Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Throwing a rack of beef ribs on today. Marinating in some kbbq sauce. Shooting for 200ish is the norm, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It would seem like most of us just go for the bend test. If the ribs hang limp and the bark cracks a little they're good to go. But yea I think 203 is about right IIRC.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

El Jebus posted:

Throwing a rack of beef ribs on today. Marinating in some kbbq sauce. Shooting for 200ish is the norm, right?

200 is good for beef ribs. Don't be tempted to pull em earlier, it'll start smelling outrageously good but fight the urge!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

um excuse me posted:

It would seem like most of us just go for the bend test. If the ribs hang limp and the bark cracks a little they're good to go. But yea I think 203 is about right IIRC.

I didn't even bother checking temp because it's hard to get a consistent reading with ribs.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I have a 14" WSM that I want to do ribs on. It seems too small to do anything but hang them unless I only want two servings. Thoughts on that? Both flat and in one of those racks that holds them up doesn't seem like I'll be able to fit much on a 14" grate.

Someone already quoted my pic, but I was able to fit one rack flat on the bottom grate then another coiled on the top grate. Worked fine. Still got ribs for dinner tonight.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I have a 14" WSM that I want to do ribs on. It seems too small to do anything but hang them unless I only want two servings. Thoughts on that? Both flat and in one of those racks that holds them up doesn't seem like I'll be able to fit much on a 14" grate.

I also a have a 14” smoker and I just cut my racks in half and lay them next to each other. They come out just fine. I have seen people roll up the rack and turn it sideways so they don’t have to cut it. Never tried it that way, but I’m sure it’s fine too.

One reason I kind of like cutting them in half is so I can experiment with a different seasoning on each half.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to remember, but I think the most I've ever fit on my 22" WSM was 12 racks of ribs using two trays. That was a lot of pork. Nowadays that would be close to 200 bucks worth of ribs. :cry:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I've done 9 racks at once in my MES 40" and that was a lot. Thankfully this was a few years ago and while they were on sale at Costco. PBUC!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus I cooked 5 racks of ribs 11 months ago and still have leftovers.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I need to see how many slabs I can actually fit on my 14”. If I got a couple of those rib holder racks I think I could do at least four whole slabs of ribs. Maybe five or six. But that’s a lot of ribs. And I guess I don’t love my friends enough to cook $50 worth for a cookout.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

I'm trying to remember, but I think the most I've ever fit on my 22" WSM was 12 racks of ribs using two trays. That was a lot of pork. Nowadays that would be close to 200 bucks worth of ribs. :cry:

Not ribs, but I fit ~45 lbs of bacon into my 18” wsm last weekend. It was a touch right, but everything came out great.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I fit four racks of pork spare ribs on my 18.5 yesterday. I’ll probably try the roll method next time it was a tight fit

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just an FYI you can take butchers string, wrap your ribs and hang them on a S hook or meat hook in the lower rack area if you want a reason to own meat hooks. You may have to remove the water pan for smaller than the 22 WSM. I don't know since that's what I have.

Oh and the hook should go between the first two rib bones so they don't sag down during the cook.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 20, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

born on a buy you posted:

Got a pack of this brands rubs as a gift. I’m happy with all of them so far. https://bullcitybbq.com/

Ah a bit problematic for me, I'm in Finland. I mostly make my own rub but I haven't yet really gotten that dark bark that you got, I wonder if it's the sugar that does it, I don't use much of that.

I've also thought about filling the water pan with sand, but I am skeptical if it does much of a difference. I am gonna try and smoke another shoulder this weekend, I'll add brown sugar to my rub. I don't foil my shoulders as a rule either, which should help with the bark.

I don't spritz either, which maybe I should try.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I spritz with apple cider vinegar. Every couple hours whenever I think remember it. Those were on for 16~ hours.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
OK I think maybe it's the time factor then, I am usually calling within 8-9 hours. I'll have to prep tonight and get up early tomorrow.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ah a bit problematic for me, I'm in Finland. I mostly make my own rub but I haven't yet really gotten that dark bark that you got, I wonder if it's the sugar that does it, I don't use much of that.

