Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Batman had a guy who had gotten time-reversal powers so useful he didn't even bother with a gimmick when setting about an elaborate revenge scheme, though this allowed him to tie with Batman. And in the end he ends up reversing time after it all goes wrong all the way back to before his life went to hell, and simply going about his normal life possibly able to simply rewind his everyday mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Justice League Unlimited got their own time powers villain which resulted in crossing over with Batman Beyond (with bonus Old Static), meeting Jonah Hex and a bunch of Golden Age western comics characters, and the only appearance of Hal Jordan in the DCAU thanks to a time paradox.

In the end the time villain locks himself into a 30 second time loop for eternity where his wife bitches at him.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Justice League Unlimited got their own time powers villain which resulted in crossing over with Batman Beyond (with bonus Old Static), meeting Jonah Hex and a bunch of Golden Age western comics characters, and the only appearance of Hal Jordan in the DCAU thanks to a time paradox.

In the end the time villain locks himself into a 30 second time loop for eternity where his wife bitches at him.

yeah, that was a great episode

so we were talking about the romance subplots in avatar: TLA a few episodes, and i came across this (very long and in-depth) video on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRxtWMODfAc

with regards to the way they handled aang and katara's relationship, when i watched TLA the first time around, i was quite unimpressed. when i watched it again recently, i thought it was pretty bad. but after watching the above video, i now think it was downright terrible. like holy poo poo, what the hell were the writers thinking?

most of the criticisms the youtuber points out were things i already noticed. but there were other things, like the episode with the southern raiders, the scenes with katara and zuko in the crystal cave, the agni kai fight, all provide HEAVY implications that there's something more going on between the two of them. and also one other great point brought up was something i didn't even think about was how the last conversation katara and aang had, had NOTHING to do with their supposed feelings for eachother.

watching this video, it's clear there was a LOT more shipbaiting than i had previously thought. the video is well worth a watch imo and goes into waaaaay more detail, but i also recommend making a few sandwiches before hand cause it may take a while.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Technically, Batman & Green Lantern lock him in the loop by sabotaging his time belt. :eng101:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Funky Valentine posted:

And not by just anybody. She's voiced by Mindy Sterling (who was also Lin Beifong) :eng101:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

AlternateNu posted:

And not by just anybody. She's voiced by Mindy Sterling (who was also Lin Beifong) :eng101:

And the villain was voiced by Peter MacNicol, better known as X The Eliminator.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

True Colors

give me season three NOW

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
True Colors:

I'm glad that they showed the Season 3 opening, to reveal that Marcy is "Alive."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm gonna be thinking about this one for a while folks

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Owl House has some real big boots to overcome when it comes back in June after that Amphibia finale. Wow!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Owl House has some real big boots to overcome when it comes back in June after that Amphibia finale. Wow!

I'm breathlessly waiting for Amphibia to give me the "Anne goes to the Wu and Waybright households to explain why their daughters aren't coming home" episode.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Senerio posted:

True Colors:

I'm glad that they showed the Season 3 opening, to reveal that Marcy is "Alive."

What is that black gunk all over Marcy? Is that supposed to be some kind of wetsuit or a Venom-esque membrane? It's weirding me out.

After watching the season 2 finale I think I finally get what the show is supposed to be about, assuming there's some kind of "big picture" or meaning to the story other than slightly-serialized fun time adventures in Disney cartoon world. The scene where Marcy reveals she intended to strand her friends in Amphibia is when it came to me. Amphibia is a story about friendships, but not in the mundane way in which a lot of family friendly shows are about friendships. Amphibia is a story about why, sometimes, friendships need to end. Anne is stuck in a friendship with two other girls that, for some reason or another, needs to end. Her friendship with Sasha needs to end because it's toxic. She's controlling, manipulative and has proven herself time and again that she's a snake. Anne's friendship with Marcy needs to end because her family is moving away and, while that's sad, it needs to happen so everyone can move on with their lives. She refused to accept this, however, and instead concocted a scheme to send them to some magical alternate reality where she wouldn't have to be forced to leave her friends. In addition to being selfish, it was very dangerous thing to do. She had no idea it would send her friends to whimsical Disney Channel cartoon reality. It could have sent them to straight up Now and Then, Here and There verse where everything is subjugation and war crimes. Something Marcy said during the scene where she came clean about her scheme rang true. She mentioned how much they had all grown since they came to Amphibia, which is true. What she failed to realize is that most of that growth happened while they were apart, which further underscores their need to separate from one another. I'm not entirely sure how the show will end but I'd be surprised if it does so with all three of them still together.

