Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

The Question IRL posted:

I am assuming that it's as a TV series?

The story of Highlander is too rich and evocative to be just a single film. Even if the 90's series went off the rail, you'd want the film as either a Trilogy or a 2-3 season prestige series.

That also reminds me that I need to watch the first Highlander film before my Netflix accounts lapses.

no, it's a movie, although what does and doesn't go directly to streaming seems very uncertain these days. John Wick guy (Chad Stahelski) is directing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Henry Cavill really likes swords.

If I was an actor trained how to swordfight I'd definitely want to incorporate it (show it off) in as many projects as I could.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Lager posted:

As someone who has seen all the Highlander films, though...there can be only one.

Fixed

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lobok posted:

If I was an actor trained how to swordfight I'd definitely want to incorporate it (show it off) in as many projects as I could.

The guy is also a huge fantasy and Warcraft hunky nerd of course he is gonna take any oportunity to swing a sword.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Codependent Poster posted:

What Scottish actor can they cast to play an Egyptian with a Spanish name?

Tilda Swinton

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Lots of Queen covers.

no there's this cover of killer queen playing on my store radio and the loving audacity of whatever band this is to try a direct cover is astounding, because it sounds just enough like the original that the little changes and differences are super distracting. If you're going to cover Queen, you need to do something actually interesting and different with it like mariachi or metal.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Unfortunately Sean Connery is dead. He had great experience in similar roles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

no there's this cover of killer queen playing on my store radio and the loving audacity of whatever band this is to try a direct cover is astounding, because it sounds just enough like the original that the little changes and differences are super distracting. If you're going to cover Queen, you need to do something actually interesting and different with it like mariachi or metal.

The fifth one has cover of Princes of the Universe that is SO BAD I can't believe the guy in the sound booth didn't nail the door shut and set the studio on fire.

Scarlett Johansson is usually free.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The fifth one is the one where The Prize is being able to have kids, right?

The one thing about this one is Stahelski is gonna make sure it's open for sequels. The problem with the original film being part of a franchise was it's a story that doesn't allow follow up, hence you get the ludicrous poo poo for the second one of them being aliens and it being in Blade Runner times.

The one thing I'd want is them explaining even a hair what the Quickening actually gets you if it's not the final one. Even the TV show was a big vague about that. Like, they said it gave you their power, but there wasn't much of a sign that it made you have super-strength or like you had the memories and knowledge of the person you beheaded.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I always figured it was like the power from Rising Stars. If it's spread over 200 people and 5 of them die, the remaining 195 are not going to notice much of a change, if any. But if 150 people die, the remaining 50 will definitely realize that they're much stronger, faster, smarter, etc, etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
But it doesn't seem like rando Immortals get upgrades after a Quickening, just the headloppers.

If you take the animated show as Canon, then you gain certain knowledge or skill, but not, like, Eric the Wizer's memory of tending sheep herds or whatever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the TV show made it clear that nooblet Immortals can go toe to toe with ancient ones with hundreds of heads under their belt with minimal disadvantage.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Mario Van Peebles in 3 gained the Sorcerer’s knack for illusions when he killed him, too.

I always felt like 3 had the bones of a good workaround for being a sequel, where Kane was trapped so all the immortals killed each other off and then he pops out and only needs to fight one guy instead of dozens. The execution of that sucked though; if that had been Kane’s actual plot and he was a real sorcerer who put himself in a slumber for centuries to trick the Gathering or whatever into thinking he was already dead, that would’ve been a smart and interesting plan. Instead he just gets trapped behind a rock :effort:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The fourth one has bits with the Watchers explaining how the bad guy (another K named dude) has 666 immortal kills which makes him basically unstoppable. Then Connor forces Duncan to kill him in the dumbest scene ever and Duncan has their combine kills so he can fight him or something.

Buy it's got Donnie Yen so that was cool.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gaz-L posted:

The fifth one is the one where The Prize is being able to have kids, right?

The first film had an alternate ending where Connor became Mortal and discovered he could have kids. So the idea was there.

The film also had an alternate ending where after taking the Kurgen's head, his soul turned into a Mortal Kombat style dragon and Connor would have to fight him a second time to get the prize.

I think the second film (for all it's flaws*) had the Prize be Connor read all of humanities minds to come up with the knowledge to build a device to stop Global Warming.

Highlander had so many mad ideas and world building that a single film wouldn't do. But you need to have an overall plan for the story or else you end up with an overly long syndicated TV series.

* = Highlander 2 is not a good sequel to Highlander. But it is an okay sci-fi movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Highlander 2 fuckin rules, every version. 3 is okay, I actually saw it on opening weekend. Lambert could still pull off looking "ageless" at the time. 4 is where they merged the film and show continuity and made a huge mess of things and 5 is the apocalyptic future one where they shatter Duncan's swords and give him two random short swords so he could be more like Wolverine (this is according to something Peter Wingfield said at a con).

I think Cavill will do fine but this remake/reboot has been in development since before Highlander the Source was even made so I honestly don't think it will happen.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Desperado Bones posted:

The guy is also a huge fantasy and Warcraft hunky nerd of course he is gonna take any oportunity to swing a sword.

honestly think mans learnt how to swing a sword purely so he'd be able to play roles like that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The TV show was kind of funny in that you had a regular group of immortals who were quite content to just kind of hang around and not lop each other's melons off. Then it did that thing with syndicated genre shows where its last season was really messed with, almost like they didn't want to film it.

(Then it gave us a one season spinoff I barely remember, save that despite being about the lead character it seldom felt like it was about her.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The final season was a total mess, production moved entirely put of Canada and the budget was slashed.

