Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That's one big rear end spaghetti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mmmmh, but how does it taste?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I did it. I watched all five hours and 14 minutes of Jay Exci’s video. It was very very good. It’s a detailed breakdown of the multiple flaws of the Chibnall era of Doctor Who. A major focus is on the poor and inconsistent character writing with the Doctor and her companions.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=o8_A7n83Rh0

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

volts5000 posted:

I did it. I watched all five hours and 14 minutes of Jay Exci’s video. It was very very good. It’s a detailed breakdown of the multiple flaws of the Chibnall era of Doctor Who. A major focus is on the poor and inconsistent character writing with the Doctor and her companions.

Isn't Jay Exci one of Mauler's lackeys? Hard pass on that one chief

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Jamie Faith posted:

Well, I checked Jay’s channel and it didn’t seem to have anything objectionable on it. Plus, the video doesn’t blame SJW’s or “the Doctor is a woman now” at any point. I didn’t know there’d be an issue.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Can we not do the thing where people get super heated over superhero movies

Has anyone done a video to explain why nerds are so heated about children's media? Like it seems like lots of nerds get super stuck into debating the merits of super heroes, Harry Potter or Pokémon.

Woodywoo01
Jan 15, 2019

volts5000 posted:

Well, I checked Jay’s channel and it didn’t seem to have anything objectionable on it. Plus, the video doesn’t blame SJW’s or “the Doctor is a woman now” at any point. I didn’t know there’d be an issue.

Mauler cameoed in Jay's Rise of Skywalker video, so their friendly at least.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Hel posted:

Has anyone done a video to explain why nerds are so heated about children's media? Like it seems like lots of nerds get super stuck into debating the merits of super heroes, Harry Potter or Pokémon.

these stories often contain themes that are accessible to everyone and do not demand much of the audience, thus widening the pool of people to appeal. children's media is uncomplicated and features little chance of seeing something legitimately challenging

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Woodywoo01 posted:

Mauler cameoed in Jay's Rise of Skywalker video, so their friendly at least.

Hell, there's a 4 hour (because of loving course it would be :rolleyes:) long video of them and all of MauLer's usual cronies complaining about an 11 minute long WatchMojo video. So yeah, please loving stop signal boosting shitheads who pal around with chuds like MauLer.

Thank you.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 23, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jamie Faith posted:

i mean yeah mauler sucks but jay has made some tremendous videos (along with some stinkers but so has every other youtuber). you don’t have to like her stuff but doing a performative “yeah i’m not gonna watch this :smug:” is pretty obnoxious

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

watho posted:

i mean yeah mauler sucks but jay has made some tremendous videos (along with some stinkers but so has every other youtuber). you don’t have to like her stuff but doing a performative “yeah i’m not gonna watch this :smug:” is pretty obnoxious

I mean anyone who hangs around someone like Mauler (who has people like holocaust deniers on his show) is super gross imo :shrug: I'm not being performative. It genuinely makes me go :chloe: to see someone like that get posted here tbh

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

volts5000 posted:

The section laying out the portions of the doctor's personality that run between series was pretty good. I think the fact that some things change about the doctor so immensely between regens distracts from the things that carry between them, and that definitely wasn't something that felt like the people writing for the 13th doctor really understood how to nail down.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hel posted:

I'll save the video: because people are tribal apes living in a system that economically discourages natural communal bonds but identifies the need for them as another avenue of exploitation and so sells people an empty community under the guise of brand loyalty.

That or people just like arguing with each other.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People fixate on things from their childhoods because that was the only time they were ever happy. They weren’t really happy, but they don’t remember that part.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

watho posted:

i mean yeah mauler sucks but jay has made some tremendous videos (along with some stinkers but so has every other youtuber). you don’t have to like her stuff but doing a performative “yeah i’m not gonna watch this :smug:is pretty obnoxious

As opposed to signalboosting chudfucks and the chud-adjacent loser-rear end lackeys?

