Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STAC Goat posted:

everything happening is about MJF, not the Pinnacle

Yes, MJF is an egomaniac that makes everything about himself, congrats on picking up on his character beats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, we've had these conversations before and doing the usual "crazy people criticizing AEW" thing is boring. Yeah, obviously there was tons of buildup with MJF and the the Inner Circle. But there was no history at all between Spears and FTR and the Inner Circle. So they had a big in ring promo where they tried to pump in heat specifically on them (and did a solid job). But everything happening is about MJF, not the Pinnacle, and they jumped straight into what what traditionally be considered a blowoff and are now jumping straight into a gimmick return match. Its very atypical pacing and its disingenuous as gently caress to act like saying that is the same as saying I want 6 months of rematches.

It might be considered a blowoff but historically it was not. The greatest War Games of all time is 1992 and the feud continued for months after. Even after the 1987 matches Dusty and the Road Warriors kept having matches with the Horsemen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

smarxist posted:

I don't think it would have been crazy to have some build of the pinnacle as it's own unit after IC and pinnacle ethered each other in brawls instead of going right into blood and guts, my slightly different preference for storytelling pacing probably warrants at least 3 pages of tedious goonery though
I mean, its not worth fantasy booking or anything but I probably would have not done that Sammy "fakeout" thing and instead spent a little time having Jericho have to win back the faith of his guys and get Sammy back on the team before they showed back up to challenge Pinacle as a unit. And in the meantime the Pinnacle could have established themselves more the way they are now and mocked Jericho and Co and got in a few beatdowns and matches. Obviously not weekly rematches with all the IC guys. But a few scattered matches to sell the idea of Pinnacles strength in numbers and the IC being weaker apart.

Rarity posted:

Yes, MJF is an egomaniac that makes everything about himself, congrats on picking up on his character beats
I think its very clear that we're largely criticizing the booking of those other guys.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Extremely weird that the leader of the group, who incidentally also happens to be one of the people who they're clearly going to build the promotion around in the future, is front and center and the rest of the group are supporting characters.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Again... the point is that I look forward to when this is done because I hope that will provide an opportunity to care more about the Pinnacle besides MJF.

This has all been good for MJF and Sammy. That's good. I look forward to stuff being good for the rest.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the pinnacle isn't a unit, though. they're a bunch of egomaniac dudes together because they all think they're the loving best + mjf has brought them together because he wants to have a bunch of skilled dudes around him as ablative armor. having half a year of slow buildup of them as a Bunch Of Dudes Who Are Good Together is not the story they're trying to tell here and it's not a bad thing that it isn't that story -- just not what you, personally, want

edit:

STAC Goat posted:

Again... the point is that I look forward to when this is done because I hope that will provide an opportunity to care more about the Pinnacle besides MJF.

This has all been good for MJF and Sammy. That's good. I look forward to stuff being good for the rest.

you could also just choose to give a poo poo about them now instead of ignoring them because they're not telling the story you want

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The pinnacle is the team that'll blow it in the tug'o'wars finals because no one can agree who is first

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The pacing of the Pinnacle/Inner Circle thing is definitely weird, but I don't mind them not teasing it out more because IC is already feeling a little long in the tooth. (I think Pinnacle is holding up their end of the feud beautifully; the promo video last week was great. I've also been super ambivalent about FTR from the jump but they've done some good talky bits in the past month or so)

I'm rooting for Pinnacle to win Stadium Stampede just to force Jericho to do something different and free up Sammy/PnP to do other poo poo, which is probably not the desired audience reaction from a high-stakes face-heel showdown

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

flatluigi posted:

you could also just choose to give a poo poo about them now instead of ignoring them because they're not telling the story you want

Isn't me focusing on their roles in this feud and wanting more for them kind of me giving a poo poo and not ignoring them? That feels like an unfair accusation to me.

xbilkis posted:

The pacing of the Pinnacle/Inner Circle thing is definitely weird, but I don't mind them not teasing it out more because IC is already feeling a little long in the tooth.

I do agree with that. For me I probably would have just done Blood and Guts in the Stadium Stampede place and used the extra time to build the story. But what's done is done. I look forward to what comes next.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Obviously the leaders are the focal point but if you're selling me that these groups hate each other, it would probably be better if more of the Pinnacle guys had a little more interaction with the Inner Circle. It would give it a little more oomph.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know, if the whole pinnacle thing is another short term setpiece for Max to stomp around on and then throw under the bus I'd be surprised, because i dunno that you can tell that story 3 times in a year or so, but if they went balls out for it to turbo charge max as an unhinged abuse artist it'd probably be interesting, but he's already got that last and only real meaningful betrayal to dish out (so excited for the day the war dog breaks free from the chain)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The core conceit of the Pinnacle is that it was a group that MJF put together in secret to blindside the IC with, so it wouldn't make much sense if the members were some established archrivals to the individual IC members.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also there's plenty of connective tissue before the formation. Spears and MJF were on screen gambling buddies for months. Tully is tied to Spears and FTR. It's very obvious how the connection happened.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Also there's plenty of connective tissue before the formation. Spears and MJF were on screen gambling buddies for months. Tully is tied to Spears and FTR. It's very obvious how the connection happened.

I agree the Pinnacle team is actually very organic and well constructed. Just not their heat with the Inner Circle (besides obviously MJF, and to a lesser extent Wardlow).

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I do think they've been going through the Pinnacle/Inner Circle feud a little quick, but I'm mainly surprised they went to the Loser Disbands match so quickly after establishing the Pinnacle as guys who can dish out punishment. Like, you could stretch things out with a Sammy/Wardlow match if you need a big semi main level match to sell DoN, but that doesn't seem to be what they're looking for.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

STAC Goat posted:

I agree the Pinnacle team is actually very organic and well constructed. Just not their heat with the Inner Circle (besides obviously MJF, and to a lesser extent Wardlow).

