Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
try taking the pedals off his bike and just roll around on low slopes. worked great when my kid was 6 and super anxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
hey, yeah, that sounds like a good idea!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the current thinking is to start with a pedal-less balance bike instead of training wheels

idk if that's appropriate for a 7-8 year old though, balance bikes tend to be smaller, though i'm sure there's a range
weird. i only saw (or heard of) a balance bike earlier today for the first time

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
well yes, kenny, i assume the bears at your circus need pedal bikes.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

well yes, kenny, i assume the bears at your circus need pedal bikes.
you had that one already dialed in!!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

scottch posted:

try taking the pedals off his bike and just roll around on low slopes. worked great when my kid was 6 and super anxious.

yeah, pop the pedals off, lower the saddle where he can stand flat footed, and just use it like a strider

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

last time I saw these guys I took two tabs. tonight it’s just a can of red bull lol

this bands thing is replicating famous pink floyd tours. like a few years ago they did pulse. and when they do they wall they do the wall the show, with the building of the walls and projecting video onto the bricks as they build them, etc etc.

the only thing I suppose is that sit down concerts exist somewhere in a weird place. it’s obviously not a mosh concert but it feels like sitting down is .. insufficient.

one of my turns has such a great vibe. really feels like should stand lol. poo poo I love the sound of that song. and then don’t leave me know. god drat the wall has a LOT of great moments on it.

it’s not the greatest album because there is too much filler, but there’s probably few albums with as many good and varied moments as the wall

ah yes, the yospos parenting megathread,

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

unleash the dadrock

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
We gotta move these, refrigerators
We gotta move these color TVs

*Nodding head while sipping long neck*

That little f...oh whoops can't say that anymore hey. Back before you popped out it was normal to say. Great song though, even though this part isn't exactly "PC"

*Another long sip*

Back in the day your old man would be down shooting pool to this song till late

*Looks up from beer*

Oh jeez it's nearly 730 we gotta get you to bed champ

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

abigserve posted:

We gotta move these, refrigerators
We gotta move these color TVs

*Nodding head while sipping long neck*

That little f...oh whoops can't say that anymore hey. Back before you popped out it was normal to say. Great song though, even though this part isn't exactly "PC"

lol my dad did this exact thing like a month ago

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Gentle Autist posted:

unleash the dadrock

let’s just cut to the chase: bob seger

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my sister has "irish twins" that are 11 months apart

my sister in law thought she couldn't get pregnant, not because of anything a doctor said but because she was stupid so of course she had a lil accident. 5 months in is when they found out she was having twins. like 3 months after giving birth she got pregnant again because she didn't know you were super fertile right after giving birth so they had 3 kids within a year.

the kids are great but looking at the parents after 7 years I do not envy them and think I'll stick with one. I got a vasectomy 3 months after mine was born just to be sure

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

President Beep posted:

any parents out there have any pearls of wisdom they’d care to share wrt teaching a kid how to ride a bicycle? our soon-to-be eight year old tends to be an anxious kid (chip off the old block) and attempts to teach him in the past have ended poorly.
Seat down to where they they can flat foot, pedals off the crank. Let them zoom around until they've got the balance down. Then brake practice (loosen the front until it can't lock up at first). The mount pedals, but help them with startup (hold them up, push and stay with them. Then practice startup (foot on pedal at 2 o'clock, weight on other leg, go!).
8YO is *REALLY OLD* to be starting bike training IMO. We taught our first at 2,5 and second at 3,5.

ABSOLUTELY NO loving "TRAINING" WHEELS.

President Beep posted:

yeah, we’re a little late on the pedal-less thing for him. that’s definitely what we’re doing for our younger son though.
If they can't balance on their own, you're not too late.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

definitely gonna do the pedal thing with our older son but with the little one we’re going to start right off with a balance bike in a few years

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

President Beep posted:

definitely gonna do the pedal thing with our older son but with the little one we’re going to start right off with a balance bike in a few years
Noice. Puky made the best affordable balance bikes in the EU last time I checked, can you get those where you're at?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Noice. Puky made the best affordable balance bikes in the EU last time I checked, can you get those where you're at?

hell yeah, man. if not in store then it looks like they’re easily found online.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
https://mobile.twitter.com/josiahhughes/status/1395066849700818945
thank's coffee thread

