Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012
It is every agent's final duty to go into the Bloodbath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Acerbatus posted:

considering she was cool with doing whatever horrible experiments to the forsaken murderer (and is explicitly acknowledged in another abnormality that I think was cut?) she's probably not the best person to have in that, yeah.

I mean it was obviously a terrible idea, given literally everything about this corporation is either a terrible idea or a lie to cover up an even more terrible idea. :lobcorp:
Point is that a noticeable fraction of abnormalities seem to directly tie into L-Corp’s past in some fashion, and that’s probably because we shoved the co-founder of the company into where you get abnormalities from.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The teddy bear is so boring that the 2nd guideline entry is just repeating the first one.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I always thought that the Bloodbath was supposed to be literally the tub Carmen killed herself in that was transformed into an Abnormality somehow, either due to the event itself or through experimentation later. Binah's exposition regarding the Well and Carmen's role in it gave me the impression her body was the main producer of the Cogito they used to manufacture Abnormalities, if she was somehow capable of naturally producing the substance it makes sense that such a traumatic event would soak into the surroundings.

It's also interesting to note that the two most dangerous Abnormalities both reflect the the most dangerous elements of the world LC is set in- the Apocalypse Bird is a reflection of the Head of the World, while White Night has obvious thematic parallels with the Lobotomy plan and the Seed of Light. It's also interesting how they both appear to be natural Abnormalities instead of being manufactured by the company; Angela's exposition heavily implies the three birds and the black forest in general predate Carmen's experiments, and according to the Plague Doctor's story he showed up on his own providence.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I love how bloodbath is just a regular bathtub in the picture, it's got the goofiest SCP energy of anything.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

kvx687 posted:

I always thought that the Bloodbath was supposed to be literally the tub Carmen killed herself in that was transformed into an Abnormality somehow, either due to the event itself or through experimentation later. Binah's exposition regarding the Well and Carmen's role in it gave me the impression her body was the main producer of the Cogito they used to manufacture Abnormalities, if she was somehow capable of naturally producing the substance it makes sense that such a traumatic event would soak into the surroundings.

It's also interesting to note that the two most dangerous Abnormalities both reflect the the most dangerous elements of the world LC is set in- the Apocalypse Bird is a reflection of the Head of the World, while White Night has obvious thematic parallels with the Lobotomy plan and the Seed of Light. It's also interesting how they both appear to be natural Abnormalities instead of being manufactured by the company; Angela's exposition heavily implies the three birds and the black forest in general predate Carmen's experiments, and according to the Plague Doctor's story he showed up on his own providence.

The lore entry practically confirms the connection between the blood bath and Carmen's suicide.

I wonder how hard it is connect each abnormality to Carmen/Lob Corp. I suppose the Oz ones and the magical girls are from the collective unconscious.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The interesting thing is that people don't know the story of Oz anymore if Wonderlab is anything to judge by.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
X-394 is a big facility, full of mysterious creatures known as Abnormalities. Many of these Abnormalities can do very bad things if they're handled improperly, and it's vitally important that our agents know just what may happen if they're careless. What's a manager to do?

Episode 16: Giant Tree Sap

Music: trailer

Hi! I'm Paul! Just your everyday plucky employee of Lobotomy Cobotomy, here today to talk about Giant Tree Sap!

Giant Tree Sap is a HE-level tool Abnormality, which takes the form of a bottle of sap.

I thought it looked more like a grenade, Miss Hod!

Funny you should say that, Paul. Try taking a drink out of it.

Holy chin drinkers, Miss Hod! That doesn't look right!

The perception filter has a number of simplifications, and these sometimes can cause visual errors. It's best not to worry about it. How do you feel?

...healthy! Was that the Abnormality?

You got that right! Giant Tree Sap both heals the agent drinking it and gives them regeneration for a while after.

Gee golly, Miss Hod, that's really useful! Are there any downsides?

Not the first time in a day that it's drunk-but that's the only truly safe use of the Sap.

Uh-oh. What happens the second and third times?

Go ahead and have some more while I explain.

Mmm. It's tasty!

After the first drink of Giant Tree Sap, there's a slight chance of the drinker having an unfortunate reaction. This chance is at 15% on the second drink, 30% on the third, and so on up to a maximum of 60%. Please note that this does carry over between drinkers, so the facility as a whole only gets one free drink.

