Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Cthulu Carl posted:

Someone give me that "Guy Airbrushed Out of Photo With Stalin" pic, but Stalin is GW and the guy is Cursed City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

why is gw like this
The investors need a new stack of $100 bills to light their cigars.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Electric Hobo posted:

I got my Hive War box, and can confirm that there're no campaign rules in the rulebook.

Goddammit I just want an easy way to get into Necromunda without having to buy like 6 things.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Lumbermouth posted:

Goddammit I just want an easy way to get into Necromunda without having to buy like 6 things.
Well, there are some very rudimentary rules for playing the 6 scenarios as a mini campaign, but it's limited to deciding who's the attacker and such, as well as very basic rules for injuries and stat gains. Probably enough to try it out before really buying in, but I suspect that it won't give a very accurate view of the "real" campaign.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It's just one of those things that really frustrates me about starting a miniatures game nowadays. When I got my 40K 3rd Edition box set, it came with the full rules, all the templates and two armies. Smaller games like Carnevale and Rumbleslam have the full rules in their starter boxes, the old Kill Team box sets had them, it vexes me that Necromunda doesn't do the same thing just for ease of onboarding.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

It's just one of those things that really frustrates me about starting a miniatures game nowadays. When I got my 40K 3rd Edition box set, it came with the full rules, all the templates and two armies.
When I started with the 40k 2nd edition starter, I got an ork warbike for the models in the box. Turns out they didn't have rules for it, I needed to buy a codex for the price of a box of models. A while after I got one. Well gently caress you, still no warbike rules, the vehicle datafaxes were in Dark Millennium box, again, half the price of the big starter just for cards. templates and rules. loving welp. And my whole prior wargaming experience was Warzone, which didn't do that poo poo, so I didn't know to be wary.

The problem definitely isn't recent, you just lucked out and started with the edition that had its poo poo together. Still, I miss old Necromunda, one basic set, one expansion, tons of fun. Which is exactly why it had to die :(

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pierzak posted:

When I started with the 40k 2nd edition starter, I got an ork warbike for the models in the box. Turns out they didn't have rules for it, I needed to buy a codex for the price of a box of models. A while after I got one. Well gently caress you, still no warbike rules, the vehicle datafaxes were in Dark Millennium box, again, half the price of the big starter just for cards. templates and rules. loving welp. And my whole prior wargaming experience was Warzone, which didn't do that poo poo, so I didn't know to be wary.

Funny story, some of the 2e codices had their vehicle datafaxes and some didn't and there was no particular pattern to it!

Man, Dark Millennium was such a ripoff.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Lumbermouth posted:

It's just one of those things that really frustrates me about starting a miniatures game nowadays. When I got my 40K 3rd Edition box set, it came with the full rules, all the templates and two armies. Smaller games like Carnevale and Rumbleslam have the full rules in their starter boxes, the old Kill Team box sets had them, it vexes me that Necromunda doesn't do the same thing just for ease of onboarding.

Space Marine came with three armies - orks, space marines and Eldar + a ton of buildings. It was so brilliant that you and two of your friends could pitch in and get it and get addicted.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

This was also my sorta starting point. Really I had bought a couple BFG ships I thought looked cool, but the 3rd starter pack was my intro. I used everything in that box, even the red whip sticks for probably 15+ years. As an easy point of entry, I definitely have that box to blame for so many mini purchases.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Space Marine came with three armies - orks, space marines and Eldar + a ton of buildings. It was so brilliant that you and two of your friends could pitch in and get it and get addicted.

Space Marine and the Epic armies-in-a-box were so good and successful that they basically subsidized GW's complete failure to figure out how to sell 5mm miniatures for two or three more editions, lol

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I got my hive war box and I can also confirm there's no campaign rules, they just say it's covered in other books.

Edit: Also the box is extremely flimsy. Compared to Dreadfleet's box it's a mess. What the gently caress, Nintendo?

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 21, 2021

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Virtual Russian posted:

This was also my sorta starting point. Really I had bought a couple BFG ships I thought looked cool, but the 3rd starter pack was my intro. I used everything in that box, even the red whip sticks for probably 15+ years. As an easy point of entry, I definitely have that box to blame for so many mini purchases.

It was a really good box and even had rules for most extant armies at that point (RIP Squats).

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
my god, assembling these minis is a nightmare (necromunda)

I am so spoiled by the push fit guys and the clanrats I've been doing. These people are so small and so hard to glue

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Holy poo poo I spent too many years away from GW, and I forgot about the fanboys.

Currently in a discussion on the Facebook group about how Necromunda's situation when it comes to rulebooks is not only good, but superior to all other skirmish games, and a testament to GW's grandness as a tabletop game company. And I'm just blown away. Holy poo poo.

That said I'm a sucker and will probably pick up the new Escher plastic equipment kit at some point.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I've found that going into a 40k discussion group and typing the phrase "But why CANT we have female space marines???" is akin to tossing a grenade into a china shop.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I've found that going into a 40k discussion group and typing the phrase "But why CANT we have female space marines???" is akin to tossing a grenade into a china shop.

oh word?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Im pretty sure "Female Space Marines" is an SCP at this point.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

so why are you doing that in this thread, which isn't about 40K anyway

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Holy poo poo in Australia the price of lil Radurkar and the special bad guys is just slightly less than the entire cursed city box. Seems reasonable and cool.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

lilljonas posted:

Holy poo poo I spent too many years away from GW, and I forgot about the fanboys.

Currently in a discussion on the Facebook group about how Necromunda's situation when it comes to rulebooks is not only good, but superior to all other skirmish games, and a testament to GW's grandness as a tabletop game company. And I'm just blown away. Holy poo poo.

That said I'm a sucker and will probably pick up the new Escher plastic equipment kit at some point.

Really. My small group found Necromunda a pretty convoluted ruleset, and that we couldn't treat the house books as "codex for X faction." All the different types of campaigns only confused us further.

We'll come back to it eventually, but more as a skirmish game than a fun campaign system.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cease to Hope posted:

so why are you doing that in this thread, which isn't about 40K anyway

i assume people dont care enough on this site to discuss it

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Considering that hardcore juicing male and female bodybuilders often develop the same square-jawed look as space marines, you wouldn't even have to change the models. Just be all, "That's Marnea Calgar now."

(Yeah, I know that's not the part people who freak out about female SMs are reacting to, just saying...)

lilljonas posted:

Yikes. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Necromunda back from the original edition and love having an entire loving shelf in my bookcase getting filled with Necromunda rulebooks but even other GW products like the original Necromunda and Shadow War: Armageddon were able to provide new people with easy point of entry via a combined rulebook/basic campaign book. I was hoping the new rulebook in Hive War boxed set was had been something like that but from comments upthread it looks like that's not the case.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

No female space marines are obviously a weird legacy thing and the female stormcasts show that if space marines were introduced today there’d be women. I guarantee you someone pitched female space marines at the primaris design meetings and got told “our fanbase would go berserk.”

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

No female space marines are obviously a weird legacy thing and the female stormcasts show that if space marines were introduced today there’d be women. I guarantee you someone pitched female space marines at the primaris design meetings and got told “our fanbase would go berserk.”

Oh well.

Peyote Panda posted:

Considering that hardcore juicing male and female bodybuilders often develop the same square-jawed look as space marines, you wouldn't even have to change the models. Just be all, "That's Marnea Calgar now."

(Yeah, I know that's not the part people who freak out about female SMs are reacting to, just saying...)

Yikes. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Necromunda back from the original edition and love having an entire loving shelf in my bookcase getting filled with Necromunda rulebooks but even other GW products like the original Necromunda and Shadow War: Armageddon were able to provide new people with easy point of entry via a combined rulebook/basic campaign book. I was hoping the new rulebook in Hive War boxed set was had been something like that but from comments upthread it looks like that's not the case.

If you're a legacy player, what were the old models like? I have been very much not enjoying assembling the Delaque and Escher models. I am getting a strong feeling that this game was designed around extreme model customization. I don't like glueing the hands to the arms and then arms to the shoulders. I'm a push-fit babby. Is oldmunda like that too?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

If you're a legacy player, what were the old models like? I have been very much not enjoying assembling the Delaque and Escher models. I am getting a strong feeling that this game was designed around extreme model customization. I don't like glueing the hands to the arms and then arms to the shoulders. I'm a push-fit babby. Is oldmunda like that too?

