Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nessus posted:

Toughen up your rear end. I think you'd be able to pop some healing items before you actually die, wouldn't you?

If I did would I be asking the question? I'm locked out of getting more too it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you have no healing items or skill points and can't pass any check then you need to load a earlier save because you screwed yourself.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Theres a security booth in the harbor with some healing items you can snag

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I jumped into the harbor for the first time at like 1am and there was a key card to get out next to the coffee machine on the bottom level of Evrart's container. If you have a book you can read the day away and then check there once it's late enough that he's gone.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Timotheous Venture posted:

If you have a book you can read the day away

Ledger works too

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nordick posted:

:siren: Horrific Necktie is now available as official Disco Elysium merch.

https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1395774604413739012

loving FINALLY

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So if I can't survive Evrart's uncomfortable chair but also can't leave the docks, wtf am I supposed to do?

grab the keycard to bail and get more healing if you can't get to the guard post. If you've gotten there in the first place you probably have a way out

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

christmas boots posted:

There’s a security booth in the harbor with some healing items you can snag

That may work. Ken made me hesitant to explore.

Edit: worked, thx very much. I'm not good at video games.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 23, 2021

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think I know the answer to this, but is there any chance down the line the 190 page artbook with behind the scenes stuff will come out *outside* of the $250 special edition?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Nordick posted:

WHO CARES ROBERT GIVE ME THE loving BOOK

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah, like I'm ever going to wear a tie!

That would be a dope Halloween costume though...

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I have worn a tie exactly once in my life, when my best friend got married and insisted I wear a tie to her wedding. I would give a lot for the chance to send a Horrific Necktie back in time to my past wedding going self in place of the drab grey one I had.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

That may work. Ken made me hesitant to explore.

Edit: worked, thx very much. I'm not good at video games.

Kim is actually a lot more tolerant of your bullshit than it may seem from his first appearance.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Nordick posted:

I'll buy all that poo poo.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
drat, the only shirt I would wear is the thought cabinet one and it's basically sold out in every size except small and xxl. I bought the skyline poster though, I would get Kim's notebook, but I wouldn't want to use it, and the rest is either boring or just a straight up strange design choice for merchandise. The horrific necktie is great though.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Nordick posted:

Hell yeah, got the necktie and statue poster. I'm surprised there isn't a thought cabinet poster.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That would be a dope Halloween costume though...

Horrific Necktie: DON'T DO ME LIKE THAT *BRATAN.* THINK OF ALL THE TIME WE COULD HAVE TOGETHER! LONG WALKS ON THE BEACH, NIGHTS RIPPING THE HOTTEST CLUBS, DOING RAILS OFF THE BACK OF AN UNWASHED URINAL! PUT ME ON! DON'T DO IT FOR ME *BRATAN* DO IT FOR YOURSELF!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I would have loved a pissfaggot jacket but then again I wouldn't have been able to wear it anyway. gently caress the world is a bit too generic.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I swear there's a uncensored voice clip that says Foucalt (EDIT: actually Flaubert ) is the f*****t word.

But maybe my expectations are just skewed by the article about it from before the Final Cut.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 24, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Franais.

EorayMel posted:

:siren: there's a reaction speed check with Acele after dealing with the skulls that doesn't censor the narration of PISSF***** :siren:

Also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EorayMel posted:

:siren: there's a reaction speed check with Acele after dealing with the skulls that doesn't censor the narration of PISSF***** :siren:

I caught three instances of the VO accidentially being left uncensored in my run

- the narrator just says human being
- pissf****t says flaubert instead
- one of the hardies says fucktard instead

It doesn't really matter but it's odd how it differs between the voice actors

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

repiv posted:

I caught three instances of the VO accidentially being left uncensored in my run

- the narrator just says human being
- pissf****t says flaubert instead
- one of the hardies says fucktard instead

It doesn't really matter but it's odd how it differs between the voice actors

I'm guessing since it was getting censored, the actors were free to fudge it a bit if they preferred to say a different filler word starting with F?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That would make sense, yeah

The jacket is called jacket_pissflaubert in the games files so that's the closest thing to canon I guess

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Oh, found the blog article someone wrote up about it. I think it went over my head a bit, so posted without opinion.

https://zoyastreet.wordpress.com/2020/08/14/pissft-about-a-jacket-in-disco-elysium/

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Welp, I've just finished the game. Took me a while and yet I feel there's so much more left. I'll probably wait a little bit before the second run though.

I think I got a pretty good ending but I'm not sure how many variables are there.

I screamed when I saw the phasmid. Such a beautiful and majestic creature :swoon:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'm pretty certain Glen says F****t uncensored but I figured the leniency came from the character himself being gay.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

macabresca posted:

Welp, I've just finished the game. Took me a while and yet I feel there's so much more left. I'll probably wait a little bit before the second run though.

I think I got a pretty good ending but I'm not sure how many variables are there.

