Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko Full Spoilers
[spoiler]The story is clearly open ended. We're never going to get an actual answer and that's for the best. The entire game is set to allow you to draw your own conclusions. I don't think a story that's ultimately one of hope and living on in the face of tragedy gains anything by having the most tragic figure in it kill themselves at the finishing bell.

I could argue all day for Ikuko = Sayo. And I'm sure some of you could counter me on nearly every ground, however denying someone else's interpolation of events based solely on how you personally interpret a character or characters goes against the core theming of the game.

There's a reason the game ends with Ange having to interpret a simple trick with either magic or deception. We as readers must also take a leap of faith and trust that the author has given us enough to fully believe in our own interpretation of the ending.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Continuing the umineko ending talk: So many people in here disrespecting both Sayo and Ikuko, I swear. 1) Ikuko is her own character. To erase her sucks. 2) If Ikuko = Sayo, there's no clear way to explain the discrepancy between Ikuko and Lion. We know how Sayo would choose to present without outside pressure. 3) To accept this would basically poo poo on everything Umineko was trying to say with regards to gender, and that really sucks.

This is unnecessarily hostile. I'm not making GBS threads on anything in Umineko or how Sayo chooses to present themselves to the world. Lion grew up in separate circumstances to what Sayo did and lived a different life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Umineko 3 mid-point

Just stopped to eat dinner, after learning of the second mansion and the conversation that happened in 1967.

Well, Battler pretty much said what I said earlier, that there could be a whole group of people operating out of the forest. And the mansion is a possibility. But I also am thinking of an episode of the Young Kindaichi Case Files where the episode involved a huge trick, where the group got swapped from one building to another nearly identical building while they were asleep. A twist on that level isn't beyond this game, so I'm curious to see if it gets proposed. Since I persist that some sort of sleep inducement is used on the first 6 victims, it seems possible that it could be used on everyone, and then the culprit and his accomplices could move everyone to the other mansion.

The only reason for a plot device that absurd is if the other mansion is in fact an identical building but with a couple of key differences that aid the culprit-- additional master keys, additional personal/guest keys, rooms not on a blueprint, etc.

I had also been thinking about the other kind of plot device in this kind of setup, where there is a hidden tunnel underneath the mansions that connect each other, I'm curious if that possibility will be raised as well.

e: interesting.. it does seem like the servants are aware of the previous games or are at least capable of retaining knowledge or growth from them

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 23, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Procrastine posted:

Umineko Episode 3 (end)

God loving drat it this entire Eva-B thing was a ploy arggggggghhhhhhhhhhh
I'm so mad at myself for falling for it
Beatrice you're the worst!!!
But she is the best at being the worst

I like the first two EPs a lot but this was when I knew I was in love.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I like the first two EPs a lot but this was when I knew I was in love.

The way they call it out at the very beginning only for you to get so ensconced in the story that you forget that Virgilla literally told you the plan when you started was stellar

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The game itself is open ended but there's a chapter of the manga that spells everything out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raelle posted:

[Umineko Full Spoilers] I'm not going to lie, it's really hard for me to believe that people who subscribe to Ikuko being Yasu have true understanding of Yasu's character and her psychology.

Also, that character legitimately takes time and effort to process and fully understand! Theories about Yasu and her outcome are FORBIDDEN until you carefully go back and re-read the question arcs at minimum. This is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Agreed; I think what frequently happens with Umineko is that it's absolutely possible for someone to still enjoy it without even really fully understanding what's going on*, and saying "you're enjoying this wrong" makes me feel like a dick (but is also something I think is true).

* Though I do think that the specific wrong/limited understanding some people come away with is kind of weird, because it usually involves reading Yasu's motivations as just "she was sad about Battler not coming back," and I don't get how they understand her actions through this lens. In some ways, the people who come away from the story thinking "it doesn't make sense that she would plan such a crime just because Battler stopped visiting" are closer to understanding things, since that's a reasonable question to ask that has reasonable answers within "the text."