There are the plastics, which are very much the single solid body with shoulders and feet squared and facing forward, with interchangeable arms. The arms had weapons attached and held pistol-style, and did not do the two-hand grip of many 40K models. A lot of the 1995 plastics were like that. Picture a He-Man figure laid flat. The only models that got plastics were the ones in the initial box set, Golaiths and Orlocks, and the initial box didn't really include heavy/special weapons or any particularly noticeable leader models.

The rest of the line was metal, sold in box sets or blisters. They looked similar to the Imperial Guard line at the time, with single solid-cast bodies and maybe one removable gun part with the glue joints at the wrists. They were easy to assemble - one-piece models tend to be! - but annoying to kitbash, as many of them had the guns molded into the body. There were also pewter sprues of weapons for kitbashing (sold in blisters), something they also did with the later Gorkamorka line despite it being much less necessary there.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Cease to Hope posted:

The rest of the line was metal, sold in box sets or blisters. They looked similar to the Imperial Guard line at the time, with single solid-cast bodies and maybe one removable gun part with the glue joints at the wrists. They were easy to assemble - one-piece models tend to be! - but annoying to kitbash, as many of them had the guns molded into the body. There were also pewter sprues of weapons for kitbashing (sold in blisters), something they also did with the later Gorkamorka line despite it being much less necessary there.
drat, that brings some memories back of all the times I tore up my fingertips while carving up those metal Necromunda models for kitbashing. There were days I looked like I'd been trying to cut off my fingerprints to fool crime scene investigators.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Peyote Panda posted:

drat, that brings some memories back of all the times I tore up my fingertips while carving up those metal Necromunda models for kitbashing. There were days I looked like I'd been trying to cut off my fingerprints to fool crime scene investigators.

Those gun blisters were a genuinely great part of the Necromunda and Gorkamorka lines, though. Even if they were totally unnecessary in Gorkamorka, where nobody had any good idea what a shoota or blasta or kannon looked like anyhow. The Rebel Grots had AK-47s!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

yeah i agree that they shoulda just done it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Back when a big batch of stuff, including especially plastic Sisters of Battle, was announced, there was a frenzy of a thread on Facebook. I had one guy pinned with "how exactly does a box of plastic SoB existing damage the hobby ?" and "why don't you want me to have one ?" The "girls have cooties" faction was out in full force, and they were extremely pissed off about women existing in or near their hobby. I haven't actually assembled that box yet, but it stays close to the top of the pile.

I first ran into this type of gamer about 30 years ago. I was at a Software Etc. when Streetfighter II launched in the US. That was madness. Both the manager and assistant manager love the game and are very good at it, and they loved to throw down with the customers. For a long stretch the rule was "if you have time to lean, you have time to beat a customer at SFII". Fighting games are not my thing, but I ended up as the third-best player on staff (by a wide gap to the manager in 2nd place). That also made me 3rd in line for choosing fighters (we can't all play Ken or Ryu, obviously). With no preconceptions about the fighters, I settled on Chun-Li because I liked her combos and thought I could win more games with her. And I could, getting mercilessly dunked on by my boss for hours taught me a lot.

And then I discovered that some players hate losing to a girl character. This was your classic, meat-on-the-bones and with a long history of perceived injustice kind of hatred. The hatred of something that should not be. I've been a dedicated troll in that respect ever since.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

there's a certain kind of person who just loves Hierarchy. this goes here and that goes there and everything needs to be in its order or else terrible, awful things will happen. this is basically the entirety of jordan peterson's pitch in fact. anyways for that kind of person men have to Fight because they're Warriors and women have to Be Sexy and Raise Kids because that's their role, and if you don't follow that principle then the world is inverted and chaos reigns. usually those people think that way because by accident of birth they're somewhat higher on the hierarchy than other people but they're such appalling disasters in every other facet of life that it's literally the only thing they have going for them.

i may be a mediocre man in my late 30s who exclusively watches anime that's 90% fanservice and i never learned to cook, clean or dress myself, but at least i'm still a Man.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Cease to Hope posted:

Those gun blisters were a genuinely great part of the Necromunda and Gorkamorka lines, though. Even if they were totally unnecessary in Gorkamorka, where nobody had any good idea what a shoota or blasta or kannon looked like anyhow. The Rebel Grots had AK-47s!
Agreed! In fact, now that I've been getting back into the hobby I've been slowly grabbing up some of the old models to recreate some of my nostalgic favorite mods from back in the day. Fortunately I now have proper tools and a better idea what I'm doing so I can get the same results with looking like I'm working on my hand-model cosplay of Darkman.

