Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

In addition, apparently the container in the opening sequence was labelled for shipping to Iran, so it's not that we were working on a potential bioweapon with alien help, but that we were done and already launching it off

To that end: the terrifying aspect emphasized is the complete disregard for the long term implications, which is highlighted with the code-names for the transport team being the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

"Then I saw a pale green horse. Its rider was named Death, and Death’s Kingdom followed behind. They were given power over one fourth of the earth, and they could kill its people with swords, famines, diseases, and wild animals."

Another gag I appreciated that was inserted for Snyder nerds was the reborn Jimmy Olsen being reused to represent the U.S. armed forces not only being uninformed of what they were getting into, but in response forcefully burying their heads in the sand to be sufficiently compliant to the highest authority of capital, what is later described by Vanderohe as the prime mover: God.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

In addition, apparently the container in the opening sequence was labelled for shipping to Iran, so it's not that we were working on a potential bioweapon with alien help, but that we were done and already launching it off

This is great, even the inciting incident in the opening is karma in action. they used this unknown extremely dangerous substance/virus/technology as a bioweapon and it bit them in the rear end right away

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The idea that this movie didn't justify a horse moving too fast is very lame. There is not a single moment of AotD that relies on realism... right from the start they're being absurdly loose with their planning, absolutely no one is taking any of the threats completely seriously at any point, and it's constantly being compared to mythology and opera and stuff.

Honestly the movie reminded me of Sucker Punch by way of Stalker or something. Vegas seemed very much like a blatantly not-real dream zone where people go to face their demons, and, shocker, Van basically calls that out explicitly.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Miley Cyrus covering Zombie is extremely offensive, especially doing it in an Irish accent seriously what the gently caress.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Miley Cyrus covering Zombie is extremely offensive, especially doing it in an Irish accent seriously what the gently caress.

What are you talking about

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

McCloud posted:

What are you talking about

Song at/near the end of the movie. Just awful and bad.

Rest of the film was basically fine. I was sufficiently entertained.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Song at/near the end of the movie. Just awful and bad.

Rest of the film was basically fine. I was sufficiently entertained.

That song was by the Cranberries. I have no idea why you'd think it's Cyrus singing

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away or anything. Could have been tightened up and a little shorter. But I liked it enough to see the prequel when it's out and the other stuff they're doing with it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

My phone claimed it was a cover. Maybe my phone was wrong

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

If I had my druthers I'd probably cut Guzman and Chambers out of the film entirely. I liked them but they [spoiler]just really don't affect anything and die so early in the film and disconnected from anyone else you kind of just forget about them.[/spoiler

I was hoping they were planning a double cross and the guy who quit earlier had made his way to the safe earlier. I was hoping for anything approaching the thrills of the traditional heist movie.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Well I'm a bit embarrassed. For shame google for misattributing the song.

Movie was fine tho.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
at least we can all agree that road head is the REAL villain of the movie

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

heckyeahpathy posted:

at least we can all agree that road head is the REAL villain of the movie

Dude did not respect the rules of the road head at all.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

This is a 6/10 movie, which I'm instead giving a 7/10 because the cinematography is solid. The dreamlike, cheerfully lazy "ah gently caress it" ethos is one of only two things particularly worth noting; proving that Sean Spicer is legit willing to have his dipshit fascist politics called out as such to his face for a fast cameo and a presumably insignificant paycheck is the other. That's a classic Snyder touch, right there, and arguably justifies the entire movie. The light-spirited, brutally violent absurdism is precise in its description of America, and late-stage capitalism in general, so dragging out one of the literal actors in the spectacle of our very real descent into "uncaring zombie wasteland waiting for nuclear hellfire" gets a big thumbs up from me. On that note, having slapstick-tier national guard dipshits in charge of transporting The Apocalypse, on public roads directly adjacent to a major population center, is some great on-the-nose absurdist poo poo. Sean Spicer turns up specifically to confirm that we are legitimately that dysfunctional and stupid as a society. Couldn't have timed this better with Covid. Vegas serves effectively as microcosm/id/preordained tragedy, the progressively lower payouts of the team is both concise commentary and a pretty loving good gag, and the action, while only so-so by the Snyder standard, is fairly well-executed as a whole.

