it gets them a few minutes to suck down half a cig

Again, training issue. Also policy is to not disable the lock screen immediately requiring a passcode, so, uh, yeah, teach your grunts to memorize their passcodes. Ugh.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

sixth and maimed posted:

We've been liking Hudu quite a bit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Iron Rose posted:

Build your own service with a cloud keystore (don't do this) or pay for a teams license are really your only option here. I highly recommend getting together the cash, which for a small team probably won't exceed a few thousand/year.
Place I started in yesterday is in the process of doing this. For shared accounts...

I have just turned my brain off. It is not my problem, and nobody will thank me for pointing it out. Their security team "doesn't like VPNs" so they just manually whitelist people's home IP address and let that fire VMware Horizon connections directly into their servers :smithicide:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Arquinsiel posted:

Place I started in yesterday is in the process of doing this. For shared accounts...

I have just turned my brain off. It is not my problem, and nobody will thank me for pointing it out. Their security team "doesn't like VPNs" so they just manually whitelist people's home IP address and let that fire VMware Horizon connections directly into their servers :smithicide:

What the gently caress

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

...run? Maybe?

That's a major 0wn just waiting in the wings, warming its tonsils.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

MustardFacial posted:

Bitwarden
Bitwarden
Bitwarden
Bitwarden
Bitwarden
Bitwarden
Bitwarden

Use Bitwarden. Also pay for it you cheap bastard. It holds your org credentials.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Bitwarden over 1Password if only because it has SSO out of the box.

Mustache Ride posted:

Edit: ^^ 1Password is no longer free. $3/month for individual, $7/month per user for business.

The Business PAM I really like is Thycotic's secret server. Their pricing is not ridiculous, and I hear the cloud solution is good. If you can stand it up internally, you can use it for 10 peeps and 250 secrets for free.

uPen posted:

We've been liking Hudu quite a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into all of these.

Personally, I really don't mind paying for a service. However, management sees that differently and I have to build a case for every cent spent. We wanted to buy 2 snagit licenses for screen recording for $100 after reviewing several free tools and the user saying it didn't work as good. In the meanwhile, we have spent way more in hours than the cost of the licences. They still want me to look at "free" alternatives. Also, we're not a SME; we're a multinational.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
(double post, nvm)

sixth and maimed fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

dragonshardz posted:

...run? Maybe?

That's a major 0wn just waiting in the wings, warming its tonsils.

I'm here for three months and even though they are talking big about moving to a permanent position the work is painfully boring.

Also it's fine, I could login from home today without needing whitelisting :negative: