Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Also while I am very cynical and hate everything, Roguebooks actually seems very charming and fun and I can't wait for it to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kchama posted:

Also while I am very cynical and hate everything, Roguebooks actually seems very charming and fun and I can't wait for it to come out.

Oh wow I kickstartered that like 2 years ago I think, thanks for the reminder.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

goferchan posted:

Oh wow I kickstartered that like 2 years ago I think, thanks for the reminder.

No problem! Rhapsody brought it to my attention with his sponsored videos of it and it seems to be living up to whatever promise it might have. I really how it handles the party-based combat and deck-building.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kchama posted:

I was the one knocking it for that.

The gameplay's fine, though I'm not a fan of how enemy damaged is handled. Namely it isn't, as far as I've seen, possible to stop damage by killing the enemies who are threatening the damage. Which is kind of a dealbreaker for me.

It also gets insanely hard very quickly. The dev made the tactical error of basing difficulty on the feedback of people with 1,000 hours in the game who want a challenge, so the curve on the four difficulty levels is Normal - A15 Spire - A20 Spire - ahahahafuckyou. If he ever tones it down a bit I'll go back because it's good, but right now Arcanium does the job better. They also just patched in an insane difficulty increase because people said the game was too easy, but a) it actually was and b) they're tuning it back down to sensible levels.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

after one million years tome has updated again wow!! it's pretty much mostly bug fixes, a really weird change to caldera/scourge pits/etc spawning that no one asked for i'm pretty sure, and "Reduce the rate at which rares and randbosses learn new talent trees" so hey arbitrary deaths because you didn't inspect every single monster might drop again. depending on how much of a reduction it is.

only way to find out is to play more tome, a daunting task.

just finished my first clear in nightmare on last patch and tried atamathon for the first time and uh, garkul was a beast huh

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jedit posted:

It also gets insanely hard very quickly. The dev made the tactical error of basing difficulty on the feedback of people with 1,000 hours in the game who want a challenge, so the curve on the four difficulty levels is Normal - A15 Spire - A20 Spire - ahahahafuckyou.

I have been playing exclusively on impossible since it looked like the most interesting setting available and I have 2 wins out of 7 runs so far with one of the other runs getting to the final boss rush but having a bad build for the void guardian I selected. Which seems fine considering that I don't know any of the individual fight mechanics before seeing them myself and I still haven't seen a lot of the cards in action. I've played a fair bit of STS but I wouldn't say that the game's difficulty is unreasonable even on Impossible. Though it's probably true that beating the Void seems to be extremely difficult if you get unlucky enough to not see any major damage multiplier cards (increase bleed / shii by a % for example) in your entire run

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 22, 2021

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Anyone know when Chrono Ark lives early access other than sometime this year

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

SirKibbles posted:

Anyone know when Chrono Ark lives early access other than sometime this year

I had to look this up, disappointed to say the least that this wasn't the fan game that was canceled many years ago that was going to be a sequel to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

I only know this because I had a friend who helped Alex Roe with the music, music's worth checking out too!

https://alexroe.bandcamp.com/album/chrono-ark
https://alexroe.bandcamp.com/album/chrono-ark-lost-to-time

Weird and off-topic huh?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
My no minions necromancer is lvl 21 on nightmare lets go. All the way this time!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Trying to scratch an itch that hopefully the thread can help with. I'm a fan of open-world grinding with permanence - the games I've played the most in the last year have been Terraria and Cataclysm. I don't really mind dying, but I don't want to lose everything I've hoarded, and I really like the idea of storing that hoard in a base that I can pick the location of, build, decorate, etc.

Honestly, something like a more fantasy-driven Cataclysm would probably be the sweet spot. I haven't played much in the OP other than Elona+, which I did enjoy. Any suggestions?

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 22, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Helicity posted:

Trying to scratch an itch that hopefully the thread can help with. I'm a fan of open-world grinding with permanence - the games I've played the most in the last year have been Terraria and Cataclysm. I don't really mind dying, but I don't want to lose everything I've hoarded. Honestly, something like a more fantasy-driven Cataclysm would probably be the sweet spot. I haven't played much in the OP other than Elona+, which I did enjoy. Any suggestions?

Have you played Caves of Qud?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you played Caves of Qud?

