Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I’m gonna have to look real close again but it looks perfect to me. I’ll put the old on in and see if I can tell the difference.

I’m just happy I don’t need to get a new one but it is a little ridiculous they axed it so quickly.

yeah, mine felt like it fit with absolutely zero difference. roommate couldn’t notice anything either, only hypothesis is that maybe there’s like a smidge more pressure on the hinge or something that might end up breaking it down quicker over time or something?? i dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think if WWDC21 reveals any major software overhauls for iPadOS and brings some 3D art software onto the platform then I'm immediately buying a 1TB model to replace my 2015 iPad Pro. I am so hoping they don't squander the M1 and it's not just a "well it's easier to just produce more of these instead of a bespoke chip for the iPad" move.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand, it’s certainly an opportunity to do something more with the iPad product.

On the other, they were already making specialty chips for iPads. Why continue that when you’ve got a compatible hardware that already blows most desktop cpus out of the water?

That’d make the M1’s inclusion only a way to end production of X/Z A-series chips. If the software doesn’t evolve, that’ll be a big tell regarding Apple’s vision of the future of the iPad.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 23, 2021

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I don’t know if I necessarily think Apple is going to announce that the iPad will be able to run some kinds of Mac software. That seems too easy and clunky of a solution. It feels very un-Apple like. I don’t even know that I can think of what a really good way to make iPadOS better would be without undoing something that Apple has been very deliberate about in the past (like adding proper file manager support or something) but it really does feel like they have to do something. A Mac with an M1 chip feels like the hardware is no longer holding back the powerful software. An iPad with an M1 chip just feels like a device that was already extremely not held back by its hardware is even less held back.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I mean they’re already doing the other way with M1 macs running iOS apps so they’re obviously ok with some crossover

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean they’re already doing the other way with M1 macs running iOS apps so they’re obviously ok with some crossover

Sure but they didn't really have to change the boundaries of macOS to do that, right? I feel like they would have to significantly change the boundaries of ipad OS to do the inverse.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

George Kansas posted:

I don’t know if I necessarily think Apple is going to announce that the iPad will be able to run some kinds of Mac software. That seems too easy and clunky of a solution. It feels very un-Apple like. I don’t even know that I can think of what a really good way to make iPadOS better would be without undoing something that Apple has been very deliberate about in the past (like adding proper file manager support or something) but it really does feel like they have to do something. A Mac with an M1 chip feels like the hardware is no longer holding back the powerful software. An iPad with an M1 chip just feels like a device that was already extremely not held back by its hardware is even less held back.

There's been a noticeable lack of leaks overall heading into WWDC, all I've seen is the (duh) note that widgets are coming to the iPad home screen.

What I'm hoping for is that aforementioned file manager but mostly a more macOS-ish multitasking solution. Even with iPadOS being it's own thing for a couple years now, the multitasking is basically iOS with a couple bolt-ons in split view and slide over. If their flagship Macbook can run with an M1 with 8GB, being able to modify and manipulate windows beyond PiP should be a no brainer and would go long way in squashing that "held back by software" talk. Instead of developing parallel to IOS, it should become an offshoot of the Mac going forward if we're going to be sharing hardware.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The thing is I don’t want to use the macOS interface for any of those apps straight on iPad. If they’re going to bring their “pro” apps over, give me interfaces that don’t absolutely require me to use one particular input method.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

The thing is I don’t want to use the macOS interface for any of those apps straight on iPad. If they’re going to bring their “pro” apps over, give me interfaces that don’t absolutely require me to use one particular input method.

Apple's been adamant for years that's not going to happen, and it's probably true if for no other reason than Apple still wants to sell you a Mac AND an iPad. I think their ultimate goal is that you're just gonna have your App/Documents/Data/Media out there synced via iCloud and when you're on your watch you get it all through the watch interface, or the Mac interface, the AR Goggles, etc. I think there's room to move the iPad interface closer to macOS than iOS without that kind of particularly annoying overlap.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Apple's been adamant for years that's not going to happen

Same with a stylus.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Hughlander posted:

Same with a stylus.

They meant those styluses that are necessary to use the device at all, not the completely optional pencil.

