Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The biggest drawback I can see is that the vmu is fully integrated into the unit. Seems like it's gonna limit what you can play without having to constantly delete saves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

I think that custom portable ps2 was like $500 as well (maybe more).

Also a new handheld has entered the market

https://youtu.be/5pPzwByK2Ck

Yes it’s expensive but the screen is lol huge.

The device is actually pretty huge and I’m not quite sure it would be super comfortable. It’s also a bit pricy.

I am pretty happy with my Aya Neo pre order even with this thing coming out. The intel iGPUs are getting really good but their drivers leave a lot to be desired. Also the intel power consumption is off the charts which again leaves a lot to be desired in a handheld.

At least with AMD you can change the TDP on the fly and get significantly improved battery life if you are playing low powered games.

With emulation on these things you absolutely have to limit the TDP or the emulator will gobble as much power as it can even if it’s not needed.

I think it’s 800+ bucks but I like how good these are starting to look.

If they drop an ultra powerful 4:3 that can do everything up to PS2/GC I’d seriously consider it but I have no interest in emulating anything newer than that so a 16:9 screen feels like a waste of real estate.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Rolo posted:

I think it’s 800+ bucks but I like how good these are starting to look.

If they drop an ultra powerful 4:3 that can do everything up to PS2/GC I’d seriously consider it but I have no interest in emulating anything newer than that so a 16:9 screen feels like a waste of real estate.

It's a bit big, but the iPad 3/4 LCDs seem to be popular for emulation. You can even build a mini-"CRT" with the right shell.

They're apparently either 4:3 or close to it, high res and low latency, and the LCDs and controller boards are widely available.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I really don’t see them making one of those portable devices with a 4:3.

It’s just the state of computing these days.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I really don’t see them making one of those portable devices with a 4:3.

It’s just the state of computing these days.

Totally fair.

In other news, RGC just dropped an awesome video for picking a handheld. Thought I'd post it here before stealing borrowing it for the op.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdvSwJ0RZpY

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Where does the sensor bar go?

There was this one which looks like you can "dock" it to use the bar but I just skimmed the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh1vNDcXZbA

There was one called the G-Boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkZLFiFLd8

I have a feeling these were mostly used as portable GameCubes since it is/was easier to source Wii's

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Rolo posted:

Totally fair.

In other news, RGC just dropped an awesome video for picking a handheld. Thought I'd post it here before stealing borrowing it for the op.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdvSwJ0RZpY

Love this guy, he's pretty much been my one stop shop for picking a handheld and the custom firmware on it. I've got zero complaints about my 351v and I don't expect to upgrade until we start getting bigger screen sizes that work well with 4:3 games.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I used another one of his videos to convince myself to swap my stock 351V to 351Elec. Will post trip report when I’m done backing up my current SD cards.

I want custom ports like Undertale and Diablo.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I didn't spend much time with the stock firmware but I really like 351Elec. Thanks to the good default settings for everything I haven't felt the need to tweak anything emulator/game related.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CFox posted:

I didn't spend much time with the stock firmware but I really like 351Elec. Thanks to the good default settings for everything I haven't felt the need to tweak anything emulator/game related.

Yeah the install was super easy and after a test I’m just re-copying my rom folders back to the now-ExFat secondary card. Nice thing is it seems to pick up all my scrape data from before so it’s just a copy and done situation for card 2 now that the OS created the folders for me.

So far this is worth it just for the updated dark menu system. Looks great.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
Does 351Elec have a proper sleep function when you press the power button? I think ArkOS does that at the moment which is pretty nice though a little bit janky

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I’m not sure of that but you can select sleep as an option for the screensaver and that works fine.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

infinite99 posted:

Does 351Elec have a proper sleep function when you press the power button? I think ArkOS does that at the moment which is pretty nice though a little bit janky

351Elec sleeps as well as ArkOS does, which is to say sometimes it crashes and in certain cases the controller doesn't come back. It mostly works but always savestate first.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This horizontal 351v clone was designed by one man and apparently looks and feels like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrsJSfzRV5w

If only someone made a real Apple Pippin mini instead of this sad super console x clone/android tv box wearing the Pippin's dead husk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6JWDDhIfCw

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 20, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I've really been liking my RG351V, but have a save state question, which I think is more a RetroArch thing. Does anyone know how the 'Auto (-1)' save state works? Does it actually make new save states sequentially? It's hard to tell what it's actually doing and I haven't found any documentation on it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If anyone is looking to sell their RP2, I am looking for a blue or "orange" one. https://blavity.com/its-time-to-hav...aArqLBhHX6cymd4

Any tips on where else to look would be cool too. Tried the Retro Handhelds discord, Retroid Pocket FB group, and then the obvious and basic Facebook, eBay, Craigslist trifecta.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LODGE NORTH posted:

If anyone is looking to sell their RP2, I am looking for a blue or "orange" one. https://blavity.com/its-time-to-hav...aArqLBhHX6cymd4
What's with the link?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think this is the link LN wanted but also lmao

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968461

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

good link

anyways the “orange” is definitely yellow in person (although it’s the gameboy yellow and not lemon yellow); as far as finding one i’d check out r/retroid and any related handheld reddits or just buying one new tbh

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao that article is actually pretty drat interesting

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im really just looking to get something to play Playstation one and Dreamcast stuff on because it is becoming more and more of a pain in the rear end to play that stuff. I am guessing that Retroid Pocket 2 would be good? I don't even think I will use it portably.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yes, I do not know...what happened, ha. Article is a good read, though.

I managed to get a blue one just by a random stroke of eBay-refreshing-all-the-time luck.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
What in yalls opinions would be the best option for someone mainly wanting to play SNES/Genesis/Some GBA/a little PS1 and PSP and mainly playing JRPGs or platformers, I think I’m looking for a 4:3 screen since 80% of the time I’ll be playing SNES games.

I’m also a sucker for a clean easy to use interface some of the UIs on these devices is pretty ehhhh. Though I know installing another OS is easily doable.

Not sure how I feel about vertical vs horizontal.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Disappointing Pie posted:

What in yalls opinions would be the best option for someone mainly wanting to play SNES/Genesis/Some GBA/a little PS1 and PSP and mainly playing JRPGs or platformers, I think I’m looking for a 4:3 screen since 80% of the time I’ll be playing SNES games.

I’m also a sucker for a clean easy to use interface some of the UIs on these devices is pretty ehhhh. Though I know installing another OS is easily doable.

Not sure how I feel about vertical vs horizontal.

You’re gonna want to look at the RG351P or V if vertical. Note the V has the best screen in class. I recommend it the most if you can handle a vertical handheld.

Easy out of the box and runs those systems great (I’ve only played a couple PSP games but it was fine.) I recommend flashing 351Elec out of the box which is very easy to do. RetroGameCorps has a video on how.

This is the theme I use, RGC also has videos on applying them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rg351v/com...utm_name=iossmf

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 23, 2021

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

blackguy32 posted:

Im really just looking to get something to play Playstation one and Dreamcast stuff on because it is becoming more and more of a pain in the rear end to play that stuff. I am guessing that Retroid Pocket 2 would be good? I don't even think I will use it portably.

rp2 will do most dreamcast and all of playstation pretty reliably; it may take a little while to get it dialed in

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Seconding the 351v and 351ELEC combo. I haven’t tried PSP but the other systems you listed play very well and since 351ELEC has great defaults you don’t often have to go futzing around with emulator options.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

CFox posted:

Seconding the 351v and 351ELEC combo. I haven’t tried PSP but the other systems you listed play very well and since 351ELEC has great defaults you don’t often have to go futzing around with emulator options.

I've used psp for less graphics intensive stuff on the 351p and it's pretty good.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Josh Christ posted:

I've used psp for less graphics intensive stuff on the 351p and it's pretty good.

Same. Just cartoony stuff like PataPon and Loco Roco but they work very well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Does 351Elec not properly save PS1 games? I just died for the first time in SotN like 15 hours in at castle 2 and there’s no save data to load.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I just finished sotn over the weekend and it worked fine for me. I’m not sure what would be the problem there.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CFox posted:

I just finished sotn over the weekend and it worked fine for me. I’m not sure what would be the problem there.

Yeah I don’t know either but I’m gonna keep toying with it. Luckily I found a save state that was only like 20m back.

Edit: after some testing I think it’s just my SotN rom. Nothing else on PSX is doing it.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 24, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So, I have a kinda involved process I wanna run through. It involves "instant" syncing of saves and save states.

I (will) have a few Retroid Pocket 2s, an i7s, and a GPD XD+ and they all run Android. So, my plan there is just install the Google Drive app, then setting a spot on it as the save and save state location in Retroarch on each of the devices. Should be simple enough.

However, I'm also getting an RG351M and 351V. Those run some variation of Linux. Could I SSH into the two devices, install rdrive, mount my Google Drive, and then just do the same as above and have them all intertwined?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is the PocketGo s30 worth getting, it seems so cheap that it makes me incredibly suspicious. Does it really play every ps1 game, or do some games cause it to poo poo itself (everything says it plays PS1 games and then the battle transitions in Chrono Cross come along and make them humble).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

RichterIX posted:

Is the PocketGo s30 worth getting, it seems so cheap that it makes me incredibly suspicious. Does it really play every ps1 game, or do some games cause it to poo poo itself (everything says it plays PS1 games and then the battle transitions in Chrono Cross come along and make them humble).

I know there were big dealbreakers with it when it came out, I’d maybe check out some more current reviews to see if things got fixed.

One issue is that it didn’t register fast button presses in sequence, so shooting in something like Mega Man would be a problem. Metal Slug would be unplayable.

I would kill for one made by Anbernic though. I love how the s30 looks. It’s such a cool idea.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

valve is making an x86 handheld

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hopefully they use AMD.

Intel is too power hungry and has whack rear end drivers.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I got my RG351M and V today -- the V surprisingly came with a glass screen protector.

Are there any places in America where I could scoop up one for the 351M? I don't necessarily care that it's made elsewhere, I just want to get it in less than a month's time

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LODGE NORTH posted:

I got my RG351M and V today -- the V surprisingly came with a glass screen protector.

Are there any places in America where I could scoop up one for the 351M? I don't necessarily care that it's made elsewhere, I just want to get it in less than a month's time

You’ll also find that the V glass protector fits the screen perfectly. There’s no room for error but it sits flush if you get it right. Recommend using it 100%.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'll probably buy it because my PC is Naaaaaff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wouldn’t mind one. I missed a lot of PC games from like 2010-2020. Most older games can’t hold my attention but playing them portable when the tv is on or I’m on the road for work would be dope.