Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Whenever someone asks me how I’m doing while I’m in the middle of some frustrating and pointless task I always say I’m “rockin’ it like Sisyphus” which is something I think I picked up from a Clutch song ages ago.

Sisyphus, syphilis, close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
existing is pretty cool, ngl - though it's kinda sad at times as well. overall i rate existing at around 7.5 out of 10 at the moment, which is fairly neat

however, circumstances are different for each and every person, and stuff like chronic pain and disease and being a civilian in a war zone and so on can drastically reduce the quailty of one's existense. so i'd never dunk on anyone for being nihilistic or generally not being satisfied with the quality of their existance, especially if the factors contributing to that dissatisfaction are outside of their control

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Manager Hoyden posted:

The goon style of self deprecating humor is a thinly veiled cry for help. They are secretly hoping someone dms them and tell them they're special and everything's gonna be okay.

You mean you don't have that happen?

Also, the idea that "life has meaning it's just that I can't find it" is one that hits a lot of folks.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think life has meaning (sometimes it's what we bring to the party, sometimes it's the party that's already started without us), but that meaning is not necessarily always a comfort.

Still, an abundance of troubles and pain aside, life's pretty okay at times and I'd like to continue it for a while yet.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Life definitely has meaning. Reproduction. The survival of your species and domination and complete use of all the resources of the planet you live on in hopes to be advanced enough to move on and consume the next in a bid to populate the whole galaxy before the heat death of the universe.

That's it.

Organic life was a mistake.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Guyver posted:

Life definitely has meaning. Reproduction. The survival of your species and domination and complete use of all the resources of the planet you live on in hopes to be advanced enough to move on and consume the next in a bid to populate the whole galaxy before the heat death of the universe.

That's it.

Organic life was a mistake.

If the first bit is true the last sentence is stupid 'humanity is the virus!!!' edgelord posting. If there's no purpose, then it's no more a mistake for organic life to use the resources than it is for a black hole or a supernova or whatever to do so.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Obviously silicon based life would do a better job of it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Organic life is pretty awesome actually

A bunch of stupid rocks never made red dead redemption or huffy bikes

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

That took what 3.5 billion years. I'd bet the rocky bois could get a rdr out in two.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If rocks are so smart why haven't they evolved into monkeys yet? Checkmate atheists

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Living things can't be made out of silicon. Silicon is a metal. How would that even work?! What would be their blood? Sand? gently caress on outta here with this nonsense!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

????

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Holding a "not my ancestor" sign but it has a picture of a rock

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Rocks go to hell

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

docbeard posted:

I think life has meaning (sometimes it's what we bring to the party, sometimes it's the party that's already started without us), but that meaning is not necessarily always a comfort.

Still, an abundance of troubles and pain aside, life's pretty okay at times and I'd like to continue it for a while yet.

I would disagree on two points. I believe the old line that "whoever has found a why to live can bear almost any how" holds true in a lot of instances.

And I'd say that life, and the world in general, just is. The problem being that that isn't good enough. Things should be better than how they are and instead of accepting it there should be some way of making the world better every day in some manner. It's just that knowing what that is or how it works is tricky for everyone.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The zune remains a better music player than anything I own. Why drain my phone battery by playing music when i can just fire up the ol' reliable zune. It has a nicer UI too.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

I would disagree on two points. I believe the old line that "whoever has found a why to live can bear almost any how" holds true in a lot of instances.

And I'd say that life, and the world in general, just is. The problem being that that isn't good enough. Things should be better than how they are and instead of accepting it there should be some way of making the world better every day in some manner. It's just that knowing what that is or how it works is tricky for everyone.

While I agree we should make life better for everybody I wonder in your specific case, Bugman, how much of your specific “the world isn’t good enough” world view is created by depression

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Life, humanity, etc. is pretty terrible, on like a philosophical level. Bunch of carbon accidents competing on who can kill the world first.

However once you accept that life is suffering, and probably not real either, on some days you can enjoy it.