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Procrastine posted:

Umineko Episode 3 (end)

I choose to believe that specifically stating "no trained orangutans" is because this was a theory the author saw online between episodes 2 and 3

Like many things in Umineko it's a reference to classic detective fiction, in this case Edgar Allen Poe's Murder on The Rue Morgue

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK I finished Lady in Mystery, 10/10, greatest VN ever.

Honestly a lot of it is just designed to appeal to me so I got too much bias. 1. Its about lesbians 2. Its mystery themed 3. I love disguise motifs in stories. While my favorite is prince and the pauper stuff, women disguising themselves as men in historical fiction is pretty high up there.

The TL is roughhhh in places, so expect that. Also the mysteries are something you are more of a passive observer to, don't expect something like umineko where the game is going to challenge you to do your own detective work. And there are some tone issues, and one route feels like its from an entirely different vn at the end.

It made me smile a lot. And all the love interests are nearly as equally as charming, I would have a hard time saying my favorite.

I mean just look at this, Woman disguised as a male detective x Woman disguised as a male thief~ Wow! What more do you want!

If you hate it don't blame me! It was literally created just for me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Agreed; I think what frequently happens with Umineko is that it's absolutely possible for someone to still enjoy it without even really fully understanding what's going on*, and saying "you're enjoying this wrong" makes me feel like a dick (but is also something I think is true).

* Though I do think that the specific wrong/limited understanding some people come away with is kind of weird, because it usually involves reading Yasu's motivations as just "she was sad about Battler not coming back," and I don't get how they understand her actions through this lens. In some ways, the people who come away from the story thinking "it doesn't make sense that she would plan such a crime just because Battler stopped visiting" are closer to understanding things, since that's a reasonable question to ask that has reasonable answers within "the text."

Ytlaya posted:

Full Umineko Spoilers
I don't know if this is directed at me, but that in no ways is why I think she chose to live at the end. Rather the miracle of Battler coming back is a literary device to show that the miracle occurred. Thinking Sayo is just sad that Battler didn't come back is also not at all what I think

To put it in character terms we have two other times that a someone has decided to stop living. Kinzo at the start of the War, and Ange on top of the building. They've resigned themselves to their fate the same way the Edmond Dantes did in the Count of Monte Cristo, A work that clearly parallels this novel. And like the Count. and Kinzo, and Ange only in the face of death are they able to make the choice to live. It's worth noting Kinzo and Ange make the choice after experiencing unconditional love. For someone who couldn't even think of herself as human, what do you think she was thinking when she saw battler without hesitation dive into the sea to save her, even knowing that she planned to murder him and his whole family, he still choose to try and save her. What happens next is left up to the reader.

Umineko is clearly designed to be viewed through a Post Structuralist lens, I'm literally down at any time or place to debate the how what and why. People making GBS threads on other people's viewing of events makes me legitimately sad though, I just want to talk about my favorite work of fiction with other people.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The game itself is open ended but there's a chapter of the manga that spells everything out.

You can just as easily call that another interpretation or a forgery. From a literary criticism standpoint, bringing in outside works or opinions quickly gets messy. For Example Fahrenheit 451 is apparently about TV's being bad if you listen to old Bradbury

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
umineko is for losers now, its only 75% about lesbians. lady in mystery is 100% about lesbians! wow!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

umineko is for losers now, its only 75% about lesbians. lady in mystery is 100% about lesbians! wow!

I just looked at the Grand and a half I would have to drop to buy all of the Umineko Manga and am now in agreement.

Raelle
Jan 15, 2008

Even I...

Ytlaya posted:

[Umineko full spoilers] This was actually exactly my personal experience. I loved the character and the journey through their mindset, but I couldn’t make sense of the surface-level reading for the motive. So I kept digging and trying to understand for months!!! before it dawning on me in bits and pieces what was truly driving the character, and I can’t describe how rewarding and meaningful that journey was. Far more so than some smelly manga chapters that are super reductive of the character ANYWAY grump grump grump!

