Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

The middle point is to ask them do describe what their character is doing, rather than actually acting it out. Leaves more wiggle room for not knowing quite what to say.

Yeah, that's what I generally do. If stuff goes well you can often get them to be more expressive on their own with it over time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Just smh my head if you don't force the party's bard to actually be a singer-songwriter and judge them accordingly.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I prefer games with more combat-focused systems because they tend to be more open-ended when it comes to the roleplaying and storytelling. Give us a selection of social and other non-combat skills and basic frameworks for other tasks people might attempt, and otherwise leave that side of things for the players and GM to sort out.

What I can’t stand are the modern trend of games that micromanage what stories you’re allowed to tell and how you’re allowed to tell them, often forcing things to conform to the clichés of some other type of fiction. I remember flicking through the Apocalypse World book back in the day and being just baffled at what people got out of all these rules about strings and such. Can players not just get together before the game starts and talk about how, and if, their characters know each other? And if they aren’t interested in doing that, they’re probably not interested in that side of things in the first place and just want to roll some dice and slay some monsters. And that's not even the worst example of this I can think of; L5R 5th Edition was very insistant on you only telling a specific kind of story and they added tons of cumbersome rules to that effect, which is a shame because I played 4th Edition for a while and I think it came drat near perfect to balancing social and combat rules.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

speaking of missing the point

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I mean, if they want to just roll some dice and kill some monsters they absolutely shouldn't be playing Apocalypse World or really any other PbtA game in the first place. Likewise you shouldn't run D&D if you want to run a game about being a Japanese professional wrestler. You've got more choice than ever before and can just choose a game that gives you the tools to play the kind of game you like.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

*walks into a basketball court* Ah, time to enjoy some football.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

went to a mexican restaurant, they didn't even sell sushi, who the gently caress do these people think they are

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Gonna get me the latest Star Wars RPG rulebooks so I can finally play some loving Star Trek

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Acute Grill posted:

I mean, if they want to just roll some dice and kill some monsters they absolutely shouldn't be playing Apocalypse World or really any other PbtA game in the first place. Likewise you shouldn't run D&D if you want to run a game about being a Japanese professional wrestler. You've got more choice than ever before and can just choose a game that gives you the tools to play the kind of game you like.

Yeah, that’s exactly my point: anyone wanting to write complex characters instead of just combat avatars is probably going to want to come up with all the details for those characters themselves instead of having them dictated to them. At least, I do. A game that stresses roleplaying while placing cumbersome rules on what you’re allowed to roleplay seems like a paradox to me. For me, spending hours coming up with a character’s entire life story was half the fun of the game.

But hey, that’s just how I see it. Clearly a lot of people must get something out of these games if they got so popular.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its because you're seeing it wrong, idiot

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

2house2fly posted:

"kill this dude before he kills some other dudes" isn't convoluted

"You can't fly him up or move him in anyway even though you've got him grappled and you fly by just moving up the Z Axis like you're in creative mode in minecraft."

Please if you wish to give me the 'Webster's Defines...' speech for any other word e-mail me instead.

Farg posted:

i watched man of steel (1) one time with a room of people and the reaction to pa kent letting himself die was a mix of confusion and laughter

Him just calmly standing there as the storm envelopes him because sacrificing your life to save a person (Your father even) is less important than sacrificing your life to save a dog is still so fuckin funny.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bakeneko posted:

What I can’t stand are the modern trend of games that micromanage what stories you’re allowed to tell and how you’re allowed to tell them, often forcing things to conform to the clichés of some other type of fiction. I remember flicking through the Apocalypse World book back in the day and being just baffled at what people got out of all these rules about strings and such. Can players not just get together before the game starts and talk about how, and if, their characters know each other? And if they aren’t interested in doing that, they’re probably not interested in that side of things in the first place and just want to roll some dice and slay some monsters.

Everyone is already razzing you for this, but Apocalypse World is trying to emulate a specific kind of Mad Max-style prestige tv drama as a genre. There's no shortage of "whatever. go kill some monsters." games in a format where the "whatever. go kill some monsters." game is pervasive to the point that most people don't know other games exist, either.