I screamed when I saw the phasmid. Such a beautiful and majestic creature :swoon:

Congrats! When you play a second time be prepared to see a bunch of stuff not change as well as some stuff change.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Just started my second play through. The first time, I went 4/4/2/2. This time, I'm going 4/3/2/3 and I'm intentionally avoiding inspecting the body to get the achievement. I'm surprised how much different the game feels with different skills and a different route. For example, I remember when I talked to Measurehead about his own ethnicity, I get warned not to point out he was born locally. This time around, with different skills and talking to him earlier? No warning whatsoever. Makes me wonder what else I'm going to blunder into, but without any forewarning due to the different skills/route.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bob Socko posted:

Just started my second play through. The first time, I went 4/4/2/2. This time, I'm going 4/3/2/3 and I'm intentionally avoiding inspecting the body to get the achievement. I'm surprised how much different the game feels with different skills and a different route. For example, I remember when I talked to Measurehead about his own ethnicity, I get warned not to point out he was born locally. This time around, with different skills and talking to him earlier? No warning whatsoever. Makes me wonder what else I'm going to blunder into, but without any forewarning due to the different skills/route.

I dont imagine it will be all that different, you only moved one point. You do you of course but I dont think the difference will be as much of a different experience as say going from 5/5/1/1 to 1/1/5/5 for example. Thoughts and where you put your skill points will make a difference too if course

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah IIRC most skill passives require a minimum initial investment of 4 to really start being chatty and that 1 point difference won't change much. Heck just inverting your first choice and going 2/2/4/4 would produce a pretty different experience.

The biggest differences IMO are x/4/4/x. The psy and fys skills are very chatty passives especially shivers and espirit de corps.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
HARDCORE!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

UnknownMercenary posted:

The psy and fys skills are very chatty passives especially shivers and espirit de corps.

I really enjoyed having good Espirit de Corps. You get a lot of reads on Kim and what he's thinking. Makes his depth a bit more apparent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flayer posted:

I would have loved a pissfaggot jacket but then again I wouldn't have been able to wear it anyway. gently caress the world is a bit too generic.

What if the f word is blurred on the jacket

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Kim is actually a lot more tolerant of your bullshit than it may seem from his first appearance.

Im playing through for the first time and I loved this Kim appears to respect me (at least according to the +1 Kim respects you modifiers Im getting on checks even tho Im playing the protag as Will Graham who melts down when anyone slightly mean to him. He gets that your methods are unorthodox but as long as youre getting results hes fine.

And then the reveal that you used to be a legit great cop contextualises it somewhat.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I don't want to do Hobocop because the idea of making Harry sleep outside on a cold night makes me a bit sad and even his wrecked crash pad at Whirling-In-Rags seems alright by comparison.

And gently caress me if doing a sober Harry run isn't a bit too real.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Heard good things about this since forever, never got around to trying but did finally get around to reading the LP on the sub forum here. Which now means I immediately want to talk about it.

Undoubtedly a great game, with a lot of cool and interesting ideas but I can't help but feel that catching the actual culprit is uhh a bit of a let down. Major spoilers.

Surprise! It's some guy. On an island. A mile away. Who not only has zero story significance prior to the reveal but also has barely interacted with human society in a half century. Whose sole motive for murder is incel-ly Jason Voorhees reasons. Compounded by a magic insect driving him insane with pheromones.

To clarify I do think The Deserter is a well-written character with interesting dialogue options, I just don't like him as the culprit to the central mystery. As a killer in a side mystery he'd be fine, but as the killer for the central mystery he comes a bit too far out of left field for me.

Obvious question is, who would I prefer as the culprit? Well Klaasje I guess. I like the elegance of the first person you meet being the culprit but you not realising it. Yeah she liked Lely, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have killed him. Maybe her past caught up to here and she got blackmailed into killing him as an out. (Evrart or Edgar could threaten to turn her over unless she did it for example). To me that makes a lot more sense than "communist holdout sniping a dude for puritanical reasons". Or maybe Klaasje found out Lely was going to commit exciting war crimes and took him out first. I guess the devs thought Klaasje was a bit too predictable as a culprit but to me it strikes me as the right kind of throwback to the detective fiction that the game nods to. Or maybe they worried about the story going wrong if you arrest Klaasje earlier on. She's also lot more involved in the various schemes and misdirections in the story and I like culprits to actually be present in the story. I do think this can sometimes be a bit of a problem in detective games - I remember chapters of LA Noire where on a case you could catch the culprit, or the *TRUE* culprit.. but then at the end of the chapter you'd need to hunt down the SECRET MASTERMIND *TRUE* *TRUE-FOR-REAL-THIS-TIME* culprit which just makes your work on the individual cases feel pointless. Disco Elysium is a better and better written game than that, but to me the culprit being *some guy* for *reasons* was a bit of a letdown that made a lot of the investigation seem kinda pointless. The Dick Mullen Missing Identity novel mentions that the endings to detective stories usually don't hold up which I kinda take as an implicit admission that they knew the conclusion wasn't quite holding up to the strong setup and middlegame.

