Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Remake Ocean’s Eleven except one of Ocean’s eleven is a Predator. No one acknowledges this.

Did you miss the part where Casey Affleck was in the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Remake bad movies with good concepts! It’s why Oceans Eleven is the best remake!

also The Thing, and Dredd (to an extent, as they're more re-attempts than re-makes, but whatever)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Predator doesn't need a remake. Just stand alone movies. There is no need for a continued storyline. Just have a predator movie show up in different places during different times in history.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Adapt Concrete Jungle you cowards!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Highlander 2 is doodoo-rear end.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It's remarkable how difficult it has been for directors to make something good out of the "Predator" formula (or alien formula after Alien 2)

It's literally just "scary alien hunts people in cool settings" but yet we get all these sequels completely failing to make something interesting or fun with it

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Collapsing Farts posted:

It's remarkable how difficult it has been for directors to make something good out of the "Predator" formula (or alien formula after Alien 2)

It's literally just "scary alien hunts people in cool settings" but yet we get all these sequels completely failing to make something interesting or fun with it

We already had "jungle" and "90's city".

The hell with it, Predator in the John Wick universe. Who cares, just make it cool.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The movies become bad when they take the biting commentary and satire out. The "IPs" have become parodies of themselves.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Predator 2 was a good sequel that's just not as good as the original. I thought Predators was okay, too.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Romance of the Three Predators
Sengoku Predator
Predators of the Roses

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Romance of the Three Predators
Sengoku Predator
Predators of the Roses

The Once and Future Predator

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Predator vs Predator.

It's about a Predator couple going through divorce and the impact on their lives and on their son, Chestbuster.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I still haven't seen the Shane Black Predator film, but I was shocked to hear that it turned out to be really bad. From the trailers it looked like it could be a fun action film. Plus, "hardened convicts vs. monster" is a killer premise for an action flick. Real bummer :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

That is why people don't make anything good from it. They just try to do "Cool alien hunts things" and that doesn't work without the surrounding context and themes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JordanKai posted:

I still haven't seen the Shane Black Predator film, but I was shocked to hear that it turned out to be really bad. From the trailers it looked like it could be a fun action film. Plus, "hardened convicts vs. monster" is a killer premise for an action flick. Real bummer :(
That movie had a real problematic production

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Oh GOD.

Is that one.

:gonk:

Is the one where one character is an autistic kid and happens to be a caricature of actual autistic children, and at the end gets magically "cured". :cripes:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Predator 2 was a good sequel that's just not as good as the original. I thought Predators was okay, too.

Yeah I've enjoyed all the Predators except 4, but basically ranked in release order with 1&2 close together. Why they thought they needed a kid character in a predator movie is a mystery and also yay autism stereotypes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh GOD.

Is that one.

Is the one where one character is an autistic kid and happens to be a caricature of actual autistic children, and at the end gets magically "cured". :cripes:

Yes, and he has the autistic superpower of being really good at puzzles or cryptography or whatever.

Also there is a character who has Tourette's and it's about the worst thing I've ever seen. Felt really stupid trying to assure my friends "Man, it's Shane Black doing a Predator film, how can it be at least not watchable?" WELP.

It's also got the thing where Olivia Munn understandably wanted a registered sex offender's scene cut and her costars giving her crap about it because of course.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Outside of Munn being rightfully pissed Shane Black put his sex offender friend in the movie, all I know about that Predator movie is a gif I saw of Sterling K. Brown's death scene, which was just about the most Shane Black thing possible.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh GOD.

Is that one.

Definitely remember the bad Autism but not the cured part

I thought the Shane Black Predator was ok but it didn't live up to the standard of a Predator movie or a Shane Black movie for that matter.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Also there is a character who has Tourette's and it's about the worst thing I've ever seen. Felt really stupid trying to assure my friends "Man, it's Shane Black doing a Predator film, how can it be at least not watchable?" WELP.

oh god i forgot about that

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what were the themes and commentary in predator? all i remember about it is the native american guy cutting himself with a machete and arnold covering himself with mud

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Definitely remember the bad Autism but not the cured part

Yeah, at the end the kid is making eye contact, smiling and laughing and poo poo like that. I think he even hugs a person? I dunno, the movie was dripping in ableism and it was cringy

Dawgstar posted:

Also there is a character who has Tourette's and it's about the worst thing I've ever seen.

My mind had erased that. *screams*

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

what were the themes and commentary in predator? all i remember about it is the native american guy cutting himself with a machete and arnold covering himself with mud

Messages and themes weren’t invented until the 90s. 80s movies just were.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's so bafflingly terrible compared to everything else he's made or even worked on

and yet somehow also is the highest grossing predator movie

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

The worst part with the Tourette’s character is that it’s Thomas Jane, who was criminally underused.

If the movie had just been about the Predator hunting a group of decorated veterans struggling with their issues, and drop everything else, it could’ve been a decent movie.

Arist posted:

Outside of Munn being rightfully pissed Shane Black put his sex offender friend in the movie, all I know about that Predator movie is a gif I saw of Sterling K. Brown's death scene, which was just about the most Shane Black thing possible.

The problem is you can’t even really enjoy the ridiculousness of that particular death, as it’s during a night shot and a scene in which multiple people are dying in quick succession. I only realized what happened after the fact when that character wasn’t in later scenes.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh GOD.

Is that one.