And I don't know what you mean by "Strings" in AW. Those aren't a thing. Strings are a mechanic in a Powered By The Apocalypse game, Monsterhearts, which is Twilight-By-Way-Of-Riverdale and represent emotional links/leverage.

Bakeneko posted:

Yeah, that’s exactly my point: anyone wanting to write complex characters instead of just combat avatars is probably going to want to come up with all the details for those characters themselves instead of having them dictated to them. At least, I do. A game that stresses roleplaying while placing cumbersome rules on what you’re allowed to roleplay seems like a paradox to me. For me, spending hours coming up with a character’s entire life story was half the fun of the game.

But hey, that’s just how I see it. Clearly a lot of people must get something out of these games if they got so popular.

Playbooks in AW-type games are just player classes with themed abilities. Them having starting prompts for links to other characters aren't any more restrictive than any background options or class features in D&D.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 22, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

apocalypse world owns

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Everyone is already razzing you for this, but Apocalypse World is trying to emulate a specific kind of Mad Max-style prestige tv drama as a genre. There's no shortage of "whatever. go kill some monsters." games in a format dominated where the "whatever. go kill some monsters." game is pervasive to the point that most people don't know other games exist, either.

And I don't know what you mean by "Strings" in AW. Those aren't a thing. Strings are a mechanic in a Powered By The Apocalypse game, Monsterhearts, which is Twilight-By-Way-Of-Riverdale and represent emotional links/leverage.

They're razzing because they didn't understand my point, possibly because I wasn't explaining myself well enough. Oh well.

Like I said in my other post, the thing I don't like about those games is how they limit character creation and story structure. I actually don't like murderhobo games myself, though I don't have anything against those that do. I just prefer to work with a blank slate as far as roleplaying goes because that gives me the most freedom. And it is just a preference; I didn't mean to imply other types of games were objectively bad or anything. Sorry if you got that impression.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they don't though, we're making fun of you because you keep saying that and its wrong

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bakeneko posted:

Like I said in my other post, the thing I don't like about those games is how they limit character creation and story structure. I actually don't like murderhobo games myself, though I don't have anything against those that do. I just prefer to work with a blank slate as far as roleplaying goes because that gives me the most freedom. And it is just a preference; I didn't mean to imply other types of games were objectively bad or anything. Sorry if you got that impression.

Roleplaying on a blank slate is called "creative writing" or "improv acting." (And even then there are plenty of times rules or prompts are put in place on those.)

The minute you're putting any kind of framework or rules around something, you're not dealing with a blank slate anymore. You're directing the narrative in some direction with some limited number of goal outcomes in mind. There are a lot of games out there now with very light or broad rules that'll let you have a spaceship captain, a time-displaced gorilla king, and Jackie Chan play together on relatively equal terms but they're probably not the same ones that are trying to facilitate very specific genres or stories where those kinds of characters are a tonal clash.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Roleplaying on a blank slate is called "creative writing" or "improv acting." (And even then there are plenty of times rules or prompts are put in place on those.)

The minute you're putting any kind of framework or rules around something, you're not dealing with a blank slate anymore. You're directing the narrative in some direction with some limited number of goal outcomes in mind. There are a lot of games out there now with very light or broad rules that'll let you have a spaceship captain, a time-displaced gorilla king, and Jackie Chan play together on relatively equal terms but they're probably not the same ones that are trying to facilitate very specific genres or stories where those kinds of characters are a tonal clash.

That’s true, the mechanics are always going to limit things to a certain extent. Heck, maybe I just have a more positive memory of L5R 4th edition than I would otherwise because the group I was in was cool with whatever nutty concept someone came up with as long as it didn’t tread on anyone else’s toes.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Joey the Anime Man snags an interview with the author of Redo of Healer. He appears to be an...interesting person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5sr-xdN13I

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Bakeneko posted:

Your problems with Apocalypse World only exist in your imagination. I don't even like the Apocalypse World or PbtA in general but you're mad at a fake game that you made up.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"You can't fly him up or move him in anyway even though you've got him grappled and you fly by just moving up the Z Axis like you're in creative mode in minecraft."

