Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

the_steve posted:

Stantis/Allie stand for nothing. Anytime PC ever comes close to having an opinion on something, it immediately backtracks to "both sides" or switches topics.
It is the blandest of the bland, the nothingest of the nothingburgers.

Allie's a hacky gun for hire, but Stantis in the past has shown the ability to make an actual point

I'm not clamoring for Classic Stantis or anything; the guy's a wingnut, less of 'em the better. But this endless desert-wandering makes me want to punch things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

D.N. Nation posted:

Allie's a hacky gun for hire, but Stantis in the past has shown the ability to make an actual point

on that day, stantis knew he had failed, by not listening to his natural cynicism. he vowed then and there to be cynical forevermore. as god as his witness he would never believe strongly in anything in particular again

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

D.N. Nation posted:

I'm not clamoring for Classic Stantis or anything; the guy's a wingnut, less of 'em the better. But this endless desert-wandering makes me want to punch things

Except that he learned nothing and constantly complained Obama wasn't warlike enough

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Korthal posted:

You still don't want 20kg of explosives hitting your house.

Or face. But comparing V2 to the Qassam rockets is ridiculous. Qassams have killed 12, V2s killed 9000.

Edit: Well... Palestinian rockets have killed 12, don't know by which rocket. But most of the rockets are the tiny ones.

Captain Kosmos fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 23, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ultimately Stantis is like the vast majority of Americans. He's aware of the problems in American society and the world at large, but any solutions to those problems are completely constrained by the belief that the Democrats and the Republicans represent the only valid options. So the best he can come up is "idk, something in the middle I guess".

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Ultimately Stantis is like the vast majority of Americans. He's aware of the problems in American society and the world at large, but any solutions to those problems are completely constrained by the belief that the Democrats and the Republicans represent the only valid options. So the best he can come up is "idk, something in the middle I guess".

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Angepain posted:

on that day, stantis knew he had failed, by not listening to his natural cynicism. he vowed then and there to be cynical forevermore. as god as his witness he would never believe strongly in anything in particular again

I have to admit, even knowing how mocking you're being here, that there's a part of me that's quite sympathetic to that line of thinking. I worry often that even the things I think I truly deeply honestly believe could very well turn out to be wrong. It's certainly happened to me many times in the past, that my preconceived notions and prejudices turn out to be coloring my thoughts.

And I wonder, how can I ever really know any of my positions are the correct causes to ultimately be fighting for? Maybe there are sides to stories I haven't even considered yet. And I think how foolishly I'll look years later, in retrospect, clinging strongly to ideas that turn out to be absolutely false to their very core.

It's part of the reason I really don't like judging people harshly for the opinions they had decades ago. Being proven wrong and having to change your opinions happens to everyone, right?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

oobey posted:

I have to admit, even knowing how mocking you're being here, that there's a part of me that's quite sympathetic to that line of thinking. I worry often that even the things I think I truly deeply honestly believe could very well turn out to be wrong. It's certainly happened to me many times in the past, that my preconceived notions and prejudices turn out to be coloring my thoughts.

And I wonder, how can I ever really know any of my positions are the correct causes to ultimately be fighting for? Maybe there are sides to stories I haven't even considered yet. And I think how foolishly I'll look years later, in retrospect, clinging strongly to ideas that turn out to be absolutely false to their very core.

It's part of the reason I really don't like judging people harshly for the opinions they had decades ago. Being proven wrong and having to change your opinions happens to everyone, right?
No. People get proven wrong all the time and do not change a thing, they just deny they were proven wrong.

The fact that you have the doubts you do tells me you are not part of the problem.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What are your deepest, truest, most honest beliefs? All my positions come from a core belief that all life matters, that we should strive to support one another, and that the only real measure of a society is how it treats its weakest and most vulnerable members.

I don't really think I will ever come to the earth-shaking realization that any of that is wrong. Maybe someday I'll come to believe that, I dunno, taxing the pants off billionaires or supporting unions is somehow detrimental to that goal, or maybe I'll redefine what exactly I mean by "a society," but those aren't my core beliefs. I have no doubt when it comes to those, and that is not because I am being stubborn or irreflective.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 23, 2021

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

oobey posted:

There's a difference between sticking to a belief you came to in good faith with the information you had available to you, and doing what Stantis does where he just buries his head in the sand and blames :decorum: while refusing to critically engage with anything because he knows he won't like the answer.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s pretty telling that Stantis was especially disturbed by the American military body count, and seemingly not at all by the comparatively huge amount of dead Iraqi civilians

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean yeah his takeaway was that this one particular war was a bad war. You're giving him more credit than he deserves if you think he did any introspection beyond "W Bush is one slick con man, even I, as sharp as I am correct and moral, got suckered."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I only remember one person wearing a diaper in public and he did it to own the libs.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What are your deepest, truest, most honest beliefs? All my positions come from a core belief that all life matters, that we should strive to support one another, and that the only real measure of a society is how it treats its weakest and most vulnerable members.