I have not (even though I own it). I'll install that, and try any other suggestions that people have.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Helicity posted:

Trying to scratch an itch that hopefully the thread can help with. I'm a fan of open-world grinding with permanence - the games I've played the most in the last year have been Terraria and Cataclysm. I don't really mind dying, but I don't want to lose everything I've hoarded, and I really like the idea of storing that hoard in a base that I can pick the location of, build, decorate, etc.

Honestly, something like a more fantasy-driven Cataclysm would probably be the sweet spot. I haven't played much in the OP other than Elona+, which I did enjoy. Any suggestions?

There's stuff like Valheim (which isn't a roguelike, but fits what you're looking for) and Wayward.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Helicity posted:

I have not (even though I own it). I'll install that, and try any other suggestions that people have.

Make sure you turn off permadeath in the options if you don't want to worry about losing everything, it's a valid way to enjoy the game.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Voxx posted:

only way to find out is to play more tome, a daunting task.

just finished my first clear in nightmare on last patch and tried atamathon for the first time and uh, garkul was a beast huh

the first time i beat atamathon was as a marauder. i used the prodigy ring to give myself the garkul prodigy and then headbutt so hard that it died instantly and also killed me instantly with its damage reflection, which as far as i'm concerned is basically the intended result

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

Play posted:

In case anyone is playing Getsu Fuma Den (? shout out if you are), I just discovered for the first time that after defeating any boss you can go directly back to your compound, keeping all your materials. Just keep going right past the gateways to the other worlds. Before that I could not figure out why the gently caress it was taking me absolutely forever to save up any resources despite picking tons of stuff up from chests. The progression is still super harsh, haven't actually upgraded anything yet out of the 4 options but at least now I know I can actually get decent amounts of resources to help me upgrade.

Yes, this game is gorgeous and fun but the grind is *real*. I'm hoping they rebalance it a bit during EA.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Funktor posted:

Yes, this game is gorgeous and fun but the grind is *real*. I'm hoping they rebalance it a bit during EA.

The art is unlike anything else I've ever seen. Truly incredible imo.

Now with my trick of farming the first boss I managed to get my first few upgrades after beating it a couple times but NOT going into the next worlds. That helped immeasurably, I can get like 5-8 upgrade thingys in a short run now instead of like, 1 (it takes 60 to get the first round of upgrades). I still think it's a bit harsh, but nowhere near as bad as I thought. I just never realized you could take your winnings home with you at certain times after beating bosses.

It's not an overly hard game either. Good positioning, good use of sub weapons, good movement can make killing most of the enemies pretty easy. It's just when you make one tiny mistake it punishes you brutally by taking a good quarter to a third of health in one hit.

Anyone playing Rising Hell? I'm kinda in love with that one too. Getsu Fuma Den, Rising Hell and Orbital Bullet are my roguelike jams rn

Play fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 22, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Rift Wizard is really good. I want to actually get a win in before I try to talk authoritatively about strategy, although I've been getting into the upper teens pretty consistently with a Death Cleave build. Design-wise this is the game I always said could and should exist and I'm thrilled somebody actually went ahead and made it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rift Wizard is really good. I want to actually get a win in before I try to talk authoritatively about strategy, although I've been getting into the upper teens pretty consistently with a Death Cleave build. Design-wise this is the game I always said could and should exist and I'm thrilled somebody actually went ahead and made it.

Glad to see my instinct that you'd like it was spot on. Death Cleave is really good but the issue I consistently run into with necromancy builds is the later-tier enemies that are immune to Dark/Physical (or just flat out aren't living and thus aren't subject to reanimation). On 20+ the summons also are pretty fragile unless you've invested heavily into them, which then leads to an issue where if your summons get blown up you very quickly pivot from a "I've got this" to "There's no way I can come back" state.

I've been following the devs and seeing how they play and it's interesting that they frequently eschew summoning builds. I don't quite understand why because summons in RW are super efficient per mana-charge.