Please if you wish to give me the 'Webster's Defines...' speech for any other word e-mail me instead.

Him just calmly standing there as the storm envelopes him because sacrificing your life to save a person (Your father even) is less important than sacrificing your life to save a dog is still so fuckin funny.

We already talked about how "moving him away" wasn't really going to solve the problem. In fact it was only going to cause more collateral damage because the second Zod gets a chance he'll knock Superman through another building and kill more people. It's almost like there's a direct correlation between Pa telling Clark to keep the big picture in mind and his choice to kill Zod :thunk:

Also Pa Kent sacrificed his life to protect Clark, not to save the dog. The dog was already saved at that point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GigaPeon posted:

He’s 100% correct on Mario Odyssey. Oh boy another moon cause I stomped the ground.

I never got the awe people held for odyssey. Its like the 5th best 3d Mario game. Far from bad sure but not THAT exciting.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Me reading this thread

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Goku would have saved the dog

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Andrast posted:

Goku once let both of his kids and Vegeta's kid die in order to save a dog, so story checks out.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

I never got the awe people held for odyssey. Its like the 5th best 3d Mario game. Far from bad sure but not THAT exciting.
The movement is really good, which is why it is popular to speedrun. It reminds me of Sunshine where it’s real fun to just run around.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Andrast posted:

so goku is costner

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And much like having to kill Zod is a fine idea on paper, the execution of it in the film is hilariously convoluted and laughable.

i think thats kinda my biggest issue with man of steel. there are bunch of good ideas and interesting inteprations on paper. but the execution is a mixed bag on all of them.

Vagabundo posted:

Goku once let both of his kids and Vegeta's kid die in order to save a dog, so story checks out.

i mean death is meaningless in the universe up until like the newest saga so yeah pretty much. that being said. id like to see a treatment of goku and superman just hanging out or maybe fighting a big bad together.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Can we not do the thing where people get super heated over superhero movies

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG7WzStbnzg

Chip and Ironicus recommended this video on FF7R's architecture in Midgar, and it is very neat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bakeneko posted:

That’s true, the mechanics are always going to limit things to a certain extent. Heck, maybe I just have a more positive memory of L5R 4th edition than I would otherwise because the group I was in was cool with whatever nutty concept someone came up with as long as it didn’t tread on anyone else’s toes.

That's what most groups and games are like, unless you're playing with some weird RAW grognard. Rulebooks are rarely ever treated as 100% immutable law by people who play tabletop, because rules tend to be boring and often don't account for the dumb questions people ask all the time. If a DM or player wants to do something outside of the rules, it's ultimately down to the game in question whether that's going to happen; there's no tabletop cop that's going to bust in and punish them for not following the rules to the letter.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Junpei Hyde posted:

NO people aren't allowed to have different opinions on media then me!!! :(

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Junpei Hyde posted:

The only good superhero movie is Blade

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Junpei Hyde posted:

might as well just gas the thread then if you're going to stop people from using it for its primary purpose tbh

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGG6YF-THVE

Id like to see superman try this

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alacron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG7WzStbnzg

Chip and Ironicus recommended this video on FF7R's architecture in Midgar, and it is very neat.

To jump on the subject of the architecture in the Remake: I will admit that getting away from the super industrial look of the original Mako reactor look was a bit of a bummer for the more sleeker designs but that's probably due to technical reasons as the backgrounds in the original game were pretty detailed so that'd probably take too long to fully model and destroy performance with the amount of geometry that it'd have to render.

The discourse around FF7Remake in the launch window sure was something because you had folks go super hard over changes like that and how it "ruined" the aesthetics.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 23, 2021

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Much as Yahweh gave us the Christ, so too did 4e give us Gamma World 7e. Amen.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

SkeletonHero posted:

Much as Yahweh gave us the Christ, so too did 4e give us Gamma World 7e. Amen.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On2-7bgfXhk

Clint lifts an 18 foot snake. Powerful.