*as I am now, woken up after eating rear end and getting drunk, posting on SA and drinking some more

doverhog has a new favorite as of 03:18 on May 22, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sansa Clip + rockbox was the absolute GOAT of MP3 players. Tiny, battery lasted forever, and as tough as a gameboy. I miss that fucker so much

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

While I agree we should make life better for everybody I wonder in your specific case, Bugman, how much of your specific “the world isn’t good enough” world view is created by depression

Eh, the belief that there is something fundamentally wrong with the way things are is not limited to just depressive folks. Otherwise every social movement could be described as resulting from mental health.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The zune remains a better music player than anything I own. Why drain my phone battery by playing music when i can just fire up the ol' reliable zune. It has a nicer UI too.

My brother has one, he's the only one I know who ever did, and it still works fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Did he ever squirt anyone with it?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

Eh, the belief that there is something fundamentally wrong with the way things are is not limited to just depressive folks. Otherwise every social movement could be described as resulting from mental health.

I guess it’s a matter of how you express it. Your posts remind me a lot of when I’m in a major depressive phase

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It really depends on if by “the way things are” you mean “the way society is organized” or “the way existence works/conscious life/etc”

Successful social movements get there by an innate love of and hope for life, not from NOTHING MATTERS FACE TO BLOODSHED

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It really depends on what you mean by “success”.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Guyver posted:

That took what 3.5 billion years. I'd bet the rocky bois could get a rdr out in two.

If they want to really impress me, they could make an RDR that was fun.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It really depends on if by “the way things are” you mean “the way society is organized” or “the way existence works/conscious life/etc”

It can be a bit of both. The idea that societal structures being changed can change the way we think about the world. I do think that existence itself can/will eventually need to be subjected to the same critique. The fact that we have such difficulty with "knowing" things is a big one, plus the fundamental separateness of people from each other.

Platystemon posted:

This is also a fair point.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

Call the Bolshevik Revolution resulting in Stalin a success if you want, it wasn’t born out of a nihilistic goon worldview that existence is misery.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I had a Zune HD. Still the best gadget I ever bought. Ipods were garbage in comparison, but marketing > all. They discontinued it all in favour of Windows phone lmfao. Although in fairness, MP3 players were p much doomed.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I had a "translator" with a black and white screen and bunch of phrases for all the languages of Europe. It was lost somewhere after the company went bankrupt, parents divorced, and never traveled to any of those countries until much later. :shrug:

Maybe rock based life would have done better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

a movie's runtime should be prominently displayed on the cover

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Robobot posted:

Living things can't be made out of silicon. Silicon is a metal. How would that even work?! What would be their blood? Sand? gently caress on outta here with this nonsense!

Silicon is very much not a metal, like it’s literally one space down from carbon on the periodic table and nowhere near the left at all. God dammit. It’s got 4 unpaired valence electrons just like carbon does!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Nice try chief, but take a look at this:

That's metal. If it's shiny and hard it's metal... unless it's some kind of wood, obviously, but silicon is definitely not wood and I will die on that hill.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Robobot posted:

That's metal. If it's shiny and hard it's metal... unless it's some kind of wood, obviously, but silicon is definitely not wood and I will die on that hill.

Pull that poo poo into a wire or have it conduct electricity. Ain’t happening. :colbert:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pull that poo poo into a wire or have it conduct electricity. Ain’t happening. :colbert:

https://techiescientist.com/does-silicon-conduct-electricity/

quote:

Yes, Silicon conducts electricity

It’s actually a metalloid!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Silicon is very much not a metal, like it’s literally one space down from carbon on the periodic table and nowhere near the left at all. God dammit. It’s got 4 unpaired valence electrons just like carbon does!

Any element heavier than helium is a metal. Ask any astronomer.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Robobot posted:

It looks delicious.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Car Guys are worse than Gun Guys.

In an ideal world, gun hobbies can be practiced with complete safety. In an ideal world, there will be 0 cars and the only reason to ever use one is to get from A to B in your nerdy little fuel efficient liberalmobile. Cars and their industry are actively destroying the planet for everyone by existing. Their widespread use encourages gentrification and further contributes to societal and climate problems. Also cars kill more people violently than guns by an order of magnitude.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Successful social movements get there by an innate love of and hope for life, not from NOTHING MATTERS FACE TO BLOODSHED

The key difference is here is “the world is fundamentally broken and there’s nothing we can do about it” vs “The world is fundamentally broken, let’s fix it”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Not really understanding why goons start from the premise that the world sucks but okay