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

President Beep posted:

hell yeah, man. if not in store then it looks like they’re easily found online.
Cool! If you need more recs just PM or drop by the bike mega thread

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
soon to be 9yo wants a guitar for his birthday. Is the 3/4 strat a good option? I’m a piano player so I’m a little lost.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

MrQueasy posted:

soon to be 9yo wants a guitar for his birthday. Is the 3/4 strat a good option? I’m a piano player so I’m a little lost.

get a 3/4 size acoustic guitar

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

MrQueasy posted:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Poopernickel posted:

i don't really know poo poo about this but why do people always say to get acoustic? electric is more compact, you can practice far more quietly, you can set it up so it takes less effort to make notes than an acoustic.... what's the advantage of acoustic? portability?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

bobbilljim posted:

i don't really know poo poo about this but why do people always say to get acoustic? electric is more compact, you can practice far more quietly, you can set it up so it takes less effort to make notes than an acoustic.... what's the advantage of acoustic? portability?

yeah, I used to have a cheapo Yamaha acoustic, and the neck was much thicker than my buddy’s electric. That was 20y ago, though, so :shrug: my thinking is that the electric would survive being dropped by a kid with adhd and poor impulse control. also headphones.

rando guitar seo blogs and dead guitar forums seem pretty split as well. so I’m interested in hearing the why.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bobbilljim posted:

i guess portability and maybe cost?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

you also can’t have a proper game of El Kabong with an electric guitar.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ah yes, the yospos parenting megathread,

a post all about the concert I took my son to..

they opened with animals and it was good, they do an excellent job but imo animals is a handful of excellent ideas stretched too long. and then they introduced themselves and started the wall, with pyrotechnics and other poo poo. gently caress he was so amazed!!!

President Beep posted:

let’s just cut to the chase: bob seger

turn the page live is excellent and night moves is a great song

Poopernickel posted:

this really depends man. electric guitar is a totally different beast. you have to really be into the idea of guitar to choose and acoustic (like does he like ed sherran), but electric, if the amp has gain or you have a distortion pedal, can make insane sounds and probably appeals to a kid way more. just imo as a person who has played for 25yeaes

bobbilljim posted:

yeah.. and get the kid a delay pedal and watch their brain explode

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I had both, and because I played in church I’ve spent countless days playing chords, and I love acoustic guitar, nothing really compares to what a person who can sing and play acoustic can do

but you can teach a kid smoke on the water in a few minutes and .. the rest is usually history

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also and this is worthwhile noting, cheaper acoustics can often be very difficult to play, the strings can be super hard, and electrics, even poo poo ones, are usually way easier to play

get the 3/4

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
get the electric op

and look around on ebay or reverb.com for used

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i learnt saxophone for a while when I was young. gave it up because I didn't practise enough, for one because i am lazy idiot but also because when i did practise i would get a free accompaniment of 'whats that noise' 'its so loud' etc. i see a lot of value in quiet instruments

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I am gonna save up for electric drums. then will have enough also for kids to play and have fun

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

echinopsis posted:

also and this is worthwhile noting, cheaper acoustics can often be very difficult to play, the strings can be super hard, and electrics, even poo poo ones, are usually way easier to play
As someone who was taught basic guitar to woo girls by a friend in college, this tracks 100%

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?
started daycare last Monday, with our first episode of daycare crud the babby has tested positive for two or three different cold viruses

everybody gets a virus!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol. wife is having a normal one trying to get the toddler to go to sleep.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I'm late to bike teaching chat but what worked for my 8yo (we too were late with a super anxious kid) was a two wheel scooter (vs the three he had previously) and going for a scooter every day until he got confident with balance that came naturally.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

that’s cool. we’ve had him on a scooter for a while now and it’s gone well. it’s encouraging to know that it helped your kid make the transition.

there’s a used bike shop here in town and I’m hoping to take our son there on Wednesday to pick something out.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
get a huffy from Walmart that was assembled by someone who doesn't give a poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

listen buddy the only thing I’m gonna huffy is the box of gasoline soaked rags i keep in the garage after the mrs. goes to work tomorrow.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/rivertamydn/status/1396474932452904966?s=21