Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, my main objection is it seems like they’re pushing even further in the direction of “everyone’s a generic DPS” as we saw with Symmetra, Torb, and I guess Hanzo a bit as well. My favorite thing about OW at release was how they weren’t afraid to make characters weird; you’d never see anything like release Symm or Ana or Sombra in any other FPS. Over time, though, those corners have mostly been filed off, and while e.g. new Torb is almost certainly more useful and sane than release Torb, he’d also fit right into Call of Duty or whatever. Old Symm’s gun was this crazy toothpaste laser, now it’s just a copy of Zarya’s (but lovely). And of course the last three characters released were Generic Gun DPS, Generic Gun DPS But His Gun Heals, and Generic Gun DPS But She Flies. Now they’re removing Mei’s freeze and turning all the tanks into DPS-with-more-HP. Just feels uninspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Agreed. I liked overwatch in the height of brig madness. Also liked rein/ana with speedboost nano, goats, orisa poke hell, and all the rest. This is the wrong direction for me. Still looks fun though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lord Packinham posted:

The art, characters and VA carry the poo poo out of overwatch. To me the game is almost secondary.

Overwat h has the problem of the story being 100% lore that doesn't and never did match up to gameplay in any meaningful way

like why even bother?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Overwat h has the problem of the story being 100% lore that doesn't and never did match up to gameplay in any meaningful way

like why even bother?
Yeah, I was not filled with hope when the guy in charge of the story looked into a camera and sincerely said "I want to see just how dark the world of Overwatch can go" with a straight face.

The best case scenario means we'll get some Naked Gun absurdity from the aesthetic/tone disconnect, so I'm hoping for that.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
it is extremely funny to me that five years after the game "Overwatch" was released that the story is at the point of "maybe we will reform Overwatch"

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Needs more Deathmatch.
Seriously, why remove Quick Play Classic?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

mcbexx posted:

Needs more Deathmatch.

It is misery. I just want to chill with a beer and some MH.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

mcbexx posted:

Needs more Deathmatch.

lol awesome now you have to wait 8 minutes to play dps no matter what

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Hang on I haven't played in like a decade but I'm hearing OW2 is decreasing player count? Lmao and my biggest complaint was that 6v6 is fundamentally too few players.

Even after this all this time I still dream of a 32v32 Overwatch experience. Or at least a 16v16 2fort server.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Hang on I haven't played in like a decade but I'm hearing OW2 is decreasing player count? Lmao and my biggest complaint was that 6v6 is fundamentally too few players.

Even after this all this time I still dream of a 32v32 Overwatch experience. Or at least a 16v16 2fort server.

Exactly, I've long come to the realization that FPS games for PvP modes generally work best at larger team sizes, as the smaller the teams the more noticeable an impact someone playing badly(or trolling or smurfing) has on both the game's outcome and on one's overall enjoyment cause when you have say 6v6 it's really noticeable when you have a sniper who can't aim or a healer who doesn't heal enough, while in a 12v12 match a couple players on either team playing like idiots isn't going to be too noticeable a lot of the time, and you can imagine how hard it is to notice that at all in say a 32v32 match

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Overwatch 2: The world could always use less heroes

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I checked my post history in this specific thread to see how long it's actually been since I thought about this game and I hope no one else does because I have made this EXACT post like in more then a third of my posts here it's really embarrassing I think I might be a secret gimmick account.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ryaomon posted:

Overwatch 2: The world could always use less heroes

fewer :colbert:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I checked my post history in this specific thread to see how long it's actually been since I thought about this game and I hope no one else does because I have made this EXACT post like in more then a third of my posts here it's really embarrassing I think I might be a secret gimmick account.

On the plus side it is a correct opinion

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Maybe they wrote the OW engine in a way that allows some higher player count modes in arcade (iirc Tigole Bittles once said the OW1 engine was highly optimized for 12 players max, so they couldn't experiment 7v7+), but ultimately PvP is being designed with esports (and competitive play in general) in mind so hoping for more than maybe 7v7 (2-3-2) as the main mode was probably unrealistic. Also they're still calling it OW so they're somewhat constrained by having to make a game that still feels like OW (16s or 32s would feel like a completely different game).

A lot of people complain about feeling like their play doesn't have enough impact (too much at the mercy of their team), "ELO hell" etc.. 5v5 in theory improves 1 aspect of this, as each player now makes up a larger percentage of their team (more impact, for better or for worse...unfortunately for the "ELO hell"-ers this doesn't address their attitude or ability to focus on their own poor play to improve). Dropping to 5s also means less players (positions) and ults to keep track of, which might lower the barrier to entry a bit and in general make that sort of thing easier for your average player. Coordination with pubs might be a bit easier with one less player as well (just having 1 tank per team to play around might help with this too). Of course one player throwing is now even more impactful as well...

It's really hard to know if 5v5 will end up being a good or bad thing without seeing how their actual implementation ends up playing out. There are certainly some potential positives, but whether blizz can execute and actually make it play better is a giant question mark.