I've also thought about filling the water pan with sand, but I am skeptical if it does much of a difference. I am gonna try and smoke another shoulder this weekend, I'll add brown sugar to my rub. I don't foil my shoulders as a rule either, which should help with the bark.

I don't spritz either, which maybe I should try.

Sugar definitely helps with the dark bark, but it isn’t required (witness any black meteor of a brisket made with Dalmatian rub). I’d try giving it a bit longer (what temp are you smoking/pulling at?) and maybe using a bit more smoke wood.

(Spritzing will just make the stall last longer.)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh I am very primitive, I just go by time, I don't use temperature probes, just go by the weber factory thermometer. I also don't bother adding smoke after 5-6 hours since I read it doesn't do anything. But I might be wrong about that. Usually pull it at 8-9 hours.

I'll try and do a 12+ hour cook at least this time and add chunks for longer. I suppose doing it overnight would be easier if I wanted to go longer, feeling a bit nervous about letting it go all night though without any active monitoring equipment.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I also don't bother adding smoke after 5-6 hours since I read it doesn't do anything. But I might be wrong about that. Usually pull it at 8-9 hours.

Over smoking is real.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Oh I am very primitive, I just go by time, I don't use temperature probes, just go by the weber factory thermometer. I also don't bother adding smoke after 5-6 hours since I read it doesn't do anything. But I might be wrong about that. Usually pull it at 8-9 hours.

I'll try and do a 12+ hour cook at least this time and add chunks for longer. I suppose doing it overnight would be easier if I wanted to go longer, feeling a bit nervous about letting it go all night though without any active monitoring equipment.

Adding smoke late in the cook can make things bitter. If you aren't using a probe, I would aim for 12 hours or so. I did an 8lb shoulder last weekend, and it was just coming out of its stall at 8 hours.
I think my shoulders are usually 12 to 13 hours to hit 195f.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I slather mustard on my pork before rubbing, you can get the most rub on that way and get a thicker bark. It's also definitely the sugar that darkens during a smoke.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Oh I am very primitive, I just go by time, I don't use temperature probes, just go by the weber factory thermometer.

I'd get a probe. I don't trust the lid thermometer. Mine had condensation in it by the third cook and reads consistently higher or lower than the cooking surface, depending on whether I have water in my pan.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I am planning my first brisket smoke for Memorial Day. It will be done on a kamado and we intend to feed about 6 people. Would I be better suited getting a flat or a point? I trust a packer would be excessive.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
What's the go-to jerky recipe around here? I just got a smoker and want that smokey meat.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

I am planning my first brisket smoke for Memorial Day. It will be done on a kamado and we intend to feed about 6 people. Would I be better suited getting a flat or a point? I trust a packer would be excessive.

Why not get a packer? If the Kamado can fit it, you can separate and freeze whatever you don’t eat. Hell I had a whole packer a few weeks ago and thawed it enough to trim and separate the flat and point, refroze the point and am cooking it this weekend. I already did the flat and hosed it up because lots less fat and didn’t get home in time to take it out at the right temperature.

If you don’t do a full packer it just depends on whether you want lean or regular brisket; it also will change the cooking time potentially since the point’s fat will maybe insulate it a bit more. If you want lean, get a flat and make sure you take it out around 195F.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Bluedeanie posted:

Always always always do as much brisket as you can fit. There are so many delicious uses for left over brisket you can have a unique dinner each night until it's all gone.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

I'd get a probe. I don't trust the lid thermometer. Mine had condensation in it by the third cook and reads consistently higher or lower than the cooking surface, depending on whether I have water in my pan.

At a minimum get an instant-read thermometer to check meat temps when you open the lid (it’s just a generally useful kitchen tool also.)

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I've had a thermapen for like 10 years now, and I think it might be the best kitchen purchase I've ever made, maybe tied with a food scale. No more dried out pork chops or under cooked chicken. You can use it as a candy thermometer, and to check baked goods!