Uuuuh, side effects? Miss Hod, I don't feel so good…

Yowie wowie! I blew up!

This explosion will instantly kill the agent who triggered it, and deal White damage to anyone in the same room. This damage can cause a chain reaction, so be very careful with when you use it.

It's a balancing act, but the first use is free so take advantage of it whenever!

Finally, we have a small statement to make: To the employee who thought that it would be a fun prank to empty a significant amount of the sap into the punch bowl at our recent office gathering…

It was not fun. There were over a dozen casualties. Netzach was so distraught we nearly had to replace him. Please report to management for immediate disciplinary action.

Ooooo, someone's in trooooouble..!

Well, that's all the time we have today. Thanks for joining us! And remember…

Knowledge is just pain plus observation! Have a great day!

Music: Aspire

Good evening, future Managers. Today we should be talking about Giant Tree Sap, the Abormality seen here.

It's annoyingly situational, and using it more than once in a day will wind up killing someone. It's best used for handling agents who are asking inconvenient questions. We've spoken. Now, I believe I promised a story?

Manager…

We have plenty of time. I won't take no for an answer today.

...Very well, A.

Now then. How do I know the program works as intended? On Day 14 she and I were performing our usual parts, and I was about to ask the question which would trigger the program. It was at that moment that something unexpected happened…

You see, an agent burst in, all on their own. I've no idea how they managed to navigate the vents, but they walked right up to me and demanded that I cease allowing others to be given preferential treatment with the Abormalities. That wasn't the word they used, but I recall it just the same. I was taken aback, uncertain what would transpire in this instance as I tried to stammer out a response. Angela, for her part, didn't even change her expression. I remember her next words well.

"Manager, who are you speaking with?"

The agent introduced themselves, and I indicated that they'd said who they were. She responded that she could not see anyone-and that if there was someone such as that in the room that they were responding to her cameras and sensors in a way which rendered them totally invisible to any form of AI. She insisted that there was a zero percent possibility that such a thing could occur.

The program flashed red. I've no idea why she chose to tell this lie, but it wasn't the only strange thing which happened that day. When the deployment phase started and I went to set up the facility, I found that we'd returned to day 11. I hadn't requested a Memory Repository rewind, and when I asked Angela about it, she only could state that she had no control over the TT2 protocol. I pressed her for more information, but she's remained quite taciturn. In the end, she mentioned that continued agitation over such a non-issue could lead to a replacement in managers. I chose to simply let the whole thing die on the vine, at that point.

Still, little of that matters except for this: the program does work-and thus we can conclude her statements that day to be lies.

From this, since there is no way Angela herself would ever harm us, I can only assume the plot itself which we are all caught up within is somehow going to be my-our end. I fear we will never truly leave this prison.

Then again… I suppose I shall not be the one to find out. Ah, but forgive me. For now, this old man shall cease his ramblings.

Next time's featured Abnormality…

New Guidelines/Story

Giant Tree Sap

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 11, 2021

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Just like sap, the plot thickens

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A potion you can always survive the first time sounds awfully safe for this game and a HE as well. That is too generous.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

This explosion will instantly kill the Agent who triggered it, and deal White damage to anyone in the same room. This damage can cause a chain reaction, so be very careful with when you use it.
To be precise, it deals damage 30 White damage to agents in same room within 20 units of itself. So, in theory, in large enough rooms there could be agents unharmed by explosion. And AFAIK, everyone will be damaged, including Abnormalities. There should be an achievement for suppression by mentally scarring Abnormality by the sight of exploding agent :).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Giant Tree Sap is one of the most benign tools to deal with because you can just work with it at the start of each day and quickly reset if it goes wrong.

MajestyMastery
Mar 30, 2010
Giant Tree Sap reminded me so much of Junji Ito's "Splatter Film" that I was surprised on reading it that it didn't seem to be a reference.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Scalding Coffee posted:

A potion you can always survive the first time sounds awfully safe for this game and a HE as well. That is too generous.

The thing with always being able to survive it the first time is that, like the Woodsman, when you're fighting Binah you might need to clear a meltdown on it twice over the course of the fight. It's definitely still safer then something like luminous bracelet though.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Arcvasti posted:

The thing with always being able to survive it the first time is that, like the Woodsman, when you're fighting Binah you might need to clear a meltdown on it twice over the course of the fight. It's definitely still safer then something like luminous bracelet though.

