Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

I was born in 91 so none of that does anything for me. I enjoy the throw back because I like 80’s movies tones way better than any other decade because they have monsters and comedy.

And so does stranger things. It’s one of my favorite shows and I can’t wait for the new season

I'm not trying to be a dick here but I feel like you're a biased party because you like just about anything with aliens and monsters. There's nothing wrong with that but I find it makes you less critical of a bunch of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not here to be critical. I’m here to enjoy things and talk aboht how much I enjoy things.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not here to be critical. I’m here to enjoy things and talk aboht how much I enjoy things.

Fair enough.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

No idea but it has a commentary track by one of my favorite film critic/theory writers so it was an instant-buy. Even if I haven’t pulled the trigger on the region-free UHD player yet (still waiting for all this apartment stuff to cool down) I have the motivation to do that soon now though.

https://twitter.com/bbw_bff/status/1394230381625311232?s=21

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
stranger things sucks because it is bad and not interesting

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

John Romero posted:

stranger things sucks because it is bad and not interesting
i disagree, it's fun and sometimes interesting

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The first season of Stranger Things was fine. I stopped watching halfway through season 2 because I got burned out on its relentless fine-ness.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
2 is whatever and has an outright skippable episode. But 3 is a lot of fun and contains some good body horror. I really hate that Netflix hasn’t put out a UHD of it because I bet it would pop so much more with a full bitstream.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’d kill for a UHD set of their Dark Crystal series. Which is pretty much what it would take since it’s the complete opposite of their business model.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CelticPredator posted:

I too enjoy those things, those stranger... things. Also the physical cases for the blu-ray/DVD sets are really cool and good.

I can see why there's a backlash now, like the series kind of dragged on and kept rehashing the same threat. It's still consistently good, just maybe not "great" at this point because it's no longer new or unique.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I just want more streaming movies/shows to get physical release. Thank god for Criterion picking up a bunch of dramas, but goddamn it I want a Blu Ray of the Death Note movie. Maybe someone like Shout could pick up a few movies/series down the road.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Liar Lyre posted:

I just want more streaming movies/shows to get physical release. Thank god for Criterion picking up a bunch of dramas, but goddamn it I want a Blu Ray of the Death Note movie. Maybe someone like Shout could pick up a few movies/series down the road.

Hear hear. My off the wall request for a streaming movie to get a physical release is the early Netflix movie ‘Spectral’. it’s a neat little movie that I watched a couple times when I had Netflix, but now I don’t so I’d love to buy it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/AdamMaagoul69/status/1395859881320538115?s=19

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Bit late but I find stranger things to be a fun show. My biggest problem however, is they keep growing the cast and have trouble accommodating it. So they do things like split the core group for most of season 3, and the development feels thin. I read season 4 will have like 3 or 4 new characters and I'm just like "how do you plan to write for this many people?"

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I just remembered we’re owed a Heat UHD!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Bit late but I find stranger things to be a fun show. My biggest problem however, is they keep growing the cast and have trouble accommodating it. So they do things like split the core group for most of season 3, and the development feels thin. I read season 4 will have like 3 or 4 new characters and I'm just like "how do you plan to write for this many people?"

The first season is expertly split between kids/teens/adults to do three different pastiches, but season 3 was very weak in how it divided the cast. Also, the science teacher is due to go on the adventure by now.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Are all the mission impossible movies in dolby vision? The DV list shows just the latest one, while the box set has a broad listing and Blu-ray.com mentions all six as having it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pink Floyd: The Wall continues to be a glaring omission to the catalog of blu-rays.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Pink Floyd: The Wall continues to be a glaring omission to the catalog of blu-rays.

At this point if that movie hit on anything but UHD I would just be angry.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

At this point if that movie hit on anything but UHD I would just be angry.

I doubt we're ever getting it on any format past DVD. Music movies seem to all come with a poo poo ton of rights issues.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

4K Forbidden Zone when (as soon as Richard Elfman replaces all the blackface with clowns via CG.)

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 23, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fly Ricky posted:

Transformers ‘86 is supposedly coming out on UHD May 24th? How come this isn’t listed on the Shout Factory website or anywhere else for that matter? Maybe it is and I’m too dumb to find it.

Don’t get my hopes up… :argh:

If this is real, I'm pre-ordering yesterday.

