Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The initial assault was pretty horrific, Sammy and Jericho in particular looked like extras from Carrie

Yeah, but there were no serious long term character consequences. I think if they had just committed to the idea of MJF playing Jericho and Sammy walking then all of that would have been real damage that they had to recover from as characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Did the Inner Circle literally apologise for being heels? I admit that I've been largely checked out during most of their promos since the MJF betrayal but all I remember is them changing outfits and now the fake crowd do cringeworthy Hager chants

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Tarnop posted:

Did the Inner Circle literally apologise for being heels? I admit that I've been largely checked out during most of their promos since the MJF betrayal but all I remember is them changing outfits and now the fake crowd do cringeworthy Hager chants

jericho came out and said he was being an rear end in a top hat, or something close to that effect, after the mjf double cross and pinnacle reveal

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Yeah, though they more or less just blamed it on MJF rather than taking responsibility for their actions pre-MJF.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

In their first return promo Jericho gave a quick speech about how after what Pinnacle had done to them they realized that maybe doing that for 18 months to everyone else was a bad thing and apologized. I personally thought it was kinda silly and lazy but others really liked it. So I dunno.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

A convincing sudden face turn does seem a lot harder to pull off than the heel equivalent, so I'm prepared to give them a bit of leeway. It's also sort of weird when it's a whole faction at once, especially when half seem like natural babyfaces and the other half natural heels.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This is pro wrestling and they have a weekly schedule to keep, which means that it's probably better to not make your storytelling any more complicated than it has to be.

And given how good MJF is at heeling you don't need any major justification to make the IC convincing babyfaces.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jericho's faceturn promo was godawful. At least when HBK did the "ok, that was a thing now I'm a good guy now, ok?" promo there was enough lovely booking involved that people could buy it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Three of them are natural faces, Jericho is being Sammy's buddy and hates MJF enough to do whatever, Hager has no idea where he is or what he's doing but he has people to hit.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jericho's face turn promo was awful because the only thing that happened is that they were beaten up by bigger, badder heels.
Of course people cheer Jericho no matter what so it didn't strictly have to be good.
If IC breaks up and Hager still sticks around I say gently caress it, have JR manage him. You love Oklahoma bad enough to stan for the guy he can be your problem now.
Are there any other boomer sooners in wrestling to team him with?

Changing the subject for a minute; was Matt beating Pillman Jr. with the sharpshooter a dungeon reference? It didn't click for me because there are some big degrees of separation there.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 23, 2021

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lamuella posted:

Three of them are natural faces, Jericho is being Sammy's buddy and hates MJF enough to do whatever, Hager has no idea where he is or what he's doing but he has people to hit.

yeah I felt the faceturn promo should have focused on the IC never being about just Jericho's ego but the collective big egos of all these assholes that you secretly love, even this giant rear end jabronie jake hager (*crowd awkwardly pops*). Then make Jake recite a positive slogan like "Black Lives Matter" and that's all he's allowed to say.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah, I mean Jericho and the IC were doing the sorta-lovable assholes thing all along. Because that's Jericho's bread and butter. But then you have some real assholes come in and mess them up. The rooting interest is obvious.

Dax is actually the biggest heel in The Pinnacle because he cuts great promos about how wrestling is too fun and interesting these days.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

ChrisBTY posted:

Are there any other boomer sooners in wrestling to team him with?
Rebel and Fuego del Sol are both from Oklahoma, as is Bill Goldberg. Past that there's uh... Brent Albright and Erik Watts? I guess Gerry Brisco is a free agent right now? Open the Forbidden Door and so a gimmick change for the Great O-Klahoman?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The only reason why the audience ever booed Jericho in the first place is because he's just that good at heeling it up.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The Rise and Fall of AEW Peacock Special will portray Tully on Spear's penis area as AEW's fingerpoke of doom.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

STAC Goat posted:

I find the sincerely apologetic thing very false. I think it all would have played better if they had allowed Jericho to be the "bad guy" who got played by MJF and had to make it up to the others and win them back. It would have made Jericho's apologies feel more sincere and the other guys would have gotten distance from culpability and more sympathy.

I think that's the problem. The Pinnacle didn't really do anything major to Inner Circle. They injured Jericho, embarrassed them, bloodied them a bit, got Santana arrested. I think it would have been a lot bigger if MJF had really broken the Inner Circle and they had to try and heal as a group.