I don't really think I will ever come to the earth-shaking realization that any of that is wrong.

I think an important thing to understand is that someone like Ishida would probably say he agrees with all of those core beliefs, and yet he has ended up at a very, very different place. Even if you consider your core values beyond question it's important to remain aware of other assumptions that might go into the ethical conclusions you're drawing from them - in Ishida's case, his belief that cis women are weaker and more vulnerable than trans women leads him to a set of ethical endpoints most of us struggle to even comprehend.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean yeah his takeaway was that this one particular war was a bad war. You're giving him more credit than he deserves if you think he did any introspection beyond "W Bush is one slick con man, even I, as sharp as I am correct and moral, got suckered."

This is an excellent point. I'm giving Stantis too much credit when it comes to how much self-reflection he performed. That comic strip wasn't remotely him coming to terms with fundamental problems in his belief system.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm pretty sure it was explicitly an attempt to avoid doing precisely that.

Thank you Zulily, Johnny, and Steve.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Twelve by Pies posted:

I only remember one person wearing a diaper in public and he did it to own the libs.

Also, gotta love the magical horizontally flipping hair.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

NRVNQSR posted:

I think an important thing to understand is that someone like Ishida would probably say he agrees with all of those core beliefs, and yet he has ended up at a very, very different place. Even if you consider your core values beyond question it's important to remain aware of other assumptions that might go into the ethical conclusions you're drawing from them - in Ishida's case, his belief that cis women are weaker and more vulnerable than trans women leads him to a set of ethical endpoints most of us struggle to even comprehend.

Possibly, but he'd be full of poo poo because he's making GBS threads all over one of the most vulnerable and marginalized groups there is. "Not discriminating against anyone based on immutable qualities" and "trans rights are human rights" are on the list as well.

I get that nobody thinks of themself as a bad person (outside of like clinical depression or an anti-social personality disorder), but there is a pretty significant distinction between being introspective and trying to work through a complex social dilemma, versus just going through the motions to rationalize a particular bigotry without having to confront the harm it's doing.

Like, a person who starts at the position of "people matter" would not wind up as a TERF, because trans people are people. You'd have to start at the position of "trans people in particular do not matter" and work your way backwards to find enough rationalization that you can somehow still call yourself a feminist.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Like, a person who starts at the position of "people matter" would not wind up as a TERF, because trans people are people. You'd have to start at the position of "trans people in particular do not matter" and work your way backwards to find enough rationalization that you can somehow still call yourself a feminist.

I don't know that I'd agree with this logic because I think even from the perspective of "people matter" you would probably say "But people who commit heinous crimes, while still being human beings and worthy of life, dignity and decent treatment, do not deserve some rights." TERFs think that trans women are just sexual predators who want to prey on vulnerable cis women. They're wrong about that belief, but to someone who believes that statement is true, then it makes sense to deny rights to trans people on the basis of "They want to harm other people, and should not have the right to do so." To them, to say the right of a trans woman to use the women's locker room is to say "the rights of cis women in particular do not matter" and that would make you in their eyes the person who doesn't actually think people matter, and based on their view on feminism, would say you are the one who cannot call themselves a feminist since they think you are saying the rights of cis women don't matter.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know I am oversimplifying things and I take your point, but I don't think I buy that specific example. You might believe that about trans women if you only know of them through mumsnet and JK Rowling and whoever, but it falls apart as soon as you actually listen to a trans woman. Particularly if you're old enough to remember when the exact same locker room discourse happened but with gay panic. Part of having an internally consistent set of beliefs is having heard enough from the other side that you can articulate why it is wrong, and in this case, you don't need to know all that much about trans people to know that it is not an identity anyone arrives at spuriously.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah I agree with that. At any rate it's clear Ishida doesn't fall into the "well meaning but reached a different conclusion" group and has no interest in listening to trans people anyway, given that he draws them as psychotic zombies brainwashed by Satan.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Part of having an internally consistent set of beliefs is having heard enough from the other side that you can articulate why it is wrong, and in this case, you don't need to know all that much about trans people to know that it is not an identity anyone arrives at spuriously.

Again, though, we're talking about people who currently believe trans women are sexual predators. Most people are not willing to seek out people they consider to be sexual predators and listen open-mindedly to what they have to say about themselves.