Here's a palate cleanser

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHy8o-_zR_vHqpPN4uNUvkg/videos

A channel that does videos about South Korean street food. Everything looks amazing, and if I had to sum up the content, it'll be "goddamn, South Korea, you culinary geniuses."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

People fixate on things from their childhoods because that was the only time they were ever happy. They weren’t really happy, but they don’t remember that part.
i don't think that's true because i like things from my childhood and i was loving miserable at the time.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
José takes a look at a right wing "biographical" "comedy" movie about Bernie Sanders. Starring apparent Kamala Harris stan Malcolm Mcdowell because he was bored during Covid.
José- "Reviewing a Terrible Conservative Comedy About Bernie Sanders"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I5PnmNEQOw

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 23, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

i don't think that's true because i like things from my childhood and i was loving miserable at the time.

Yeah, same honestly. But I don’t own 50 Optimus Prime statues and I never wrote a book about how Mario 3 changed my life. My theory needs work.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's decreasing neuroplasticity. The older you are the harder it is to change your mind or develop new feelings. So even if your childhood sucked the stuff you like from it is a fairly concrete part of you.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Superhero junk is way more prolific now than at any time in my childhood. I was obsessed with, like, James Bond, but I ain't making videos about that so I'm going to have to hang a big question mark over this reheated Freudianism.

e: also jfk five hours about how doctor who is not as good anymore. how's it take five hours to say "the showrunner didn't really want to take the job and doesn't have any ideas"

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The internet didn’t create this kind of fandom obsessiveness, but it did make it worse.

Online friendships tend to have a very different dynamic compared to real-life friendships, and this isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it can become that in some circumstances. In real life you might watch movies with your friends but you usually do other stuff as well, and have other things in common besides watching the same kinds of movies even if it’s as simple as living in the same town. But online, groups of people tend to be much more narrowly focused. A community may form because they all love Star Wars, and so the love of Star Wars becomes the main, or only thing all these disparate people have in common. So when a member of this group sees someone else talking about how much they hate Star Wars, even in a completely different place, it feels like not just a difference in media preference but an attack on the very glue that holds the community they’re a part of together.

And the basic nature of online interaction doesn’t help things, either. People are hard-wired to look for clues in each others faces and voices, so being in a situation where you're talking to someone without being able to hear or see them can trick your subconscious into thinking they aren't really there. If you're not careful you can end up yelling and ranting at some person in a way you’d never do in real life, because on some level your subconscious doesn’t quite recognize them as a person.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Yeah, same honestly. But I don’t own 50 Optimus Prime statues and I never wrote a book about how Mario 3 changed my life. My theory needs work.

hey! I only own 12...maybe 13 optimii

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Are people really that mad about superheroes though?

Anyway, one thing I really liked about Man of Steel was Zach Snyder's depiction of Krypton being a dead, stagnant society even before the crisis destroyed their planet.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It seems to be the one sub-genre for some people that disables whatever function in our brains that regulates our ability to endlessly smugly bloviate about how much we dislike "POPULAR THING," as if we're all meant to be impressed.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

josh04 posted:

e: also jfk five hours about how doctor who is not as good anymore. how's it take five hours to say "the showrunner didn't really want to take the job and doesn't have any ideas"

I mean there's a lot more reasons than that why doctor who series 11 an 12 were just not as good and if they want to get it all out.. whatever.
Shame about the Mauler connection though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeafNote posted:

I mean there's a lot more reasons than that why doctor who series 11 an 12 were just not as good and if they want to get it all out.. whatever.

