Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I have some friends who like to hop on my game once every few weeks. The only problem is, since I'm the only person who plays regularly, distribution of resources can get a bit weird. Especially since sometimes they will help to mine stuff. I have a chest full of silver that they helped me mine, but it's probably up to me to bring it home. I provide all the food and gave them all the iron. I love the game, but it sure has its quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

I have some friends who like to hop on my game once every few weeks. The only problem is, since I'm the only person who plays regularly, distribution of resources can get a bit weird. Especially since sometimes they will help to mine stuff. I have a chest full of silver that they helped me mine, but it's probably up to me to bring it home. I provide all the food and gave them all the iron. I love the game, but it sure has its quirks.

Sounds like my marriage *rimshot*

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
So, bosses don't despawn. After our failure the other day, we went back to begin preparations for the next fight. As the team was building, we would hear faint rock n roll music off in the distance. As we crept closer to the nearby meadows biome, sure enough Yagluth was just hanging out with the deer.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

Having a shared server with my friends as well as my kids and my friends' kids has definitely made for quite a few pedagogical discussions about sharing, invested effort, resource consumption etc. It's been a lot of fun, honestly.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Osmosisch posted:

Having a shared server with my friends as well as my kids and my friends' kids has definitely made for quite a few pedagogical discussions about sharing, invested effort, resource consumption etc. It's been a lot of fun, honestly.

Ultimately it works out, because they helped me kill Bonemass. It's amazing how much faster poo poo gets done with three more people. Feels like I'm hiring mercenaries or something.

To get the silver down to the shore, I made four carts and we held an impromptu downhill race. Highly highly recommend it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah "impromptu race" that's what it was, it wasn't my fat viking rear end bumping it off the mountain.

https://i.imgur.com/av3SAIn.mp4

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xzzy posted:

Yeah "impromptu race" that's what it was, it wasn't my fat viking rear end bumping it off the mountain.

video deleted

That was a great example of a properly secured load.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Osmosisch posted:

You're not the only one.

It was quite rewarding when my 7 year old son asked for my help obtaining materials so he could make higher tiered gifts for people, which he then left in a chest below a sign in their houses, usually signed with his first initial F.

Very meta, as F has origins in the rune ᚠ, Fe, being about luck and wealth, and the rune poems are about sharing that wealth.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

snail posted:

You're not the only one.

It was quite rewarding when my 7 year old son asked for my help obtaining materials so he could make higher tiered gifts for people, which he then left in a chest below a sign in their houses, usually signed with his first initial F.

Very meta, as F has origins in the rune ᚠ, Fe, being about luck and wealth, and the rune poems are about sharing that wealth.

That's lovely :3:

The signs in general are an extremely good source of cuteness. My friend's main bed now has a sign above it wishing him goodnight from his son.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Building bases is so much fun. Valheim is less about being a Viking and more about being a lumberjack

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Makes sense as the way they handled tree physics is by far the best feature they put in the game.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

Building bases is so much fun. Valheim is less about being a Viking and more about being a lumberjack

This was a huge draw for me, having a little farm with a longhouse, a fence, beehives and a garden is great. Making a fortified base in or next to dangerous areas is very fun.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
What's nuts to me is that a persistent server with say...20-30 players and some kind of goods market mechanic and you would have a really interesting looking game. You could be Vlad the Beekeeper or Ingrid's high-seas metal shipping.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

What's nuts to me is that a persistent server with say...20-30 players and some kind of goods market mechanic and you would have a really interesting looking game. You could be Vlad the Beekeeper or Ingrid's high-seas metal shipping.

Yeah, you could do some varied start locations so you can stumble across other people's stuff too.

I'm basically done with the mountains and just need to kill Moder and move on to the plains, but instead I built a stave church in the black forest at the base of the mountains (and a watch tower at the top) which took forever and I'm proud as hell of and took several hours. Why? Because I wanted to, and now that the exterior is finished I realized I might as well convert it over to a max-comfort sleeping location. Stumbling across something like that (or the small port I'm planning on building on the island, so there is a contiguous road from the sea to the silver-mine fortress) seems like it'd be a blast.

How close will wolves stay in an area if they aren't fenced in? I wouldn't mind moving a pair down to near the church but don't want put up fences for aesthetic reasons.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

We didn’t quite reach that point but our server had two clans that set off in opposite directions from spawn. We traded back and forth and sold each other goods as well as maps for sailing. My clan ended up settling a raspberry farm early on and healing mead became a really valuable export.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tetrabor posted:

That seems like a lot of work and rock when you could just drop a fire in areas of interest.

I was only in the swamp for about two hours though, and that was primarily pickaxing sludge for enough iron to move on.

nah, the swamp is shallow enough that I just level as I walk. Completely trivializes the biome but lol gently caress the swamp without it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The swamp is probably the only part of Valheim I actually dislike in any real way, and I feel like if they just either removed the permanent wet debuff or added some reasonably accessible way to mitigate it entirely it would instantly clear up the issue.

It's deeply not fun being out of stamina 100% of the time in a biome where you generally move slowly to begin with and are under constant attack from all angles.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Just cut paths dude. I stroll through the swamp now and I’m not even in full iron.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rhymenoserous posted:

Just cut paths dude. I stroll through the swamp now and I’m not even in full iron.

You're wet there even if you're not swimming, because it's raining like 90% of the time in the swamp. Cutting paths fixes the issue once you do it, but initial exploration and navigation is glacial.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The thing I thnk would be really interesting to do with Valheim (and our group vaguely wrote some rules for it, but never actually did it) would be team-based play - currently PVP is all or nothing, as is sharing map data; being able to split into teams ont he same world and do, e.g.base assaults or capture the flag would be cool. Dobuly do if it was possibel to have world seeds with a different default non-bed spawn per team.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

This mod randomizes your starting location.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Not quite what I mean - I'm talking about having a single, separate default spawn point for each team.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

thespaceinvader posted:

The thing I thnk would be really interesting to do with Valheim (and our group vaguely wrote some rules for it, but never actually did it) would be team-based play - currently PVP is all or nothing, as is sharing map data; being able to split into teams ont he same world and do, e.g.base assaults or capture the flag would be cool. Dobuly do if it was possibel to have world seeds with a different default non-bed spawn per team.

I think a really cool way to do have PvP stuff would be to have no lasting damage, but have something like artifacts you can stick in your team's base that give some kind of bonus. Like the relics from age of empires.

If we're making wishlists, adding artifacts with random bonuses that you can find would be awesome in general. Either equipment you can use or things like above: like a statue of Freya that makes crops grow faster or something. Something to give a minor disruption to the flow of gameplay.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Kanos posted:

You're wet there even if you're not swimming, because it's raining like 90% of the time in the swamp. Cutting paths fixes the issue once you do it, but initial exploration and navigation is glacial.

The wet debuff isn't much of an impact, it's something like 15% reduction to stamina regen, which is manageable as long as you keep the rested bonus up. The real pain comes at night, where being wet also means you're going to be cold, adding another 25% of stamina regen reduction on top unless you take a cold resist mead stacked with a cold resist armor item.

I've always seen the swamp as a place you're not meant to stay in for any length of time and explore like the other biomes, I tend to put campfires in several covered areas or inside crypts to keep that rested bonus up. It does seem more inhospitable than other biomes, including the plains, which become very navigable once you know how and where everything spawns. Draugr of many types, oozes, slimes, skeletons, leeches, and poison, inability to see too far, restricted movement, and lots of places for mobs to hide means even my maxxed-out viking still has to be somewhat careful, including taking the poison resist mead.