Anyway, it’s easy to forget how dense that character’s narrative is, that it truly needs time and often guidance for everything to fit. The gender factor is critically important, but absolutely not obviously so on first read, and hell, like a total snob, I STILL think a large chunk of people who grasp its importance still read it and it’s nuances incorrectly so it’s definitely a process.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Gaius Marius posted:

I just looked at the Grand and a half I would have to drop to buy all of the Umineko Manga and am now in agreement.

Speaking as someone who just finished buying episode 8 and had 7 for years, the worst part is actually the shelf space. It's currently taking up an entire shelf, but stored in a way where I can't really access half of them easily. At full capacity it takes up two full shelves.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Umineko 2

Took 6.5 hours to read through

I usually dislike it when people try to confirm or deny other people's speculation, but for this one thing I'll make an exception since I think it's very important to realize. Don't read it if you don't want any outside help. The red text is always factual. It may be incomplete or misleading at times, but it should still be considered factual. You cannot engage with the mysteries and story in a reasonable manner if you are constantly second-guessing every single thing. The red text is given as a gift to the reader as the only thing you can reliably hang onto in search of the truth.

Also this game is unapologetically anime as hell, so I hope you're ready for much more of that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cyouni posted:

Speaking as someone who just finished buying episode 8 and had 7 for years, the worst part is actually the shelf space. It's currently taking up an entire shelf, but stored in a way where I can't really access half of them easily. At full capacity it takes up two full shelves.

Yeah I gave up on that dream when I saw the second volume of ep 1 was 900$. I'm gonna hold out hope for a reprint. I wanna give ryukushi my money but there's nothing to buy!

Also why is there no merch. I want a beatrice nendroid chilling on my desk.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also this game is unapologetically anime as hell, so I hope you're ready for much more of that.
I wish that he could've toned it down just a bit. especially with bern and lambda's love affair. there's some literary analysis podcasts I'd love to rec the novel to. But I don't think that kind of thing would fly.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
so the manga is based on the game right, not the other way round

the game is the original canon experience?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Stefan Prodan posted:

This is true of just about any VN, yes.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

girl dick energy posted:

This is true of just about any VN, yes.

yeah makes sense

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Question about Umineko 3 that I forgot to post before:
Is the Chiester sisters being 410 and 45 one of those Japanese number puns? There's a name for it but I forgot it

Umineko Episode 4 (early):
I swear to god if this ends with Rosa doing anything to Sakutaro to teach Maria a lesson I am going to heap my loving lid

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Procrastine posted:

Question about Umineko 3 that I forgot to post before:
Is the Chiester sisters being 410 and 45 one of those Japanese number puns? There's a name for it but I forgot it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11_mm_caliber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.410_bore

Naturally, there's Winchesters for both of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_37

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.44-40_Winchester

And yes .44 counts as .45 for some reason, ammo sizing is sometimes very exact and sometimes not very exact! (I also couldn't find a .45 rifle appropriate to the time period in my five minutes of searching.)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thematically it makes a lot of sense that Umineko doesn't reveal the full answer. But it also makes a lot of sense that the answer is out there and it's up to you whether or not you want to read it.

There's also one of the extra stories in Hane which doesn't go quite as far. I think it's worth reading, it isn't officially translated but there is a patch for it.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah, although the script for the manga was also written by R07 I am pretty sure.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Who is the writer at Kogado who just has to put something about wetting yourself into all their games and why won't they stop.

I guess in this case it didn't actually happen and was just a sleep paralysis close call but still, for crying out loud.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Umineko 3

Read time: 9 hours

To this point, Umineko has reminded me of Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton.. I know some people will bristle at that because PWvPL is not the best game in either franchise, but it's a very easy comparison to make. Magical thinking vs science & logic. But this episode reminded me more of Phoenix Wright, particularly the final cases of those games, where you have characters going through a major arc, a villain breakdown, and a larger sense of finality (well, until the very end).

