Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I'm still trying to grasp Survivor strategy so anyone I root for is based mostly on if I like them or not. Cagayan Final 3 was an easy call lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I feel like modern strategy for survivor is stay under the radar until like top ten then just do crazy poo poo and hope you get lucky with idols/challenges/alliances.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

I think one of the appeals of Survivor is that there isn't one clear strategy to win, and unpredictable factors (not just luck in the challenges and outside twists, but also related to the personality of the people you're playing with) can either deliver you the victory or completely ruin your chances. For example the "assemble a strong 5-person alliance where everyone has a final 3 deal with you" can either work great if the other players don't compare notes, or get you nowhere if they realize you'll win if you get to the end and get rid of you somewhere in the F9 or F7 zone.

There's always this dilemma in Survivor, where on the one hand you want to be seen playing well so that people give you the million at the end, but on the other hand the better you're seen as playing, the more likely you are to become the target to vote out next. The idols and the F4 firemaking make much easier for a recognized threat to get to the final tribal council than they used to, and I really don't like it, I feel it's better where the focus is on having the other players let you get to the end than forcing your way there.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Ayyooo uhh ayyyo aaahhh

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 24, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Spokes posted:

if the edit was remotely faithful

lol

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
A guy can wish

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Survivor was probably a lot more fun in the alternate universe where Lil took Fairplay and he won.

So many hilarious idiots would have flamed out week one trying to be what they think his game was.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hell just imagine if Fairplay had been on All-Stars.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

BGrifter posted:

Jeff Probst isn’t even the best Survivor host anymore.

:hai:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was watching a random season of a random foreign survivor that wasn't Australian, but maybe was New Zealand. It was okay as far as I got, but their knockoff Jeff made me appreciate Jeff hosting more. I think the only appropriate way for Jeff to end his run, if he doesn't just do it until death Wheel of Fortune style, would be to compete himself in a season. Crewbies vs newbies season or something.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

If that happens, I hope Probst gets to Final 4 and loses the firemaking

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To someone who was voted out first in the game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I really don’t think Probst would be very good at Survivor. Without a VERY heavy hand from production he’d be an early boot for sure. Seems like a rather sour note to end on to me.

I’d much rather see something like a season of co-hosting with Jonathan from Australian Survivor before handing over the reins entirely. They could have some fun banter together during challenges and it’d be a nice passing the torch to the best possible option.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Bemused Observer posted:

If that happens, I hope Probst gets to Final 4 and loses the firemaking

Honestly, the storyteller in him would probably love that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Khanstant posted:

I was watching a random season of a random foreign survivor that wasn't Australian, but maybe was New Zealand. It was okay as far as I got, but their knockoff Jeff made me appreciate Jeff hosting more. I think the only appropriate way for Jeff to end his run, if he doesn't just do it until death Wheel of Fortune style, would be to compete himself in a season. Crewbies vs newbies season or something.

The NZ host didn't quite get enough time to get the host duties dialed in. He improved quite a bit in the 2nd season if I remember right, but they stopped making more NZ Survivors it seems...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

To be honest I’m surprised survivor has lasted this long.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Invalid Validation posted:

To be honest I’m surprised survivor has lasted this long.

I really thought the Nicaragua through One World-era was going to kill it.

It’s astonishing they managed to get the show back on track after those seasons. Philippines, Caramoan, BvW1 and Cagayan was one hell of a comeback.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

BGrifter posted:

I really thought the Nicaragua through One World-era was going to kill it.

Oof, yeah, those were all pretty awful seasons. Was that when they were casting mostly actors/models/bartenders? It seems like the show has gotten better since they started casting diehard fans of the show.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think the mactor thing was a bigger problem in the 1X seasons, 21, etc was more bad game design and bad casting (were Na'onka and Alicia recruited?).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just remember casting being very problematic for a long time. Even though I love Parvati now, I remember being very upset at the rumors that she was very good friends with the casting director who encouraged her going into Heroes vs Villains to ally herself with Russell, giving her what I thought at the time was an unfair advantage. Now I know that Russell will never win Survivor no matter how many times he plays.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I mean, standing behind the goatiest goat of all time is a pretty good strategy, so that remains excellent advice!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nihonniboku posted:

I just remember casting being very problematic for a long time. Even though I love Parvati now, I remember being very upset at the rumors that she was very good friends with the casting director who encouraged her going into Heroes vs Villains to ally herself with Russell, giving her what I thought at the time was an unfair advantage. Now I know that Russell will never win Survivor no matter how many times he plays.

Oh for sure, Lynne Spillman was definitely shady that way. She was also rumored to be close to Amanda Kimmel who also played three times within 2-3 years.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I'm not proud - I'm on my 15th season of MTVs The Challenge. I haven't watched the Real World / Road Rules since 2003 or so, but somehow I got sucked in. Such trash, but I've had some great laughs and winces.