How do you deal with the "stress" of knowing that nearly every decision is important? I like it but for me it also makes Rift Wizard difficult to play for long stretches of time, whereas with something like Caves of Qud or Cataclysm:DDA I can really get into the zone and play for an afternoon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

How do you deal with the "stress" of knowing that nearly every decision is important? I like it but for me it also makes Rift Wizard difficult to play for long stretches of time, whereas with something like Caves of Qud or Cataclysm:DDA I can really get into the zone and play for an afternoon.

i die in an idiotic manner over and over again until i can make correct decisions subconsciously lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i die in an idiotic manner over and over again until i can make correct decisions subconsciously lol

:hmmyes:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Glad to see my instinct that you'd like it was spot on. Death Cleave is really good but the issue I consistently run into with necromancy builds is the later-tier enemies that are immune to Dark/Physical (or just flat out aren't living and thus aren't subject to reanimation). On 20+ the summons also are pretty fragile unless you've invested heavily into them, which then leads to an issue where if your summons get blown up you very quickly pivot from a "I've got this" to "There's no way I can come back" state.

oh also i almost forgot, by "a Death Cascade build" i don't really mean one that leans very hard on summons past the early game -- Death Cascade can propagate just about any offensive spell that meets the targeting requirements, so while other Dark spells are a good default (since you can use Soul Harvest to basically go infinite with them as long as enemies aren't immune, and Death Bolt can easily hit hundreds of damage per shot) it's also an extremely good way to proc Lightning Frenzy or other on-cast skills from other elements (Arcane with Glittering Dance + Teleport is also good)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 23, 2021

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I want to give Fights In Tight Spaces a try or a watch but I can't take the presentation. The art style is fine but making every area bright white really starts to hurt my eyes really quickly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kchama posted:

I want to give Fights In Tight Spaces a try or a watch but I can't take the presentation. The art style is fine but making every area bright white really starts to hurt my eyes really quickly.

I just checked and it has a Dark Mode (Experimental) Toggle in settings.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

StrixNebulosa posted:

I did not realize this is what FITS was and I just grabbed it. I haven't done EA in a while but the aesthetic and gameplay are so up my alley.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh man that's really a huge improvement thank you very much for telling me about it.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

oh also i almost forgot, by "a Death Cascade build" i don't really mean one that leans very hard on summons past the early game -- Death Cascade can propagate just about any offensive spell that meets the targeting requirements, so while other Dark spells are a good default (since you can use Soul Harvest to basically go infinite with them as long as enemies aren't immune, and Death Bolt can easily hit hundreds of damage per shot) it's also an extremely good way to proc Lightning Frenzy or other on-cast skills from other elements (Arcane with Glittering Dance + Teleport is also good)

I'm loving RW and playing around with different spells and builds. My best run has been to realm 17 with most of my runs ending around 5-6 when nothing really synergizes. Starting out I generally check where the first set of portals go and pick a spell that will get a bonus / discount in the next realm, and try to do this for the first 3-4 realms to get the start of my build going. After that I look for Shrines that will really help or realms that are easy for my build and have good consumables.

I've probably only played with about 10% of the spells at this stage and 5% of the skills, so definitely have huge room for improvement and learning, and that's what I love about the game!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I've hit floor 20 a couple of times now but never made it past that. You start running into stuff like "literally an entire floor of Liches" and it turns out that even if liches are vulnerable to your backup element, a backup element isn't really good enough for, well, an entire floor of Liches. :v:

I'm starting to think the real key is going to be to figure out how to create "engines" like the Death Bolt + Death Cleave combo as efficiently as possible so you can diversify while still dealing enough damage to deal with the bullshit the endgame throws at you.

There are spells for resistance stripping but generally they just aren't good enough. Too many qualifiers, only 50% effectiveness, only enemies in line of sight, etc.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Okay, here's a Rift Wizard question that I can't seem to figure out. Why do my spells sometimes just not work on enemies? I keep having this experience where I cast a spell on a target and they simply take zero damage from it, and I'm not sure why.

I've noticed it seems to happen more with enemies with Arcane Resist (when I'm just using, like, Fireball), but I feel like that's just my pattern recognition making something out of nothing.

Is there some mechanic like cover that I just haven't realized exists in the game? I thought I was imagining things at first, but it feels like it keeps happening.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There are shields which negate one instance of damage, resistances, some high-level enemies either have a Soul Jar that prevents them from dying while it exists (mainly the various Liches) while very late in the game you'll find Greater Soul Jars that just pick an ally to make invincible, and there are also enemies that heal each other or regenerate which I think occurs after your damage but before your next turn.

I may also be forgetting some things that could cause that.