And it actually works, to boot!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Theantero posted:

Just like sap, the plot thickens

Aren't these training videos made before the events of the run?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Artificer posted:

Aren't these training videos made before the events of the run?

Yes, but the plot of LobCorp is mainly just you learning about stuff that has already happened in the first place :v:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
X-394 is a big facility, full of mysterious creatures known as Abnormalities. Many of these Abnormalities can do very bad things if they're handled improperly, and it's vitally important that our agents know just what may happen if they're careless. What's a manager to do?

Episode 17: Red Shoes

Hi! I'm Paul! Just your everyday plucky employee of Lobotomy Cobotomy, here today to talk about Red Shoes!

Red Shoes is a HE level Abnormality which takes the form of its namesake. While it is not a particularly complicated Abnormality, a certain level of care must be taken when handling it.

Aww, shucks, Miss Hod! It's just a pair of shoes. How bad could it possibly be?

That's what you're here to find out. Go ahead and give it a work.

Wowsers! This is going really well!

Red Shoes has the maximum possible success rate for any agent with a Temperance of 1 or 2 performing Attachment work. However, it's imperative that we never have such an agent work with Red Shoes, or else they will be taken under its spell.

Wait-but… MY Temperance is level 1! Uh-oh! This can't be good!

Golly gosh, where'd I find an axe in there?

In this state, our agent undergoes several changes. Their Fortitude multiplies by a large number-Paul here has jumped to 264 HP for instance. In addition to this, White attacks now damage their HP as though they were an Abnormality. Unlike most Abnormalities, however, Shield bullets, Execution bullets, and Healing bullets still affect them. Slow bullets, which generally only work against Abnormalities, do not work on the affected agent either.

Wowsers! So I'm like a super agent?

Well… not exactly.

Fratricidal footwear, I just killed… Wait, is that Talow? Didn't he die?

Um… d-didn't you?

Oh yeah! I should really stop worrying about things I can't comprehend!

Upon killing a fellow Employee, the Red Shoes agent will jump on them and finish them off to heal themselves. They also will heal naturally over time from the regenerators, and their presence doesn't slow the healing rate at all.

I've become a real problem! Are we going to Execution bullet me for the good of the company?

That won't be necessary. The Training Team is here, and we deal in counseling, training, and handling agents undergoing traumatic situations!

Yowie wowie! She just murdered the heck out of me with her bear hands!

I-it's the only way that we can stop an agent who's stuck in the Red Shoes.

I understand completely! My life already belongs to the company anyways, I'm always glad to give it up at any time.

That's the spirit! Now, there's one more thing you should be aware of when it comes to Red Shoes: it has an ability that it may activate every time that a Normal or Bad work result occurs on it.

Employee under the spell? So the shoes were wizards all along! Momma always told me not to trust no wizards!

Your mother was very wise, Paul! The Red Shoes will ensorcell a random agent with 2 or fewer Temperance-should it lack one, a clerk is targeted instead.

The affected employee makes their way to its containment cell and puts the shoes on, becoming an entity just like you were, Paul.

Oh man! That won't end well! Is there anything the Manager can do to stop them?

If they click multiple times on the ensorcelled employee, they'll be able to snap them out of it and the Red Shoes's effect will end. And if that doesn't work...

There's always the Training Team, ready to handle whatever problems come our way!

Miss Hod, your team is the very coolest team of all teams in the entire facility!

Why thank you, Paul! We try very hard to keep everything running well around here.

It sure works, Miss Hod! I can only hope that I'll be lucky enough to stay assigned to the Training Team forever!

Now, Paul, flattery is frowned upon in this company… we can't give special treatment!

Aww, shucks! Can't blame a guy for hoping, right?

Good evening, future Managers. I must say, it's nice to have my Sephirot up and able to help out again. For reasons I cannot fathom, Malkuth and Yesod have been out of commission for some time. With Hod back online in a more active capacity, things should run far more smoothly around here. Angela, the graphics.

Red Shoes is not particularly troublesome once your facility's agents are all at Temperance 3 or above. In the unlikely event that Hod ever finishes the advanced training program she's promised me, this would make it a complete nonissue for our actual agents. Given that we can then remove clerks with Execution bullets, it's possible to render this Abnormality completely safe.

