Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

:owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tinkle is stored in the bells

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (February 20, 1993)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (October 18-20, 1934)

Whatever you say, Lefty. And Trotsky died in a mountaineering accident.

Please keep posting this; it’s a great historical treasure and an interest look at parts of American culture and society that don’t get shown.

But I gotta say that it’s amusing as hell that even Communist comic strips are strident and humorless.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Sneeze 4/1-3/43

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Mandrake

(only one comic because these don't include Sundays)

Johnny Hazard is also weekdays only. And I'm prepared to drop it like a hot potato if the 'tribesmen' are as racist as I'm afraid they'll be.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I want a spin-off comic of the Ape. He's not a good guy, but he's interesting.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Is the conclusion he just wants to have sex with these women that hard to arrive at?

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

I was thinking about it and what I think they should have done with Flash Forward is choose an old Sunday story and used that as a script for different artists to use for each week. That way we'd get a story instead of a series of unconnected vignettes, but we'd still get the takes of different artists.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (February 20, 1993)

I'm dying to know, do they come back to the parentage of that kid or no

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "63 - Jucika and the Birdsong"

Do NOT mess with Jucika.

"Jucika and Slippery Ice"

Strong as heck!

As promised that when seen they would be added to a regular post I've seen Jucika 50 during JucikaInOrder's second run from start to finish. They're around 49-51 as of today and my gaps were observed going back further to keep pulling the strips in order. Strip 50 is a full page series of panels with dialogue from Jucika herself! I'm posting the original and the translation as well as spoilering them for a rear full nudity panel. Jucika really has a clever dry wit and oodles of charm. :haw: Also love that she alternates between classic classy dame and Ready To Flatten A Dude footballer so naturally.

NSFW Nudity Original

NSFW Nudity Translation

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

ok another phrase I've never heard of https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/on-approval

am I wrong for not knowing it or is Skelley using an ancient boomer term no one uses anymore

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online? Animals.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cccccccome on, Billingsley, that's wholesale cobbled together from Calvin & Hobbes strips. The line about hearing Curtis' heart beating is a direct quote.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

EBB posted:

I'm dying to know, do they come back to the parentage of that kid or no

The kid is obviously not Pekka's but it's not really addressed in this run of the comic. The last album, made over a decade later and not published in a magazine*, had a character who probably is her father, but even then there is no definitive resolution. It's pretty weird and ultimately unsatisfactory subplot.

Edit: apparently the last album was published in a magazine, the one before it wasn't

LazyQ fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 23, 2021

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

curtadams posted:

This is just so off emotionally. Nils has been shown as having pretty severe social anxiety, and it's just all wrong for him to make a strong expression of affection and emotional resilience after an evening of being insulted by Bernice. Likewise Bernice has given no indications she's interested in Nils (she's having wet dreams about Jock, even) nor has she ever been the kind of person who would give a a flirtatious or pity kiss. And the worst part is that if Nils had said he liked her and was hurt that she was so dismissive of his art, it would work great. The authors just don't get it.
I'd also call BS on Bernice being the "smartest, most interesting girl" anyone's ever met, but that's just me.

The Dinette Set bundle

Working Daze pile of garbage.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

The kid is obviously not Pekka's but it's not really addressed in this run of the comic. The last album, made over a decade later and not published in a magazine*, had a character who probably is her father, but even then there is no definitive resolution. It's pretty weird and ultimately unsatisfactory subplot.

Edit: apparently the last album was published in a magazine, the one before it wasn't

That's a shame. A little mystery is okay since we see the effect on the story anyways.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

you broke my grill posted:

ok another phrase I've never heard of https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/on-approval

am I wrong for not knowing it or is Skelley using an ancient boomer term no one uses anymore
He is in fact using a term nobody uses anymore. I'm assuming it fell out of use around the time big box stores all started having formal return policies.