Honestly the parochial attitude most TERFs have to trans men is much harder to justify, which is presumably why they tend not to address that subject.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Robert Ariail

Steve Benson

Steve Breen

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Al Goodwyn

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Michael Ramirez

Tony Branco

quote:

Child Endangerment
Having children wear a mask in school is not following “the science”, it’s child abuse.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Took awhile for Tucker Carlson's insane rant to filter through Branco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZB4kE5eT3Y&t=3s

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I love this. NOW we have to listen to the holy words of the CHINA OWNED CDC

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Okay I don't get this one. Is that a razor blade in the middle? Why are the Democrats trying to pull him off of it? It also looks like they're trying to pull him in different directions, but Al Goodwyn is a hateful piece of poo poo so I can't imagine him admitting that there are Democrats that support Israel.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

It's not that complex. He's saying Biden is trying to walk a razor thin line and not support anyone (which isn't true, he's objectively continuing to support Israel) and Democrats want him to come down on one side or the other. I guess in this case even Goodwyn has to admit there are some Democrats that unilaterally support Israel.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

The Nationals retained their seat after the Upper Hunter by-election and now everyone is reading the tea leaves as to what a state seat election means federally, the loudest voices at the moment yelling Labor has Lost Touch with what Ordinary Workers Want which is More Coal.
(NSW Labor ran a pro-coal candidate who it seems held up their vote in the coal region and bled votes elsewhere to the less-coal independents).
edit: Jodi McKay is the NSW Labor opposition leader, Joel Fitzgibbon is a federal Labor MP from NSW who is one of the louder voices for More Coal, John Barilaro is the NSW Nationals leader & deputy leader of the state (also More Coal), Mark Latham is the former federal Labor leader turned hard right media personality and now the NSW leader for Pauline Hanson's One Nation, Angus Taylor is the federal energy minister.

Leak, Son of Leak:

Knight:

I'm not sure on this one, probably about the lax observance of mandatory mask wearing on public transport.

Broelman:

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 24, 2021

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
He's literally on the razor's edge

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Past the point of no return?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Biden's one step closer to the edge, and he's about to

BREAK!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

Again, though, we're talking about people who currently believe trans women are sexual predators. Most people are not willing to seek out people they consider to be sexual predators and listen open-mindedly to what they have to say about themselves.

Honestly the parochial attitude most TERFs have to trans men is much harder to justify, which is presumably why they tend not to address that subject.

when you consider that we were told the same thing about gay people and that ended up being total lies, yeah I'd say it should be like basic intellectual honesty and integrity when a group is accused of all being sexual predators to find out if that's true.

I mean, are xenophobes and nativists caring empathetic people because after all the only reason they don't listen to immigrant voices is because Trump said they're all rapists?

I feel like if someone hears "oh all all blah people are rapists, every single one" and they say "ah ha I thought so, makes sense to me", they probably have some hate in their heart.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Past the point of no return?

What warm, unspoken secrets will Biden learn?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Well, they're shutting down a Canadian pipeline traveling through America and not overtly trying to stop a pipeline in Europe that they really have nothing to do with, yes.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I don't think anyone here is saying that TERFs are caring and empathetic people. I think the argument that's happening here is just people saying that a lot of TERFs start out as left-leaning feminists until they let their own prejudice against trans people become such a massive part of their personality that suddenly it dwarfs everything else they've ever cared about and they're voting right-wing even against their own interests just because gently caress Those Particular People. Zulily was trying to say that they must not have believed in those other things very strongly then if they allowed them to be pushed to the wayside over trans people, which is probably correct. Saying "they used to be left-wing" isn't saying "they used to be good people but they have this one blind spot." It's just pointing out that this horrible dehumanizing movement didn't originate from the right-wing (although the right-wing is certainly happy to capitalize on it) and people can definitely be terrible on both sides.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CuwiKhons posted:

It's not that complex. He's saying Biden is trying to walk a razor thin line and not support anyone (which isn't true, he's objectively continuing to support Israel) and Democrats want him to come down on one side or the other. I guess in this case even Goodwyn has to admit there are some Democrats that unilaterally support Israel.

Yeah, we give money to one side and not the other. In order to not take a side we would either have to be giving both sides equal money or no money to either side.

That cartoon doesn't really match up with what's happening in reality, like most political cartoons.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Johnny Walker posted:

Well, they're shutting down a Canadian pipeline traveling through America and not overtly trying to stop a pipeline in Europe that they really have nothing to do with, yes.
WELCOME TO BIDEN'S EUROPE

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
On the subject of deliberate ignorance, Abigail Thorn of Philosophy Tube has an excellent video about the decision to remain ignorant and the non-obvious ramifications of ignorance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATITdJg7bWI

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess my American history textbooks in high school were also going senile because they had Jim Crow freaking everywhere in them, as a pervasive feature of 20th century America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Godzilla Has the Right to Defend Himself

Ted Rall posted:

After 11 days of relentless bombardment of the Gaza Strip, Israel finally signed onto a tentative ceasefire. Joe Biden repeated the standard line that Israel has the right to defend itself. But the extreme disparity of wealth and military power between Israel and the Palestinians makes that line a joke.

First Dog on the Moon: It has been one year since Rio Tinto destroyed the sacred site at Juukan Gorge