They have directly stated repeatedly that they're not going to merge macOS and iPadOS. That doesn't guarantee it can never happen, but personally I trust them enough to believe they're not going to do so in the foreseeable future.

But if, hypothetically, the iPad could run macOS apps in some kind of mode (via some APIs, VM or by booting into macOS), that would still not be a merger between the OSs, just like the ability to run iOS/iPadOS apps on M1 Macs doesn't constitute such a merger either.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Apple's been adamant for years that's not going to happen, and it's probably true if for no other reason than Apple still wants to sell you a Mac AND an iPad. I think their ultimate goal is that you're just gonna have your App/Documents/Data/Media out there synced via iCloud and when you're on your watch you get it all through the watch interface, or the Mac interface, the AR Goggles, etc. I think there's room to move the iPad interface closer to macOS than iOS without that kind of particularly annoying overlap.

Not sure where you're getting this from the post above yours. They could conceivably port the full engine of something like Final Cut Pro and then allow it to be presented differently based on what kind of iPad you have, whether you're using a keyboard with a trackpad / external monitor / nothing external.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
At this point literally the only things keeping me from using an iPad Pro as a primary personal computer (as distinct from the big Windows desktop machine I have specifically for gaming and stuff) are the lack of real multitasking and the inability to have proper indefinitely-running background apps.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Roadie posted:

At this point literally the only things keeping me from using an iPad Pro as a primary personal computer (as distinct from the big Windows desktop machine I have specifically for gaming and stuff) are the lack of real multitasking and the inability to have proper indefinitely-running background apps.

It actually has always had both. But what you probably mean is something in the GUI that represents this differently. What would you have in mind?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Anyone have any recommendations for pro 11 inch cases that don’t have a keyboard?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I keep seeing these comparisons of True Black (tm) between the new iPad and the old iPads and god drat. How does the new screen technology compete to the iPhone’s OLED technology? Is it cheaper than OLED and we can assume iPhones will eventually move to it as well?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reminder iPadOS has had actual mouse support for like a year now. They could absolutely port full blown MacOS / Pro / whatever apps on this dumb thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

There's been a noticeable lack of leaks overall heading into WWDC, all I've seen is the (duh) note that widgets are coming to the iPad home screen.

there’s been a ton of Mac hardware leaks— everything from the MacBook Pro chassis to the MacBook Air chassis/colors, Mac mini design refresh, and some purported slides showing chip architecture roadmap into 2022

oh and the 24” iMacs got leaked like a month before they launched too

software usually doesn’t leak that way because there’s not like a physical supply chain or design documents, etc that can be relatively easily exfiltrated.

And digging through stolen or leaked code is way harder to turn into media leaks the way that you do a CAD file or smuggled component

Also, it’s one thing to bribe a factory employee or courier or employee of an OEM or contract manufacturer for stuff, or to get somebody in there, and something else entirely to try to get pre-release iPad OS details from somebody like a senior OS dev at Apple who’s on a need-to-know list

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 23, 2021

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Reminder iPadOS has had actual mouse support for like a year now. They could absolutely port full blown MacOS / Pro / whatever apps on this dumb thing.

i don’t think anyone’s doubting whether or not porting things like logic and final cut are possible but rather the form that those ports take

e: also kind of disappointed in how often i’m noticing bloom on the 12.9’s display when the sun goes down

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 23, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've seen their stated reasons, but it's dumb that the ipad doesn't have a calculator (or weather app).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rinkles posted:

I've seen their stated reasons, but it's dumb that the ipad doesn't have a calculator (or weather app).

There is no excuse to not have one in 2021. It's embarrassing.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Put graphing and stuff in the calculator if you want to find a use for more space. Add a radar to weather. it’s easy to come up with ideas

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the story is that turtleneck man though the iphone calculator looked dumb on a 10" screen, which I guess would be fine if they had a curated list of non-dogshit, non-surveillance calculator apps on the app store.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Clark Nova posted:

the story is that turtleneck man though the iphone calculator looked dumb on a 10" screen, which I guess would be fine if they had a curated list of non-dogshit, non-surveillance calculator apps on the app store.