In terms of negatives, the pacing sucks. Once we hit the second act this poo poo draaaaaags. The attempts at evoking sincere human feeling fall brutally flat, and I'm kinda on the fence about how effective that ends up being. I wish there was a gentler way to say this, because it's a legitimate tragedy, but to be blunt: A lot of this is Zack Snyder working through his daughter's suicide, for better and for worse. The film drifts in and out of nihilism, and the scraps of alleged emotion throughout lack the weight to serve as either authentic moral anchor or noticeably subversive pantomime. The gestures towards human connection ultimately only hold this back from being the batshit fever-dream abomination it should've been.

The humor is a weird mish-mash of Michael Showalter, Michael Bay, Robot Chicken and It's Always Sunny, loosely in that order. The aggressive disinterest of "the team" in each other's welfare is pretty charming, even apart from their various active sabotages. I get why some folks were turned off by Chambers' comically unnecessary death, but it's a pretty succinct reinforcement of the point that none of these people give the slightest of fucks about each other. Tig Notaro and Dave Bautista openly discussing the relative expendability of everybody on the team just before that sequence should've clued you in.

Using aliens, robots, and timeloops as throwaway gags comprises the majority of my goodwill towards this film. A $90 million movie going "whatever, gently caress it, gently caress you too kinda" is the exact poo poo I'm on this earth to see. Big dick filmmaking energy right there.

Also, just so I don't feel crazy: The mother's inability to let go killed her daughter in that opening sequence, right? When they got the shipping container dropped on them? Seems like the kind of thing that might be thematically significant, for a filmmaker grieving the loss of a child.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It feels weird that I liked all the little obvious references in this but not the actual movie they constructed around them. The best action scene by a mile is the chola fighting close quarters and you still have like 90 minutes after that.

:laffo: at the guy upthread who said Bautista is the best wrestler-turned-actor and this movie was breaking new ground by having a mostly POC heist team when the fast franchise exists

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

:laffo: at the guy upthread who said Bautista is the best wrestler-turned-actor

fair point. The Rock does a really good impression the Rock.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

STAC Goat posted:

If I had my druthers I'd probably cut Guzman and Chambers out of the film entirely. I liked them but they just really don't affect anything and die so early in the film and disconnected from anyone else you kind of just forget about them. I'd also either cut the Batista romance story or find a way to better interweave it with the father/daughter storyline so the former feels more prevalent without feeling redundant of the latter. And also resolve Geeta's story earlier by having her die/be turned before the helicopter or ideally just remove her entirely and find a cleaner way to get Kate into the city because really... Geeta only existed to get Kate where she needed to be and the film never does anything with any of the stuff crafted to keep Geeta alive until she was no longer needed. That in particular felt very clumsy narratively to me and all told I think you could have probably shaved 30-45 minutes off the film that would have given all the key characters and their stories more emphasis and impact.

I get it. Snyder has a lot of ideas and he wants to get them all in. He's having fun and to some extent that shines through and helps the film. And lots of people will take the little opening threads of stories and ideas and run with them. I just definitely feel like there's a tighter story in there with a little less tonal whiplash that I would have enjoyed more. But que sera sera.
As Chambers had the best sequence in the film, I'd rather they'd have fixed that disconnect than drop them. Hell, Guzman is a youtube sensation, why not push that angle and have him actually film the security douchebag revealing the evil plot? That could even pay off with Zeus finding their camera and seeing who killed his wife, and that breaking a stalemate in the story as Zeus takes him out before setting his sights on everyone else again. Instead of standing around like an idiot, Guzman could come to her rescue, with the two of them getting lost in the horde, possibly ending the sequence with them apparently blowing themselves up.

Definitely agree on the Geeta part though. The camp guard getting paid by the douchebag to bring Kate in as a contingency, in case Ward gets too rowdy, would be a perfectly fine way to get her involved. Does mean retooling the camp guard getting sacrificed scene though.