Also, I'm not sure why they had to begin the episode revealing to the audience that Marcy planned everything from the start. It kind of undercut the surprise when she confesses to it later in the show. Then again, this isn't the first time the show subverted its own twist, considering how strongly they were broadcasting King Andrias' betrayal.

Sorry for the long rear end effort post. The episode was much better than I anticipated it to be and I felt compelled to share.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Macrame_God posted:

What is that black gunk all over Marcy? Is that supposed to be some kind of wetsuit or a Venom-esque membrane? It's weirding me out.

After watching the season 2 finale I think I finally get what the show is supposed to be about, assuming there's some kind of "big picture" or meaning to the story other than slightly-serialized fun time adventures in Disney cartoon world. The scene where Marcy reveals she intended to strand her friends in Amphibia is when it came to me. Amphibia is a story about friendships, but not in the mundane way in which a lot of family friendly shows are about friendships. Amphibia is a story about why, sometimes, friendships need to end. Anne is stuck in a friendship with two other girls that, for some reason or another, needs to end. Her friendship with Sasha needs to end because it's toxic. She's controlling, manipulative and has proven herself time and again that she's a snake. Anne's friendship with Marcy needs to end because her family is moving away and, while that's sad, it needs to happen so everyone can move on with their lives. She refused to accept this, however, and instead concocted a scheme to send them to some magical alternate reality where she wouldn't have to be forced to leave her friends. In addition to being selfish, it was very dangerous thing to do. She had no idea it would send her friends to whimsical Disney Channel cartoon reality. It could have sent them to straight up Now and Then, Here and There verse where everything is subjugation and war crimes. Something Marcy said during the scene where she came clean about her scheme rang true. She mentioned how much they had all grown since they came to Amphibia, which is true. What she failed to realize is that most of that growth happened while they were apart, which further underscores their need to separate from one another. I'm not entirely sure how the show will end but I'd be surprised if it does so with all three of them still together.

Also, I'm not sure why they had to begin the episode revealing to the audience that Marcy planned everything from the start. It kind of undercut the surprise when she confesses to it later in the show. Then again, this isn't the first time the show subverted its own twist, considering how strongly they were broadcasting King Andrias' betrayal.

Sorry for the long rear end effort post. The episode was much better than I anticipated it to be and I felt compelled to share.

To follow with that, she'll inevitably have to end her friendship with the Planters because she'll have to move on back to her world and they, theirs.

Regarding possibilities in S3: I assume when Anne contact the family of her friends, we'll get a look at why they're each sorta like how they are. Marcy's family might be too busy for her so she buries herself in D&D and other books when she's not with Anne and Sasha. Sasha's family probably the Northwests again or something where she's controlling of her friends because she has no control over her own life and only knows that as how to show care for others

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Madurai posted:

I'm breathlessly waiting for Amphibia to give me the "Anne goes to the Wu and Waybright households to explain why their daughters aren't coming home" episode.

The Wus moved on, went with their original plan and live somewhere like Trenton NJ now. Sasha's parents were on an extended business trip the last couple of months.

Most cathartic thing about the new intro: Anne has a new set of shoes! Well, it's not like get on would let her walk around LA like that. Thinking about it, I would have liked if nothing changed and she was just the one boot weirdo from now on. Weirdly enough, she does still have her current out if in the final shot of the intro.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 23, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah, that was a great episode

so we were talking about the romance subplots in avatar: TLA a few episodes, and i came across this (very long and in-depth) video on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRxtWMODfAc

with regards to the way they handled aang and katara's relationship, when i watched TLA the first time around, i was quite unimpressed. when i watched it again recently, i thought it was pretty bad. but after watching the above video, i now think it was downright terrible. like holy poo poo, what the hell were the writers thinking?

most of the criticisms the youtuber points out were things i already noticed. but there were other things, like the episode with the southern raiders, the scenes with katara and zuko in the crystal cave, the agni kai fight, all provide HEAVY implications that there's something more going on between the two of them. and also one other great point brought up was something i didn't even think about was how the last conversation katara and aang had, had NOTHING to do with their supposed feelings for eachother.

watching this video, it's clear there was a LOT more shipbaiting than i had previously thought. the video is well worth a watch imo and goes into waaaaay more detail, but i also recommend making a few sandwiches before hand cause it may take a while.

Eh, the way people talk about Zutara is already with heavy shipping goggles on, completely missing the idea that a boy and a girl can have a personal relationship that isn't romantic. (if anything, there's way more ZutAang baiting, given the peace summit basically looks like a wedding. And they did the Fusion Dance) And I think no small amount of self-insertion with Katara as an easy identification character for certain parts of the audience. (Katara and Aang's relationship being poorly handled I got no real argument with, though)

The whole deal between them is basically more respect and trust- and Katara being Azula's equal-and-opposite in the influence she has on Zuko, and a representative of what Zuko's going to have to deal with in a world that rightfully hates and fears the Fire Nation for what it's done to them. The Southern Raiders has a key element that Zuko is willing to aid Katara on what amounts to a quest to restore her honour, that she's suffered a horrible and humiliating harm from the Fire Nation and she has the right to pursue justice- and Zuko is probably the one member of the group who's willing to let her do it her way, whatever she chooses to do, and doesn't try to lecture or judge her. (The three main outing episodes with Zuko are in fact specifically things that only he can do, both as an insider to the Fire Nation and because of his moral and ethical perspective. And well, being a Firebender)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Zutara is and always has been a case of nerds wanting to read “generally amicable, both are cute, therefore attraction” come hell or highwater. There is not an ounce of romantic chemistry there.

But shippers gonna be loving crazy. Tons of people who “should” be compatible nonetheless don’t spark/have no particular interest. Zutara is one such case.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
My hot take is that zutara is the 2010s version of Reylo: it makes "sense" but if it ever actually happened it would be terrible.*

*Yes I know

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reylo does strike me as written by Zutara shippers whose brains never got less broken.

Shipping wars in general get loving crazy, they can be kinda easy to miss but pretty much every kind of fandom toxicity you can imagine gets caught up in them. I don't know if you see them as much as you used to nowadays since it seems like most shows handle relationships differently, though then again as said it's possible a lot of stuff nowadays is written by veterans of such wars.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I thought it was revealed that the writers did strongly consider Zutara before deciding against it. Some of these eps could have been written before that final decision.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Zuko had great moments in Legend of Korra, like when discussing the combustion bender who is part of season 3's villain group. "The irony is I once hired someone with the exact same ability to kill the avatar myself. *beat* (defensively)It didn't work."

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I mean, there was definitely some Zutara baiting in season 2, but season 2 ends with Zuko betraying everyone. Why is it so unreasonable that Katara wouldn’t be interested in him after that, even though she eventually accepts him as part of the gang?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Betraying someone to a hostile nation is just playing hard to get.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
"Let have the person whose people were genocided by a nation fall in love with and marry the prince of said nation" is a bit problematic, even if he is a reformer. Friendship? Sure, but full-on marriage makes it weird.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Covok posted:

"Let have the person whose people were genocided by a nation fall in love with and marry the prince of said nation" is a bit problematic, even if he is a reformer. Friendship? Sure, but full-on marriage makes it weird.

There have been plenty of political marriages like that in real life history. The idea is that when the houses get united the subjugated people feel less eager to revolt. Of course that's not exactly a balanced, or healthy relationship.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Twibbit posted:

I thought it was revealed that the writers did strongly consider Zutara before deciding against it. Some of these eps could have been written before that final decision.

They've gone on record to say that they never intended for them to be together. If there was ever any plans for that relationship, it was cut off by the pilot.

Its been repeated enough, but yeah, Zutara is insane and never got any groundswell in the show itself.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Macrame_God posted:

It's a bodysuit designed to better connect with the EVA Andrias's Calamity Box Control Mechanism I'd guess.

Anyway to get the topic onto anything that isn't goons being weird about shipping, I'm excited for The Owl House Season 2, and hopeful that The Ghost and Molly McGee is also good.

Also Dana Terrace posted this

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1395880207140081665?s=19

And revealed that Luz would cosplay Marcy.

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1395880976316727299?s=19

Senerio fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 23, 2021

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Covok posted:

i mean...people from rival/enemy/warring/etc. houses/countries/families/etc. falling in love is a pretty common trope in media. i mean, romeo and juliet is literally about that very thing! also look at vegeta getting together with bulma, even after the guy ACTUALLY MURDERED HER BOYFRIEND

that being said, i do want to make it clear. i wasn't so much arguing for zutara, so much as i was very much AGAINST kataang. everything from the way their relationship was handled/develop, to their age difference, all of that got a big thumbs down from me, is all i'm sayin'

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My friend shipped Toang.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Honestly the real issue with ship wars is more when people become fixated on the ship they support being "validated" by the source material and/or when they start warring with people who support opposing ships. You think Zutara is the best thing since sliced bread and take enjoyment from the idea of Zuko and Katara hooking up? More power to you, and you shouldn't let whether or not the show makes that canon hinder your enjoyment, it's all equally fictional.

That said, I did find it kind of amusing during the pre-release period of Legend of Korra when a lot of former Zutara shippers were latching onto the idea of Korra/Mako due to the characters visual similarities to Katara and Zuko, and then the show came out and the duo had a completely different dynamic. Also I was really tickled when it initially looked like they were going to exclusively focus on the Korra/Mako/Asami love triangle and play up Korra and Asami's rivalry, only to have Korra and Asami holding absolutely no animosity towards one another, even when they were direct rivals for Mako's affections and then by the end of the series they both just decide to forget about Mako and hook up with each other instead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn’t they only start building up the Korra/Asami relationship around Season 3 or so?

Off the subject, are any of the Avatar/Korra comics worth reading? Same question regarding the Kyoshi novel for that matter.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I have seen a noticeable amount of fanfic and fanwork around two characters who not only don't interact actually once in the canon, but one of them never even acknowledges the other exists. Shippers are loving wild and insane.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

McTimmy posted:

I have seen a noticeable amount of fanfic and fanwork around two characters who not only don't interact actually once in the canon, but one of them never even acknowledges the other exists. Shippers are loving wild and insane.

Or between characters that would sooner kill each other than even do so much as a handshake (or between characters that are literally blood related). Canon and logic mean nothing in the shipping community.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 23, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A lot of fanfiction exists in this weird space where it's reacting to and playing off of not the original work itself but some perceived "ideal" or "potential" the work holds to its audience. Thinking about it like that, someone going "I think these characters who've never met would have a neat dynamic, let's ship them" becomes a bit less strange.

It's still kind of strange though, to be clear.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

McTimmy posted:

"The only reason these two people don't instantly fall in love forever, is the fact that they never met each other, because they live in different countries and centuries!"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
For those who didn't see the Amphibia S2 finale broadcast, here's the season 3 intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RonyPfzCIdY

Considering what I said before the finale, it is extremely funny to me that it looks like they'll be going in the complete opposite direction from what I predicted—with LA providing a new backdrop for the series, with an entirely new stack of human supporting characters to go with it. But though it's not what I predicted, I'm really interested to see where they end up going with this—and particularly what ends up happening with Anne's newfound powers, the apparent Frobo invasion of Earth, and Sasha still out fighting in Amphibia.

Lots of cool stuff to look forward to for sure!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Larryb posted:

Didn’t they only start building up the Korra/Asami relationship around Season 3 or so?

Off the subject, are any of the Avatar/Korra comics worth reading? Same question regarding the Kyoshi novel for that matter.

LoK comics are...well, they're worse than the mainline Avatar comics. I read every Avatar comic and some are fun, but LoK has had a bad run.

Turf Wars is kind of bland. It's only worth it to see Korra and Asami kiss.

Ruins Of The Empire is actual nazi apologia. Like, if you see Kuvira as hitler, then her redemption arc is going to make you puke. Did you know she didn't know about the ethnic cleasning camps that the show hinted at and the comics called "inhumane prison camps," and that it was all the work of her underlings without her knowledge? You know, an actual lie about Nazis that apologists use?

The Kyoshi novels, on the other hand, are wonderful. Both of them are actually great. Tons of gay energy, for those curious. Good worldbuilding, fun characters, interesting conflict, and a great character study on Kyoshi that fans need to read to see the real her. That said, I find it funny how every Earthbending avatar in fanfics are victims of identity theft and then the Kyoshi novel actually does that! Someone did some research on Ao3.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ships are ok i guess except when hardcore shippers try and character-assassinate 'rivals' to their preferred ships, then it gets weird :psyduck:

im only like 2/3 through atla but honestly zutara seems a lot more shakey than kataang (they're both friends, mentors in bending, support each other with stuff, etc)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I say, why not just split the difference with Zutarang

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Regalingualius posted:

I say, why not just split the difference with Zutarang

:yeah:

if ff7r can do it and finally quell ye olden shipping wars, then so can atla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

No, they're terrible. The LoK ones are particularly bland but the ATLA ones are honest to God offensively bad at times and read like a bad fanfic. Plus bending just straight up doesn't work without motion.