Yeah, I liked Jay's videos until I noticed them breathlessly running in to defend MauLer whenever he'd get into it with Cosmonaut Marcus, typically over the "objective review." Also Jay once recommended this YouTuber who was... very, very mad about Korra and Steven Universe which was also a a warning sign. (I forget their name now.)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DeafNote posted:

# someday we'll find it
# the Mauler connection
# the nazis
# the poo poo takes
# and ableism

Mauler is the mirror universe Kermit the frog, change my mind

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I dunno about that. Pretty sure MauLer would never be able to teach the merits of being patient.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

the "objective review" thing is so funny and its so sad we live on an internet where he was embraced by sad sacks looking for anyone authoritative to tell them what to think instead, we could have had one that laughed him off of it so hard he'd have to spend the rest of his life trying and failing to reintegrate himself into online society for the rest of his life

people who think they've figured out the objective secret to determining if art is good by running it through their brain formula theyve devised are one bad day away from going full time cube

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I still want to see Mauler review The Wall.

Obviously not literally, I wouldn't watch his review.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lotus Aura posted:

I dunno about that. Pretty sure MauLer would never be able to teach the merits of being patient.

Exactly. He's the opposite of everything Kermit is.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

who the gently caress is Mauler again?>

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

BigRed0427 posted:

the weirdo who makes 11 hour videos replying to 10 minute ones and keep talking about how his reviews are objective

fun hater
May 24, 2009

imo the community goal should be to drive him into shakespearian wandering-the-fields insane by gently trolling him into watching french new wave movies or 70s japanese cyberpunk

e: mostly bc of how much of his life he would waste on it. cosmic joke for me only

fun hater fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 23, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Chucklefuck who makes 4 hour "objective" reviews of films and who once did a 11 hour response video to one of the star wars i think

Has famously said thst if you don't watch his entire videos you can't criticize him

Also a racist and a sexist

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The 11 hour Last Jedi review guy. Literally includes 'recaps' that last longer than the movies he's reviewing.

It's fun to make fun of stuff. It's fun to nitpick and be hyperbolic. The problem is that some people just can't stop once they start. If something is deemed to be bad then every single aspect of it must be examined and found wanting, no mater the twists of logic needed to get there. Thats what Mauler's videos are but with a side of smug 'objectivity' where their opinions are presented as facts with tiresome appeals to authority based on half understood film theory.

Its not fun to watch and has birthed a whole slew of immitators who get together on stream to loudly and performatively disagree with other youtube reviewers in exactly the same exhausting level of pedantic nitpicky detail except its worse because its five dudes that agree that a thing is bad but will just agree with whatever anyone else is saying even if it counters the thing the just said.

Jay Exci legit did some stuff I liked and I think they were friends with or at least got a twitter shoutout from Hbomb one time. But at the point he was doing a multipart series critiquing one cinemasins video and making twitter posts about how Mauler really changed his views on critique I just unsubscribed.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

He's a graduate of the school of "pausing something every two seconds to comment on it" school of critique. You know, so whatever you're commenting on is devoid of context and it takes four times to complete your "critique" as the thing you're critiquing actually lasts for. Most notably for the thread he did an enormous sprawling eleven hour response to Jenny Nicholson's Joker video, titled it as a response to that video, then said "uhhhh, idiot thought the whole thing was a response to her video" when she noticed it existed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

He's a graduate of the school of "pausing something every two seconds to comment on it" school of critique. You know, so whatever you're commenting on is devoid of context and it takes four times to complete your "critique" as the thing you're critiquing actually lasts for. Most notably for the thread he did an enormous sprawling eleven hour response to Jenny Nicholson's Joker video, titled it as a response to that video, then said "uhhhh, idiot thought the whole thing was a response to her video" when she noticed it existed.

MauLer also runs into the trap of contradicting himself with his "objective opinions" because it's like three hours later when he comments on something and has forgotten what his original opinion was.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

MauLer also runs into the trap of contradicting himself with his "objective opinions" because it's like three hours later when he comments on something and has forgotten what his original opinion was.

I'm just bewildered that there's an audience for "eleven hour response video to a video about someone not liking a movie".

I mean, I didn't mind Joker but if I ever want to see it again I'll just watch some Scorcese movies and hold up a card that says "also this made Batman happen" at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's basically purestrain contrarianism