Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

Oof. That's a real shame, it looks fun as hell.

Note: Normally I would have said 'one year in the oven' but their progress is so slow (maybe they have day jobs and this is the side gig?) that I transformed it into a more realistic two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I suppose there isn't going to be an Index 2 until DP 2.0 and HL3VR?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If you liked Demeo, you may like this one. It released past year on PSVR, I believe
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1030310/Table_of_Tales_The_Crooked_Crown/

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

If you liked Demeo, you may like this one. It released past year on PSVR, I believe

That looks pretty cool, but would be way cooler if it had coop.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Turin Turambar posted:

I had this idea in my head and hear they are stealing it before it was in my head and finishing it....

Anyways. Anyone remember Rigs, the VR mech sport game that was not popular enough to keep alive on psvr... Has anyone ripped it off for PC, I miss it. I liked that you could move a lot faster than Vox and the game modes were fun.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Does anyone use something (or specifically, the "shell front cover") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZKPHGB...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== ?

I've been meaning to get an elite strap, or a knock off, but also I hate that the Quest 2 is white and that getting all sweaty will make the straps at the very least all gross and discolored from sweat stains. The shell front cover would basically just make it one consistent color, instead of having a black strap with a white shell, and white controllers, etc. or even something like this, and then I can get a better strap that has more consistent reviews https://www.amazon.com/KIWI-design-...tronics&sr=1-27

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

AND i prefer touch 1.0 over the new ones tbqh.

It’s insane that no one, not even oculus themselves have topped the CV1 controllers

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s insane that no one, not even oculus themselves have topped the CV1 controllers

Truth. The newest ones are closer but its just not the same and I still don't understand why they don't just copy paste the old ones into a new headset ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The one part about the PSVR2 that I find exciting is that they've basically made Touch knockoffs but added force feedback triggers. I'm really hoping the next version of Touch borrows that idea.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What’s the prognosis for the Q2’s hand tracking being generally available through PCVR? Like will I ever be able to play steamvr games without controllers in my hand at all?

I don’t even have a quest, I’m just curious where it’s heading.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tip posted:

The one part about the PSVR2 that I find exciting is that they've basically made Touch knockoffs but added force feedback triggers. I'm really hoping the next version of Touch borrows that idea.

I'm ultra concerned about how big they look and 2h interactions with things like pistols. I already clack poo poo together with touch/index and anything bigger is gonna just be memes tbqh

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Bad Munki posted:

What’s the prognosis for the Q2’s hand tracking being generally available through PCVR? Like will I ever be able to play steamvr games without controllers in my hand at all?

I don’t even have a quest, I’m just curious where it’s heading.

Practically speaking, I think most games out now will play better with distinct controllers. I did :words: about it some time back, but basically the instant, tactile, unmistakably precise input of a button has some major advantages over empty hands, so games would need to be designed around empty hands. Otherwise you'll have stuff like with the Wii where the game doesn't interpret your motion correctly, so you don't do what you want to do, and you get annoyed and wish you could just press a button.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Me, I just want somebody to make an NES emulator for the Quest 2 but it can only be played with hand tracking and it emulates the Power Glove. You also have to use your free hand to press the buttons on the back of your Power Glove hand.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Shine posted:

Practically speaking, I think most games out now will play better with distinct controllers. I did :words: about it some time back, but basically the instant, tactile, unmistakably precise input of a button has some major advantages over empty hands, so games would need to be designed around empty hands. Otherwise you'll have stuff like with the Wii where the game doesn't interpret your motion correctly, so you don't do what you want to do, and you get annoyed and wish you could just press a button.

I just wanna play poker but to bystanders it looks like I’m Johnny Mnemonic

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Bad Munki posted:

I just wanna play poker but to bystanders it looks like I’m Johnny Mnemonic

Yeah, games like Poker Stars I think would play just fine with empty hands. I was thinking more something like Echo VR, where you wouldn't want the game to accidentally activate your jet booster because you stretched your fingers or something.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Seems like something like gorilla tag would also be highly amenable.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

King Vidiot posted:

Me, I just want somebody to make an NES emulator for the Quest 2 but it can only be played with hand tracking and it emulates the Power Glove. You also have to use your free hand to press the buttons on the back of your Power Glove hand.

3dsen VR is a sweet NES emulator that you should check out, although there are no fake power glove controls.

edit: vvvvv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TY4-CAQEOc Surely someone is working on a profile for the second one, but maybe the first will be sufficient for the time being?

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 24, 2021

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I just want someone to port retroarch and let me play Goonies 2 on an imax screen

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

Truth. The newest ones are closer but its just not the same and I still don't understand why they don't just copy paste the old ones into a new headset ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Because the touch 1.0 design doesn't work well with inside-out tracking. That's why they flipped the ring.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tip posted:

That looks pretty cool, but would be way cooler if it had coop.

