Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Sorry but my brain conjured up an image of a grinder that doesn't have a dispenser bin, you just have to hold your hand cupped under it and catch the grounds

this would probably legit work better than a lot of the hoppers out there where you get so much static the grounds just leap out to spread all over your countertop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or like my Encore where the tiny bit of grinds that falls out when you remove the hopper ends up get blasted out of the hopper receptacle like a shotgun when the hopper gets slotted back in. I had to make a special tray to contain the spray of grounds.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I feel like Kalita filters have been insanely expensive for like a year now. A pack of 200 is like $50 on Amazon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone got some instant coffee laying around that they can test this on? If it works I’m not gonna buy instant coffee but it might be handy to know for hotel stays

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeWyQoBv/

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone got some instant coffee laying around that they can test this on? If it works I’m not gonna buy instant coffee but it might be handy to know for hotel stays

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeWyQoBv/

Pouring water on brown rocks to get brown water? That works. I don't have speakers where I am right now.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

VictualSquid posted:

Pouring water on brown rocks to get brown water? That works. I don't have speakers where I am right now.

It says to not pour boiling water on the rocks at the beginning, but to let cooler water dissolve them first and then use boiling water to heat it up. Says this prevents drink from tasting bitter and burned.

Post also says that this would help with "extraction" but I'm dubious a about that since there isn't anything to extract from instant coffee? But I dunno maybe that's just a miscommunication.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
It's nonsense. The flavours were locked in by the roast level and the original extraction when it was brewed. You're not extracting anything when you're making instant, just re-dissolving the solubles back into water. Pouring that small quantity of boiling water into a mug, it's not going to stay at boiling temperature long enough to do anything that alters taste.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

if I'm having instant I'll usually do cold water or milk first, then add boiling water (though not for flavour but to get it to drinking temperature immediately).

I don't think boiling water is going to affect the instant coffee directly since it's already been brewed and dried, but I think maybe drinking it at 95°c is gonna make it taste different to 80°c or whatever

Gunder
May 22, 2003

You’ll certainly taste a lot more of it at the lower temperature.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

TFW after a week you finally dial in the grind and tamp and pour the perfect shot

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I finally got a scale and started using actually measured amounts of beans and water instead of winging it and it really is much better. its like you get the full range of flavor from the beans. and it makes the process more straightforward

Gunder
May 22, 2003

mistermojo posted:

I finally got a scale and started using actually measured amounts of beans and water instead of winging it and it really is much better. its like you get the full range of flavor from the beans. and it makes the process more straightforward

Yeah, it's crazy the amount of difference in taste a small discrepancy in dose can make. A friend of mine recently got into speciality coffee and simply weighing the beans dramatically improved the quality of his french press. Before he just used a scoop per cup as a rough guide, but it turns out that meant he was making incredibly weak coffee.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

kemikalkadet posted:

It's nonsense. The flavours were locked in by the roast level and the original extraction when it was brewed. You're not extracting anything when you're making instant, just re-dissolving the solubles back into water. Pouring that small quantity of boiling water into a mug, it's not going to stay at boiling temperature long enough to do anything that alters taste.

I'm fairly new but my experience says additional heat changes already-brewed coffee. I do pour over, with ice in the receiving vessel, primarily because I drink half now and half hours later. It comes out a little above room temperature, so I can ice it or microwave it as I like, and the remainder goes in the fridge.

When I was dialing in I tried switching the ice for the same mass of boiling water in the vessel, then used the same amount of 190 or 212 pour over depending on the coffee roast. While the coffee is being extracted it's at the proper temperature but it's then cooled down.

I don't know what aspect is changing but it's noticeable and reminds me of coffee that's been sitting on the burner for a while. Dripped into ice and then reheated works great for me!

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I thought I wasn't much of a coffee method snob, but we were just out of town for a week. Brought my pour-over thingie, a pulse grinder, a non-gooseneck kettle, and the place we were at had heavily softened water. Holy poo poo, the end result was borderline undrinkable from my home Baratza + gooseneck + filtered Chicago tap water setup. So I guess I've come over to the dark side and I'm going to have to figure out how to step up my travel setup before our next trip. Or just bring my Bripe next time.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Why gripe when you could just
Bripe

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gunder posted:

Yeah, it's crazy the amount of difference in taste a small discrepancy in dose can make. A friend of mine recently got into speciality coffee and simply weighing the beans dramatically improved the quality of his french press. Before he just used a scoop per cup as a rough guide, but it turns out that meant he was making incredibly weak coffee.