It seems like my general feelings of not trusting the narrator from the previous episode were proven correct in this episode. From the very beginning flashback, it's all manipulation. Which makes it difficult to take anything at face value other than the red text. Were the numbers on the door one of many red herrings, for example? This was basically red herring the episode.

This is, though, the first chapter to have a survivor at the end. Now, I had started to think about this about midway through the chapter... episodes 1 & 2 had no survivors. Well, episode 1 said that bodies were not found but Maria's jaw was found. Maybe the culprit(s) in that episode chose to hide out at the other mansion until it was safe to leave the island. But episode 2 said no one survived by the time the seagulls cried... so the killer either regretted what they had done, had an accident, or you had a case where multiple culprits couldn't trust each other over the gold and ended up killing each other in a fight. So in this one, presumably Eva has survived. Police are not mentioned but since they were never contacted, Eva can basically take the gold, gently caress off somewhere and start a new cryptocurrency or something, before the police come to check in on the island.

I'm still not warmed up to the anime nonsense. What's keeping me from just skipping the anime nonsense is my belief that all the magical storytelling and Maria are connected. Because it's basically childish storytelling about people having infinity + 1 force fields and unkillable hearts. And Maria is the only one that interprets the Golden Land for how it is depicted and talked about by the witches. Plus the childish fantasy nature vs the brutal ritualistic killings is a pretty accurate parallel for Maria's two sides. In episode two, Battler is pretty much relying on Maria for support because he has surrendered to magical thinking so thoroughly. In episode 3, Maria is barely seen before the rose garden scene, by which point we see a bunch of wacky poo poo full of especially childish fantasies involving a jelly sea and giant cakes that would be very fitting if Maria is essentially directing her and her mother's own death scene. Actually, given that Rosa never believes her, Rosa's death does feel like a type of childish (if sadistic) revenge for Maria. The more ritualistic killings that seem more matter-of-fact (or that we don't see carried out fantastically on screen) seem to happen to people that Maria doesn't (currently) have a grudge against. I would probably have to re-examine episode 2 to confirm that. Finally, the design of the witches themselves conform to Maria's idealization of what witches look like, that sort of Touhou gothic-cute look. So it's pretty hard for me to not to think that all of this is Maria in denial about what really happened.

Characterization.. has my disposition for the characters improved much.. well, I think the relationship between Battler and Beatrice is fun. Genji is very good but doesn't get as much time to shine in this one. Kyrie has a fun 'badass' moment (I wonder what Maria thinks of her, because she represents cold logic but she has also always treated Maria kindly and not dismissed the witch in front of her). But Rudolf actually can still eat a butt. And same for Krauss, Natsuhi, Eva and Rosa. It's not that I can't sympathize with Eva's situation, but she also could've done what Battler did and just told the family to gently caress off... in the end she's still a greedy rich gently caress like the others. Actually, the fact that it's failsons all the way down (and Battler's one of them, he has no goals at all)... Kinzo basically stumbled into gold, and then the kids just siphoned off their dad to start their businesses, and now they're desperate for the inheritance because their businesses are failing. Pretty much none of them built themselves up from scratch, including Kinzo. And none of them have the talent to be the next head of the family. Beyond that, they're abusive to their kids either verbally, mentally or physically, and they're awful as a family as well. On the magical side, the seven stakes are dumb. The Chiester sisters are dumb. The tsundere witch is dumb. But if it's all Maria fantasy then I guess it's supposed to be.