And also, you know, it's a completely loving solvable problem.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hatty posted:

Put graphing and stuff in the calculator if you want to find a use for more space. Add a radar to weather. it’s easy to come up with ideas

I would legit love to see a real graphing calc/math/Mathematica port on iOS

I can’t overstate how gross the whole TI public education monopoly bullshit is

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

PCalc has been in existence for like 25 years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I cannot recommend this app enough.

Download Soulver.

Best $3 I ever spent on an app. Works for both iPhone and iPad. I use my calculator everyday for work, and it’s By far the best calculator app.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Duckman2008 posted:

I cannot recommend this app enough.

Download Soulver.

Best $3 I ever spent on an app. Works for both iPhone and iPad. I use my calculator everyday for work, and it’s By far the best calculator app.

Weird! I went to check this out but it isn’t available on the Canadian app store. I use PCalc and it’s great but I do like really well done apps in general and wanted to check it out.

E: oh it’s not officially out and you can get via testflight it seems!

priznat fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 23, 2021

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

there’s been a ton of Mac hardware leaks— everything from the MacBook Pro chassis to the MacBook Air chassis/colors, Mac mini design refresh, and some purported slides showing chip architecture roadmap into 2022

oh and the 24” iMacs got leaked like a month before they launched too

software usually doesn’t leak that way because there’s not like a physical supply chain or design documents, etc that can be relatively easily exfiltrated.

And digging through stolen or leaked code is way harder to turn into media leaks the way that you do a CAD file or smuggled component

Also, it’s one thing to bribe a factory employee or courier or employee of an OEM or contract manufacturer for stuff, or to get somebody in there, and something else entirely to try to get pre-release iPad OS details from somebody like a senior OS dev at Apple who’s on a need-to-know list

Fair, the physical stuff always leaks for anything that may ever need a case/cover at some point, like the smaller notch coming this fall but from skeuomorphism going away in iOS 7, Face ID vs. touch ID, Music app revamps, there's usually a flood of rumors and leaks which are 90% bullshit but this year is pretty quiet.

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Not sure where you're getting this from the post above yours. They could conceivably port the full engine of something like Final Cut Pro and then allow it to be presented differently based on what kind of iPad you have, whether you're using a keyboard with a trackpad / external monitor / nothing external.

That was basically what I was saying, I doubt Apple would just CMD-C, CMD-V their pro apps on to the M1 iPads. They'll have their own iPad interface, which will most likely suck at first. Hopefully this is the year iPadOS becomes its own thing and not just iOS but bigger.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

It actually has always had both. But what you probably mean is something in the GUI that represents this differently. What would you have in mind?

No, it hasn't. Having two apps active at a time is not "real multitasking", and the OS will happily kill something you have running with a socket connection when it's in the background or the screen is off for long enough.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Switching between two apps isn't terrible. Anything more than that is end of times though. But I think I might be defective because I have a hell of a time even opening the screen that shows all the open apps.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Roadie posted:

No, it hasn't. Having two apps active at a time is not "real multitasking", and the OS will happily kill something you have running with a socket connection when it's in the background or the screen is off for long enough.

I watched one of the M1 iPad reviews that mentioned this specifically, in the past he had to babysit the files app when transferring video content because transfers would fail after being dumped from memory but now he can check email, Twitter and the like on the new model pro. If you tell the iPad “I want this work done” that should be handled by the operating system instead of a Bob Ross style happy accident that Thunderbolt 4 and the internal storage are faster this time around. With the innards of a MacBook you should be able to come up with something akin to PC style multitasking that works with multitouch.

The General posted:

Switching between two apps isn't terrible. Anything more than that is end of times though. But I think I might be defective because I have a hell of a time even opening the screen that shows all the open apps.

I had that issue with my 2018 Pro out of the box, I thought maybe it was a quirk but one call to AppleCare and the replacement has been rock solid.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Roadie posted:

Yeah I figured that by “real multitasking” you mean “visible in the GUI at the same time”, which is not the only possible definition.

Even the realest “real multitasking” systems like Linux/FreeBSD/whatever get real slow or start to kill processes when they run out of resources.

I agree that iOS/iPadOS are more focused on the currently visible application running fast than macOS. The paradigm is that it’s “easier to use than a conventional computer” and that includes not having to explain to people that if you run 18 apps at the same time that all use the same resource, things may start to slow down.