Arist posted:

Outside of Munn being rightfully pissed Shane Black put his sex offender friend in the movie

:stare: I think I might hold off on watching this film. Forever.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JordanKai posted:

Yeah, same here. I'm personally in this camp as far as ranking the other three main ones go:

Soonmot posted:

Yeah I've enjoyed all the Predators except 4, but basically ranked in release order with 1&2 close together. Why they thought they needed a kid character in a predator movie is a mystery and also yay autism stereotypes

but uh... I think I'm with you on probably skipping 4. Yikes.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't bothered to see it yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've read that a lot of stuff got cut out of the final release for time which makes the finale a mess

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

That certainly explains why Amanda's show never really felt like it was about Amanda. That poor actress.

I'd also forgotten how many musical artists - like Joan Jett - were on the show, with the special shout out to Roland Gift of the Fine Young Cannibals who was on the show a couple of times if I remember right.

The big one is really Roger Daltrey who was in like 2 or 3 eps every season until the last one. But Gift was a recurring villain as well, I believe.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JordanKai posted:

Plus, "hardened convicts vs. monster" is a killer premise for an action flick. Real bummer :(

They're not quite "hardened convicts" but if you haven't seen Attack the Block, you really should. It brought us John Boyega! Who just signed on for a sequel!

JordanKai posted:

:stare: I think I might hold off on watching this film. Forever.

For the record, the sex offender in question is not actually in the final cut of the movie because Munn complained, which is good, even if it apparently screws her character over because it leaves her without her introductory scene.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Attack the Block is great agreed

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Arist posted:

They're not quite "hardened convicts" but if you haven't seen Attack the Block, you really should. It brought us John Boyega! Who just signed on for a sequel!

gently caress. Yes. Really?!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

gently caress. Yes. Really?!

https://deadline.com/2021/05/attack-the-block-2-sequel-john-boyega-joe-cornish-reunite-nira-park-studio-canal-film4-cult-classic-1234758463/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gaz-L posted:

The issue turned out to be that the actress who played Amanda had a bunch of personal demons, including being gaslit by her manager to the point of being paranoid that she was under constant government surveillance (more than we all are, I mean).

She actually was under government surveillance, Ken Starr and the agents serving his investigation had issued a subpoena for her that they couldn't serve her while she was in Europe filming Raven. She had had an affair with Clinton shortly after getting crowned Ms. Arkansas and both Start and Paula Jones' legal team were itching to get her to testify for them.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

gently caress it, Predator movie that takes place in the Israeli occupation of Palestine. I have no idea what it would be about, but I know it would make a huge amount of people insanely loving mad, possibly up to and including me, no matter what

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

site posted:

what were the themes and commentary in predator?
If you sleep through the opening you miss out on all the Macho American Imperialism in the Central American countries, the fact that Dutch's team of highly trained dudes were set up to just murk some guerrillas and soviets for political gains, and the whole bit about the American Muscle Gun men sleepwalking through killing a bunch of locals and then having the tables turned on them when something with more advanced weaponry takes them apart like it's a total joke... and also Dutch having to revert to primalism in order to defeat the advanced hunter (Vietnam much) while also realizing that having lost the creature plays dirty and nukes himself.

Collapsing Farts posted:

That's because of a few novelties of the original:
* Arnold's screen presence
* Weathers and Ventura
* the twist once the predator comes into play
* the whole ending with the traps and imagery
* the sicknasty plasma caster thing
* the innovative Optical Camo effect
* the shock of seeing the drat crabgina monster

The predator is essentially a slasher for half the movie. They torment the main group, pop up and dissappear causing chaos, and start thinning the cast. The last part of the movie is when it starts being brought down bit by bit and becomes Mortal.

The successor films fail because it's not some unknowable thing anymore, and you count the minutes till It Does The Thing with the disc, or javelin, or takes the mask off, or...

Just find a way to adapt the loving AvP arcade game story where cybernetic Arnold and Android Asian assassin Girl pair up with 2 preds for the ultimate hunt that happens to be Weyland-Yutani's fault.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 24, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Arist posted:

I love Attack the Block! I need to rewatch it one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

If you sleep through the opening you miss out on all the Macho American Imperialism in the Central American countries, the fact that Dutch's team of highly trained dudes were set up to just murk some guerrillas and soviets for political gains, and the whole bit about the American Muscle Gun men sleepwalking through killing a bunch of locals and then having the tables turned on them when something with more advanced weaponry takes them apart like it's a total joke... and also Dutch having to revert to primalism in order to defeat the advanced hunter (Vietnam much) while also realizing that having lost the creature plays dirty and nukes himself.

That's because of a few novelties of the original:
* Arnold's screen presence
* Weathers and Ventura
* the twist once the predator comes into play
* the whole ending with the traps and imagery
* the sicknasty plasma caster thing
* the innovative Optical Camo effect
* the shock of seeing the drat crabgina monster

The predator is essentially a slasher for half the movie. They torment the main group, pop up and dissappear causing chaos, and start thinning the cast. The last part of the movie is when it starts being brought down bit by bit and becomes Mortal.

The successor films fail because it's not some unknowable thing anymore, and you count the minutes till It Does The Thing with the disc, or javelin, or takes the mask off, or...

Just find a way to adapt the loving AvP arcade game story where cybernetic Arnold and Android Asian assassin Girl pair up with 2 preds for the ultimate hunt that happens to be Weyland-Yutani's fault.

I would love to see that game adapted, or the AvP2 game which is still my favorite story from either property.