I was thrilled that one of the first sourcebooks had the Venator gang rules to accommodate whatever weird mix of models floats your boat 'cause I certainly enjoy putting together some varied assemblages of fighter models sometimes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

usually those people think that way because by accident of birth they're somewhat higher on the hierarchy than other people but they're such appalling disasters in every other facet of life that it's literally the only thing they have going for them.
I think that's the appeal of any notion of inherent supremacy for most adherents. If the thing that makes you better is innate than you don't have to do anything to prove it and risk coming up short. And anything that even begins to call it in question is a pants-making GBS threads existential threat, like the notion that some toy armymans might be armywomans.

And yeah, the craving for the illusion of Absolute Order's definitely there too. I remember a similar freakout among some fans I knew regarding the third nacelle on the future Enterprise-D in "All Good Things" because it totally violated the paired nacelle rule and they were less than thrilled with my response, "So the guys who made up some poo poo just made up some different poo poo. So what?" TBF, I was trolling for the lulz.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Peyote Panda posted:

And yeah, the craving for the illusion of Absolute Order's definitely there too. I remember a similar freakout among some fans I knew regarding the third nacelle on the future Enterprise-D in "All Good Things" because it totally violated the paired nacelle rule and they were less than thrilled with my response, "So the guys who made up some poo poo just made up some different poo poo. So what?" TBF, I was trolling for the lulz.

Canon is the death of Star Trek anyways and people's baffling obsession with a show's canon that pointedly avoids establishing a canon when the writers were competent enough to do so and completely fails at doing so and also ruins the setting when trying to do so is my endless ??? wrt Star Trek fans. With serialized storytelling you get demons possessing people and having magic powers, and the Federation is secretly run by fascists(just kidding, the admiralty knows and happily signed off on committing genocide, whoops!).

The more canon you have the less interesting the setting is to write new stuff for, I think the babylon 5 guy likened it to having a really nice car that becomes so valuable it just sits in the garage so as to avoid even the tiniest ding.

the point im making is they should have the Emperor of Mankind die, use the "reborn" fan theory and make them a woman. This would come in the tenth edition rulebook right before a two page lavish spread of two orcs taking a massive colossal dump on the Ultramarines flag while giving the thumbs up

edit: i dont like the imperium of man, im a tyranid guy

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 23, 2021

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Canon is the death of Star Trek anyways and people's baffling obsession with a show's canon that pointedly avoids establishing a canon when the writers were competent enough to do so and completely fails at doing so and also ruins the setting when trying to do so is my endless ??? wrt Star Trek fans. With serialized storytelling you get demons possessing people and having magic powers, and the Federation is secretly run by fascists(just kidding, the admiralty knows and happily signed off on committing genocide, whoops!).
One of the hilarious parts of TOS, especially early on, is that they didn't give a fuuuuck about canon to the point that there are different names for the agency they work for or different times given for how far ahead in the future the show is set from one episode to the next.

quote:

The more canon you have the less interesting the setting is to write new stuff for, I think the babylon 5 guy likened it to having a really nice car that becomes so valuable it just sits in the garage so as to avoid even the tiniest ding.
This is why I enjoy it when some of the fluff takes a bit of a holiday from the grimdark, foundational to the setting as it is, just for the sake of variety. It's a big enough setting to allow some flex. I'm sure there's a lovely agri-world that hasn't seen any strife in a few generations where you could set one of the chaste Christian farmer romance books they always have on the shelves at Wal-Mart just by doing a find/replace for Jesus/Emperor and cross/aquila. Though TBF the resulting tie-in models probably wouldn't get a lot of buyers.