Maybe it’d be a solution to have some kind of mode where it allows you to run many visible apps at the same time, but explains the tradeoffs clearly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Weird! I went to check this out but it isn’t available on the Canadian app store. I use PCalc and it’s great but I do like really well done apps in general and wanted to check it out.

E: oh it’s not officially out and you can get via testflight it seems!

Ah drat, this is interesting. I assumed “oh maybe it was not available in Canada” but nope, it is not available in the US anymore either.

I assume it got discontinued for now, last update was a year ago. Big bummer for me, I use it literally all day. It’s on my iCloud backup so hopefully it works for a while.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Pre-pandemic would Apple stores let you install a specific app to the demo units to see how it feels?

The temptation is there for a 12.9 when it comes time to upgrade but I’d really want to know how a rhythm game I play feels on a screen that big before I would buy anything.
Way way way back I did this. Not sure if it's still possible (might hide App Store and such these days?) but it was essentially a matter of just signing into your account to download whatever, if you're ok with doing that on a public machine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Duckman2008 posted:

Ah drat, this is interesting. I assumed “oh maybe it was not available in Canada” but nope, it is not available in the US anymore either.

I assume it got discontinued for now, last update was a year ago. Big bummer for me, I use it literally all day. It’s on my iCloud backup so hopefully it works for a while.

From their twitter it sounds like the old version is on testflight until their v3 launch. It’s free to get with that at least! Must be some app store strangeness.

https://twitter.com/soulver/status/1395276856161615872?s=20

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

FCKGW posted:

Don't sleep on Best Buy, they usually have inventory on launch day as well but no one is obsessively refreshing their website to get one.

Yup. Just ordered my new 11” WiFi 128GB online and am going to pick it up in a bit. Exciting! Upgrading from the 10.1” pro - been waiting for this refresh for a while.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Well, this new model is very nice. The screen upgrade is noticeable. It’s my first device without a home button and I am definitely missing it. It’s a shame everything takes more actions and more time to do. I have to click the top button and swipe up to unlock instead of one quick press, and I really miss the quick double-press to task switch. Having to swipe up slowly and hold for a sec to get the task switch screen just feels clunky. Hope I get used to it soon.

Any noob tips for better navigating in this buttonless world? Also, is there any way I can get rid of this evil bar at the bottom of the screen? It’s a nuisance, especially in Safari, but all googling seems to indicate it can’t be banished. This seems incredible to me. Have I missed something?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lordshmee posted:

Well, this new model is very nice. The screen upgrade is noticeable. It’s my first device without a home button and I am definitely missing it. It’s a shame everything takes more actions and more time to do. I have to click the top button and swipe up to unlock instead of one quick press, and I really miss the quick double-press to task switch. Having to swipe up slowly and hold for a sec to get the task switch screen just feels clunky. Hope I get used to it soon.

Any noob tips for better navigating in this buttonless world? Also, is there any way I can get rid of this evil bar at the bottom of the screen? It’s a nuisance, especially in Safari, but all googling seems to indicate it can’t be banished. This seems incredible to me. Have I missed something?

That bottom bar is your virtual home button, basically. It's a subtle touch target. It can't be removed.

If you need to quickly swipe between apps just swipe left and right on the bar, you don't have to activate the switcher screen.

Your fingers will get used to swiping and once you dial in the nuance of it you'll be flying in no time. Having to go back to my iPad Mini with the home button is excruciating now.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
double tap the screen and it should turn on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Lordshmee posted:

Having to swipe up slowly and hold for a sec to get the task switch screen just feels clunky. Hope I get used to it soon.

Any noob tips for better navigating in this buttonless world?
I got my iPad on Friday, and this was me until sometime Sunday afternoon. Although this is also my first iPad, so I don’t have the muscle memory of using a home button to get around iPadOS.

I think it’s clicked now, to the extent that using my iPhone 8 with its home button now feels awkward (and I keep trying to wake it by tapping the screen, which is, yes, a much more convenient way to unlock).

Also, is it swipe up and hold to get the app switch screen? I’ve found the best way for me is to do a slow swipe up to reveal the cards, and then a quick swipe from there brings them all to the front, if that makes sense.