The mysteries:

The first 6 - I think that Kinzo did call the servants up, expecting that he was in trouble. Most likely Kinzo was killed before they got there, and then they were incapacitated, killed, and placed in the different rooms. I finally got a potential lead in the subduing aspect of the first killing in each game, as Rosa's sedative bottle was empty. Technically, that or the headache medicine (which could easily be an opioid) could've been used in excessive amounts on the victims, or mixed in with their drinks depending on the chapter. So even though I think that the culprit had accomplices in this one, that also helps. The closed room circuit is interesting, because some rooms have doors that can open with both the master key and the personal key to that door, so even though there are personal keys in some of the envelopes, the master key would work just as well. It's not 100% relevant because up until the 6th door is locked, all the other ones can be locked from the outside just fine. But I thought that was interesting. As for the accident, there's going to be a pretty broad definition of accident. The "make it look like an accident" accident probably will not count as an accident. But if I tie someone's shoelaces while they're not looking and they fall, it could technically be called an accident.

Rosa & Maria - If Eva is the culprit (and like I said before, it's really hard to trust any of the narrative outside of the red text on this one), then it's just one of her many assumed betrayals.

Kyrie, Rudolf, Hideyoshi - If the narration is to be believed, then for now I'll go with Batter's theory that Eva & Hideyoshi killed Kyrie and Rudolf and then Eva betrayed Hideyoshi.

George - Again, if Eva is the culprit, then George was likely an accomplice. He is not likely able to go against his mother-- I mean being realistic about it, George would probably wuss out of his relationship with Shannon if Eva put enough pressure on him. So this is another Eva betrayal... most likely George decided he was going to stand up to his mother after seeing Shannon's corpse again, and she was just like "I don't need to live vicariously through you anymore anyway, so, bye".

Battler - Killed by Eva.

Doctor - That's the fun one, isn't it? If the red text is all true, that the doctor wasn't killed by Eva, Battler, or Jessica. But the narrative showed Nanjo being on the outside of the servant's room being killed in the hallway, and the red text says he was IN the servant's room. That discrepancy has to be pretty important. The additional red going over the top to say that Eva and Battler didn't kill Nanjo and weren't involved is also a little suspicious just in terms of it feeling like it is a misdirection trying to hide something else. In fact, there's a red text saying "The culprit who killed Nanjo was neither Battler nor Eva nor Jessica." But "It wasn't one of the survivors" wasn't in red text. And I think that's interesting too. And of course "the one who appeared in front of Nanjo was a witch" was not in red text. This one has a fun trick to it, is my expectation.

Jessica - Killed by Eva after Battler.

The gold room - It wasn't really remarked upon in the chapter but it is a bedroom. So while someone might not live there at the moment, someone could have lived there at some point. Was it initially a panic room? Not likely, as Kinzo's study is basically that. Was it another room confining someone, like an illegitimate child (after all, the way out is locked from the outside)? The 18 person theory is predicated on the idea that someone hasn't infiltrated the family as an imposter (this is briefly brought up when Battler is accused of being an imposter in a previous chapter). If someone kills a family member and then takes their place, that could allow for some weasel wording about the life/death status of a person, and the number of survivors. Rosa's behavior in this episode is particularly odd since it doesn't line up with her characterization in chapter 2, and she is somehow able to solve the riddle almost right after Eva does, a riddle that no one in the family has been able to solve for years. It's very fishy. And it's after Rosa meets Eva on the hidden stairway that everything starts to go way south. The question is whether Eva really is just a sociopath or whether she was 'replaced' (or Rosa). Also, maybe this is something that'll come into play in one of the other chapters, but a person could essentially be locked in the golden room; it's a convenient location to keep someone because no one else knows about it.

e: one last thing, Hideyoshi's obit says "That was careless of me. Didn't think you were still alive.....", Hideyoshi's character/backstory may need to be investigated as well since he has been very careful to act as a jovial outsider to all the madness and has just gone with the flow. If any character would do that trope of "the loveable character you liked IS THE FINAL BAD GUY", it'd probably be him. BUT that phrase could also mean that it wasn't actually Hideyoshi killed there but someone else who was presumed dead.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 23, 2021

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Man it is fun watching someone theory-crafting after chapter 4 of Umineko

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

Man it is fun watching someone theory-crafting after chapter 4 of Umineko

I thought I'd have more time once I beat the game.
Amazing how the second you beat the game, you end up becoming another viewer like Featherine, constantly searching for people to read and interpret the tale for you

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Umineko ch4 pt1

I think to this point I've only been one step ahead of the story, so at the very least this novel does satisfy the locked room mystery unwritten rules. Previously I had mentioned that an intruder or replacement could foil the 18 person theory and it was brought up as one of Battler's first points. I had also stated that I felt most of the anime nonsense narrative was all from Maria, basically buried in layer after layer of denial and fantasy.

What puts a bit of a pin in the balloon is that we get so much time from Ange's perspective in 1998 (I've stopped right after the stuffed animal got a human form)... it's hard for me to go "this is all Maria's story, and Maria was a survivor who couldn't handle the truth of what happened" if Ange gets so much screentime with all these new characters. That said, there's something a little suspicious about Ange having Maria's diary that makes even this narrative feel like it is not real and just another way to examine Maria. I do not think it is very likely for a 6 year old Ange to be able to get Maria's diary... the personal effects of the family would maybe go to Eva, but I do not think that Eva would want anything that would either remind her of that time (if she is innocent) or implicate her in the crimes, and surely with her paranoia there's no way she would allow any kind of diary documenting that conference to survive, even if a child wrote it. So from my perspective there is just no way the diary would still exist, and no way that Ange would be able to go to the island to get it while under Eva's strict supervision. Even just the concept of Maria telling her about Fragments is from that same delusional pool as the rest of the anime nonsense.

The easiest interpretation for me is that the end of chapter 3 resembled Maria having written a happy ending for everyone, only for another side of her to suddenly burst in and try to pull her back to reality. So you've got the childish Maria that barely talks and goes "uu" too much in chapter 1, the impish Maria that likes to needle people and brag about the witch, then you've got a third Maria in chapter 3 that is far more eloquent just speaking normally and not about the occult than she ever was in the first chapter, and you've got Ange-Maria, the cynical side of her that can't accept an easy out. That's at least easier for me to rationalize than "the author realized Maria was really loving annoying just parroting everyone else in chapter 1 so he decided to write her more age-appropriately" which could also be true but it'd then be a negative mark against the VN.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 23, 2021

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Procrastine posted:

I swear to god if this ends with Rosa doing anything to Sakutaro to teach Maria a lesson I am going to heap my loving lid

i cant loving do this anymore

I had sort of made my peace that there was only one way the Sakutaro plot was going to end but I don't know if I can handle that plus Ange's school life

I miss horrible violent murders :smith:

edit: almost forgot to say, I don't know how I feel about the idea that Kinzo was dead all along and any scene with him wasn't real. Who's going to lament how useless his children are now???

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 24, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Procrastine posted:

i cant loving do this anymore

I had sort of made my peace that there was only one way the Sakutaro plot was going to end but I don't know if I can handle that plus Ange's school life

I miss horrible violent murders :smith:

edit: almost forgot to say, I don't know how I feel about the idea that Kinzo was dead all along and any scene with him wasn't real. Who's going to lament how useless his children are now???

Yeah that chapter is rough but for me that's when the game got a lot better, when there's scenes of actual like moving human experiences instead of dumb anime bullshit and bad people dying

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Umineko ch4 continued

I gotta be honest y'all, I almost tapped out

In the midst of Ange learning how to summon people, and then the bits of them hanging out in the park... it was close to the nadir for me. as dumb as the anime poo poo is in this novel, it's at least ridiculous and I can smirk, but this was chunni nonsense AND boring AND way too drawn out. And Ange is just not that interesting of a character. Her circumstances are unfortunate, but her interactions with other characters are very... lifeless, I guess. And I suppose that's the point, but even as she is opening up to her imaginary friends, that part of her is not really changing. I am interested in the aspects AROUND her, such as the mob aunt trying to kill her. But that's about it.