I'm not trying to disregard your right to an opinion, but it is pretty funny to consider putting Santana in jail as nothing major. You go spend 2 weeks in jail, see if you like it!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1396587254718648331?s=19
Lotsa new blood this week

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I TOLD YOU WE'D GET COLTEN AND BILLY GUNN MATCHES

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

hook is gonna suplex joey janela

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

In regards to IC I think I'd just rather watch a segment of Bubbly Bunch or whatever instead of the promos they've been throwing down lately.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

I'm not trying to disregard your right to an opinion, but it is pretty funny to consider putting Santana in jail as nothing major. You go spend 2 weeks in jail, see if you like it!

In one of his last major feuds, santana stabbed a man in the eye with car keys, and then was stabbed in his own eye with keys

In this feud...

He had to stay home for two weeks because of travel or whatever and they tossed out a "He's in jail" line, without even filming him in a lockup or anything.

There's just a level of difference between what the Inner Circle has done to others in the past to make a feud feel hot, and what has been done to them.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

rotinaj posted:

In one of his last major feuds, santana stabbed a man in the eye with car keys, and then was stabbed in his own eye with keys

In this feud...

He had to stay home for two weeks because of travel or whatever and they tossed out a "He's in jail" line, without even filming him in a lockup or anything.

There's just a level of difference between what the Inner Circle has done to others in the past to make a feud feel hot, and what has been done to them.

Santana didn't stab Mox, Jericho did.

Also I think Santana was sick last taping so like.. maybe it's a bit unreasonable to expect a filmed vignette.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

rotinaj posted:

In this feud...

Word was they kept Santana out of the last set of tapings due to illness, so I can understand them not filming anything for him.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok

That doesn’t change the fact that this feud keeps missing when they could do stuff to heighten anticipation. It feels like they basically are assuming that any and all of the build for past things for Jericho, the inner circle, MJF, FTR, and the Pinnacle just automatically made this feud hot, and they kinda rushed through all the parts that would be fun. I was hoping for weeks of back and forth warfare like that segment where the pinnacle was in the inner circle locker room, and they opened the bathroom door, and there was the circle. That was cool and good and fun. Them doing an in unison cheer of how much they want to fight in the stadium stampede was less so.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd be fine with IC losing Stadium Stampede. They've been around long enough, and they need to get P&P and to a lesser extent Sammy the hell away from Hager and Jericho. Hager can be Jericho's bodyguard and I guess tag partner or something, fine, but it feels like the rest of the crew is never going to break their current ceiling if they stay in their positions.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/shidahikaru/status/1396584160085614594

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I guess she's good with the title changing hands next sunday. It'll be interesting what post-title angles Shida will get. Maybe do Abadon again?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

They haven't done Deeb/Shida yet. Could be fun, maybe do a three way program with Thunder Rosa.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I wouldnt mind seeing more tag team stuff with Conti and Shida as a team.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

shida should whoop conti's rear end or julia or somebody and go full heel in that suit all the time. and whoop peoples rear end.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cavauro posted:

shida should whoop conti's rear end or julia or somebody and go full heel in that suit all the time. and whoop peoples rear end.

:hmmyes:

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Shida can't turn heel on Conti. That's Anna Jay's job

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

PUT IT RIGHT IN MY VEINS

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

rotinaj posted:

Ok

That doesn’t change the fact that this feud keeps missing when they could do stuff to heighten anticipation. It feels like they basically are assuming that any and all of the build for past things for Jericho, the inner circle, MJF, FTR, and the Pinnacle just automatically made this feud hot, and they kinda rushed through all the parts that would be fun. I was hoping for weeks of back and forth warfare like that segment where the pinnacle was in the inner circle locker room, and they opened the bathroom door, and there was the circle. That was cool and good and fun. Them doing an in unison cheer of how much they want to fight in the stadium stampede was less so.

I'm just coming the total opposite direction. I liked that week of backstage brawling, but after that let's get to the matches. Hopefully IC loses and we can move on. I don't get the "rush" thing when this Jericho/MJF story has been going on for months. I don't feel deprived of like New Japan style undercard tags of Spears & FTR vs Guevara & PnP. Would the matches be good? Yeah probably, but I'm good on this story going even longer.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Shida/Starlander needs to happen again

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Shida and Conti steal Statlander from Best Friends to form the Ultimate league of nations. And tear Cody down.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

If Shida doesn't turn at DoN I'd love to see Shida/Stat/Tay as a trio.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MorningMoon posted:

Shida and Conti steal Statlander from Best Friends to form the Ultimate league of nations. And tear Cody down.
How do you not put Leyla in this unit?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

coconono posted:

I guess she's good with the title changing hands next sunday. It'll be interesting what post-title angles Shida will get. Maybe do Abadon again?

she becomes yakuza queen and starts the first womens faction that kicks everyones rear end including kenny and miro and the bucks

Cavauro posted:

yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I want the IC to break up so P&P can move on to do their own thing and :wardlow: can finally have a role other than "Bizarro Hager"