I read that the PSVR version the player in VR was the DM and the rest of players had to play on the 2d screen, together. However I read that mode won't be on the PC version so... maybe it will have normal coop instead? No idea.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

I read that the PSVR version the player in VR was the DM and the rest of players had to play on the 2d screen, together. However I read that mode won't be on the PC version so... maybe it will have normal coop instead? No idea.

It's listed on Steam as single player only.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy

Pretty good posted:

I just want someone to port retroarch and let me play Goonies 2 on an imax screen

https://www.emuvr.net/ I think you might be pleasantly surprised. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZsBaOFi9vM

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Holy crap, an actual way to play old lightgun games in VR. I didn't even know anyone had done that yet but my quest just got twice as useful to me

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Bad Munki posted:

I don't think it would work with something like Gorilla Tag, where your hands are out of the view of the headset cameras large part of the time.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I am, regrettably, a non computer haver living out of a suitcase, otherwise I would be all about this.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Saukkis posted:

I don't think it would work with something like Gorilla Tag, where your hands are out of the view of the headset cameras large part of the time.

Well, that's fair. I get used to lighthouse tracking and forget about that, although by all accounts the quest is ridiculously good at guessing hand position, but yeah, there's literally no way to guess a hand [io]pose[/I] when it's out of sight.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LtFPTtT7Zc

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

The biggest problem with Quest's hand tracking is that the headset needs to be looking at your hands for it to work. If your hands aren't in the headset's cameras' vision your hands are not tracked, because it's relying on the on-headset cameras to track them. So a game like Gorilla Tag would probably not work very well because of how often your hands need to be interacting with the floor while you're looking elsewhere.

I don't think hand tracking will ever be a serious thing without dedicated hardware/gloves/sensors on your hands so they can be tracked non-visually.

e: oh I was badly beaten to this :kiddo:

Quest hand tracking in general is a neat novelty but it's just not good/accurate enough to be used as anything more. If one hand is behind the other it stops working so you can't have any interactions where your hands cross paths, you can't have a hand off-screen, for your finger position to matter your hands have to be held at an angle that makes that specific finger easy for the cameras to see, etc. It's kind of fun to control virtual desktop stuff with it or whatever because it feels like the future though.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 24, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I was gonna say "you can pretty much already do that with virtual desktop and the emulator of your choice" but the lightgun implementation there is goddamn cool

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Any recommended better straps for the quest 2? A quick look on amazon showed this for £30, good bet or should I be looking for something more official?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09137FZNT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_5RR19T7S7K5DXMZFZ9FQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EbolaIvory posted:

They really wanted better battery life for the Q2 controllers, for one thing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

This is cool, but it also makes me feel old and depressed.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is cool, but it also makes me feel old and depressed.

I find the whole “playing in your childhood bedroom” thing to be a little on the nose honestly. I just want to play the games, not try to relive my lost youth.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Subjunctive posted:

They really wanted better battery life for the Q2 controllers, for one thing.

Aye, But what does that have to do with the shape of the plastic? Nothing.

Jack Trades posted:

Because the touch 1.0 design doesn't work well with inside-out tracking. That's why they flipped the ring.

Ring isnt my issue, its the rest of the controller. They could have left the rest of it untouched tbqh.

The newest ones are a step closer, and im sure next revision will be better. Its just laughable how they went totally backwards.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Has anyone heard if Google earth will ever come to the Q2? I got one for my parents this weekend and that would be the killer app for them. My dad's pc only has integrated video, so I doubt airlink is an option.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Enos Cabell posted:

Has anyone heard if Google earth will ever come to the Q2? I got one for my parents this weekend and that would be the killer app for them. My dad's pc only has integrated video, so I doubt airlink is an option.

No, but I recently just played this and it’s very nice looking https://store.steampowered.com/app/1248990/Mrdalssandur_Iceland/

There’s a version in the Quest store and the guy has like 4 other similar ‘games’, which i assume are all similarly pleasant experiences.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Imhotep posted:

No, but I recently just played this and it’s very nice looking https://store.steampowered.com/app/1248990/Mrdalssandur_Iceland/

There’s a version in the Quest store and the guy has like 4 other similar ‘games’, which i assume are all similarly pleasant experiences.

Oh, I think they'd love that. Thanks!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bloodplay it again posted:

3dsen VR is a sweet NES emulator that you should check out, although there are no fake power glove controls.

I actually have that and it's really cool. I just thought it would be funny to try and use the Power Glove with hand tracking (or an Index, I guess). I was mostly responding to the posters talking about using hand tracking to "press" buttons with finger gestures... like the Power Glove tried and failed to do.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Imhotep posted:

This is just the map from Death Stranding, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

King Vidiot posted:

I actually have that and it's really cool. I just thought it would be funny to try and use the Power Glove with hand tracking (or an Index, I guess). I was mostly responding to the posters talking about using hand tracking to "press" buttons with finger gestures... like the Power Glove tried and failed to do.

I actually just sold my old power glove. It was a pretty neat system for it's time, but it was garbage to actually play a game with.