Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm always fascinated watching the order book and live pricing on Coinbase. At this moment (which won't help goons reading 5 minutes from now), the price is $30 above $35k and there is theoretically 315 BTC or $10 million worth of buyers right at the $35k price point, which should present quite the challenge to dropping below that point. I am predicting that the wall will fall instantly once the price hits that point though.

Update: It lasted 15 seconds

Oh, are we back to ghost walls? I see coinbase learned from the masters at MtGox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
I just find it hilarious that one guy can pretty much disrupt an entire industry by shitposting.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

pofcorn posted:

I just find it hilarious that one guy can pretty much disrupt an entire industry by shitposting.

Elon Musk is Donald Trump except for millenials. He's a dangerous moron and we better hope the domestic birth requirement for presidency continues to exist.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

“industry”

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

pofcorn posted:

its a fake industry that produces nothing but carbon dioxide

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

punishedkissinger posted:

its a fake industry that produces nothing but carbon dioxide

How dare you sir!

... it also prodces cat-hair covered dried strawberries.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Liquid Communism posted:

... it also prodces cat-hair covered dried strawberries.

Brain damage, shattered marriages, and lost life savings optional but highly recommended.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

kw0134 posted:

The Bruce "Pattaya is a perfectly reasonable place to have a buttcoin conference" Wagner saga should never die.

how is the pedoguy doing

lmao elon called a guy who rescued thai kids a pedo and then got into crypto

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

xtal posted:

The best time to buy is never.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've wondered if legally declaring Bitcoin to be gambling might be a way to regulate it (possibly out of existence). I just did a quick search, and it struck me that counting crypto as gambling could possibly unintentionally make it more friendly for cryptocultists, as there are apparently a bunch of rules for how to declare gambling wins and losses. And if you are considered a professional gambler then normal income tax applies.

I guess it's probably better to declare the whole thing a giant decentralized securities fraud and just be done with it entirely.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Reminder: the bitcoin market is heavily manipulated and full of rubes behaving irrationally. it is certain to crash spectacularly at some point, but it is impossible to say when that will happen. it could be this week, it could be next year. due to this unpredictability, placing bets that it will crash in a given time frame is very nearly as risky as betting that it will go up in the same time frame, so don't

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've wondered if legally declaring Bitcoin to be gambling might be a way to regulate it (possibly out of existence). I just did a quick search, and it struck me that counting crypto as gambling could possibly unintentionally make it more friendly for cryptocultists, as there are apparently a bunch of rules for how to declare gambling wins and losses. And if you are considered a professional gambler then normal income tax applies.

I guess it's probably better to declare the whole thing a giant decentralized securities fraud and just be done with it entirely.

That's interesting - in UK tax law there's basically no such thing as a "professional" gambler, which means wins aren't taxable (but also losses aren't deductable).

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I'm guessing a professional gambler is someone participating in Poker tourneys?

I mean I like the idea of some dude sitting at a slot machine 9 to 5.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

busalover posted:

I'm guessing a professional gambler is someone participating in Poker tourneys?

I mean I like the idea of some dude sitting at a slot machine 9 to 5.

horse races are very very big over here, i'd guess that way before poker. also just a pretty significant speculative bet market, you're always seeing bookies put up their rates for x candidate winning the election, poo poo like that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Party Boat posted:

That's interesting - in UK tax law there's basically no such thing as a "professional" gambler, which means wins aren't taxable (but also losses aren't deductable).

what a libertarian haven that UK

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Alan Smithee posted:

what a libertarian haven that UK

no, aristo haven. old boys going to the ponies and making/losing a fortune is so ingrained that of course the tax incentive structure is built around it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CoolCab posted:

no, aristo haven. old boys going to the ponies and making/losing a fortune is so ingrained that of course the tax incentive structure is built around it.

I do wonder how this relates to entire noble families losing their fortunes because the failson patriarch can't stop sucking at cards

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

pofcorn posted:

He's already done it to payment processing, electric vehicles and space travel, so why not Cryptocurrency?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I think he just put money and branding in paypal and didn't do much more than that?