Also the Raven should have been a Methos series.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rhyno posted:

Then Connor forces Duncan to kill him in the dumbest scene ever...

I saw 4 in the theater and this is the only part I remember. And Lambert's terrible hair.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Highlander 4 was notorious for the trailer having multiple scenes that were not in the finished film. I watched a video about it and they went looking for the footage to do an uncut edition and nobody knew where it had gone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

The TV show was kind of funny in that you had a regular group of immortals who were quite content to just kind of hang around and not lop each other's melons off. Then it did that thing with syndicated genre shows where its last season was really messed with, almost like they didn't want to film it.

(Then it gave us a one season spinoff I barely remember, save that despite being about the lead character it seldom felt like it was about her.)

The Raven was a mess for several reasons. One simply being the title was picked first, they spent half the final season of the parent show backdoor piloting it by introducing various female Immortals who'd team up with Duncan before going off on their own adventures, most of whom had something that would lend itself to the name (one had Raven as a surname, one had a bird motif, I think) but none of them clicked and they finally decided to just make it about Amanda, the one recurring female character on the show that had been there since the start.

The issue turned out to be that the actress who played Amanda had a bunch of personal demons, including being gaslit by her manager to the point of being paranoid that she was under constant government surveillance (more than we all are, I mean). Plus she and the male lead hated each other to the point they couldn't even be on set together. The combo of which led to a bunch of episodes being rewritten to limit her screentime, especially with him.

The original show was one of the best of that era of syndicated genre stuff, especially when they found creative ways to work within their budget. (One of my favourite being the episode where Duncan fights Rowdy Roddy Piper in an abandoned amusement park. After he kills Roddy, instead of doing cheap CG or compositing for the Quickening, they had all the rides at the park turn on by themselves, as if the power was surging through them, which looked really cool.)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I saw 4 in the theater and this is the only part I remember. And Lambert's terrible hair.
Things I remember:

* Edge and Christian make a cameo

* Lambert is put into a medicated coma along with others that want out if The Game but then they place them all together in a circle instead of spreading them out.

* Lambert gets head chopped

* I HAVE THE POWAH - Duncan

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For real, the Highlander tv series is amazing for almost all of it's run. Season 6 is terrible and should be ignored but up to that point it's one of the best syndicated shows of the era. Adrian Paul should have gone on to be a huge star but he never seemed to get a shot at anything beyond B movie schlock.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Things I remember:

* Edge and Christian make a cameo

* Lambert is put into a medicated coma along with others that want out if The Game but then they place them all together in a circle instead of spreading them out.

* Lambert gets head chopped

* I HAVE THE POWAH - Duncan

I know Adam "Edge" Copeland is in it (complete with lovely pun about his ring name), I didn't think Christian Cage/Jason Reso was, though?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

The issue turned out to be that the actress who played Amanda had a bunch of personal demons, including being gaslit by her manager to the point of being paranoid that she was under constant government surveillance (more than we all are, I mean). Plus she and the male lead hated each other to the point they couldn't even be on set together. The combo of which led to a bunch of episodes being rewritten to limit her screentime, especially with him.

That certainly explains why Amanda's show never really felt like it was about Amanda. That poor actress.

I'd also forgotten how many musical artists - like Joan Jett - were on the show, with the special shout out to Roland Gift of the Fine Young Cannibals who was on the show a couple of times if I remember right.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

For real, the Highlander tv series is amazing for almost all of it's run. Season 6 is terrible and should be ignored but up to that point it's one of the best syndicated shows of the era. Adrian Paul should have gone on to be a huge star but he never seemed to get a shot at anything beyond B movie schlock.

Yeah I have fond memories of saturday afternoons watching Highlander, Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, and Renegade along side Hercules and Xena.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

I know Adam "Edge" Copeland is in it (complete with lovely pun about his ring name), I didn't think Christian Cage/Jason Reso was, though?

Yeah, it was only Edge, but then Lambert and Paul showed up on an ep of Monday Night Raw.

There was a brief audiobook series a few years back, and one cool concept was Duncan encountered a immortal who had lived a natural life and died at the ripe old age of ... I want to say, 103? ... which is when his immortality kicked in. So this poor elderly guy was on unconscious, living on holy ground with a Watcher/nurse, and on life support to prevent him from dying over and over since his body would keep giving out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
In other remake news, Amber Midthunder (Kerri from Legion) is reported to be cast as the lead for the Predator remake.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

In other remake news, Amber Midthunder (Kerri from Legion) is reported to be cast as the lead for the Predator remake.
3rd time’s the charm?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This one is supposed to be a full remake, the other films are technically all sequels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not really sure Predator needs a remake. It is extremely a film of its era. Unless they basically intend to do something entirely new in which case all for it but it's not so much a remake then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean none of them live up to the original and I don’t see that changing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The writeup I read leaned really, really hard into "Native warrior woman" poo poo so I'm already kind of doubtful.

Maybe they'll Apocalypto it and have her survive only to deal with the scourge of the White Man, which might be enough to save it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Re: Predator, someone should really tell Hollywood that when you hit a grand slam you don’t keep swinging.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

She was cool in Legion so I'm glad she's getting more roles, even if it's for remaking a movie that doesn't need it.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Remake bad movies with good concepts! It’s why Oceans Eleven is the best remake!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Remake Ocean’s Eleven except one of Ocean’s eleven is a Predator. No one acknowledges this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Remake bad movies with good concepts! It’s why Oceans Eleven is the best remake!
Yeah there are tons of movies with decent ideas but that were made too soon or too cheaply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Soonmot posted:

Yeah I have fond memories of saturday afternoons watching Highlander, Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, and Renegade along side Hercules and Xena.

I miss that era of cool syndicated tv so much.