Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

being able to switch to merciful after you already started a hardmode game is some dumb poo poo
Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

No honorable gamer would switch anyways.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I put it down from hard to normal for a moment when I realized difficulty affect store prices.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I think this is related to a defect in my personal character, but:

I don't like mods in games. I am a purist. If DLC is released for a game, I consider that kosher. If a fan releases a mod, that is haram.

Still, Nocturne was designed nearly two decades ago, it worked well for the time. The additions in the remaster, the ability to change difficulty mid-game, to just have access to game-altering money and experience on a whim: these are simple ideas. I'm sure the OG developers had access to these ideas and decided against them, because they would take away from the experience of playing the game. For me, it already has.

And for those reasons I must issue a fatwa against the additions included in the remaster, despite it being official content. Changing difficulty, using the dungeons, these actions are now illegal.

I apologize to anyone this effects or who disagrees with me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Are you telling someone to play the game your way in 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dorkopotamis posted:

I think this is related to a defect in my personal character, but:

I don't like mods in games. I am a purist. If DLC is released for a game, I consider that kosher. If a fan releases a mod, that is haram.

Still, Nocturne was designed nearly two decades ago, it worked well for the time. The additions in the remaster, the ability to change difficulty mid-game, to just have access to game-altering money and experience on a whim: these are simple ideas. I'm sure the OG developers had access to these ideas and decided against them, because they would take away from the experience of playing the game. For me, it already has.

And for those reasons I must issue a fatwa against the additions included in the remaster, despite it being official content. Changing difficulty, using the dungeons, these actions are now illegal.

I apologize to anyone this effects or who disagrees with me.

Okay.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I think it is a bit, but it sucks because it isn't funny and it'd be weird if it is not.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think theyre trying to be jokey but it doesnt work when people legit think that way and are very loud about it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I can't tell if this is a troll or a failed attempt to be self-aware about their bad video game takes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SMT youtuber Larrue put out a video talking about the development of Nocturne. The HD remaster is clearly not for me, but seeing people enjoy it, and seeing people put in the work to analyze it is a very good thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDhsnB7GZnY&t=973s

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I will respond to the controversy surrounding my post later tonight. Please be respectful of my privacy.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Wait, can I just turn on normal difficulty every time I walk into a shop?

Hard Mode's Macca grind is the main reason it's a no sale to me as well, despite preferring the difficulty spike.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rockstar Massacre posted:

Wait, can I just turn on normal difficulty every time I walk into a shop?

Hard Mode's Macca grind is the main reason it's a no sale to me as well, despite preferring the difficulty spike.

Yep, just switch to Normal in Config before going in and watch everything become 3x cheaper.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dorkopotamis posted:

I will respond to the controversy surrounding my post later tonight. Please be respectful of my privacy.

please post better or at least more funnily

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

kirbysuperstar posted:

please post better or at least more funnily

no

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I forgot that Demi-fiend runs like a weenie.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

Some needs to make a mod that makes him run like this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Funky Valentine posted:

It was the style at the time

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sarasvati is always a must have demon for me in Nocturne because of the awesome sound her actions make and the fact she comes with Mana Refill, one of the best passives in the game and a huge help for the Obelisk. Very glad I just managed to fuse her by recruiting a Principality.

I've tried to mix up my demon usage this run but Sarasvati is too good. I've never had a Nozuchi or Dis long enough to have them evolve so that was interesting and new. Valkyrie is petty good and Xuanxu had Estoma and Ice Boost which I gave to Sarasvati.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 24, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Started playing the Nocturne Hard Type hack, was a little iffy reading the romhacking page. I'm usually not so into loving around so much with the systems, but then I saw I didn't need to play fifty more stages of Puzzle boy and smashed that Download button.

In honesty it really seems more like a balance patch than a hardtype patch, granted I just beat Forneus so maybe it gets much harder but it seems relatively easy so far. Only got one death to a group of Pretas and one to Forneus when I dumbly kept Hua Po out. Right now the main difference seems to be massively increasing the number of ambushes and back attacks.

I will say the PS2 version looks very good Upscaled at 4x native resolution. Really helps you appreciate the small details in the environment, like the blood stains in the hospital, torn posters, and ransacked appearance of everything. Also helps you appreciate that Hikawa looks like the singer from Pulp.

Edit: That fight with the Spectres in the amala network was a real motherfucker

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 24, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This forum is generally hostile to difficulty mods in my experience but Hardtype is pretty much universally beloved for being a great addition to Nocturne. It changes up the gameplay both extensively and creatively instead of just making enemy numbers go up and your numbers go down.

I hope it can be converted into a mod for the Remaster, or something like it can be created.

Also plz add Mind Charge/Concentrate. I dunno why he didn't but I'm sure he had his reasons. But mage supremacy is hard to justify without it. Also I only played Hardtype once up to the Diet Building, Maybe I just missed it? I don't think so but maybe.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 24, 2021

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I really wanted to like hardtype but only being able to stack buffs/debuffs twice while enemies got the full 4 stacks was real bad. Lots of good changes otherwise but that one kinda ruins it for me

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
First two real hours into Nocturne and I have to say this feels much easier then SMT IV did getting started. That game kicked me to the curb so many times before it finally let up and let me advance.