If you're going to do this style of 'puzzle', it works a lot better if 2/3rds of your panels don't involve people identifying actors and mostly-forgotten 90s cartoon movie mice by sight. (and "gee en eff arr en es ten" is really a stretch for Jennifer Aniston anyway)

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 23, 2021

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Vargo posted:

Wallace

It gets said a lot, and goes unsaid a lot too I'm sure, but Wallace is wonderful. This is just gorgeous. :allears:

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

more strips need sterling

add sterling to vintage prince valiant

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd also call BS on Bernice being the "smartest, most interesting girl" anyone's ever met, but that's just me.

Luann is smarter and more interesting, and she's the person equivalent of dry white toast made from Wonder Bread.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

^^ Agreed. Will Henry just wanted to paint flowers!

Classic Zits

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think Sterling is the least good part of Wallace

Also shame on anyone who forgets An American Tail

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (October 6, 1945)
Oh no!

B Kliban

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlqLHcphyw

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Sep 30, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 23-24, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

Flash Forward

I was thinking about it and what I think they should have done with Flash Forward is choose an old Sunday story and used that as a script for different artists to use for each week. That way we'd get a story instead of a series of unconnected vignettes, but we'd still get the takes of different artists.

I had way too much trouble figuring out what was going on with this one. The third panel seemed to imply that Flash had already knocked the guy out, so Dale was just...shooting at nothing to prove she knew how to use a ray gun? Barker was so caught up in her smug girls rule punchline she forgot to properly set it up with a panel of Flash getting his rear end kicked.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (May 26, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Life (Without Skippy), because Skippy skipped a week. At least we got a Crosby cover in exchange. (May 21, 1925)

(Gluyas Williams)

(Al Frueh)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

you broke my grill posted:

No, I'd never heard of it before either. Which just makes the teenager being the one to use it here that much more galling.

LazyQ posted:

I'm still stuck on the black guy's wife apparently cucking him for another man...while he himself was cucking that other guy's wife into a twin pregnancy? There's way too much cucking in this comic, especially given how hard it can be to tell characters apart sometimes.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can believe that a guy like Nils can believe that, since he's so young and stupid he probably thinks she's smart and interesting just because she wears glasses and has a pompous attitude.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm still stuck on the black guy's wife apparently cucking him for another man...while he himself was cucking that other guy's wife into a twin pregnancy? There's way too much cucking in this comic, especially given how hard it can be to tell characters apart sometimes.

The black guy's wife was raped during the war, as I understand it.

Also, he wasn't screwing Pekka's wife, that was a red herring to set up the twins joke at the end of the plot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Ahahahahahaha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDjX4-LKqCA

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Vargo posted:

Wallace

Just wanted to paint flowers. :3:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm still stuck on the black guy's wife apparently cucking him for another man...
she was raped.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

(Al Frueh)

I saw something similar in a old Gasoline Alley from the 20s, it cracks me up that the invention of home radio brought in home exercise programs, because it really shows how much society has evolved while keeping the same basic concepts.

We've gone from this to Pendleton in 100 years.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

she was raped.

How does everyone know this but me? Did I miss a line of exposition somewhere?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some Guy TT posted:

The intro to that comic where the babies are revealed was "I can't believe you nearly killed your wife for being raped before she escaped." "I can't believe you actually gave me booze to calm me down."

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (May 31, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 20, 1918)

Banana Oil! (March 28, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 6, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (December 7, 1935)

Mopsy (February 5, 1937)

Dark Laughter (October 13, 1945)

Those Were the Days (May 28, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (August 26, 1965)

Wee Pals (August 26, 1965)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (June 27, 1992)

It's here in the first two dialogues from Rikhard - "...especially when she's expecting someone else's child ... though not willingly, of course. At least you got her back alive."
To be fair, you could say that Rikhard is being 'diplomatic' there due to the ellipses, but I don't think there's necessarily any reason to interpret it that way given the wife's return was prefaced by Mukku telling a story about watching soldiers literally bowling with his family's heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (July 20, 1918)

America was barely able to make it through WWI, all because that one guy failed to take off his hat.