Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I mean yes and no, it doesn't actually have that reality TV vibe to it, more of an award ceremony sort of feel? No long speeches about themselves through multiple episodes etc.

Also it's a lot more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Women outperform men in ultradistance swimming: the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim from 1983 to 2013

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24584647/

quote:

Purpose: Recent studies suggested that women's and men's ultraswim performances may be similar for distances of ≈ 35 km. The current study investigated both the gender difference and the age of peak ultraswim performance between 1983 and 203 at the 46-km Manhattan Island Marathon Swim with water temperatures < 20°C.

Methods: Changes in race times and gender difference in 551 male and 237 female finishers were investigated using linear-, nonlinear, and hierarchical multilevel-regression analyses.

Results: The top 19 race times ever were significantly (P < .0001) lower for women (371 ± 11 min) than for men (424 ± 9 min). Race times of the annual 3 fastest women and men did not differ between genders and remained stable across years. The age of the annual 3 fastest swimmers increased from 28 ± 4 y (1983) to 38 ± 6 y (2013; r² = .06, P = .03) in women and from 23 ± 4 y (1984) to 42 ± 8 y (2013; r² = .19, P < .0001 )in men.

Conclusion: The best women were ≈12 - 14% faster than the men in a 46-km open-water ultradistance race with temperatures < 20°C. The maturity of ultradistance swimmers has changed during the last decades, with the fastest swimmers becoming older across the years.

(I recently read Lynne Cox' - American endurance swimmer - autobiography "Swimming to Antarctica" - amazing (and scary!) - very inspiring- swimming a stretch off Antarctica literally through ice cutting into her in just a regular swimsuit and swim hat - no bodysuits etc - she credits some of her ability to tolerate conditions that would be extremely detrimental to those of what you would normally expect to see an athlete look like, to her protective layer of body fat).

and are, IIRC, level pegging with men in endurance sports:

see for example: https://www.ironman.com/hall-of-fame

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Eurovision isn't explictly about mocking and exploiting vulnerable people so it's sort of better.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

I tried to explain eurovision to my housemates from India, they were not amused.

Something something cultural barriers.

I think they thought it was severely uncool along the lines of Britain's got talent and the like.

I always thought that if Westerners scared of Arabs could just watch Arabs' Got Talent streaming from somewhere in the Gulf (Dubai I think - though acts were from all over the arab world including Saudi - I used to watch it on tv in Cairo), they wouldn't be scared anymore. All those impassioned, intense, waggling, eyebrows singing 'habiby'. Just as poo poo as the UK version.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Women outperform men in ultradistance swimming: the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim from 1983 to 2013

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24584647/

(I recently read Lynne Cox' - American endurance swimmer - autobiography "Swimming to Antarctica" - amazing (and scary!) - very inspiring- swimming a stretch off Antarctica literally through ice cutting into her in just a regular swimsuit and swim hat - no bodysuits etc - she credits some of her ability to tolerate conditions that would be extremely detrimental to those of what you would normally expect to see an athlete look like, to her protective layer of body fat).

and are, IIRC, level pegging with men in endurance sports:

see for example: https://www.ironman.com/hall-of-fame
That makes sense as the female body naturally has a higher store of fat than the male body, probably pretty handy in cold temperatures for endurance sports where muscle strength is going to be irrelevant.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Flayer posted:

That makes sense as the female body naturally has a higher store of fat than the male body, probably pretty handy in cold temperatures for endurance sports where muscle strength is going to be irrelevant.

On the subject of cold temperature endurance sports- 21 deaths on an ultramarathon in China due to unexpectedly severe weather. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57216601

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
This would actually fit perfectly with something I read (probably here) a year ago that he was having to put in actual hard work for the first time in his life because his publisher paid him a massive advance, and finally issued an ultimatum of "if we don't see a draft soon, we're cancelling the book and will demand all our money back. No, we don't care if you're the prime minister, that's not our problem."

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
2017 margins would have allowed the creation of a new law to force the prime minister to write his book and send it to his publisher.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Payndz posted:

This would actually fit perfectly with something I read (probably here) a year ago that he was having to put in actual hard work for the first time in his life because his publisher paid him a massive advance, and finally issued an ultimatum of "if we don't see a draft soon, we're cancelling the book and will demand all our money back. No, we don't care if you're the prime minister, that's not our problem."