Don't we all do this though as a morning ritual complete with flourishes, stern looks, finger waggles?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I do it with big sighs while my wife is doing the thing I would otherwise be doing myself.

“Step aside ma’am you can’t coffee like I can coffee.”

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
If I’m looking at grinders for espresso how is the sette 270? Is there anything else around that price point I should consider? What’s the next step up? I think I would mostly be single dosing.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I've been looking at grinders myself and the Eureka Mignon Specialita seems to be the biggest competition in the general price range. There are also third-party mods for it for single dosing, which the 270 doesn't have.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is there a decent burr grinder (wired, electrical) which does not weigh too much and is suitable for lugging around when travelling (to my folks, or the cabin, etc.)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Canuck-Errant posted:

I've been looking at grinders myself and the Eureka Mignon Specialita seems to be the biggest competition in the general price range. There are also third-party mods for it for single dosing, which the 270 doesn't have.

I thought the 270 is suitable for single dosing due to the low grind retention.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dren posted:

If I’m looking at grinders for espresso how is the sette 270? Is there anything else around that price point I should consider? What’s the next step up? I think I would mostly be single dosing.

I think it's an okay grinder for espreso, but you should get the 270W or 270WI so you have the ability to fine tune your grinds.

bolind posted:

Is there a decent burr grinder (wired, electrical) which does not weigh too much and is suitable for lugging around when travelling (to my folks, or the cabin, etc.)

What types of coffee are you making? A manual one would be good for exactly this situation, otherwise if you 100% want an electric one the baratza encore is light enough to carry around.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I have a Sette 270Wi and think it does a pretty good job. It is quite loud if you care about that at all.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

As far as I'm aware, the major difference between the 270 and the 270Wi is the weighing scale built into the portafilter hooks, which you don't need if you're single-dosing. Save the extra cash and get the standard Sette 270. Eureka Mignon Specialita is also great.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
It seems like the Eureka Mignon Specialita is comparable but fairly quiet, I might go with that if it’s also good. I would very much like to not make my family angry when I coffee.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Dren posted:

It seems like the Eureka Mignon Specialita is comparable but fairly quiet, I might go with that if it’s also good. I would very much like to not make my family angry when I coffee.

The flat burr design of the Eureka means that you'll have more of a grounds retention issue than with the Sette. I think, if I was single dosing, I'd probably still prefer the Sette, but if noise is an issue then I think the Eureka is a good alternative. If you're in the US, then repairs/servicing will be much easier for the Baratza grinder. Europe, in my experience, is a little easier for Eureka.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Canuck-Errant posted:

I have the specialita, and while I don’t have any mods, I feel that it works better with more beans in the hopper. The time-based grind is pretty drat consistent day to day so it hasn’t bothered me much and I go through coffee quickly enough that I don’t see a noticeable degradation in quality for the amount of time my beans sit in the hopper.

It is fast, I grind 18g in about 8 seconds I think. The dial-in is a bit finicky, it is a tiny knob you turn and it is difficult to get back into a grind setting once you move out of it. If you want to change grinds often I’d steer clear of the specialita. Once you dial in the bean you won’t want to change it. I dont have clumping issues, it’s very pretty, and pretty drat quiet imo. I feel like it is quieter than my old lovely grinder and much faster. Finding your “true zero” is pretty easy if annoying, you rotate the top burr by hand while adjusting the fineness of the ground coffee until the burr stops rotating, then back it off. Unplugged, obviously. The numbers are, essentially, meaningless and only offer a vague guess at what the grounds will be like.

I can answer any questions about it if you have any.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I've seen some references that Baratza tweaked the 270wi to make it a little quieter and sturdier, but that could be anecdotal.

Generally with the 270wi you will have to keep at least a few doses in the hopper because it pretty much only grinds by weight. It predictively stops the burrs based on the fill rate into the cup, so if there aren't enough beans to keep that rate up you likely won't get the desired output weight.

