Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Carthag Tuek posted:

e: do people only live on the east coast in scotland? i always thought it was like norway with west-facing fjords & such.

i suppose the only sweden norway has is to the south
Everyone lives in the central belt or around Aberdeen. I have heard rumors of people living in Inverness, but the Highlands and Islands has a very low population density.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Saladman posted:

That does a great job of highlighting how bizarre the population density is in Spain vs. the rest of the EU. Also apparently Bosniaks don't play football.

If it's from OpenStreetMaps data, then it's not that the mapmaker decided to ignore those regions, it's just that no one local has entered their fields. I guess in Romania, they've only entered like major pitches, whereas in Western Europe every grade school field and etc has been entered.

Also what's up with that band of the Netherlands that has no fields?

I guess it's the IJsselmeer and Markermeer, but they're colored as land for some reason.

I meant the regions like southern Sicily, Crete, parts of Portugal or the entirety of Finland that didn't make it on the map. But yeah, the different degrees of detail in OSM also is gonna play a role

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

From here. I guess I'm surprised by how similar France and Spain look, and the density all along the N Africa coast in the last pic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone lives in the central belt or around Aberdeen. I have heard rumors of people living in Inverness, but the Highlands and Islands has a very low population density.

Aha! takker!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Carthag Tuek posted:

e: do people only live on the east coast in scotland? i always thought it was like norway with west-facing fjords & such.

i suppose the only sweden that scotland has is to the south

people only live in Edinburgh and glasgow which are right next to each other

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Carthag Tuek posted:

i like how geology* prevented some soccer fields in northwest england & scotland. it almost looks like the fields blew in from the east lol

* or idk the atlantic wind?

yeah most of that empty space in the northwest is the lake district which is both a national park and well mostly hills and lakes

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Carthag Tuek posted:

i like how geology* prevented some soccer fields in northwest england & scotland. it almost looks like the fields blew in from the east lol

* or idk the atlantic wind?

Also visible in the map: the Alps

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Range of nonhuman primates

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Platystemon posted:

Range of nonhuman primates

If there are primates in Sulawesi and those other islands, why did they stop there instead of colonizing New Guinea and then Australia? They're already east of the Wallace Line at that point, is there some other barrier?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ponsonby Britt posted:

If there are primates in Sulawesi and those other islands, why did they stop there instead of colonizing New Guinea and then Australia? They're already east of the Wallace Line at that point, is there some other barrier?

Lydekker’s line.

Wallace’s is the most famous, but Lydekker’s line is more meaningful for monkeys.

The area was wet at the glacial maximum, but not too broad for monkeys to traverse.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 23, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

According to Wikipedia, today the most tea drinking (per capita) countries are Turkey, Ireland, UK, Iran, and Russia. Seems like the Middle East and Eastern Europe were less important markets when this was made.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

According to Wikipedia, today the most tea drinking (per capita) countries are Turkey, Ireland, UK, Iran, and Russia. Seems like the Middle East and Eastern Europe were less important markets when this was made.

Ireland is fairly surprising but Turkey being 30% higher than everybody else isn't. Shocked Afghanistan isn't up there, all the afghans I know are just as tea obsessed as turks but just prefer green tea.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
A quick googling says Afghanistan imports 10lbs per capita. Doesn't nesecarily mean all of that gets drunk, but it's probably safe to say they make the top 5.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sax Solo posted:

From here. I guess I'm surprised by how similar France and Spain look, and the density all along the N Africa coast in the last pic.

Those are pretty maps, but they hide the difference between "almost unpopulated" and "sparsely populated". France's countryside is "sparsely populated" whereas in Spain, you can look for miles without even seeing a single farmhouse. There are *farms* everywhere, but people must commute insanely far to go to their farms.

There was a similar map to the one you posted, that was posted a few months or a year or two ago, that used the same "Manhattan" style of plotting, but without the distracting light source and coloration, and in that one you can see the difference between Spain and France much more clearly. I couldn't find it in a quick Google though.

Ah, no, here it is: https://tjukanovt.github.io/ghspop

That one is less "fancy" but much better as an interpretable graph. Use the arrow keys to move the graph left/right/up/down.