It is really funny to me that Johnson, after completely winning politics and burying all of his enemies on the left and right and preceeding over a level of open corruption previously unseen in British politics, still somehow seems to be broke and on the verge of bankruptcy

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It honestly does remind me of 18th century nobles: supposedly hugely rich but in reality mired in debt and forever mortgaging off their lands and pursuing wealthy heiresses so they could keep up appearances.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Guardian journalist in broken clock shocker?
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/23/reform-electoral-system-or-keep-losing-to-tories-keir-starmer-warned

Reforming does have strong grand narrative vibes. If we're ever going to get a left wing government by anything other than luck, it'll be necessary to dismantle the tory hegemony built into our electoral system and level the playing field. All the other opposition parties would have a good reason to support change to PR and that'll amplify the sense of popular support. Though without a doubt the lib dems will gently caress things up by unilaterally campaigning for single transferrable Swinson.
A campaign for this has so many angles of attack. You can make it relevant to pretty much anything and keep banging on about it until it becomes received knowledge that reform is essential.
Society is unfair because because our politics is, with FPTP the rotten core. The ridiculously flimsy assertion that FPTP is simpler accepts the fact that it silences voices which deserve to be heard.
The legitimacy of the government itself under FPTP is questionable. The tories haven't been beholden to the public for a second longer than necessary. They aren't even representing the interests of the farming and fishing communities that voted for them, never mind the rest. Every draconian measure, every new bill or law, every fuckup, lends support to the idea that we elect a dictatorship every few years and then get hung out to dry.
When Sunak inevitably starts making noises about hard choices and solving the fiscal deficit, what authority does he have in a system with a democratic deficit, where barely 40% of the votes gets nearly 60% of the seats and 100% of the power?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

multijoe posted:

It is really funny to me that Johnson, after completely winning politics and burying all of his enemies on the left and right and preceeding over a level of open corruption previously unseen in British politics, still somehow seems to be broke and on the verge of bankruptcy

I was reading an article on the difference between rich and wealthy - basically the former stops being rich if they stop working, the latter can just fall back on their passive income from owning stuff.

Johnson is rich, but moves in wealthy circles, so the keeping up with the Jones means he's living well beyond his means.
Also, the constant bribes to keep his affairs and lovechildren quiets must drain a lot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The army, and also all the tory voters still would vote for him anyway.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1396523461816750081
Get ready for the first of many Jo Cox references from Labour this by-election.

God this is going to be grim.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh so this is when we start to acknowledge that a sitting MP was assassinated in the street?

:barf:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Pistol_Pete posted:

It honestly does remind me of 18th century nobles: supposedly hugely rich but in reality mired in debt and forever mortgaging off their lands and pursuing wealthy heiresses so they could keep up appearances.

did they have cocaine in the 18th century

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

XMNN posted:

did they have cocaine in the 18th century

Not created until the 1860s.

18th century dissolute aristocrats had to make do with laudanum.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Soylent Yellow posted:

Not created until the 1860s.

18th century dissolute aristocrats had to make do with laudanum.

Or straight opium. That said I associate the broke aristocrats marrying mill owners/yanks' daughters more with the 19th century.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It was all booze and tobacco back then: richer people drank so heavily that they seriously shortened their own lives.

I don't know why the 18th century was so massively boozy, but people back then drank really shocking amounts compared to today.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that the drunk white people dance was apparently a thing back then too.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Imagine buying so much liquor you have to bring your receipt spike to parties.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It was also a lot of visiting sex workers. The Rakes progress shown above was meant to show "loosening moral virtue" or whatever the gently caress but sex work has been a major outgoing for the aristocracy for centuries.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pistol_Pete posted:

It was all booze and tobacco back then: richer people drank so heavily that they seriously shortened their own lives.

I don't know why the 18th century was so massively boozy, but people back then drank really shocking amounts compared to today.

The drinking water was filthy. You could be reasonably sure booze wouldn’t give you horrific dysentery

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

multijoe posted:

It's funny to me that Johnson, several decades after having scraped his upper second, managed to create the necessary set of circumstances that would cause him to suffer weeks of essay crisis while being loving Prime Minister.