Thermoworks also has a lower end instant read thermometer called the thermopop, it's supposed to be really nice, and I think they are around 30 USD.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah, thermapen is great and you can get them for a pretty reasonable price if you sign up for their mailing list and wait for a deal to get sent. (And if not the pop is still good.)

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Kalman posted:

Yeah, thermapen is great and you can get them for a pretty reasonable price if you sign up for their mailing list and wait for a deal to get sent. (And if not the pop is still good.)

The Mk4 is on sale right now for $69.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not really in a position to acquire new equipment that fast, since I started last night around 2100. But I have a cheap copy of the instaread thermometer however.

Weather's been real poo poo however so I had to place it under cover.

I filled up the smoker with briquettes and positioned chunks around it, then used the minion method and put lit it up coals in one corner so it could spread through the smoker over night. I filled the water bowl to max, decided to keep using water since it's so good at keeping the smoker at the right temp. I woke up in the middle of the night so I checked it and it was hovering between the two temp and still doing so this morning, in a few hours it should have done 12 hours. I checked it now and it's 205F (took it in F for you americans) which I believe is an ideal temperature but it's not yet gone 12 hours. But it's only a 3.5lbs piece. I closed the vents somewhat to drop the temperature. Debating if I should take it out now and foil it.,,

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The real test for pulled pork is how tender it is when temp probed. Not time and temp. If there is resistance anywhere let it go for a bit longer. It should basically melt once all the fat has broken down.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

born on a buy you posted:

The real test for pulled pork is how tender it is when temp probed. Not time and temp. If there is resistance anywhere let it go for a bit longer. It should basically melt once all the fat has broken down.

I decided to pull it because as you say it felt done, and I got pretty good bark this time. Added brown sugar to my rub. Foiling it and letting it rest for a few hours in a cooler now.

By american standards I think this was a small pork butt, 3.5lbs, might not have to go that long really. But I had to go the expensive butchers store to get this since the local supermarket only has 2lbs cuts which is too small. I figure for a long cook like this maybe I should've gone 4-5 lbs instead, but I've had an expensive week already....

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Yeah going 16~ hours with a 3 pound but would probably not be possible. The two I posted were 8-9 each cooked at 225-230. IMO these is no set time. Some briskets will take longer or shorter than others and I’ve yet to find a pattern.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm doing a lil pork butt for the first time in a long while and the butt broke into two pieces while I was removing the fat cap. I shouldn't be precious about this right? Just kind of smush them together when I put them on the smoker?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's what I'd do anyway.

Pulled the pork, maybe it got a bit dry but it's still one of the best results I've had, the bark turned out phenomenal and the taste is superb. And you sauce pulled pork anyway so it doesn't matter.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I decided to pull it because as you say it felt done, and I got pretty good bark this time. Added brown sugar to my rub. Foiling it and letting it rest for a few hours in a cooler now.

By american standards I think this was a small pork butt, 3.5lbs, might not have to go that long really. But I had to go the expensive butchers store to get this since the local supermarket only has 2lbs cuts which is too small. I figure for a long cook like this maybe I should've gone 4-5 lbs instead, but I've had an expensive week already....

For about a 4lb butt it takes me about 8-9 hours. That’s really my preferred size because I don’t really do overnight cooks.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Would you guys dry brine a brisket point overnight? Or would you dry brine it just a couple hours before tossing it in the smoker?

As far as rub, I’ve got lots of Meat Church rubs but not really sure if I should just make my own rub this time. I don’t know which one goes well on what versus what else because I’ve only had the one that clearly works well with pork.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

life is killing me posted:

Would you guys dry brine a brisket point overnight? Or would you dry brine it just a couple hours before tossing it in the smoker?

As far as rub, I’ve got lots of Meat Church rubs but not really sure if I should just make my own rub this time. I don’t know which one goes well on what versus what else because I’ve only had the one that clearly works well with pork.

I've always just done a salt and pepper rub before I threw it on the smoker and I've never had any complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

life is killing me posted:

This has a pretty good run down of dry brining: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/dry-brining-easier-and-less-wasteful-wet-brining/

1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound, put it on and leave it in the fridge un covered for a few hours after cooking. It will do the same as a wet rub.