I also think there would be more sense in Ruby being the culprit. Yeah Ruby also only appears late into the game, but there's a lot more foreshadowing about her and again she's much more involved in people's schemes and machinations than the deserter is. I do like the twist of it NOT being Ruby though, it hits the right notes of "oh poo poo, we got PLAYED".

I like the payoff to the cryptid too, but again I think it would work better as a zany side investigation rather than as a beat in the main story.

I imagine I'm not the first to say that, but uh that's the issue with playing reading a game late. Apologies if I got anything wrong, I only read that LP and I guess in general it's a difficult game to truly explore everything.

Anyway to further repeat obvious things that must've already been said a thousand times.

Kim is such a well written character. He's stuck playing straight man to your insane psychocop which a lot of the time would run the risk of him being boring in comparison, but he has just the right levels of his own quirks to avoid this pitfall. Guy is a goddamn saint for putting up with all your bullshit though.

I really like the old school RPG influences that the game has in its DNA. Evrart being inspired by Gizmo in Fallout1 is one of the most obvious ones. You can also draw a lot of parallels with Planescape:Torment too, not least the willingness to throw a thousand words in your face if it thinks something warrants them or having such emotional weight to it that some dialogue options are actually painful to choose.

I think the game's approach to skill checks is well done too. In some case failing a check is better or more interesting than succeeding at it, which helps minimize the incentive for save-scuming in a story driven game. This owes more to tabletop RPGs than videogames and yeah some things you might still want to save scum but still I think it's a good approach. If this game was like a CYOA gamebook with its approach to skillchecks then that would immediately knock off 2 points on a hypothetical /10 rating system.

I like that the game isn't afraid to get silly sometimes. Or to have weird dialogue options. A lot of the time I don't end up choosing weird/silly dialogue options in games, but just reading them as a possible option can still be funny/interesting. I also like how the game toys with politics - I don't want to say it's 'deep' because our cop is like a child who only heard about these concepts literally hours ago.. but it is brave about dipping its toes into politics + concepts and even a surface level discussion still a) can highlight the absurdity of some philosophies, b) invite you to think about things yourself.

I think the world building is really well done. There are a lot of things in the setting that are analogous to complex things in the real world, but having them in a fictional world allows the writers to avoid people's baggage + prejudices and also allows them to soften the more unsavoury elements. I think the game's social commentary is more nuanced and detailed for having racist characters for example, but if the races and racist slurs were real rather than fictional then those conversations would be much more unpleasant. I think the game does a good job of gradually explaining it's messy complicated world too - can you imagine how much worse the game would be if it tried to front load infodump everything on you in a misguided attempt to show how much effort they'd put in to world building.

I like that the game had the courage of its convictions to almost completely avoid combat. And when it does have combat it's really good at establishing the stakes and building the tension, in great contrast to well... every other game ever. So many games cram things into them because they feel obligated to have them, so I think this game really needs to be celebrated as a testament to focussed design and doing something unique. It has massive sprawling dialogue sure, but the gameplay features are focussed.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
With regards to your spoilers, while I understand the sentiment, the game is much more interested in Harry's identity than the murderer's. This also makes it much more enjoyable to replay.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If the murderer could be found early on that would probably dampen replay value as you speedrun to find the smoking gun evidence or get angry at the writing for not letting you accuse the person immediately and then the driving force of the game is over when you do.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Elite posted:

The Dick Mullen Missing Identity novel mentions that the endings to detective stories usually don't hold up which I kinda take as an implicit admission that they knew the conclusion wasn't quite holding up to the strong setup and middlegame.

The game is not actually a detective story. Or at least it's not about a murder mystery. The game tries many times to drive that home, and the ending is sort of just the final nail in the coffin. It has the superficial trappings of a detective story, but it isn't.

Disco Elysium belongs to another genre entirely, hauntology. And the reveal is the perfect ending for a hauntology story. Although, there is the added twist where the old man on the island works for Evrart. Evrart might not really be responsible for THIS murder... but he is at least partly responsible for the guy being out there, armed and dangerous, and he's had the sniper kill people for him before instead of dealing with him. You get hints towards this at various points in the game. Even this is in keeping with the framework of a proper hauntology story.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

I like the protagonist being the Deserter because it ties into the themes of holding onto the past being what destroys people. I also like how the story pretty definitively breaks all of Knox's laws on detective fiction, I havent thought as to why but it makes it feel very "modernist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ronald Knox: 10 Commandments of Detective Fiction (i.e. What makes something a "good detective story")
- The criminal must be someone mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to follow.
- All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.
- Not more than one secret room or passage is allowable.
- No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.
- No Chinaman must figure in the story.
- No accident must ever help the detective, nor must he ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right.
- The detective must not himself commit the crime.
- The detective must not light on any clues which are not instantly produced for the inspection of the reader.
- The stupid friend of the detective, the Watson, must not conceal any thoughts which pass through his mind; his intelligence must be slightly, but very slightly, below that of the average reader.
- Twin brothers, and doubles generally, must not appear unless we have been duly prepared for them.

Disco Elysium is, by pretty much every measure, an absolutely horrible detective story. This is absolutely, undeniably intentional.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 29, 2021