Origami Dali posted:

Season one is a fine mashup of Stephen King and Spielberg, with a lot of cribbing from different horror and sci-fi movies. I don't begrudge it for being derivative any more than I do for Tarantino. It should've never had any more seasons, though. It wasn't expected to be such a huge hit, and the story had nowhere else to go. They just couldn't resist those dollars signs.

The thing that does set season 1 apart is that it's set in the 80's without being explicitly 80's. With some minor changes it could have easily been any time from the late 60's up to the early 90's. The next two seasons focus too much on the time period.

As I said earlier, it would have been better as an anthology, with perhaps Hopper showing up as a man in black (remember that mostly dropped plot point from the end of the first season?)

At least season 3 had a monster

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Iron Crowned posted:

If this is real, I'm pre-ordering yesterday.

The only other bit of info I could find said that preorders start the 24th, which seems to make more sense.

At any rate I’ve got Shout Factory loaded up ready to :f5:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

caligulamprey posted:

4K Forbidden Zone when (as soon as Richard Elfman replaces all the blackface with clowns via CG.)

Man, I unapologetically love Forbidden Zone but I can't recommend it to anybody unless I know ahead of time that they wouldn't just shut it off in the first 20 minutes. And then give me dirty looks the next time they see me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Are all the mission impossible movies in dolby vision? The DV list shows just the latest one, while the box set has a broad listing and Blu-ray.com mentions all six as having it.

Yea I have each movie individually, not the box set, and they all have the Dolby Vision logo on the case.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
https://twitter.com/klstudioclassic/status/1396481045432733697?s=21

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

poo poo, I totally forgot Hard Target was a John Woo joint.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I get the grindhouse bluray site being closed to catch up on orders, but I wish I could log into my account still.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

I get the grindhouse bluray site being closed to catch up on orders, but I wish I could log into my account still.

I heard they'll be opening tomorrow. I'm chomping at the bit to get on there and preorder a copy of the Bird with the Crystal Plumage LE UHD. They told me they still have a few hundred copies of the Arte Originale version available.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I heard they'll be opening tomorrow. I'm chomping at the bit to get on there and preorder a copy of the Bird with the Crystal Plumage LE UHD. They told me they still have a few hundred copies of the Arte Originale version available.

Diabolik is/was also carrying that btw.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

Diabolik is/was also carrying that btw.

Was. I missed out on it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

The only other bit of info I could find said that preorders start the 24th, which seems to make more sense.

At any rate I’ve got Shout Factory loaded up ready to :f5:

Having just found a kup and hot rod figure last week (my favorites from the movie) I'm very happy to hear this.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What is the go-to Kung Fu DVD house now? I know it used to be Dragon Dynasty...

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What is the go-to Kung Fu DVD house now? I know it used to be Dragon Dynasty...

If you can play region B, probably 88 Films.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I just got the Warner Archive US disc of Drunken Master II and it's, uh, a compromise. It's certainly the best the film has looked on US release but it's missing a lot: your subtitle choices are the original subtitles from the Hong Kong release, errors and all, or the SDH dubtitles based on the original English dub. Gone is the re-dub done with Jackie Chan for the Dimension Films English release which I'm sure they were unable or unwilling to license.

Maybe I am getting too old to be fussed about "accuracy" or maybe it's just familiarity from years of watching the only US release available at the time, but the Dimension dub was a funnier, more coherent film. It's a shame we didn't get modern, accurate subs on such an iconic movie.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I don't mind the old HK subtitles since that's what I grew up with, plus I understand most of the Cantonese.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-transformers-the-movie-35th-anniversary-limited-edition-steelbook?product_id=7636

I skipped the old blu release so it'll be a nice upgrade to my DVD.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Do they have a version that doesn’t have the steelbook or lithograph? I’m just looking for the movie, I already have the Blu-ray steelbook.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
The pace of movies coming to 4k is so insanely slow, ugh.

On a happier note, my 4k copies of The Prestige and the original Suspiria just arrived, gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Xenomrph posted:

Do they have a version that doesn’t have the steelbook or lithograph? I’m just looking for the movie, I already have the Blu-ray steelbook.

Another site (not Blu-ray, sorry can’t remember right now) mentioned that there will be a non-steelbook release as well in August.