Also, I hit level 23 with an Arcane + Holy summoning recursion build, and only really died to impatience and not having a way to snipe spawners at long range. (The level was a wide-open arena with Fire Wyrm spawners everywhere. :shepface: )

I'm getting close!

e: Blue Lions are MVP in general. They're effective combatants, their strength stacks multiplicatively in groups, and they're one of the few truly effective defensive spells in the game, providing you with damage-negating shields.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 24, 2021

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There are shields which negate one instance of damage, resistances, some high-level enemies either have a Soul Jar that prevents them from dying while it exists (mainly the various Liches) while very late in the game you'll find Greater Soul Jars that just pick an ally to make invincible, and there are also enemies that heal each other or regenerate which I think occurs after your damage but before your next turn.

I may also be forgetting some things that could cause that.

Also, I hit level 23 with an Arcane + Holy summoning recursion build, and only really died to impatience and not having a way to snipe spawners at long range. (The level was a wide-open arena with Fire Wyrm spawners everywhere. :shepface: )

I'm getting close!

e: Blue Lions are MVP in general. They're effective combatants, they strength stacks multiplicatively in groups, and they're one of the few truly effective defensive spells in the game, providing you with damage-negating shields.

I haven't gotten as far, but I just tried seal fate and I love it, especially for spawners.
With a dark circle and 4 spellpoints, you get a 15 range, no los required, 160 dmg after 3 turns delay.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

lol well now i guess i know why the developer doesn't favor summoning builds

the final boss constantly reshuffles the entire level, spawning new units and deleting old ones, including your summons

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think the one thing stopping me from getting Rift Wizard is the thought that, with the character building as open as it is, I could essentially find that one build that just bursts it completely open and I would never have to change it from run to run because there's nothing stopping me from always doing it.

Though with the trouble you guys seem to be having it'd probably take forever to find a build like that, so maybe I'm overthinking it.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Arzaac posted:

I think the one thing stopping me from getting Rift Wizard is the thought that, with the character building as open as it is, I could essentially find that one build that just bursts it completely open and I would never have to change it from run to run because there's nothing stopping me from always doing it.

Though with the trouble you guys seem to be having it'd probably take forever to find a build like that, so maybe I'm overthinking it.

The various shrines add big but situational bonuses that encourage you to diversify. And you can encounter a hard realm, forcing you to make short term choices. I'm not sure that you would be able to replicate an exceptional build every time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

YAAP :v:

Arcane recursion builds are probably the thing that busts the game wide open, but the great thing about them is that they can enable anything, and you get enough skill points over the course of the game to build an entire second combo, or possibly even three if you're more efficient than I was.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There are spells for resistance stripping but generally they just aren't good enough. Too many qualifiers, only 50% effectiveness, only enemies in line of sight, etc.
I saw this on the discord and did a double take

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

After reading all the posts on Rift Wizard over the past week I almost pulled the trigger last night but thought to myself "no, you have so many games on backlog already just wait until it goes on sale at least"

....And today it goes on sale :hellyeah:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Loddfafnir posted:

The various shrines add big but situational bonuses that encourage you to diversify. And you can encounter a hard realm, forcing you to make short term choices. I'm not sure that you would be able to replicate an exceptional build every time.

Oh cool that's pretty much exactly what I needed to know. I assume they offer bonuses/synergies to certain spells but not others, so they encourage you to branch out to make the most use of them?

Knowing that + the sale I'll probably pick up Rift Wizard like now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Arzaac posted:

Oh cool that's pretty much exactly what I needed to know. I assume they offer bonuses/synergies to certain spells but not others, so they encourage you to branch out to make the most use of them?

Knowing that + the sale I'll probably pick up Rift Wizard like now.
It's all based on schools, sometimes the conjuration school gets excluded to make sure things don't crazy with summons.

I think rift selection is the RNG of the game and how you handle that is really what you are learning the whole time more than trying to discover a god build. You can actually peek into a rift and then back out, depending on what you see, but what rifts you have available is randomized and what you pick is not only based on how you want to adjust your build, but also what your build can currently handle, and what your item supply looks like. Some people get by with weaker builds just by spamming dragon horns. You might see a juicy shrine that helps your build, but what if you are out of health potions and the other rift has health potions? You make choices like that a lot once you get going. Some rifts have enemies totally immune to your element, or it has a boss that you know is going to give you a hard time, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There are shields which negate one instance of damage

This is almost certainly what was happening, thanks!

I think the number one thing I want out of Rift Wizard at this point is a way to filter spells/perks by type. Looking for synergies is pretty brutal, and I'm increasingly realizing is a solid 80% of what separates winning from losing