Actually, I wonder how well a board game might sell in the style of those Barnes & Nobles GW spin-offs only featuring different Administratum members vying to successfully navigate their job demands. Like Papers Please in tabletop form.

quote:

the point im making is they should have the Emperor of Mankind die, use the "reborn" fan theory and make them a woman. This would come in the tenth edition rulebook right before a two page lavish spread of two orcs taking a massive colossal dump on the Ultramarines flag while giving the thumbs up
Hopefully the collector's edition would come with minis of said orks in homage to that old Blood Bowl mini of a snotling making GBS threads in a player's helmet.

Has there ever been a moment in a GW book or game where Space Marines came across orks with a captured chapter banner/painting of the Emperor/etc. that they were proudly displaying after having very obviously wiped their asses with it? Juvenile, I know, but the thought of those starch-asses being confronted with such vulgar disrespect is pretty funny.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Peyote Panda posted:

One of the hilarious parts of TOS, especially early on, is that they didn't give a fuuuuck about canon to the point that there are different names for the agency they work for or different times given for how far ahead in the future the show is set from one episode to the next.

Yeah space central. And it was referred to as The Star Fleet, as in the space one, to go along with atlantic, baltic, pacific fleets.
People talked about making money, people went insane on the reg, I'm pretty sure there was a guy who thought a planet made you live forever and wanted to sell it for money, etc.

Apparantly gene cared about canon and most other writers did not. There's a single episode that references other adventures and it was literally the worst one

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
"Uhh this story's set in a star cluster you've never heard of, I'll call it the Sabbat Worlds" - some jerk who isn't referring to established lore!!!

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I never actually played Oldmunda, but you're right that the minis are like that because customization, converting and kitbashing are definitely considered a huge part of the "spirit" of Necromunda. One, since it has that narrative RPG-style element, people like to personalize their models to give them a bit of individual flair, and two, mechanically there are so many non-standard equipment options available thanks to the Trading Post and Black Market that you could never cover them in one set.

This doesn't mean it's necessary to do any converting, you're fine with the stock options and anyone who insists hard on WYSIWYG should gently caress off. But the models are def designed around leaving possibilities open, and push-fit would be an absolutely terrible choice for this particular line.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

bandaid.friend posted:

"Uhh this story's set in a star cluster you've never heard of, I'll call it the Sabbat Worlds" - some jerk who isn't referring to established lore!!!
Dan Abnett's a great example, not just for borrowing from canon without being a slave to it, but also for rolling his continuity mistakes within his own series into opportunities to build on future stories.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Oh hey, I just got my first primaris two days ago, with the idea to join the latest 28mag challenge. And when I mentioned this to my otherwise really decent small gaming group (4 people) all poo poo broke lose and I got such stuff yelled at me by all of them about destroying the lore and how this leads to "poo poo like black Thor" and other racist and misogynistic poo poo that I lost all my will to do anything with this hobby.
Even when I said that "Guys, this is just an art challenge to show our ideas how a female space marine would look, which I find interesting, why does this bother you so much?" The answer I got was "Why does it bother you so much that we don't agree with you?" so I stopped talking to them.

Glad to see in this thread that not everyone in this hobby is an rear end in a top hat. I'm terribly disheartened by all this crap. Do we have some painting Discord group or something to hang out in? Please help...

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Oh hey, I just got my first primaris two days ago, with the idea to join the latest 28mag challenge. And when I mentioned this to my otherwise really decent small gaming group (4 people) all poo poo broke lose and I got such stuff yelled at me by all of them about destroying the lore and how this leads to "poo poo like black Thor" and other racist and misogynistic poo poo that I lost all my will to do anything with this hobby.
Even when I said that "Guys, this is just an art challenge to show our ideas how a female space marine would look, which I find interesting, why does this bother you so much?" The answer I got was "Why does it bother you so much that we don't agree with you?" so I stopped talking to them.

Glad to see in this thread that not everyone in this hobby is an rear end in a top hat. I'm terribly disheartened by all this crap. Do we have some painting Discord group or something to hang out in? Please help...

That sucks man!

Here's the Trad Games discord, it has a miniatures channel: https://discord.gg/Hba5c7Ky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Got my Crimson Court ready to roll!