Josef bugman posted:

The Rakes progress shown above was meant to show "loosening moral virtue" or whatever the gently caress
Marriage a la mode, surely?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1396325625971892225

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1396326876700807172

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1396365336849485825

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

I like that the drunk white people dance was apparently a thing back then too.

The clock shows that it's after 3am. The footman in the background is openly yawning and thinking: " Are these idiots ever going to go to bed?" The steward (who's a Methodist) is stalking out of the room, fretting about his employer's total disregard for solvency. The husband is absolutely steaming drunk and is collapsed in a chair, trying not to be sick. His broken sword indicates that he's been brawling in the street; the ladies underwear poking out of his pocket indicate that he's been touring the strip clubs. Meanwhile his wife, who you'd think would be annoyed at his late return, is looking suspiciously happy and satisfied. I wonder what she's been getting up to?

Those were the days :)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cefte posted:

Marriage a la mode, surely?

gently caress your right.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Prince Charlie The Deranged is taking the neo out of neo-feudalism https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/23/prince-charles-small-scale-family-farms-must-be-at-heart-of-sustainable-future

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Blood and soil.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

The clock shows that it's after 3am. The footman in the background is openly yawning and thinking: " Are these idiots ever going to go to bed?" The steward (who's a Methodist) is stalking out of the room, fretting about his employer's total disregard for solvency. The husband is absolutely steaming drunk and is collapsed in a chair, trying not to be sick. His broken sword indicates that he's been brawling in the street; the ladies underwear poking out of his pocket indicate that he's been touring the strip clubs. Meanwhile his wife, who you'd think would be annoyed at his late return, is looking suspiciously happy and satisfied. I wonder what she's been getting up to?

Those were the days :)

broken sword = impotence surely?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Warning

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Pistol_Pete posted:

The clock shows that it's after 3am.

are they not just day drinking?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

The drinking water was filthy. You could be reasonably sure booze wouldn’t give you horrific dysentery

Apparently before the Victorian public sewerage works, many Brits had permanent diarrhoea (so my physiotherapist told me).

Ale for breakfast was normal amongst all classes back in the olden days. The Brits were permanently pissed.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

And yet there are still people in the replies saying "no, when they said herd immunity they meant via vaccine" (in spring 2020!), or "there was no vaccine in sight, so what else could they do?" (other than the effective methods used in other countries including competent test&trace) :sigh:

Also twisto made an interesting post before the elections kicked off, in our discussion regarding what should have happened at the beginning, masks, handwashing, airborne-ness etc. I found this article the other day, which is an interesting addition to the mix - the physics and biology of airborne particles and aerosols, and how they've informed epidemiology for several decades.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I still maintain that if it had been treated as a miasma from the beginning that would have been better than how it was actually treated, but yeah, in the real world it progresses via thesis/antithesis/synthesis and a bunch of people die to hammer it through.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ale for breakfast was normal amongst all classes back in the olden days. The Brits were permanently pissed.

True, but this would be a type of beer called 'small beer', not what we would think of as beer or ale today. The alcohol content would be a lot lower, so more like drinking shandy than modern high alcohol beer.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently before the Victorian public sewerage works, many Brits had permanent diarrhoea (so my physiotherapist told me).

In London at least the opposite problem was more common. Fruit and veg (and anything likely to perish sitting in the week-long traffic jam at Aldgate waiting to be assessed for tax) were expensive luxuries, the average diet was basically dried meat, cheese, and local(ish) seafood like eels and shellfish. Of course when cholera hit town the situation reversed spectacularly.

The drinking thing is true though. In 1850 London (population 2.5 million) got through 9 million pints of beer *a day* (and that's just the stuff that was getting taxed). For context that's 3 times more beer than the 8 million people of modern London get through. However most of it was "small beer" - .5%-1% alcohol - and even the strong stuff was only 3% compared to the 4ish of most modern lagers - given it was boiled and full of hops this was definitely way, way healthier than drinking the water in a city of extremely suspect septic tanks and shallow wells.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if all them famous inventors back then were just the only ones sober for more than 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This definitely doesn't seem like the work of someone committed to longterm sobriety.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBKqvLpxpU4