Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

If anyone wants the thread it's sadly 2 years old from a deleted account (they deleted it in shame of this post apparently). Here's the cache
https://web.archive.org/web/20180725210235if_/https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/91p65i/15_million_in_debt_need_advice/
and here's the original with all the OPs comments deleted but everything else in tact.
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/91p65i/15_million_in_debt_need_advice/

You can also replace "reddit" in the URL with "removeddit": https://www.removeddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/91p65i/15_million_in_debt_need_advice/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

D1Sergo posted:

Guess this is becoming a.... long-term investment :cool:.

lol

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Wow. "When Money Dies," the history of hyperinflation in Germany, is like 18,000 in sales rank on Amazon right now.

This is a sure sign that inflation fears are overblown.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Hobologist posted:

Wow. "When Money Dies," the history of hyperinflation in Germany, is like 18,000 in sales rank on Amazon right now.

This is a sure sign that inflation fears are overblown.

We’ve see huge inflations in housing, education and healthcare. Commodities are just, now, finally catching up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do we really not have a crypto thread after all this time, or have we just not banned discussion of it in here

Rassle posted:

I like repeating numbers. They're the mathematical equivalent of shiny objects, so I took the plunge on $GOON for 444@2.22

:glomp: this is how I overpay my bills each month

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Do we really not have a crypto thread after all this time, or have we just not banned discussion of it in here
I think crypto threads inevitably attract insane re-reggers and shitposters, which is probably why the Bitcoin thread is kept in GBS

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There is a crypto thread, but for some reason all the posts in it are jokes????

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Rational discussion of crypto looks like shitposting because it's all just so ludicrous. if you left that aside intentionally it'd just be pumping and dumping of nonsense bullshit and an echo chamber of crazy

I mean, just look what's happening with NDRA :homebrew:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

phone posting, question:

why does ivol have a zero % 30-day SEC yield?
https://www.ivoletf.com/ivol-specifications/

it has monthly distributions, most recently at around a 3.5% annualized rate. ER is about 1%. but every time I’ve looked ivol reports 0% sec yield. what gives?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

The OP and searching didn't help much, what is $goon? Surely it's not actually gooroo ventures.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

bobua posted:

The OP and searching didn't help much, what is $goon? Surely it's not actually gooroo ventures.

It refers to stock NDRA. I also think it's a bit dumb.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
NDRA it's a biotech which will likely get FDA approval at some future point. Once it does it may or may not be profitable. It also seems to swing 10% up and down semi consistently.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

pmchem posted:

phone posting, question:

it has monthly distributions, most recently at around a 3.5% annualized rate. ER is about 1%. but every time I’ve looked ivol reports 0% sec yield. what gives?

I’m guessing and could be completely wrong but I think TIPS interest is added to principal so distributions might not count toward the SEC yield distribution.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

pmchem posted:

phone posting, question:

How long have you been looking at it?

I don't know this fund but it's possible that you need to distinguish distribution yield from SEC 30-day yield. The former is based off of what the fund actually distributes and the latter is based off of what the fund could hypothetically distribute out of fund income. So, I have no idea what the TIPS market was like over the last month or two, but if IVOL made nothing but distributed 0.08 out of capital then it would explain the discrepancy.

But check my work on this, I could be wrong.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I’m guessing and could be completely wrong but I think TIPS interest is added to principal so distributions might not count toward the SEC yield distribution.

hmm, IVOL contains SCHP, and SCHP quotes a 6.7% 30-day SEC yield:
https://www.schwabassetmanagement.com/products/schp

similarly, iShares' TIP (a TIPS fund) quotes a 6.x% SEC yield
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239467/ishares-tips-bond-etf

but you are totally right about how TIPS CPI adjusted interest is added to principal, so that's a good thought and might still hold water if IVOL is doing the math differently for whatever reason. maybe IVOL is trying to avoid double-counting for the SEC yield? since it's a fund of funds? but ishares' AOA (an ETF of various equity ETFs, mostly) doesn't do that.

Agronox posted:

How long have you been looking at it?

I don't know this fund but it's possible that you need to distinguish distribution yield from SEC 30-day yield. The former is based off of what the fund actually distributes and the latter is based off of what the fund could hypothetically distribute out of fund income. So, I have no idea what the TIPS market was like over the last month or two, but if IVOL made nothing but distributed 0.08 out of capital then it would explain the discrepancy.

But check my work on this, I could be wrong.

I've been checking it now and then over the past several months (started back when TIPS yields were garbage so I didn't think much of it). but in reality, IVOL's distribution yield has consistently been pretty good (I should've looked closer!).

something's goofy here, I might email them and ask. it seems like distribution yield may just plain be more accurate for IVOL than SEC yield... and if that's the case, it really improves my view on whether or not I might consider parking some money there.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 22, 2021

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

SPCE completed its flight today. Hoping I won’t be holding these bags for much longer!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Picking stocks is easy.

Looking at your etrade account is the part where the mummy's curse takes hold and saps your life force.

Just get drunk and forget about it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rolo posted:

Just get drunk and forget about it.

OH gently caress I thought it was "get drunk and do something about it".

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Getting drunk & buying cryptocurrency is usually how it is done.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fame Douglas posted:

Getting drunk & buying cryptocurrency is usually how it is done.

I’ve done this.

I can’t wait for the Apple Watch 7 to have blood alcohol monitoring so I can create a shortcut that cuts off my trading apps above .04.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BTW here is the answer I got from Fidelity in regards to the $50 foreign settlement fee for OTLY:

quote:

Thank you for investing with Fidelity. I am happy to provide more information regarding your recent trade.[editor's note: I did not actually make a trade]

Oatly Group does trade on a US exchange, however this is still a foreign security. This security is traded internationally and there are additional costs to settle the transaction. Settlement is the process for transferring the security and payment between buyer and seller.

Generally Fidelity does not pass along the cost to settle trades to you. Most trades have no commissions or fees. Trades are generally settled through the Depository Trust Company (DTC). This is the worlds largest securities depository. Some securities are not eligible to be settled through the DTC. When a security cannot be settled through the DTC we must find an alternate company willing to provide this service. While costs of international equity trading can vary country by country, we have arranged to charge a flat $50 transaction cost when alternate settlement companies are required.

We work very hard to ensure you have little or no cost in using many of our services while still offering access to a wide variety of both domestic and international trading services. However with international securities there can be charges due to the additional cost involved in filling your order. Prior to any trade with this charge, a warning is displayed on your order ticket.

Thank you for investing with Fidelity. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any further questions, please let us know.

At present I don't have enough free funds/funds I want to put into OTLY to justify paying $50 each way on the trade. I might look into my RH account (lol) or just not trade it :effort:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

tangy yet delightful posted:

BTW here is the answer I got from Fidelity in regards to the $50 foreign settlement fee for OTLY:

At present I don't have enough free funds/funds I want to put into OTLY to justify paying $50 each way on the trade. I might look into my RH account (lol) or just not trade it :effort:

I don’t think any of this is true.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't pay any dosh on Foreign fees for OTLY. You should give 'em a call

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

tangy yet delightful posted:

I bought a whopping 1 share of oatley using fidelity and never got that message.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any thoughts on what IPOE (SoFi) is going to do long term? They just announced pretty great earnings ahead of their ticker change on 6/1

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Any thoughts on what IPOE (SoFi) is going to do long term? They just announced pretty great earnings ahead of their ticker change on 6/1

Did they? They hide their GAAP numbers and don't give you a balance sheet or cash flow statement. And there's a whole lot of "adjusted" figures.

Maybe it's fine but I wouldn't want to touch it before it has a few quarters of real filings behind it, particularly given the shenanigans with CLOV.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

TSLA's average bitcoin buy was about $34K as far as I can tell (I don't see official numbers), MSTR's average was $24,403 as of a couple weeks ago. I can't really find current numbers on SQ, if they've bought any more. As of February their average price was $55,000.

Anyway with this weekend's bear market we're getting into the zone where interesting things could start happening in the real world (I'm counting TSLA and MSTR as being part of the real world, ok?) as companies start turning into bagholders.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BTC 32100, -14%
DOGE 0.27, -20%

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

quote:

Big institutional investors are dumping bitcoin and going back into gold, JPMorgan says.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/19/big-institutional-investors-are-dumping-bitcoin-and-going-back-into-gold-jpmorgan-says.html

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently, institutional investors have 📃👐

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I bought some on sale with some of my CCIV profits.

Am I going to be killed by a falling knife? Yeah probably, let’s see.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you buy in the middle of a crash.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fame Douglas posted:

Why would you buy

The eternal crypto question

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Crypto's been doing this the past three weekends. It bounces back some on Monday morning when other markets start opening up. How much time do you have to cover a margin call on the crypto exchanges? I'm imagining that people are getting called over the weekend and you can't really sell anything else to move money around to cover.

I really want to see something weird happen with tether where it goes to $1.50 or down to $.25

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
For the people talking about Annovis, btw...

quote:

Annovis Bio Shows Alzheimer’s Reversal in Humans in Phase II Study

I bolded the important part there. Yes, this is a positive sign. However, in my 13-year-long pharma career this is the third time I've seen basically this exact same headline with a different company name. In each of the previous cases, it flopped hard in Phase III and their stocks cratered.

Buyer beware until Phase III results, basically.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So what you're saying is we're on a gravy train with biscuit wheels and number is only going to go up forever. Got it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Buying some anchovies instead.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fame Douglas posted:

Why would you buy in the middle of a crash.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

eTtade won't let me put stops on penny stocks so that's a fun market open for me every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Easy solution: don't trade penny stocks