It's a shame, then, that its gear is less than plentiful. Its weapon is not the greatest, and while its suit has all of the numbers I like to see for a HE level suit, we only have access to one of them barring an unforeseen expansion in storage space. Regardless, I find that this Abnormality is not one which is bad to have around. Certainly it's more useful than employees who call themselves comrades one moment and try to tear the facility apart the next… but that's really an entirely different topic, isn't it? For now, this old man shall cease his ramblings.

New Guidelines

Red Shoes

New Gear

Requirements: None

Requirements: Temperance 3

New Story

Red Shoes (Part 1)
Red Shoes (Part 2)

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 11, 2021

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

As usual, some numbers: max HP multiplier is 4.5. Initial healing and corpse healing does not work during Netzach suppression (at least one place where this effect is helpful), but affected agent is healed by regenerators, Netzach healing wave and other healing effects.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Ah Red Shoes, maybe the first Abnormality where I went "Screw it! and looked up on the wiki because tap-a-tapping on an agent or clerk was entirely unintuitive to me.

EDIT : Especially as clicking and holding DOESN'T work.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Fun fact: In Legacy LobCorp, only female employees could be possessed by the shoes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Theantero posted:

Fun fact: In Legacy LobCorp, only female employees could be possessed by the shoes.

Was there originally a gender setting for characters, then?

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Tenebrais posted:

Was there originally a gender setting for characters, then?

It is still here, just unused... mostly.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I like the unused gender setting. It makes wonderlab an Enby they/them party of good times and existential terror.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Red Shoes was the first Abnormality that made me restart, because I didn't figure out that you could break the spell. On my second playthrough I got the cherry blossom tree pretty quickly and figured it out then. My heart goes out to all the poor managers who did the same, but with Parasite Tree instead.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elfface posted:

I like the unused gender setting. It makes wonderlab an Enby they/them party of good times and existential terror.

If you like ambiguours gender identities, boy will you like this series!

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Arcvasti posted:

My heart goes out to all the poor managers who did the same, but with Parasite Tree instead.

Me. I got it as my first one in Central and made it to the suppressions before discovering I could stop the affected people.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
By the sounds of things, the next Abnormality will be that killer piano from Mario 64. Incidentally I can barely make out the 'Gift' that this abnormality gives, it looks like a grin filled with bloody teeth, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything in particular.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Oh man, Red Shoes story even references another Abno we haven't seen yet! Project Moon really did a fantastic job tying everything together in their world, I'm really enjoying it.

As for the next abnormality... it's the one that broke me on my first playthrough, if I'm remembering it correctly.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Add "Ruby Slippers" to the list of Oz references, I think. Though I don't recall an axe coming into play.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Solumin posted:

Add "Ruby Slippers" to the list of Oz references, I think. Though I don't recall an axe coming into play.

Red Shoes is a reference to The Red Shoes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Shoes_(fairy_tale)

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Solumin posted:

Hey, those shoes were silver! They got changed to red for the film adaptation because they didn't show up well on the very primitive film technology of the time, or so I've heard. And then the red version got popularised because of the movie being wildly popular and almost everything since has used that for whatever reason.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

The best part of that article:

quote:

Andersen named the story's anti-heroine Karen after his own loathed half-sister, Karen Marie Andersen.

Karen really is eternal huh.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Paul. Paul-paul.
Paul paul Paul.
PAUL!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Like a lot of abnos, once you know their trick the Red Shoes are a good addition to the facility and early on, its a solid Fort trainer with the ample red damage and decent Instinct success rate.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

Epicmissingno posted:

Hey, those shoes were silver! They got changed to red for the film adaptation because they didn't show up well on the very primitive film technology of the time, or so I've heard. And then the red version got popularised because of the movie being wildly popular and almost everything since has used that for whatever reason.

I thought they were made Red to properly show off this new-fangled thing called “color film” as opposed to the old black and white film.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/press/fact-sheets/ruby-slippers

quote:

To take advantage of new Technicolor technology, the slippers were changed from the book’s silver to an iridescent red hue.

Chaosbrain fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 25, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 18: Singing Machine

Hi! I'm Paul! Just your everyday plucky employee of Lobotomy Cobotomy, here today to talk about Singing Machine!