The last few weeks I am on a very boring, repetitive desk task so I have this on in the background. Skipping through the intro and "previously on" takes an episode down to ~35 minutes. Skip the reunion episodes and I get through a season every 2 days or abouts.

That rapid pace is like watching time go by in fast-forward. The music trends, the slang, and unfortunately the slurs. The weird thing about binging these in rapid order is watching the players age (as in grow up). You find yourself rooting for players who 4-5 seasons prior you were disgusted by their words and actions. Some of the twists have been good (choose to split your prize money or keep it). Considering these people have multi-year history with each other adds some drama. The hookups are just what's going to happen with a bunch of young single people in a house with infinite alcohol and a production team encouraging drama.

Mostly I am watching the challenges. Some of them are awesome, and pretty unique. The finals can be brutal.

I took a break from mainline to watch the "Champs vs. Pros" season where they're playing for charity against pro athletes. They didn't make them live in a house together, so the social game isn't the same. But the pro's getting caught up in the non-physical part of the game is pretty funny.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

pumped up for school posted:

That rapid pace is like watching time go by in fast-forward. The music trends, the slang, and unfortunately the slurs. The weird thing about binging these in rapid order is watching the players age (as in grow up). You find yourself rooting for players who 4-5 seasons prior you were disgusted by their words and actions.

I find it weird the latest season that I am rooting for Corey and against all the big brother alums who have been very much the villains this season. I've always thought Corey was a strong player but he's never been in a position where I could really bring myself to root for him. Still not surprised Aneesa is going another season without ever making a final.

Also I am super into Big T this season shes just so adorable.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Sunday from Millennials vs Gen X passed away from cancer yesterday. She was 50. :smith:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Propaganda Machine posted:

Sunday from Millennials vs Gen X passed away from cancer yesterday. She was 50. :smith:

Started to make a "survivor" joke but really I'm just :(

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sunday, the Gods have spoken.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

This is in poor taste, let's not.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Survivor Australia has unveiled that the upcoming (late fall) season will be a steal from US Survivor with Brains vs Braun (but no beauty) https://www.marieclaire.com.au/australian-survivor-2021-theme-announced

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Victorkm posted:

I find it weird the latest season that I am rooting for Corey and against all the big brother alums who have been very much the villains this season. I've always thought Corey was a strong player but he's never been in a position where I could really bring myself to root for him. Still not surprised Aneesa is going another season without ever making a final.

Also I am super into Big T this season shes just so adorable.

The way they can turn villains and people who barely say anything in the past shows into heroes in later seasons, and then vice versa with former heroes, is really impressive. Or in some cases like Ashley, change whether or not she's a hero or a villain sometimes in a the same season.

It really exposes how much editing can have an effect on these things.

I ended up enjoying the latest season quite a bit even though I thought the spy theme was pretty lame. The politics were really interesting and seeing the full realization of strategy now that everyone has to face elimination to have a shot at the finals has been a joy to see.

I wouldn't want Survivor to copy a lot from the show but I wish they'd at least borrow some of the challenges.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Survivor Australia has unveiled that the upcoming (late fall) season will be a steal from US Survivor with Brains vs Braun (but no beauty) https://www.marieclaire.com.au/australian-survivor-2021-theme-announced

Should I invest in figuring out a way to watch Australian Survivor?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Agreed, that’s the tribe they should cut. Wasn’t a big fan of the US version, Beauty vs Brawn vs ??????

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Nihonniboku posted:

Should I invest in figuring out a way to watch Australian Survivor?

Yes absolutely. The 2017 and 2019 seasons are up there with the best of the US seasons. It’s fairly easy to watch it if you have a Facebook account.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What if you don't have a facebook account

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

IcePhoenix posted:

What if you don't have a facebook account

Make a fake one with a throwaway gmail account and a made up name and then you have unfettered access to all australia, NZ, and south africa seasons all in one place.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Is there an official source for them or is it not ok to share?

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

AdmiralViscen posted:

Is there an official source for them or is it not ok to share?

Request to join "The tribe has spoken" group on facebook. There's a pinned link that has links to everything.

SweetJahasus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 29, 2021

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SweetJahasus posted:

There's a pinned link that has kinks to everything.

:stare:

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Didn't see this to fix it until days later, but glad it's saved for eternity now. Phone posting strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
In more Survivor news, Sierra Dawn Thomas and Joe Anglim just had a kid. From the kid's name and the article from people.com, it seems that Dawn is Sierra's last name not middle, which kind of surprised me.

I don't know about you, but it might feel weird to date/marry/ have kids with someone who openly made Mana with Wigglesworth, also from Game Changers, but what do I know!