Of course there were then the brutal back to back sequences of Ange rejecting her imagination and Rosa tearing Maria's doll. Heyyyyyyyy gently caress Rosa, again. The novel isn't good at getting me to like characters but it sure makes it easy to dislike them. But still, it takes sooooo loooong to get to that point. Everyone says the slice of life stuff is important to the story but I don't feel like I gained anything from the hour of Ange hanging out with her OC don't steal imaginary friends.

Moving on to the island. Kinzo being on-stage final boss of the question arc is.. OK. i still think it would've been more interesting to have a more unassuming character step up as a reveal over the course of the killings, such as Hideyoshi, but he's already dead. But this current game is also obviously the furthest from the actual truth of what happened at this point so maybe it doesn't really matter who the on-stage 'villain' is. But with each new demon character introduced, my eyes keep rolling further and further that they might be unscrewing from the sockets at this point. I do not care about yet another bunny girl, I don't care about Gaap. None of these characters get any development because they're all one-note gimmicks.

At this rate I am not sure if I will actually buy and read the Answer Arcs. The third chapter was a lot better than this one. But we'll see, there's still at least another half of this chapter to go. It's just.. I think y'all have a higher tolerance for this than I do.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 24, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Trust me it took me almost two months to get through EP4, it also went from my least favorite episode to my favorite so far at the back half.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
EP4 has a long windup but its endgame rules.

The Answer arcs (which is a bad/dumb name but hey that's how it's getting marketed) are extremely different in format, tone, and content so I wouldn't necessarily try read the boring parts of EP4 as particularly indicative of what's to come. That doesn't mean there won't be different stuff you find boring but or won't work for you but it for entirely different reasons. EP5 is one of my favorite overall chapters so IMO it starts extremely strong.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the problem with umineko is too many people tell everyone its a serious literay work and then people have to come in and be like "what is this anime nonsense???" which the game also knows its nonsense because its having fun with it...

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Chapter 4 is actually my favorite, and was after I read it as well. But this seems to be a deep minority opinion. Well, maybe Chapter 8 now, but they are close.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Snooze you have been on this forum for too long to not know to timg your giant rear end images

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're making a statement.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MegaZeroX posted:

Snooze you have been on this forum for too long to not know to timg your giant rear end images

exactly

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

MegaZeroX you've been on this forum for too long to not know only weak-rear end lamewads use timg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I too have started Umineko thanks to being curious about all the black bars. I've just got to the sextuple murder in Episode 1 but jesus this pacing is killing me. It's taken me 7 hours to get here and I'm a fast reader, or at least I thought I was. I knew this would take a while to get going but there's a difference between a slow burn and padding things out by having every single thing be repeated 5 times by 4 people. to pick a random recent example:

Battler (or someone, it doesn't even matter): Guys, we should leave the room alone, there might be evidence there the police can use.
Hideyoshi: Right, that's true, the police might be able to find some evidence, we should go.
Natsuhi: Urgh, my head hurts... guess we should leave this room to the police.
George: Yup, that's right, let's leave the room for the police.
Narration: They all agreed to leave the room untouched in the hopes the police would find some evidence there.

Also Maria's voice is like nails on a chalkboard and is almost making me regret installing the PS3 patch.

Still, the character writing has been pretty good and now that the mystery's finally here I can see things getting interesting. Since speculation is all the rage, my very early thoughts: one person killing all 6 seems pretty implausible. We're told with reasonable confidence that the facial mutilation was done post-mortem but game's been very cagey about the actual cause of death. I'm guessing there was some kind of apocalyptic fight over the inheritance in the dining room leaving at least two people dead, and the murderers opportunistically finished the rest off + the servants to make it up to a round 6. It's a bit frustrating that nobody in-story seems to have made the connection to the epitaph yet. Also Beatrice is totally real, a witch and my friend, but isn't the murderer, at least not directly.

And I know that this is at least partly a supernatural mystery, and that the tension between supernatural and mundane explanations is basically the entire premise, but I figure I'm meant to be looking at this like a conventional mystery for now