The North African coast is not particularly densely populated either, not sure why it shows up so prominently on the other chart. I've been all over northern Tunisia and there are people and farms everywhere, but it's not exactly high population.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 23, 2021

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Carthag Tuek posted:

It's basically just population.jpg. Hardly anyone lives in the highlands, and the nature of the topography makes constructing football pitches difficult.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

What's the actual difference between green and blue? Is it a matter of, for example, my CA falconry license is also valid in WA, but not in TX, and my TX falconry license is not valid in any other state?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I'm shocked there's laws regulating a sport basically no one plays.
https://twitter.com/AsFarce/status/1395154050077716480

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Space Kablooey posted:

What's the actual difference between green and blue? Is it a matter of, for example, my CA falconry license is also valid in WA, but not in TX, and my TX falconry license is not valid in any other state?

I posted it because falconry is a meme, but it turns out that it’s at least nine years out of date because the federal government hasn’t been in the permit business since 2012.

Connecticut and Delaware have since established falconry permit systems, legalizing it. :2bong:

Falfonry remains illegal in Hawai‘i due to fears that escaped birds could establish feral populations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Ireland is fairly surprising but Turkey being 30% higher than everybody else isn't. Shocked Afghanistan isn't up there, all the afghans I know are just as tea obsessed as turks but just prefer green tea.

india also isn't on there when tea is basically a religion over there. I think it may just be poor reporting.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I was always under the impression that it was coffee that was the inscrutable Turkish vice seducing the kings subjects into the foul arms of Liberalism. But apparently they like tea? Is this something that changed since then, they drink tea and coffee both, or that the Turkish love of coffee was vastly overstated?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Turkish coffee and Turkish tea are both delicious so I'd be hard-pressed to choose if I were Turkish.

Luckily I'm American so they're both poo poo and I just drink coffee out of habit

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I'm shocked there's laws regulating a sport basically no one plays.
https://twitter.com/AsFarce/status/1395154050077716480

How do you even "play"

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Vasukhani posted:

How do you even "play"

You play bridge, and your falcon is your partner.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
"engage in" I guess. I dunno you watch a bird murder rabbits or something.

galagazombie posted:

I was always under the impression that it was coffee that was the inscrutable Turkish vice seducing the kings subjects into the foul arms of Liberalism. But apparently they like tea? Is this something that changed since then, they drink tea and coffee both, or that the Turkish love of coffee was vastly overstated?

Coffee is a well loved desert and social drink, but Turks drink tea at literally every meal and in-between. When I'm at a dig site the Turks take periodic breaks from breaking their backs in the blistering sun to cool down with a nice scorching hot tea. It's insufferable, really.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

india also isn't on there when tea is basically a religion over there. I think it may just be poor reporting.

Yeah, I looked it up and India is at a bit less than two pounds per person per year but steadily rising. They'd make the list and urban Indian tea culture is pretty identical to the UK's.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Croatia is the sole heir to Yugoslavia's musical heritage, apparently.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Can't believe the Poles didn't win with their on stage butter churning that one year.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Does competing in Eurovision violate Switzerland’s vow of neutrality?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's funny that Italy just now is on the same level as one Johnny Logan.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Blut posted:

This one took me a minute because I'm not used to blue denoting land.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Blut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsKn5KX6XnU&ab_channel=LepaBrena

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Saladman posted:

The North African coast is not particularly densely populated either, not sure why it shows up so prominently on the other chart. I've been all over northern Tunisia and there are people and farms everywhere, but it's not exactly high population.
I think the small villages on the African coast are just very densely packed. It gives an impression of huge population in that map, but in reality theres just a lot of small towns in area where people live multiple families in densely packed clusters of houses, which yields those very high spikes, whereas in europe those spikes only occur in the centre of large cities.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Blut posted:

Luxembourg has won Eurovision 5 times?? Good lord.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

IIRC, the competition was much less crowded back in the day.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Also, none of the winning singers were from Luxembourg (four were French, one was Greek).

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Luxembourg used to have the reputation of a musical hotspot due to their national radio station, which was a kernel of today’s RTL conglomerate. Radio Luxembourg was what my grandparents would listen to when they wanted to hear the lates American hits.
And Luxembourg would just hire whoever was hot in France at the time to win under their flag.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Saladman posted:

5 wins for Luxembourg, 5 wins for the Netherlands and 5 wins for Ireland. The secret to Eurovision success appears to be enabling corporate tax evasion.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Luxembourg used to have the reputation of a musical hotspot due to their national radio station, which was a kernel of today’s RTL conglomerate. Radio Luxembourg was what my grandparents would listen to when they wanted to hear the lates American hits.
And Luxembourg would just hire whoever was hot in France at the time to win under their flag.

Yeah exactly Luxembourg used to be the centre of europe's music industry because they could broadcast stuff into surrounding countries while circumventing those country's laws. Also tax avoidance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's some big Civ energy.

*spams great artists at the border*