Singing Machine is a HE-level Abnormality which takes the form of a meat grinder.

Is that what it is? Wowsers, you learn something new every day!

Singing Machine will activate its effect whenever an agent works it when its QC is 0, as well as when an agent finishes a work while having a Fortitude of 4 or higher, or Temperance of 2 or lower.

It's like walking a tightrope, but for your agent's numbers! With a Temperance of 1, I'll handle the work from here-right?

That's a very good way of putting it, Paul. However, we'll be having someone else take care of things.

Today's guest helper is VinnyDonuts, who has a Fortitude of 4! That means they're about to throw themselves in, right Miss Hod?

Good memory, Paul! Let's watch.

Holy shamoly, they just jumped right in there!

That's right, Paul. Moreover, that has the side-effect of playing music throughout the facility. This music will addict one employee within the facility, preferring to ensnare clerks over agents, and its own department above others.

Addict them? That sounds dangerous! What happens?

The addicted employee attempts to subdue others in order to throw them into Singing Machine.

Jumping jaundiceiphat! What happened to their eyes?!

That effect shows that they're under the sway of the Singing Machine. They'll continue to hit people with their stick until they've successfully killed one. At that point…

They drag them off…

And throw the body into the Singing Machine.

Yowsers! That's some real dedication to music!

That's right. Unfortunately, they've run into an agent just outside.

It's Lost! A perfectly average agent without any E.G.O, but with solid 3's across the board!

The clerks, even when crazy, are still clerks after all!

They may as well not count! Either way, I'm glad everything's been settled so cleanly.

Oh, Paul… Paul, Paul, Paul. Remember what happens when Singing Machine plays?

Sure do, Miss Hod! An agent gets addicted!

And what happens when that agent throws someone into it?

It… plays! Oh no! Look out, Lost!

Another clerk manages to take him down, and it's off to the Singing Machine!

Remember: enough nothing can overcome anything!

Speaking of which, another poor agent has suffered the same fate!

Yowie wowie! Dying I can handle, but being called a weakling is just hurtful!

It's important for the Training Team captain to be able to offer assessments when necessary, Paul-and you are weak!

It's why I need all this extra training, huh Miss Hod?

That's right!

Luckily, the addicted Employees are no match for an agent with proper training. It's important to stay on top of them before they multiply, but even a single powerful agent should be able to take them down before they can attack.

Pugilistic perdition, Miss Hod! Is anyone left alive?!

It's very important to handle Singing Machine properly, in order to ensure this sort of situation cannot occur.

...Uh… Miss Hod? That wasn't an answer..?

Good evening, future Managers. I am… not a fan of this particular Abnormality. Let's get into it. Angela.

The Singing Machine. It would make for a passable Insight trainer, were it not for its regrettable tendency to sow havoc across the entire facility. Its gift can and will push agents beyond the Fortitude mark at which they can work with it, negating the point of having agents dedicated to it, rendering it off-limits the remainder of the day. The only upside is that it does not immediately activate at 0 QC-letting us simply ignore it for the day.

For obvious reasons, this is frequently not an ideal situation. For our efforts, we get no suit, and a weapon which will render the person using it extremely vulnerable to attack. It hits like a truck, yes, but I prefer weapons which don't murder the agents.

It's a waste of energy unless an Abnormality does it.

I find it difficult to recommend on any level, for these reasons. There is nearly always a better Abnormality available to select in its place. There may be those who want to test its ability as a Prudence or Justice trainer, but… well, to those Managers, I wish them luck.

…Ah, you're still here?

I suppose you expected another tangent. Well… I suppose I can indulge. I have a question for you. We are one of the Wings of the world, the supporters of the Head. Despite being their supporter, we nevertheless have Angela-an AI-which directly breaks one of their most important rules. Why do you suppose they haven't done anything?

...I don't have an answer for you. It's simply something I wonder from time to time. For now, this old man shall cease his ramblings.

New Guidelines

Singing Machine

New Gear

Requirements: Level 2, Fortitude 2

New Story

Singing Machine

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 11, 2021

mizure
Apr 14, 2020

Mizu "Just Mizu" Mizu, reporting for cutie!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel like if you really tried you could get some fun results out of the weapon but it would not be useful for anything dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What music does it play though