E:

drrockso20 posted:

Exactly, I've long come to the realization that FPS games for PvP modes generally work best at larger team sizes, as the smaller the teams the more noticeable an impact someone playing badly(or trolling or smurfing) has on both the game's outcome and on one's overall enjoyment cause when you have say 6v6 it's really noticeable when you have a sniper who can't aim or a healer who doesn't heal enough, while in a 12v12 match a couple players on either team playing like idiots isn't going to be too noticeable a lot of the time, and you can imagine how hard it is to notice that at all in say a 32v32 match
What you're saying about higher player counts minimizing the impact of poor/malicious teammates is true, but the flip side of that is your impact on winning is also minimized (to the point where it's almost negligible in 32v32 unless matchmaking is super loose and you get put in a lobby well below your skill level). This is fine when you just want to have some fun running around shooting people, but it's pretty much the opposite of what you want for a competitive video game/ladder. More players also typically makes optimal team play require even more coordination, to the point where with 32s (or even 16s) you'd have to join an organized team to really experience anything resembling actual coordination (relative to what is possible in that game).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 22, 2021

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

It's probably going to work in this game's interest to rework all the characters who prevented killing from happening to instead fill their role by enabling killing to happen faster. TF2's medic did this by overhealing to enable more aggressive play and then pop an uber that meant it was time to push. Rebuilding the game to invert anti-damage classes into damage enablers could end up making a more engaging game for people who want to hop into a game and get frags. Getting rid of Mei's movement stopping attributes was a bold cut to make but Natascha learned the same lesson ten years ago. I'm interested to see how the other characters pan out.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Look at this guy that's never filled a cup with liquid heroes

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
It seems pretty simple to me: 6v6 caters more to hardcore players, 5v5 caters more to casual players.

- faster queue for DPS
- More deathmatch-ey gameplay
- flatter balance curve
- less complex gameplay
- fewer ability interactions and ults

And there are more casual players in the world than hardcore players, and Blizzard is trying to make money, so the closer to the lowest common denominator they get, the more money they make.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://www.ign.com/articles/special-report-the-inside-story-of-blizzards-departures-and-a-company-at-a-crossroads

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

blizzard will try literally anything up to and including restructuring the game on a fundamental level in order to avoid the obvious thing a lot of their most vocal fans wanted, which was for overwatch lore to ever amount to anything more than a vaguely connected series of okay cgi trailers and bad comics, and honestly i respect it

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

blarzgh posted:

It seems pretty simple to me: 6v6 caters more to hardcore players, 5v5 caters more to casual players.

Lol.

Overwatch has always been the casual shooter for people who can't just click heads.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

mcbexx posted:

Needs more Deathmatch.

No Mystery Heroes is a loving scam. :colbert: I just came here to complain about this.

Also I miss older versions of Symm, especially the funky moving shield-thing. That was a fun few months.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

adhuin posted:

Lol.

Overwatch has always been the casual shooter for people who can't just click heads.

People keep saying this but raw aim for OW DPS is more challenging than any other game i've played because of how fast everything is.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

adhuin posted:

Lol.

This is a ridiculous take

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Overwatch is Apex Legends for children, yes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Aim in Overwatch is incredibly difficult on account of the instant movement acceleration, multiple movement abilities, and how tiny some of the heads are

It’s a different type of aim but it’s not surprising a lot of former OW pros have found success in VALORANT

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

really wish they hadnt scrapped the StarCraft FPS. YOu can god dam believe that would be like 32 on 32 battlefield mayhem

maybe valve will finally make tf3

someone do something online FPS is getting lame

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Yea like good luck nailing that headshot on a flipping genji or a flying mercy etc. Also wow not a fan of these changes. Like if they are doing 5 v 5 at least get rid of forcing the roles, the smaller the player count and role count the less varied the meta becomes. If a team wants to play 2 tanks they should be able to.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

are they going to enable keyboard and mouse support on console for ow2? the games ive gone up against people using that adapter thing on ps4 were some of the most miserable ones ever.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
They should make overwatch 2 1v1. Also there shouldnt be classes or ultimates or abilities, and you should have to pick up weapons around the map, and it should have bunny jumping

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Games in which an immobile guy sticks a pixel of his head around the corner that you were pre-shooting are not fun or exciting to everyone. That is not a skill that I really care about watching or participating in. I'll never understand why flick shots, reaction time, and in general the ability to put a pixel on another pixel are what people want out of a game.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

xtal posted:

I cut my teeth on Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament, so at its best Overwatch to me feels like basically that except the LAN party trappings have been replaced by a lovely chat and I'm pushing 40 now so there's more booze and worse reflexes. Hence, Mystery Heroes, the one true mode for the semi-casual beer league player.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Who gives a poo poo about aiming play Junkrat

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

All the new game don't let you move and shoot accurately at the same time, which sucks.

*There may also be many old games that also do this, which also suck.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Macaluso posted:

Who gives a poo poo about aiming play Monkey.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Despite a forum post that they'd probably look into the Arcade mode cards on Monday at the earliest, QP and MH are back, babyyyyyyy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

resistentialism posted:

All the new game don't let you move and shoot accurately at the same time, which sucks.

*There may also be many old games that also do this, which also suck.

This is why Apex is the only good BR.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

xtal posted:

this tracks because children seem to be way better at fps games than I am, mostly I assume on account of the fact their brains are physically closer to their hands

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
What changes would you make to overwatch that would make it a cool and good game? Larger team sizes seems like more fun rather than smaller team sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

denimgorilla posted:

What changes would you make to overwatch that would make it a cool and good game? Larger team sizes seems like more fun rather than smaller team sizes.

permanent all modes 24/7 mystery heroes