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I get why some folks were turned off by Chambers' comically unnecessary death, but it's a pretty succinct reinforcement of the point that none of these people give the slightest of fucks about each other. Tig Notaro and Dave Bautista openly discussing the relative expendability of everybody on the team just before that sequence should've clued you in.
They do care about each other, just not universally. Scott and Kate obviously care for each other, as do Scott and Maria, and even Dieter and Van end up caring for each other. I don't see why Guzman should not care at all about his friend/acquaintance dying, even if neither of them give a poo poo about anyone else. Really, emphasizing who people DO care about would underline how little they care about anyone else, and just how much of an outsider both the Douchebag and the Coyote are.

Generally in agreement about the criticisms though, and I have to echo an earlier post saying the fight scenes with Zeus could've been better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wolfsheim posted:

It feels weird that I liked all the little obvious references in this but not the actual movie they constructed around them. The best action scene by a mile is the chola fighting close quarters and you still have like 90 minutes after that.

:laffo: at the guy upthread who said Bautista is the best wrestler-turned-actor and this movie was breaking new ground by having a mostly POC heist team when the fast franchise exists

Bautista has been in way better movies than the rock

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The idea of dumping The Rock (or Cena, lol) into the role of Scott is hilarious imo. It's easy to picture because of how infinitely worse the performance would be compared to what Bautista brought to the table. I'm saying this as someone who never cared about anything Bautista has done in the acting space. This is the movie that sold me on him.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Or the "fake heist" fantasy sequence in this very movie, which gives you the cool "entire team just mowing 'em down together" vibe.

I wonder if the similarities to this Call of Duty commercial were intentional:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A05AnPSC6g

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

teagone posted:

The idea of dumping The Rock (or Cena, lol) into the role of Scott is hilarious imo. It's easy to picture because of how infinitely worse the performance would be compared to what Bautista brought to the table. I'm saying this as someone who never cared about anything Bautista has done in the acting space. This is the movie that sold me on him.
Yeah, The Rock would not fit the role at all. If the movie was "Badass soldiers blasting zombies" like in the fantasy sequence then sure, but not the actual movie.

If there's any role he'd be a good fit for it'd be Martin, though he would for sure not accept it.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 23, 2021

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

teagone posted:

I genuinely don't see how, but not because he's bad in it so much as there's not really much to do with that character so it felt pretty perfunctory?

And also Ving Rhames did it better

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McCloud posted:

That song was by the Cranberries. I have no idea why you'd think it's Cyrus singing

What the gently caress was the song doing there anyways? It's a song about IRA bombings, not literal zombies.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Alhazred posted:

What the gently caress was the song doing there anyways? It's a song about IRA bombings, not literal zombies.

It's a cute pop culture reference, not sure if you noticed because there's about 700 of them lol

Why would a song have to be about the thing on screen, if you follow that logic you get the absolutely dreadful scene in Lord of War where Nic Cage snorts cocaine while the song 'Cocaine' plays

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Alhazred posted:

It's a song about IRA bombings, not literal zombies.

The music video has a billion + views on youtube because it shows up as a false positive when people use the z word search for the living dead. There's a connection

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
One of the few moments that fully worked for me came at the very end of a scene between Bautista and Maria, where he riffed on something she said and made himself chuckle, which made Maria (who was turning away) turn back and laugh with him. I genuinely couldn't tell if the dude ad-libbed and made both of them laugh during a take or he just performed it really well.

I wanted more bits that felt as natural, or surprising. Just about every scene contained a good idea, but the dialog felt like a first pass to convey that idea in a rudimentary and predictable way, and a lot of potentially good visuals didn't land because they stood alone as Lingering Cool Moments instead of paying off or subverting something that preceded them.

For example, it feels like we have countless parts where the movie stops and says "time to watch this special zombie pose while the camera sways at different distances" and everything grinds to a halt so that happens. It's not hard to imagine the ways in which that could happen less often, happen as an unexpected dramatic knockout to a scene, and further communicate the intelligence/ability gap between the shamblers and special zombies in a more creative way.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Alhazred posted:

I feel like Snyder's extremely literal and on-the-nose musical cues are exasperating, and this movie was full of them, but I also know some others really like them and find them clever or funny or whatnot so it's up to personal taste I guess. Like, I thought opening with "Viva Las Vegas" was the most rote and unimaginative song you could possibly pick here. At least go with something SLIGHTLY less literal. Gimme Motorhead's Ace of Spades for crying out loud.