Will see what happens when I get to the first dungeon outside of the tutorial one which I will probably eat my words but I just feel like I’ve gotten started easier then I did in IV.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Spiffster posted:

First two real hours into Nocturne and I have to say this feels much easier then SMT IV did getting started. That game kicked me to the curb so many times before it finally let up and let me advance.

Will see what happens when I get to the first dungeon outside of the tutorial one which I will probably eat my words but I just feel like I’ve gotten started easier then I did in IV.

IV's difficulty peaked with Minotaur and I remember pretty much nothing about its gameplay afterward.

I think Nocturne has challenging bosses throughout.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember the DLC bosses from SMT IV.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

4 is absolutely the most brutal start in the series, period. The game will absolutely kick your rear end repeatedly before you even have the chance to recruit a party, and the first two bosses are infamously the most difficult in the game. After Naraku, the game sort of plateaus in difficulty and nothing comes close to it.

In Nocturne, the game maintains a more even difficulty curve, and mid to end game bosses are generally rightfully more difficult than early game bosses.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Spiffster posted:

Looking forward to your reaction to the...third or fourth boss! :D

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I really wish I didn't have to play IV on a 3DS. I've got mine somewhere, but I'd need to find it and I don't really like the action of holding something in front of my face. It was great though. Gotta look into emulators, I guess.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

I really wish I didn't have to play IV on a 3DS. I've got mine somewhere, but I'd need to find it and I don't really like the action of holding something in front of my face. It was great though. Gotta look into emulators, I guess.

The Citra 3DS emulator is your friend. It's the only way I've played the amazing 3DS library.

I have hope that my purchasing P4G and Nocturne on Steam will convince them to finally start porting over other SMT games...namely everything on the 3DS. SJR, SMTIVA and Devil Survivor 1/2 will be immediately pre-purchased on Steam if they ever became a reality.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I remember the DLC bosses from SMT IV.

Never played the DLC but the music is one of the best special boss songs in the whole franchise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeCUmXG6Ces

IVA included it as an actual story boss theme which is why I know it exists.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I did the dlc fights that used that ost and yeah they could get rough.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
On the subject of Nocturne difficulty: I'm currently 10 hours into the remaster, just got back from Ikebukuro and am now in the Nihilo base. My Demifiend is currently level 76 and I've been leaving even boss battles in auto.

So I'd say the remastered Nocturne is many many times easier than vanilla Nocturne.

EDIT: In SMT IV, I forget if there are skill cards or something like it? Nocturne gives me fomo with all of the skills I might be losing forever.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 25, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Got my new best friend Pixie (ISAMU AND CHIAKI BTFO) and my newer best friend Kodama.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Got my new best friend Pixie (ISAMU AND CHIAKI BTFO) and my newer best friend Kodama.

Obligatory

Also your teacher is the nicest person to you all game, really.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

hatty posted:

I put it down from hard to normal for a moment when I realized difficulty affect store prices.

I just watched a 100% speedrun of the Remaster on Friday and the run was like 20 hours long or something and a full hour and a half was grinding money in the Kalpa tunnels just to buy all the Magatama

Installing the game while I sleep and when I wake up I'll get at it

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Quick pulse check: Should I re-start SMT IV after playing about halfway through it a year and a half ago, or should I start fresh with SMT IV Apocalypse?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

drat I wish this game were cheaper. A friend's birthday is today and he hasn't played any SMT games despite loving Devilman.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

Quick pulse check: Should I re-start SMT IV after playing about halfway through it a year and a half ago, or should I start fresh with SMT IV Apocalypse?

Well, I'm biased and really love IVA and really don't like IV. They're very different games in terms of tone and character and stuff.

Gameplay is better in IVA, better demon designs and bosses.... (more disputably) better characters.

At that point you should know all you really need to know about Walter's and Jonathan's characters which is all you need for IVA, IMO. Well, their endings in IV are pretty plot relevant to IVA but hardly shocking spoilers and IVA lays it al out explicitly.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I just watched a 100% speedrun of the Remaster on Friday and the run was like 20 hours long or something and a full hour and a half was grinding money in the Kalpa tunnels just to buy all the Magatama

Installing the game while I sleep and when I wake up I'll get at it

I can't do those stupid loving tunnels. Luckily endgame enemies give you so much Macca you should be fine. Also can sell stuff like the Spyglass and whatnot.

But in this run I'm only using Dark Magatamas so I don't even have to worry about getting massive amounts of funds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C54_QS5l3sI

I'll give it to Hikawa, he had the best speech. Problem is he's the main villain from start to this point in the game, actively trying to kill you multiple times while you are trying to consistently stop him . Also we literally just freed his last partner who he betrayed, imprisoned and tortured. So even if you agreed with him, why trust him? Everything in the game makes him your enemy including that hair.

But his voice-actor is sooooo goood.

Both he and Chiaki are way better than Isamu, though. Always have been and still are in this.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The hardest decision- Dante or Raidou?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The Raidou version has never been available in the West until now, so I went with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

oh my god people told me I was in for an ambitious project going for all achievements in Nier but this game has one achievement per ending

e: GOT CRIT IN THE TUTORIAL FIGHT :xcom:

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 25, 2021