That's pretty well explained as just them being their inverse and wanting their spot. They're like the team that the Justice League face that have a super strong flying guy and a speedster and an alien and a shadowy gadget guy and a warrior woman.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think Sammy's got some longhaul in a Shawn Spears feud. They could do Five Awful Things over a two year span before I think people will start to check out. Tho some ppl on this forum have zero patience. You're already booking the downfall of factions that are barely formed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sammy's a future star, he really shouldn't be feuding with a guy like Shawn Spears for more than like 3 weeks

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think a short program with Sammy and Spears would have made sense during a build, but no, I wouldn't want Sammy getting bogged down there very long if the Stadium Stampede is the end of the Inner Circle. And if its not then and the feud continues after that then I just don't know what.

Lamuella posted:

That's pretty well explained as just them being their inverse and wanting their spot. They're like the team that the Justice League face that have a super strong flying guy and a speedster and an alien and a shadowy gadget guy and a warrior woman.

You can but I think that's kind of an artificial motivation that could apply to anyone in their position. And I think that's what people are responding too. The idea that the Pinnacle had a lot of organic connections interweaving them and making the team make sense is kind of the counter example. AEW is really good at that kind of subtle story and character building. They just didn't have that history with the Inner Circle, so I would have preferred them taking a beat to build some. I think it would have given the big story beats more impact and helped build up the side participants more.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 23, 2021

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rarity posted:

Sammy's a future star, he really shouldn't be feuding with a guy like Shawn Spears for more than like 3 weeks

Sammy's rise is inevitable. But Shawn could use the rub. He's pretty much coasted off of the Cody feud until recently so he needs someone he can actively plot bad poo poo against. And it doesn't necessarily need to be the entire focus of a show. You could get six weeks out of Shawn chairing the gently caress outta Sammy with enough variations that the crowd will start to get into the gag. Maybe even longer if it starts as a vlog thing.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I can absolutely see Inner Circle winning this one, then the rubber match being the blow off.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I just hope that Stadium Stampede moves things along in a big way because I've seen enough babyface Hager promos to last me a lifetime

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

I can absolutely see Inner Circle winning this one, then the rubber match being the blow off.

I can see it going either way but I think I'd lean towards the Inner Circle disbanding as being the last part of Double or Nothing and a big emotional goodbye being what they send the audience off with.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

they should 'break' Hager's jaw and make him wear headgear like from GWAR. And not talk.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I gotta feel like Jake is more or less done when IC is done, right? Like I don't know what his contract entails but who the gently caress wants to see him hanging around jobbing to Fuego on Dark2, Thursday afternoons on twitch

(me, I do)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I guess this probably isn’t a decisive factor in booking, but there are presumably gonna be so many other heel victories at DoN that I have a hard time seeing the Inner Circle losing and disbanding too

I generally assume my instincts of when to wrap up a storyline/get out while the getting’s good is not necessarily aligned with a wrestling company, particularly when it comes to Jericho and a faction that is ostensibly still popular and a ratings draw. Plus they’ve been talking about a summer of violence and whatnot

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is it the ppv today?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There's no way the IC is losing Stadium Stampede. They're gonna keep this feud going over the summer at least because it's money now and is gonna be even more money once they resume touring.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Cavauro posted:

is it the ppv today?

i was going to make a joke about some other companys ppv being today, but there is nothing on today apparently

sorry

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ok thanks. i thought it was the ppv today.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I, for one, eagerly anticipate the blowoff Tully Blanchard on a pole match at All Out.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the only two good hager promos were the one where he said nothing and the one where he said championships

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

the only two good hager promos were the one where he said nothing and the one where he said championships

I liked his poem.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I, for one, eagerly anticipate the blowoff Tully Blanchard on a pole match at All Out.

they already had a tully on a pole match

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I feel like the whole angle would go over more if they were jokey faces and not sincerely apologetic faces.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

magiccarpet posted:

I feel like the whole angle would go over more if they were jokey faces and not sincerely apologetic faces.

Chris Jericho calling them the Pineapple isn't jokey enough for you?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

magiccarpet posted:

I find the sincerely apologetic thing very false. I think it all would have played better if they had allowed Jericho to be the "bad guy" who got played by MJF and had to make it up to the others and win them back. It would have made Jericho's apologies feel more sincere and the other guys would have gotten distance from culpability and more sympathy.

I think that's the problem. The Pinnacle didn't really do anything major to Inner Circle. They injured Jericho, embarrassed them, bloodied them a bit, got Santana arrested. I think it would have been a lot bigger if MJF had really broken the Inner Circle and they had to try and heal as a group.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

magiccarpet posted:

I respectfully disagree for 2 reasons

1) This is a blood feud, the time for joking is over, I'd say

2) I actually like the idea heels feeling contrite and owning their actions. All too often when heels turn face, they don't change their behavior aside from welcoming cheers and feuding with heels.

quote:

I think that's the problem. The Pinnacle didn't really do anything major to Inner Circle. They injured Jericho, embarrassed them, bloodied them a bit, got Santana arrested. I think it would have been a lot bigger if MJF had really broken the Inner Circle and they had to try and heal as a group.

The initial assault was pretty horrific, Sammy and Jericho in particular looked like extras from Carrie

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 23, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the pinnacle did nothing to the inner circle except beat them up mercilessly from literally the moment they debuted as a faction and have been out for their blood ever since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

they already had a tully on a pole match

LOL I forgot about this

At first glance, it really does look like Spears had a wardrobe malfunction instead of it being a pic of Tully