Like the company he build was bought by paypal for the name alone?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

CoolCab posted:

The relevant case is Graham v Green (1925). As far as I'm aware Mr Graham wasn't an aristo but he did have enough cash to make plenty of bets on the horses and was good enough at it to make quite a bit of money doing it, to the extent that he didn't need (or have time for) any other employment. The taxman said "I'll have some of that" but in court the judge ruled that gambling wasn't trading and so the profits thereof were not subject to tax. It's probably a good thing that he did, as allowing gambling wins to count as trading profits would therefore mean that gambling stakes would be deductible trading expenses, making it very easy to manipulate your tax liability.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Party Boat posted:

The relevant case is Graham v Green (1925). As far as I'm aware Mr Graham wasn't an aristo but he did have enough cash to make plenty of bets on the horses and was good enough at it to make quite a bit of money doing it, to the extent that he didn't need (or have time for) any other employment. The taxman said "I'll have some of that" but in court the judge ruled that gambling wasn't trading and so the profits thereof were not subject to tax. It's probably a good thing that he did, as allowing gambling wins to count as trading profits would therefore mean that gambling stakes would be deductible trading expenses, making it very easy to manipulate your tax liability.
The US browbeats gamblers by taxing all gains as ordinary income and losses are deductible up to a limit and only applicable to offset gambling gains. If you win $5000, lose $4000, then you get to declare a profit of 1k in taxable earnings. If you lose $7k and win $5k then you get write off the entire winnings and don't get any benefit from the last 2k you lost.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Tell me more about how taxes are reasonable

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

xtal posted:

in a tax free society you would be one of the first to go

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

punishedkissinger posted:

in a tax free society you would be one of the first to go

Is this a bad thing?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hoop Dreams posted:

Is this a bad thing?
finally, a compelling argument for anarchism

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Nice try, anarchists don't pay taxes and get death threats already.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

xtal posted:

Is this what brain damage posts like?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Any perceived persecution arises because the brand of anarchism xlol embraces results from being an unemployable dumbass, not because society specifically targets those political beliefs. (Though, those beliefs often arise from being an insufferable idiot, so maybe this is a syllogism without distinction.)

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
https://mobile.twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1396100822245777408

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

absolute king move IMHO

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Bitcoin: HA HA.. All you moon bois have been scammed and you cant do poo poo about it

edit: moderators please change the thread title to this thanks in advance

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rebased

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

xtal posted:

Problem

First, if you have a side-bitch ideology cooking somewhere, don't sweat it. Fightin' indirect taxation for the Gossamer State is compatible with *all* creeds. It's cool like that. You're a cool anarchist now. Unless you don't want to be an anarchist. Whatever! Stuff this meal ticket in your eye-socket and let's see if we can steal some *love* back from the robber barons at the customs agency and the *banditos* at The Insulindian Financial Oversight and Competition Committee.

Solution

Turns out those Financial Oversight Committee gangsters stuffed millions of hard-earned dividends away in the last place anyone thought to look: the hearts and minds of everyday Revacholians! You need to spread that deregulation gospel to the *people*. Tell them about that foreign fare tax. Preach that 98% gross burden. Preach it, preacher man! Set the brothas free. Taxes are racist.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

EorayMel posted:

Problem

First, if you have a side-bitch ideology cooking somewhere, don't sweat it. Fightin' indirect taxation for the Gossamer State is compatible with *all* creeds. It's cool like that. You're a cool anarchist now. Unless you don't want to be an anarchist. Whatever! Stuff this meal ticket in your eye-socket and let's see if we can steal some *love* back from the robber barons at the customs agency and the *banditos* at The Insulindian Financial Oversight and Competition Committee.

Solution

Turns out those Financial Oversight Committee gangsters stuffed millions of hard-earned dividends away in the last place anyone thought to look: the hearts and minds of everyday Revacholians! You need to spread that deregulation gospel to the *people*. Tell them about that foreign fare tax. Preach that 98% gross burden. Preach it, preacher man! Set the brothas free. Taxes are racist.

Might makes right. Do as thy wilt, is the whole of the law.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I got a Chinese horoscope reading that said I would make an investment this year that would fail, then on a lark I told my buddy I would invest in Bitcoin so that it would fail. I got a small amount of Bitcoin and the very next day crypto started crashing. I'm getting freaked out by my Chinese horoscope powers over here.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

So I guess my sister is way more into crypto than I thought. I got a lecture about how I need to be investing in block chain technology today and she detailed her plans to build a crypto consultancy to help other people invest in crypto/block-chain. She had canned answers for all my well-researched objections -- it was kind of scary actually.

Two weeks ago it was "you need to get in on bitcoin" and today it was "I actually have very little bitcoin holdings, my investments are in block chain companies".

She also hates Elon now lol (he was an idol not too long ago).

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

That just sounds like higher level Darwinism at play if you ask me. Bitcoin is a way to weed out the dumb people. Only the smartest survive.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

latinotwink1997 posted:

That just sounds like higher level Darwinism at play if you ask me. Bitcoin is a way to weed out the dumb people. Only the smartest survive.

With the smartest being the coiners, obviously. Do you want a free copy of The Blockchain and talk about virtual currency with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds like she's come around, if in backwards fashion, to selling shovels during the gold rush.