I'm hoping the Mistlands isn't more of that, it certainly has the same initial feel as a dark, dreary, cramped place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mistlands is gonna have giant poison oozing drop spiders raining on our heads, I can feel it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kanos posted:

Make sure you're rested at all times. You can also put down fires in the crypts to get rid of the wet debuff and refresh the rested buff when needed. It's slow, but definitely doable.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

xzzy posted:

Mistlands is gonna have giant poison oozing drop spiders raining on our heads, I can feel it.

It's not a 3D exploration game without giant spiders, I thought this was like international law or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I made my first attempt at a big stone tower, and it's pretty hilariously ugly and lopsided.

I especially like the funny bulge on the seaward side.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

How far out into the water does a wall need to go in order to keep out mobs?

I built what I thought was a comically long wall into the water and yet we still have draugr Olympian swimmers braving the ocean to get around it and waddle up my beach.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How far out into the water does a wall need to go in order to keep out mobs?

I built what I thought was a comically long wall into the water and yet we still have draugr Olympian swimmers braving the ocean to get around it and waddle up my beach.

No length of wall will keep out the undead. Dragur and skeles can walk underwater just fine. You have to make a solid wall, but the good news is that it can be completely underwater.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

snail posted:

You're not the only one.

I can't help but always see that as Gandalf.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Plastik posted:

No length of wall will keep out the undead. Dragur and skeles can walk underwater just fine. You have to make a solid wall, but the good news is that it can be completely underwater.

Fulings swim though. Easiest thing to do is build a little sea wall, only has to be like two feet tall, mobs can't jump.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://youtu.be/ZBRbgHLlqnY

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It's kind of ridiculous how satisfying roadbuilding is. While in the mountains I started a general rule of trying to not use portals unless I had a road connecting them (or built port) and keeping some degree of connectivity between bases. It has certainly slowed down my progress but it was fun to build a road across a mountain biome between my main mountain base and my outpost overlooking Moder instead of just running there. Similarly, building ports, lighthouses, and harbors has been s great distraction.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
To that end, I'd love an overlay for the map where you could see the roads and structures you built. Or see how much deforestation you've singlehandedly caused.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So my girlfriend got a big ol' powerful PC with that 3060 thing. Valheim suddenly runs excellent, but whenever she loads it it seems to pull up an older save.

She was playing on her old laptop pretty much up until I got home with the new PC.

Is there anyway to force Steam cloud to update on her new computer? should we just leave it alone a while?

She can still boot it up on her laptop and see the progress she had made on the seed she cares about.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MorningMoon posted:

So my girlfriend got a big ol' powerful PC with that 3060 thing. Valheim suddenly runs excellent, but whenever she loads it it seems to pull up an older save.

She was playing on her old laptop pretty much up until I got home with the new PC.

Is there anyway to force Steam cloud to update on her new computer? should we just leave it alone a while?

She can still boot it up on her laptop and see the progress she had made on the seed she cares about.

I'd make sure only the laptop is logged into Steam, load up Valheim, verify it's the right save, and exit the game. Watch to make sure Steam syncs to the cloud (cloud_log.txt). Check the Steam logs to verify. Then log off Steam on the laptop.

(Upload files look like "[AppID 892970] Upload OK for file IronGate/Valheim/worlds/name.fwl.old"

Launch Steam on the desktop, but don't launch Valheim yet. Check the Steam cloud logs. See if it brought the most recent Steam cloud save over to the PC. Then launch Valheim, but before entering the game, check the logs again. There should be new rows for [AppID 892970] indicating the cloud save being downloaded to the local PC.

(Also before all this please back up your saves. This is always the most important step.)

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 28, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Another dev post, another set of teaser images that make me go :thunk:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/892970/announcements/detail/3035968700877261598

The first one at least, the 2nd one looks like some kind of "window" or maybe even a medium weight fence

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Teasers are no longer amusing, release some new stuff for this game. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
4 months of dev time, tens of millions of dollars in profit, and no new content.

Not a good sign for the game's future. I don't blame them though- why work when you can just swim around in your money bin?