Edit:^^^ they did hit on "lengthy zombie hero shot" an unusual amount of times now that you mention it

Also, was the Lady Elvis Zombie in the intro Tig Notaro as well? I swear it looked so much like her, but that would be such a strange thing to do with an actor who plays an unrelated main character in the same film

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 23, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There is a Miley Cyrus cover of Zombie on her latest album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN6ioPozE5o

It's not bad imo but it's one of those songs where you have to accept going in to it that there's a definitive version that you're never going to displace.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

josh04 posted:

There is a Miley Cyrus cover of Zombie on her latest album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN6ioPozE5o

Which also sums up how I feel about the movie.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Just about every scene contained a good idea, but the dialog felt like a first pass to convey that idea in a rudimentary and predictable way

One bit that stood out to me was the introduction of Tig Notaro's character. You get a fun scene with an immediately charismatic character and a bit of a twist on the "getting the team together" with the person they're trying to recruit needing no convincing whatsoever. And then they cap it with Bautista just flatly going, "She's still weird as ever." Yeah, we know she's weird, the movie just showed us for a straight minute.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Alhazred posted:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's probably my main issue with Snyder. There's like always that extra once over you can do something and say "that's redundant" or "that goes nowhere" or "that's distracting" and cut it. And Snyder just doesn't wanna do that, it seems. Or just can't.

I really don't have a major problem with using a song like that in a hyper literal/not actually the point of the song way if its not like openly disrespectful to the message or anything. But I really don't understand what Snyder is saying there at all.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 23, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snyder is gonna be snydering. At this point I can’t imagine watching any work of his if you don’t like his stuff. He’s not gonna change and nor should he.

He’s gonna be the corny rear end dude he is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

STAC Goat posted:

That's probably my main issue with Snyder. There's like always that extra once over you can do something and say "that's redundant" or "that goes nowhere" or "that's distracting" and cut it. And Snyder just doesn't wanna do that, it seems. Or just can't.

I really don't have a major problem with using a song like that in a hyper literal/not actually the point of the song way if its not like openly disrespectful to the message or anything. But I really don't understand what Snyder is saying there at all.

What's funny is he knows it. Like the interview clip there about zombie he's always like "Yeah this is really distracting, that's what I like about it, I really wanted to take you out of the movie at this point"

Violator
May 15, 2003

Kind of wishing there were Predator-like smiling team member portraits during the end credits.

Feels like a couple superficial references to JL trilogy?

- Caped alien resurrected being with super speed and strength is protecting his kingdom and has his unborn baby killed, sending him into a rage
- Nerdy awkward white guy with unique skills needed to complete the story befriends stoic black guy who uses machinery as his weapon; he’s icy to him at start but they become besties and are willing to sacrifice themselves for each other by the end

Anything else? If he thought JL wasn’t ever coming out when he started production I could see him wanting to implement some of the ideas he thought were lost in that project.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Violator posted:

Kind of wishing there were Predator-like smiling team member portraits during the end credits.

They were at the start!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lemon posted:

One bit that stood out to me was the introduction of Tig Notaro's character. You get a fun scene with an immediately charismatic character and a bit of a twist on the "getting the team together" with the person they're trying to recruit needing no convincing whatsoever. And then they cap it with Bautista just flatly going, "She's still weird as ever." Yeah, we know she's weird, the movie just showed us for a straight minute.

Getting the team together is one of the high points for a heist movie and it really felt flat in its direction and dialogue.

Tanaka should have been a way more interesting character meeting Scott at the diner instead of an exposition machine. The wild card helicopter pilto, the smart yet severely violent physical therapist....the only character that had any sort of energy was the Youtube guy, and even he only just kind of looked at Scott's car from the distance before saying yes.

Lol Macgruber had a more energetic version of this

https://youtu.be/RsgJLVxNwPQ

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/GwenLovesMovies/status/1396163150714572802

I mean, do you really thing the song was put in the movie with no one talking about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That isn't how it comes across in the movie. It comes across as using song about serious politics as a joke or gimmick.