The grinder is designed so that the grounds drop straight through the burrs into the cup/portafilter, so there is very little retention but not zero. I'm not sure how much difference a bellows would make. There are 3d printed single dose hoppers I assume are intended for the regular 270, but you'd probably still have to rig up a bellows if you are taking it that far.

The grounds come out super fluffy with basically no clumping, which is nice for distribution.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Dren posted:

i had the 270wi and didn’t like it. It’s loud, not convenient to dial in for espresso because of the micro-adjust arrangement, and this is subjective but i thought the flavor was always muddy. The wi is a pain to single dose with as well because there’s no setting except grind by weight. If you want to weigh your beans before grinding, you’ll have to set the weight high, then manually stop the grinder - which it won’t like and it will beep at you. It is also not actually very low retention, there is a ton of buildup in the chute after a while. It seems to be stable between grinds but it’s kind of gross and if you clean it, which i wanted to do often, it builds back up again.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

hypnophant posted:

i had the 270wi and didn’t like it. It’s loud, not convenient to dial in for espresso because of the micro-adjust arrangement, and this is subjective but i thought the flavor was always muddy. The wi is a pain to single dose with as well because there’s no setting except grind by weight. If you want to weigh your beans before grinding, you’ll have to set the weight high, then manually stop the grinder - which it won’t like and it will beep at you. It is also not actually very low retention, there is a ton of buildup in the chute after a while. It seems to be stable between grinds but it’s kind of gross and if you clean it, which i wanted to do often, it builds back up again.

If you long press the grind button until it beeps you can then do a manual grind by holding the grind button. It's annoying. I haven't noticed a ton of retention in the little chute, but a little retention doesn't bother me too much.

All in all I probably wouldn't buy this thing again if I had a do over, but it's not bad. Definitely better options for single dosing in that aren't too much more.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Dren posted:

I have the Eureka Mignon Silenzio, which is pretty close to the Specialita, just slightly smaller burrs and no digital screen on the front. It's very quiet, as the name would suggest. I also have very little problems single dosing with it. I only add ~0.3 grams of extra coffee per dose to offset the grinder retention. Grind quality is pretty good, though not really good enough to have consistent success with light roasts in my experience. WDT helps with the consistency.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Tippecanoe posted:

Morgan Drinks Coffee

That's the channel I've been idly looking for. I watched a video of hers about latte art I think, and meant to subscribe and watch some more but lost track of it.

She is just adorable :3:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What are y'alls favorite japanese iced coffee recipes?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I got the Eureka Mignon Specialita and the very first espresso I made with it was far, far better than all espressos I have previously made using coffee ground by the shop. It’s pretty quiet too.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Dren posted:

I got the Eureka Mignon Specialita and the very first espresso I made with it was far, far better than all espressos I have previously made using coffee ground by the shop. It’s pretty quiet too.

what color did you get

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sweeper posted:

what color did you get

just black

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
welp, there was a Specialita on open-box sale from iDrinkCoffee

I could have gone for the Tiffany Blue one but decided to go with the standard matte black so I don't have to worry about fingerprints or scratches

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone have recommendations on using 40:60 with the Niche? I’m currently at the red dot but it is still too fine.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Keep turning the dial counter-clockwise until it's on the 0 marking. That's about right on my Niche for a 4:6. I ended up putting a little red sticker on the opposite side of the calibration ring to the silver dot, so I could track where I was going more easily at these courser grinds.

edit: If that's no good, just keep going coarser. It's been a while since I used the 4:6 method, and I can't quite remember my settings.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gunder posted:

Keep turning the dial counter-clockwise until it's on the 0 marking. That's about right on my Niche for a 4:6. I ended up putting a little red sticker on the opposite side of the calibration ring to the silver dot, so I could track where I was going more easily at these courser grinds.

edit: If that's no good, just keep going coarser. It's been a while since I used the 4:6 method, and I can't quite remember my settings.

Thanks, will do! Also, what method are you using for pour-over these days? I'd like to take more advantage of the Niche but have been doing 4:6 for so long that I've forgotten everything else.